June 19, 2005
Peter and Lois invite their friends to a game night. While playing Trivial Pursuit, Lois switches Peterís question cards with those from the preschool edition so he can feel smarter and when he wins, he thinks heís a certified genius. His new attitude gets on everyoneís nerves and Brian tells him to take the MacArthur test to prove heís a genius. Peter takes the test and the results say that heís not a genius, but in fact, heís mentally retarded. Peter begins feeling like an idiot for having special needs, but when he accidentally runs over Tom Tucker and he doesn't press any charges because of Peters condition, Peter thinks he can get away with anything and used his condition to do anything he wants without retribution. When he enters a fast food restaurant, he tries to steal the kitchenís deep fryer and accidentally spills the hot liquid on Lois.
Lois ends up in the hospital and Peter has his children taken away because heís mentally unfit to care for them. The kids are now placed under Clevelandís care, but Peter wants his kids back. He devises a plan to make Cleveland look like a bad father by inviting several prostitutes into his house, but Cleveland and a child services worker donít fall for it and Peter is sent to court Peter attempts to appeal to the judge to have his kids back, but is denied. As Peter starts to accept that the Griffin family will never be together again, Lois walks in, having fully recovered and has regained custody of the children. Peter is happy to have his family back, as well as the fact that Lois will be smelling like French fries for the next six months.
"Petarded" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: Peter develops a pretentious attitude after he wins a game of Trivial Pursuit (that Lois rigged with questions from the preschool edition).
- Bait and Switch: In a Cutaway Gag, when a man in 1945 Hiroshima who got a parking ticket and mud splashed on his asks how his day can get any worse, he sees something falling above him and says "Oh...my...God". He gets attacked by a monkey.
- Brick Joke: A Cutaway Gag shows a National Geographic documentary about firetrucks. At the very end, Peter gets attacked by a firetruck.
- Department of Child Disservices: Inverted, since Peter has given social services every reason to think he is horrible father and place them with the more level headed Cleveland in the meantime.
- Deleted Scene + Bowdlerization: On the DVD version, there's a scene after Peter talks to Joe about what it's like to be disabled (even though Joe is physically disabled while Peter is mentally disabled) where Joe calls everyone to tell them that Peter is retarded (the whole scene is a musical parody of the telephone scene from Bye Bye Birdie). It was edited on FOX because the censors did not like the overuse of the word, "retarded."
- Disability as an Excuse for Jerkassery: Peter takes advantage of his mental condition to do anything he wants, like going into the womens' bathroom and announcing "Testicles!" over a restaurant loudspeaker. It comes back to bite him in the ass later when Lois is put in the hospital for grease burns and the kids are taken away to live with Cleveland.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Even when trying to do good and prove he is a good father to social services, Peter interprets this as making Cleveland looking like a bad father and framing him for prostitution.
- Jerk Justifications: Peter uses every and any excuse to act like a complete prick to those around him. When he wins a rigged Trivial Pursuit he becomes conceited and talks down to everyone, when he discovers he is retarded he exploits his condition to get away with any trouble he causes. When it finally bites him back and he has to prove his entitlement to his kids, he decides to do so by framing Cleveland (their current guardian) for mistreatment.
- Karma Houdini: Played with, as Peter doesn't get any retribution for his antics because he's legally retarded.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Peter after Lois' ends up in the hospital because of his shenanigans.
- Never My Fault: Peter complains in court about "getting the bum rap" just for being retarded, disregarding even outside his stupidity, he had used his condition to act like a irresponsible jerk to his friends and family.
- Precision F-Strike
Brian: YEEEEAH, IN YOUR FUCKING FACE, FUCKWAD!!!
- The number of prostitutes are counted in a manner similar to Sesame Street.
- To cope with his retardation, Peter gets Verne to be his social worker.
- Stewie says Meg clears her sinuses like Felix Unger.
- Take That: On Peter's intelligence chart "Retarded" is below "Average" and above "Creationist"
- Too Dumb to Live: Peter. Justified in that this episode reveals that Peter is mentally retarded, so all those past times he did stupid things was because of mental retardation and not him being an expy of Homer Simpson (though some Family Guy detractors will still believe this).
- The entire cast decide to play Paintball with real police guns. Only Lois briefly questions the idea.
Peter: Alright, alright. Nobody fire at Lois, she's scared.
- You Monster!: The Judge says this to Peter, unfazed by his Rousing Speech.