Recap / Family Guy S 4 E 5 The Cleveland Loretta Quagmire
June 12, 2005
While on a fishing trip, Loretta (Cleveland's first wife) hits on Quagmire and the two are caught by Peter and Brian having sex. When Cleveland finds out, he reacts with indifference, and Peter decides to teach Cleveland not to be such a doormat.
"The Cleveland-Loretta Quagmire" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- Angst? What Angst?: In-Universe, Lois is concerned over the fact that Cleveland isn't at all affected by the fact that Loretta cheated on him and kicked him out of the house. A double-dose of this trope occurs when Peter and Brian reveal to him that Quagmire is the one she slept with.
- Bad Impressionists: Peter attempts to get a rise out of Cleveland by imitating Quagmire (albeit badly): "Look at me, I'm Quagmire. I had sex with your wife. Giggity giggity giggity giggity!"
- Bittersweet Ending: Cleveland and Quagmire are friends again, but Cleveland is now divorced.
- Chekhov's Gun: Subverted twice, Peter refuses to use his CPR on Cleveland when he strangles him by putting a plastic bag over his head, while Adam West's banana (naturally) does nothing to protect Quagmire.
- The Chew Toy: Joe's property is destroyed by the Petercopter and the Hindenpeter.
- The Dog Bites Back: Henpecked Husband and local Extreme Doormat Cleveland finally snaps after Loretta has an affair.
- The Bewitched parody also has Darrin get back at Endora by splashing holy water on her.
Darrin: Power of Christ compels ya, bitch!
- Extreme Doormat: Cleveland, which is one of the reasons why Loretta cheated, until he Took a Level in Badass.
- Gone Horribly Right: Peter succeeds in getting Cleveland to stop being so passive, but he becomes so furious at Quagmire that he ends up trying to kill him.
Lois: Peter, I think you've created a monster!
- Groin Attack: Occurs to Peter, who was a victim in the series "Kicked in the Nuts".
- Hypocritical Humor: In the cutaway of Cleveland and Quagmire acting like the Fenstruk Brothers (the CasanovaWannabes from 1970s Saturday Night Live), Peter (dressed as Beldar Conehead) comes in and says, "You guys look stupid!"
- Innocuously Important Episode: The events in this episode would ultimately lead to Cleveland getting his own show (The Cleveland Show).
- Ironic Echo Cut: When Peter and Brian discover the affair, they decide not to tell anyone, saying that would be the last thing in the world they would do. Cut to them having literally done everything in the world and telling everyone about the affair.
- Also, when Quagmire begs Peter not to tell Cleveland about him and Loretta, Peter promises not to tell. Cut to Peter telling Cleveland.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Even Loretta thinks it's pathetic that Cleveland apologizes to her for her cheating on him.
- Karma Houdini: Defied by Quagmire. While Cleveland doesn't have it in his heart to kill him, Quagmire acknowledges he hurt his friend, and is willing to let him vent his anger boxing.
- Law of Disproportionate Response
I hate Bewitched
! (flips couch over)
- Not What It Looks Like: When Joe is pulled from the sea, Peter merely pokes at him with a stick. One of the Puerto Ricans gives Joe CPR, which leads Peter to proclaim, "Aw, gay!"
- Pastel-Chalked Freeze Frame: The ending, parodying Rocky III.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Loretta gives one to Cleveland.
Loretta: I cheat on you and you apologize to me? Cleveland Brown, you are pathetic.
- Cleveland gives her one toward the end.
Cleveland: I may not be perfect, but I deserve better than you.
- Sassy Black Woman: Loretta.
- Status Quo Is God: Halfway averted. Cleveland and Quagmire's friendship is still intact (after a good boxing match to get out their anger) but Cleveland and Loretta break up afterwards.
- Take That!: One cutaway pokes fun at John Edwards.
- Teach Him Anger: Peter tries to teach Cleveland to show his emotions. It works a little too well.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Cleveland tells this to Loretta.
- Timmy in a Well: Parodied. When they first hear Loretta screaming, Brian tries to tell Peter what's going on. Peter doesn't understand him and repeatedly guesses badly, but when Brian deadpans "Woof," he gets it.
- To The Bat Noun: Peter shouts "To the Peter-copter!" and later "To the Hinden-Peter!" Both end badly.
- Unstoppable Rage: Cleveland's rampage through Quagmire's house.