Recap: Family Guy S 4 E 5 The Cleveland Loretta Quagmire
June 12, 2005
While on a fishing trip, Loretta (Cleveland's first wife) hits on Quagmire and the two are caught by Peter and Brian having sex. When Cleveland finds out, he reacts with indifference, and Peter decides to teach Cleveland not to be such a doormat.
"The Cleveland-Loretta Quagmire" contains examples of (YMMV goes here):
- Bittersweet Ending: Cleveland and Quagmire are friends again, but Cleveland is now divorced.
- Chekhov's Gun: Subverted twice, Peter refuses to use his CPR on Cleveland when he strangles him by putting a plastic bag over his head, while Adam West's banana (naturally) does nothing to protect Quagmire.
- The Dog Bites Back: Henpecked Husband and local Extreme Doormat Cleveland finally snaps after Loretta has an affair.
- The Bewitched parody also has Darrin get back at Endora by splashing holy water on her.
Darrin: Power of Christ compels ya, bitch!
- Extreme Doormat: Cleveland, which is one of the reasons why Loretta cheated, until he Took a Level in Badass.
- Groin Attack: Occurs to Peter, who was a victim in the series "Kicked in the Nuts".
- Hypocritical Humor: In the cutaway of Cleveland and Quagmire acting like the Fenstruk Brothers (the CasanovaWannabes from 1970s Saturday Night Live), Peter (dressed as Beldar Conehead) comes in and says, "You guys look stupid!"
- Innocuously Important Episode: The events in this episode would ultimately lead to Cleveland getting his own show (The Cleveland Show).
- Ironic Echo Cut: When Peter and Brian discover the affair, they decide not to tell anyone, saying that would be the last thing in the world they would do. Cut to them having literally done everything in the world and telling everyone about the affair.
- Also, when Quagmire begs Peter not to tell Cleveland about him and Loretta, Peter promises not to tell. Cut to Peter telling Cleveland.
- Karma Houdini: Defied by Quagmire. While Cleveland doesn't have it in his heart to kill him, Quagmire acknowledges he hurt his friend, and is willing to let him vent his anger boxing.
- Law of Disproportionate Response
I hate Bewitched
! (flips couch over)
- Not What It Looks Like: When Joe is pulled from the sea, Peter merely pokes at him with a stick. One of the Puerto Ricans gives Joe CPR, which leads Peter to proclaim, "Aw, gay!"
- Pastel-Chalked Freeze Frame: The ending, parodying Rocky III.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Loretta gives one to Cleveland.
Loretta: I cheat on you and you apologize to me? Cleveland Brown, you are pathetic.
- Cleveland gives her one toward the end.
Cleveland: I may not be perfect, but I deserve better than you.
- Sassy Black Woman: Loretta.
- When Cleveland vows to kill Quagmire, he eats some spinach.
- "Good, let the hate flow through you."
- The ending with Quagmire and Cleveland boxing each other is like the ending to Rocky III. Quagmire even calls Cleveland "Apollo".
- And earlier, when Cleveland is doing chin-ups by the door, Mickey appears and says "He's a wrecking machine!".
- Status Quo Is God: Halfway averted. Cleveland and Quagmire's friendship is still intact (after a good boxing match to get out their anger) but Cleveland and Loretta break up afterwards.
- Teach Him Anger: Peter tries to teach Cleveland to show his emotions. It works a little too well.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Cleveland tells this to Loretta.
- Unstoppable Rage: Cleveland's rampage through Quagmire's house.