Recap / Dragon Ball Z Abridged M 12
In Team Four Star's
second Christmas Special
for Dragon Ball Z Abridged
, Santa Claus
comes to Earth, all of which has been placed on his naughty list, to dole out his lumps of coal. Meanwhile, Goku and friends learn the true True Meaning of Christmas
- Absentee Actor:
- Baby Trunks is name-dropped as being the source of the cure Bulma used to help destroy the gas machines, but is never seen onscreen, even at the beginning when Goku and Gohan visit Bulma at Capsule Corps.
- Cell is nowhere to be found. Justified, because this parody takes place in December, while the Cell games took place in May.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Goku states that this newest attack on Christmas is leaving him "Chris-miffed". Gohan admits that it's a solid pun, while Goku admits that he had been waiting for someone to try to ruin Christmas again just to have the chance to use it.
- Adapted Out: Due to Dr. Lychee and Hatchiyack becoming Santa Claus, there is no mention of the Tuffles in this version.
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Dr. Lychee, the Tuffle scientist hellbent on eradicating the Super Saiyans, has been replaced by none other than Father Christmas himself.
- Lychee's base of operations on the Dark Planet has likewise been renamed to Santa's Workshop located on the Star of Deathlehem.
- Adaptational Intelligence: In the original OVA, Hatchiyack was a super computer capable of making short sentences. Father Christmas, however, talks in full sentences.
- Adaptational Jerkass / Face–Heel Turn: Santa Claus, from his appearance in Christmas Tree of Might. Of course, that's assuming that the latter was actually the real Santa, and not a figment of Goku's imagination.
- Answers to the Name of God: Piccolo celebrates Christmas because, in a way, he's the son of God. Upon hearing this, Kami mutters "Oh, Jesus Christ!" to which Piccolo says "Kinda." Nail then chimes in if that means he counts as the Holy Spirit. Both Piccolo and Kami verbally agree.
- An Asskicking Christmas: Goku and the gang not only get into a huge fight on Christmas, but they get into a fight with Santa Claus himself.
- Art Shift: Santa informs Trunks that he's on the naughty list for destabilizing the space-time continuum due to his time traveling. As soon as Trunks begins to state that the continuum is fine, the scene shifts to footage from the original Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans.
- Back from the Dead: Freeza, Cooler, Lord Slug, and Turles all return as the Villains of Christmas Past. Santa also refers to them as his "Dark Ornaments".
- Bad Santa: The Big Bad of the film is a Santa who has decided that humankind is too naughty and thus decides to exterminate everyone on Earth.
- Badass Santa: …who is also able to keep up with the 5 major Z Fighters with his Christmas Eve-olution.
- Bilingual Bonus: After Gohan receives a copy of the French translation of Moby-Dick from Santa, he thanks Santa, saying, "Merci beaucoup, Père Noël!"
- By "No", I Mean "Yes": Inverted with Freeza and Gohan's exchange.
Freeza: That's right, monkeys! We have returned for our revenge!
Gohan: Is that, like, the royal "we" or...
Freeza: Yes! Also, no. (Summons Cooler, Lord Slug, and Turles to materialize next to him.)
- The Cameo:
- Krillin and Chichi appear at the very end of the movie as silhouettes.
- Goku contacts King Kai briefly to get a sense of whether or not something is attacking Earth.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: King Kai is very blunt about the threat attacking the Earth, but is uncharacteristically unconcerned about the effects of it and even says he didn't plan on telling Goku until the next day because he was busy celebrating Christmas.
: Anyway, that thing is overflowing with naughty energy, so whatever you do, be careful. (beat)
Or don't. Whatever. I'm, like, 5 eggnogs in.
- Christmas Episode: The second movie to be given a Christmas theme in the series. (Third, if you count Goku's misunderstanding in Lord Slug Abridged.)
- Composite Character: Dr. Lychee and his creation Hatchiyack are combined into Santa Claus, with Hachiyack acting as his Super Mode.
- Death by Adaptation: Tarble from Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!! is stated to have been killed prior to Frieza's annihilation of the Saiyans when Vegeta blasted his Saiyan pod while trying to hit Santa when they were kids. Though Vegeta did say they Never Found the Body.
Trunks: I have an uncle?
Vegeta: You had an uncle.
- Subverted, however, when it's revealed Vegeta did actually hit Santa.
- Dude, Not Funny!: When Freeza begins taunting the heroes, he makes sure to refer to the Saiyans as "monkeys", as per usual. Turles, who is fighting on Freeza's team and is himself a Saiyan, responds with an affronted, "Dude!"
- Humans Are Bastards: Santa has come to this conclusion, and has placed humanity itself on his naughty list, starting the events of the movie.
Santa: War. Greed. Pollution. Destruction. The world has been overcome by naughtiness. It cannot be saved. It can only be coaled. Christmas... is Ho Ho Ho-ver.
- Hurricane of Puns: Goku and Santa Claus unleash a torrent of Christmas themed puns throughout. Stated by KaiserNeko to be the most amount of puns they've put into an episode.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: To counteract the Naughtiness-powered coal dust that is slowly killing the planet and powering the Villains of Christmas Past, Bulma extracts some of Baby Trunks' blood and synthesizes enough pure Niceness from it to completely neutralize it.
Goku: Magic baby blood. Cool.
- In-Name-Only: Unlike The Christmas Tree of Might, which did both abridge the plot of the movie while combining it with a Christmas parody, this special has very little to do with the original story of Plan to Eradicate the (Super) Saiyans about the Tuffles revenge on the Saiyans, instead turning the main antagonists into Santa Claus.
- Inferred Holocaust: In-Universe, Piccolo realizes at the end of the film that all of the smoke that Santa unleashed on the Earth probably killed a lot of people. Goku says that they can wish them all back tomorrow.
- Insistent Terminology: Freeza insists on calling it "Freeza Day", even when he and the other villains had agreed to call it Christmas.
- Irony: Turles started his vendetta on Christmas to get back at Santa, now has wound up being Not-So-Jolly Old Saint Nick's minion.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: After listing off the present Z Fighters and how they got on the naughty list, Santa gets to Gohan… who did nothing wrong and is actually on the nice list.
- Made of Evil: Santa's plan to eradicate humanity involves machines spewing smoke that consists of coal and concentrated "naughtiness", which Bulma counteracts by synthesizing pure goodness from her baby Trunks's blood.
- Never Found the Body: Vegeta says this of his brother Tarble, who he accidentally shot down while trying to kill Santa.
- Non-Serial Movie: This is one of the relatively few Abridged movies that can't be fit into the timeline in anyway, for the simple reason that it takes place in December while Trunks had left the timeline by May.
- Out of Focus: Of the four returning villains, Lord Slug doesn't have that much focus compared with Turles or the Cold family Sibling Rivalry.
- Pet the Dog: All the Z Fighters are on Santa's naughty list, except Gohan, who actually gets a present (a copy of the French translation of Moby-Dick).
- Precision F-Strike:
- Vegeta, after Goku implies he's a minor character.
- Cooler, after growing tired of Freeza referring to Christmas as "Freeza Day".
- Saving Christmas: The plot of the movie. Strangely, and much to Goku's dismay, the Z Fighters are saving Christmas from Santa Claus.
- When Bulma asks if Goku and Gohan have been watching the news at all, Gohan says that Goku has just been playing the Rankin/Bass Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie on a loop throughout the day.
- Goku plans to take out the Grinch who made all of the machines pumping the noxious smoke into the Earth.
- At one point when Vegeta's attacking Santa, Goku shouts out "Vegeta, NO!" to which Vegeta replies "Vegeta, YES!", referencing a famous scene from Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series.
- Vegeta attempts to blast Santa's evolved form, and then tries a Bond One-Liner straight out of Die Hard.
Yippie ki-yay - [notices Santa is still alive and unharmed] - mother FUCKER!
- Transiberian Orchestra's version of "Carol of the Belles" plays as Goku, Piccolo, Trunks, Gohan, and Vegeta launch their final attacks at Santa.
- An instrumental version of "Weird Al" Yankovic's "The Night Santa Went Crazy" plays during the final scene as our heroes tell Chi-Chi and Krillin where they've been.
- Sibling Rivalry: Freeza and Cooler's entire screen-time. To wit:
- Sins of Our Fathers: Piccolo calls Santa out for this when the latter places him on the naughty list because of the actions of King Piccolo.
- Squee!: Goku is ecstatic when he realizes he's face-to-face with Santa Claus.
- Super Mode: Santa Claus undergoes a transformation into the form of Hatchiyack (his Christmas Eve-olution)
- True Meaning of Christmas: Goku is conflicted about fighting Santa, even considering Christmas ruined when Vegeta appears to have killed him, but turns the fight around by telling Santa, to his face, that Christmas isn't really about presents, or figgy pudding, or pretty lights, or annoyingly catchy holiday tunes, or even Santa Claus himself.
- Whole Plot Reference: the story bears some resemblance to the Futurama episode "Xmas Story" in which an overly judgmental robotic Santa tries to kill all humans at Christmas.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: After Bulma flies by, drops the antidote to destroy the machines powering the villains, and then immediately flies away, Freeza, Cooler, Lord Slug, and Turles just hang in the air, staring dumbfounded at Bulma's departing ship.
Freeza: Did... did nobody shoot her?
Lord Slug: Why didn't you?
Freeza: Because I have you fools!
- Would Hurt a Child: Gohan might have been on Santa's nice list, but that doesn't save him from old Kris Kringle's onslaught.
Santa: What child is this, who laid to rest on Santa's lap, is bleeding?!