Positive emotions and virtues like love
and gratitude usually are not physical concepts. You can't see them; you can't feel them.
But they are now! These objects are materialized out of good feelings. Whether they power you up, you need to collect a bunch of them for some purpose, or they make a weapon for you to use, they are physical manifestations of goodness. On occasion, you may find a living being made of it.
Compare Care Bear Stare
, which is instead an attack, not object, of positive emotion. A weapon made of this may overlap with Holy Hand Grenade
and/or Silver Has Mystic Powers
. If the object represents a certain virtue, it's an Embodiment of Virtue
. Contrast, obviously, Made of Evil
. See also God of Good
Anime & Manga
- In the Sailor Moon franchise, the eponymous heroine possesses many magical objects and weapons made from the light and goodness in the universe.
- The Shinzoku of The Slayers, a.k.a. Flare Dragon Ceiphied and the four Dragon Kings. While they don't actually appear in-series, the lore explicitly describes them as the polar opposite of the Mazoku race, who themselves are Made of Evil.
- In One Piece, a "Klabautermann" is a ghostly manifestation of a ship's spirit that is born out of its crew's love for it. Unfortunately, a Klabautermann being seen by its crew is a sign that their ship will soon meet its doom.
- The Amulet from The Monster Squad, which according to Scary German Guy, is made of "concentrated good." Dracula and his cronies want the Amulet so they can destroy it.
- Depending on which emotions you charged it with, the pink slime from Ghostbusters 2 could be this.
- In Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Scott, like in the comics above, discovers the Power of Love and produces a katana of materialized love. It gets broken by the Big Bad. However, when he discovers the Power of Self-Respect (not in the comics), he forges a new sword out of it that fares much better.
- In Harry Potter, the Patronus Charm summons a guardian that's essentially made of its caster's positive emotions.
- In the Young Adult fantasy novel Avielle Of Rhia, the title character, Avielle, has a magical gift for weaving- she starts by weaving shawls that can give those they where them courage, sorrow, hope, and so on. But as she faces utter darkness and despair, and everything is lost, the Goddess of Rhia communicates with her, and Avi is able to weave a shawl of pure light and love.
- Sylphrena in The Stormlight Archive is an honorspren, which is essentially the idea of honor given a semi-physical form.
- In one fairy tale, a girl is created from "loving tears". She winds up redeeming the bad guy by looking into his eyes.
- Parodied in Dr. Dude with the Elements of Coolness: a Magnetic Personality, the Heart of Rock 'n Roll, and the Gift of Gab.
- Beings with the Good subtype (mostly angels) in Dungeons & Dragons are literally made (at least in part) of Good (there are also the subtypes for Law and Chaos, which does not currently exist as tropes, and Evil, which does). Important point: while most beings with the Good subtype stay good, in the rare case that they fall to evil, they still count as good for a number of things... including detection magic.
- In Kirby's Dream Land 3, helping out each character in each stage gets you a heart star. These later materialize into the Love-Love Stick that you fight Dark Matter with.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, a Collection Sidequest involves collecting Gratitude Crystals, which materialize out of a person's gratitude when Link helps him/her out.
- Harmony from the game Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak is this.
- In Super Paper Mario, the Pure Hearts are said to be made of pure love.
- In Kingdom Hearts, hearts are normally a mix of good and bad, however the Seven Princesses of Heart have incorruptibly pure hearts, to the point that their presence is said to physically weakness The Heartless.
- According to Scribblenauts Unlimited, Starites are made from happiness.
- In ''Sonic and the Secret Rings, the Seven World Rings are composed of emotions. Three of them (Prayers, Joy, and Pleasure) more or less consist of this trope. Three more (Rage, Sadness, Hatred) are more or less the exact opposite, and the last (Wishes) is somewhere right in the middle.
- The Elements of Harmony in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Also, in the episode Hearth's Warming Eve, the friendship of the three second-in-commands to the leaders of the three races creates a heart-shaped beacon of fire that destroys/repels the Windigos. It still burns to the present day.
- In Samurai Jack, the eponymous hero's katana was made from the goodness of his father.
- The Disney Fairies are stated to be born of a child's first laugh.
- Which is, of course, a ripoff of (licensed Disney property) Peter Pan, where all the fairies were born when the first child laughed for the first time.
- In one episode of Darkwing Duck, Darkwing is split into his good and evil halves, which are later "galvanized" by the same ray so that one is Made of Evil and the other Made of Good.
- The Autobot Matrix of Leadership of Transformers, although its origins tend to vary from one continuity to another, it is often used by Autobot leaders to subdue entities of pure evil, such as Unicron.