Playing With: The Bad Guy Wins
Basic Trope: The villain succeeds while the good guys fail miserably.
Back to The Bad Guy Wins
- Straight: Emperor Evulz actually managed to defeat Bob and Alice, Take Over the World, and escape his punishment.
- To make matters worse, Emperor Evulz and his cronies overthrew the United Nations, tortured any and all minorities, and shaved the hair off of everyone's head.
- The villain wins so often that he's practically invincible.
- Not only does the villain defeat Bob and Alice physically, but he defeats them morally, ultimately turning them into brainwashed minions who love him and would gladly die for him.
- Emperor Evulz is killed in the end, but ultimately succeeds in his goals.
- The heroes find that they are not strong enough to destroy the villain, so the villain and hero wind up negotiating, and coming to a compromise in which both of their goals are partially achieved, but neither is achieved completely.
- Aware of what kind of story he's part of, the Emperor manipulates the odds to create an Evil Plan capable of succeding within the limits of the narrative rules the world is tied to.
- Alternatively, Evulz learned from the flaws of his previous plans, and steps up his game (at least for the episode).
- Or, Alice and Bob are Idiot Heroes— it's really no wonder that Evulz managed to outsmart them.
- Alice and Bob are in a Cosmic Horror Story, or Slasher Movie.
- Near Villain Victory
- Emperor Evulz only comes dangerously close to winning.
- Emperor Evulz is actually an Anti-Villain who is fighting for a noble cause, but his reprehensible Utopia Justifies the Means actions are what set Alice and Bob against him. While they defeat Emperor Evulz, they then take up his cause and achieve it themselves. While Emperor Evulz's own efforts may have failed, his original goal is ultimately achieved, so in a sense he still wins.
- Double Subverted: Emperor Evulz eventually gets reimbursed...
- Parodied: Both the duo of Bob and Alice, Gary Stu and Mary Sue wannabes (respectively), fight against Evulz, Villain Sue wannabe. Said duo lost. Thankfully, They took it well. Their comrades, on the other hand, did not.
- Zig Zagged: It seems like the villain was going to win, but he didn't, then it's revealed his real plan was something all along, and then he fails at that plan.
- Averted: The villain doesn't win in any way.
- Lampshaded: "And just so we're clear, there isn't gonna be a Part 2..."
- Invoked: "Here's the part of the plan I haven't told you: I Win."
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: "Remember the Golden Rule: The villain will never win if we keep believing."
- Discussed: "Bob, if we don't make it in time, Emperor Evulz will win!"
- Conversed: "Holy Bleep! Emperor Evulz won in the season finale, and now there's not going to be a Season Six. I guess Tales of Troperia is now officially a bad guy wins scenario."
- Reconstructed: "Well, I could always build a new World Wonder so that people remember me when I am gone..."
Back to The Bad Guy Wins