Manga: Sousei No Onmyouji
This is the story about two kids (Rokuro and Benio) and their lives as onmyouji warriors. Rokuro once had the dream to be the greatest Onmyouji, or Exorcist, and to cleanse all impurities. But a tragedy in his past has made him no longer wish to have anything to do with exorcist. Enter Benio a girl who, through a tragedy of her own, wishes to be the greatest Onmyouji. Needless to say the two don't really get along.
A battle-manga from the creator of Binbougami Ga
its full of hilarious hijinks and awesome battle scenes.
Examples of tropes.
- Badass Family: The goal of Arima-sama is to have the two strongest onmyouji, Rokuro and Benio, mate. Because their child would then become the strongest Onmyouji ever with the title of "The Miko."
- Benio's parents, and twin brother, were strong Onmyouji.
- Battle Couple: The Title translates to "Twin Star Exorcists" and is the title given to a married exorcist couple whose child will be The Miko, in this case Rokuro and Benio. While the two are more than a little bit against the couple idea, there's no denying that together they make an awesome team.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Rokuro and Benio are not pleased about their betrothal and constantly argue and insult each other. However, there are quite a few sweet moments between them as well.
- Blood Knight: Benio really enjoy's fighting, to the point that she regularly enters Magano to fight Impurities instead of waiting for the ones already on earth to pop up.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: When Benio confronts the Impurity that killed her parents she asks if he remembers killing them he answers by asking if she remembers every ant she ever squashed. Averted later when he does in-fact remember because their Heroic Sacrifice was so out of the ordinary.
- Childhood Friend: Mayura is Rokuro's and her father is the one who taught him Exorcism.
- Comically Missing the Point: An omake has Rokuro angrily denying that he wants to have a child with Benio and says that she'd probably be like a tuna in bed anyway.note Benio immediately thinks of the positive characteristics of tuna and assumes Rokuro is praising her as a Determinator and Lightning Bruiser, causing a Luminescent Blush.
- Dance Battler: Benio's attacks all have dance in the name.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Both Rokuro and Benio have had some serious trauma in their past, Benio witnessed the death of her parents, and later lost her twin brother. Rukuro was the sole survivor of the massacre of his entire dorm, later revealed that they had all been forcibly changed into Impurities and he was forced to kill them. It's also revealed that Benio's twin brother was among them.
- Dual Wielding: Benio fights with two charmed blades.
- Enfante Terrible: Yuuto, Benio's older twin brother and one of Rokuro's friend at the Hiinatsuki Dorm, the one who caused the tragedy of Hiinatsuki.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Benio was pretty popular at her old school.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl: Mayura actually has a large amount of spiritual powers, but isn't an onmyouji. Which is why she could be forcibly changed into an impurity.
- Fallen Hero: Onmyouji can become Impurities, later we learn that the transformation can be forced.
- Generation Xerox: Benio looks like her mother and acts like her father and has his love of Ohagi. Her fighting style is the same as theirs.
- Heroic Sacrifice: When given a choice between their lives or Benio's, Benio's parents dont hesitate to sacrifice themselves.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Averted, Benio and Rokuro are made to live together for the express reason that it will help them become a couple.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Rokuro and Benio are made to fight each other in chapter 2. Benio is more than willing, Rokuro is less than.
- Lone Survivor: Rokuro is the only survivor from an attack by impurities that killed eighteen of his fellow exorcist dorm mates.
- No Sense of Direction: Rokuro can't find a place on a map, when the map leads to his own house.
- Not So Different: A throwaway joke had Mayura mentioning to Benio that Rokuro continued to believe in Santa past the age most children did. An omake later has Benio tearfully asking him if it's true that Santa's a fantasy after all. On a more serious note, both of them have similar dispositions and have lost loved ones in the past.
- One-Hit Kill: Rokuro uses a special charm that turns his right arm monstrous capable of one-shoting anything it hits.
- Paper Talisman: The charms that Onmyouji use are these. Benio uses several and Rokuro uses only a single jet black charm.
- Power Fist: Roukuro can turn his right arm into this.
- Powered Armor: Benio uses several Charms that gives her a magic version of this which improves her speed, armor, sight, and strength. Speed seems to be the main increase.
- The Rival: Benio considers Rokuro to be one after witnessing the power of his arm, Rokuro himself doesn't wish to be rivals but gets into it after the two start fighting.
- Sadistic Choice: Benio, as an eight year-old child, is given ten seconds to decide which one of her parents will live and which one will die by a super strong impurity. When she failed to decide the Impurity then asked her parents if they or Benio should be allowed to live, with no hesitation they say Benio.
- The Sociopath: Yuuto, he causes the tragedy that haunts Rokuro for a reason that can be summed up as "For Shits and Giggles." Sees his sister, Benio, as a useless annoyance and finds the thought that their parents died protecting her hilarious.
- Superpowerful Genetics: Arguably the main plot of the manga. The reason Benio and Rokuro are forced to marry is to give birth to an extremely powerful exorcist.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Benio starts to ask Rokuro if he might be an exorcist after revealing knowledge of Magano but Rokuro denies being an exorcist before she even gets the first word out.
- Super Speed: Benio's fighting style envolves hitting the enemy hard and fast, very fast.
- Super Strength: Rokuro's charmed arm gives him incredible strength.
- Sweet Tooth: Benio
- Trademark Favorite Food: Benio really like Ohagi, a type of sweet made with rice and red bean paste.