Like Parrot Exposition
, but the expositor can't even finish the word. Even if it is easy to remember
. Also used when someone says a big word, like Palaeo-whatisit
. Sometimes used out of spite, and sometimes used out of disbelief. Often used in Advertising
. Sister Trope
, where the speaker finds the word so unpronounceable he thinks it must have been a sneeze. A common silly subtrope involves the expositer successfully repeating each part
of a word, but still somehow unable to say the whole thing together:
"He went to Lichtenstein."
- Benda-what? Benda-who?
- A certain E*Trade commercial that a certain actress claims is violating her rights.
- Used in a commercial for Maximum Testosterol, apparently by picking which syllable to 'miss' out of a hat. A character asks incredulously, when first told the name, "Maximum whatstosterol?"
- When Dan receives his Shikigami in Thawing Permafrost, he can't get the name right. Upon first hearing it, his reaction is "Shiki-whatnow?".
- From Calvin and Hobbes: The Series:
Mom: Calvin, we're going out to the grocery store real quick, and we need you to watch Tug.
Calvin: You need me to what?!
- From A Complete Turnabout:
Edgeworth: You… You got the limited edition Mayoi and Chinami cards from the 'Moonlight Showdown' series!
Phoenix: I got what of whom from what?
- From Sonic Generations: Friendship is Timeless:
Sonic: Who’s Discord? That snake-looking thing up there?
Twilight: That’s right, Sonic. Discord is a draconequus.
Sonic: A what?
- From Double Rainboom:
Twilight: In theory, this potion is supposed to be a talent enhancer.
Rainbow Dash: A talent what?
- From Turnabout Storm:
: My name is Apple Bloom, and I'm a Cutie Mark Crusader! The Judge
: A... cutie mark... what?
- In the live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas! movie: "Holiday Whobeewhatee?"
- In 9, when told by 1 to "subjugate [9 and 5]", 8 responds with "subje - what?"
- Madagascar also counting as Getting Crap Past the Radar:
King Julien: Welcome to Madagascar!
King Julien: No, not who-ha. As-car.
- Counts as a Brick Joke thanks to the first exchange between Marty and the penguins:
Skipper: We're fleeing this place for Antarctica!
- The Rescuers Down Under:
- Ace Ventura From the sequel:
Princess: That was the dart of the Wachutu shaman!
Ace: The what-nee what-en?
- In The Rocketeer, when Cliff reveals his secret identity to his girlfriend Jenny:
Jenny: (confused) The Rocket-who?
Radar technician: I'm having trouble with the radar, sir.
Dark Helmet: What's wrong with it?
Radar technician: I lost the bleeps, I lost the sweeps, and I lost the creeps.
Dark Helmet: The what?
Colonel Sandurz: The what?
Dark Helmet: And the what?
- This bit in The Court Jester
Fergus, the ostler: "Im Fergus, the ostler!"
Hawkins: Wh-Whogus the whatsler?"
- This bit in Mary Poppins:
Jane: Mary Poppins taught us the most wonderful word!
Mr. Banks: What on earth are you talking about, supercal— super— or whatever the infernal thing is?
Jane: It's something to say when you don't know what to say.
Mr. Banks: Yes, well, I always know what to say.
- Alpha and Omega:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Anya: Buffy's got some kind of job there helping junior deviants, Spike's insane in the basement, Xander's there doing construction on the new gym-—
Willow: Wait, Spike's what in the what-ment?
Anya: Insane, base.
- When Buffy's friends confront her about her having sex with Spike (the one they saw was actually a robot), she responds, "The who whatting how with huh?"
- Buffy does this a lot. From "Lie To Me":
Ford: [walks up behind Buffy, who has just slain a vamp] What's going on?
Buffy: Um, uh... there was a-a cat. A cat here. And um, uh, then there was a-another cat. And they fought. The cats. And... then they left.
Ford: Oh. I thought you were just slaying a vampire.
Buffy: What? What-ing a what?
- It's not for nothing that this show is the Trope Namer for Buffy Speak.
- Red Dwarf:
- Firefly, "Shindig":
"Any of these gentlemen can lend you use of a sword."
"Use of a swwhat?"
- From the MST3K Episode "Prince of Space."
Observer: Don't touch that, that's a wormhole!
Pearl: A worm-what?
Observer: A wormhole.
Pearl: A what-hole?
Observer: A wormhole. Wormhole!
- In El Chapulín Colorado, the eponymous hero would listen to some complex world, make the entire routine and then ad an astonished expression.
- In episode one of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Strong Bad's attempt to find one of the pages for the Snake Boxer 5 manual takes him through a chain of people that leads to Bubs.
Strong Bad: Please tell me you've got my Snake Boxer 5 manual...
Bubs: Snake what now?
Bubs: Oh, Snake Boxer 5! Here ya go.
- Conker's Bad Fur Day:
King Bee: I didn't even get to tell you about the big-breasted babe...
Conker: The— the big what?
- Dead or Alive Dimensions:
Ayane: How could karate stand against the Hajin-mon sect of Mugen Tenshin?
Hitomi: Hajin-in the what now?
- In Dragon Ball Abridged, anytime Goku calls out that he's using the Kaio-Ken technique, it's invariably followed by the receiving party uttering "Kaio-what?" before he wallops them.
- In the Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series version of Bonds Beyond Time, Yami has this response when Yusei synchro summons a monster. Of course, Yami's doing it on purpose because he's a Jerkass.
Yusei: I synchro-summon Junk Gardna, in defense mode.
Yami: Synchro what?
Yusei: Synchro summon.
Yami: What summon?
Yusei: Synchro summon.
Yami: What what?
Yusei: Synchro. Summon.
Yami: Oh. What's that?
Yusei: It's when you summon a monster by—
Yami: Oh wait, I seem to have stopped caring.
- Homestar Runner, "Hremail 7" is a faux-flashback episode which features Homestar trying to introduce Strong Bad to the concept of e-mails and the Internet:
Strong Bad: A what-mail on the Inter-what?
- The Simpsons:
Burns: Listen here...I want to join your team.
Homer: You want to join my what?
Smithers: You want to what his team?
- And from "Who Shot Mr Burns, Part 2"
Jasper: You shot who in the what now?
- From "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo", on the Japanese game show:
Wink: Now, our game shows are a little different from yours. Yours reward knowledge. We punish ignorance.
Homer: Ignor-what? (fire shoots out of Homer's microphone)
- Spoofed on Futurama, in the episode "I, Roommate":
Fry: Where's your bathroom?
Fry: Eh, never mind.
- The Fairly OddParents:
- Danny Phantom:
Jack: It's the Ecto-Exodus Alarm!
Danny, Sam and Jazz: The Ecto-whaty-what?
Stu: Presenting the Bonkomatic Baby Bumper!
Didi: The Bonka-whosit Baby-what?
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- In "Bridle Gossip", when Twilight Sparkle tries to assuage her friends' fear of Zecora
Twilight Sparkle: She's a zebra.
Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, & Spike: A what?
- In "Stare Master", Fluttershy tries to warn the Cutie Mark Crusaders that they're in danger:
Fluttershy: There's no time! There's a cockatrice on the loose!
Apple Bloom: A cocka-what-now?
- In "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000", Pinkie Pie's reaction to the Flim-Flam brothers introducing themselves as "traveling sales-ponies nonpareil" is "Nonpa-what?"
- In "Games Ponies Play", when it dawns on the Mane Six that they have mistaken a random tourist for the Equestria Games inspector, Twilight decides to ask:
Ms. Harshwhinny, the Equestria Games inspector, aren't you? (beat) Tourist
: Inspector what-now?
- In one episode of Sheep in the Big City, a plot twist (both Sheep and General Specific lose the mayoral election to a talking ham sandwich) leads to a long chain of characters going "Hubba-whah?"
- King of the Hill:
Student: We're learning about transubstantiation.
Peggy: Trans what now?
- An episode of Ben 10:
Mayor/Tour Guide: It's a Megawatt.
Mayor/Tour Gide: Exactly.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender:
Katara: The Painted Who-Now?
Dock/Xu/Bushi: The Painted Lady.