"I will never, ever turn my back on people who need me!"
When the Gaang comes upon a fishing village that has been having hard times due to the pollution from a local factory, Katara cannot resist helping the villagers in the guise of the local river spirit, the Painted Lady
- An Aesop: "You can't wait around for someone to help you. You have to help yourself."
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Katara. The page quote is basically the defining statement of her personality. (It's even her quote on her character sheet listing).
- God Guise: Katara
- Green Aesop
- "I Was Just Joking..."
...I also said to use spirit magic and made funny noises! (facepalm)
- Left the Background Music On: The ominous Painted Lady music comes from Sokka playing the flute.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Destroying the factory just gets the soldiers stationed there mad at the villagers.
- Real After All: The Painted Lady. Whether she would have done the same thing Katara did, had the pollution not kept her from acting, is unknown, but she is at least quite grateful.
- Scarecrow Solution
- Shout-Out: Katara, disguised as the Painted Lady, begins approaching Fire Nation soldiers a child says "She's com-ing!" in the exact same tone as the line "They're he-re!"
- Sleeping Dummy: Katara stuffs her sleeping bag with grass to sneak away from the group.
- Spit Take: Aang has this reaction when Sokka announces they might have to take potty breaks and food breaks at the same time.
- Split Personality: Dock/Xu/Bushi
- Ungrateful Bastard/ What The Hell, Townspeople?: Subverted, for once. The villagers are plenty mad that the local girl is a waterbender and has been masquerading as their patron goddess, until Sokka calls them out on it and points out that now the village is safe and can grow prosperous again.