TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Foreign Fan Service
So, this next character is an Eaglelander
, and her design should reflect that
. Okay, blonde hair
...blue eyes...175 cm (5 ft 9 in) tall
... huge cans
Hmm. Is there some Fanservice
This is when the answer to that question is "yes." In short, this is the stereotypical height and bust of Western (though not necessarily American) women used for Fanservice
The male equivalent shows up in shoujo
, where if there's an American guy around, he will be hot, blond, and have a great bod to go with his freakish height and lack of social norms (like kissing people goodbye and being shirtless in public
Related to Phenotype Stereotype
. See also Chinese Girl
, Everyone Looks Sexier If French
, and Europeans Are Kinky
. Compare and contrast Mukokuseki
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The definitive example has got to be Hevn from Getbackers. When the artist felt that Hevn alone wasn't busty enough to combat the dark nature of the Divine Design storyline, he created Maria Noches, who is even more well-endowed.
- Mireille Bouquet from Noir, though she isn't all that stacked◊.
- Weda in Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu is a Ambiguously Brown Absurdly Youthful Mother who wears a Fur Bikini. In the school episode, the class Haré goes to (in "The City", where she was born) hangs a American flag (although it's also possible, that it's the room of the English class) and everyone has names common in Anglophone countries. The Jungle village she lives in also seems to be outside of Japan, since they called some Japanese dude Guu swallowed into one of her "stomachs" foreign.
- Jennifer Portman from This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.
- To a small degree, Wedy from Death Note.
- Kaere Kimura from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. This was subverted in the Onsen Episode: she may be Ms. Fanservice reliably, but she wears a full bodysuit in the Onsen Episode because whatever-she-is really aren't that keen on public nudity.
- A scene in Azumanga Daioh had Osaka label Sakaki an American based on her figure, in reference to this trope. Going even further, Osaka labels the various characters' bust sizes by location. Well-endowed Sakaki is "American", several small-chested secondary characters are "Japanese", while somewhat-busty Yomi is tagged as "Hawaiian" (halfway between "Japanese" and "American"). When less-endowed-but-quite-vain Genki Girl Tomo demands to know what "American" location she is, Cloudcuckoolander Osaka replies with "American Yokohama".
- Midori no Hibi has Lucy Winradd, who Seiji bumps into and immediately recognizes as an American because of her blonde hair and Stars and Stripes patterned panties. She also happens to be an expy of Tiffany Lords, who's also an example of the trope.
- Variable Geo: Erina Goldsmith is the lone American entrant competing in the VG tournament. As such, she's blonde and busty, like you'd expect, and she and her team parade around in Playboy Bunny costumes. She also keeps a lighter tucked conspicuously in her ample cleavage, which she uses as a makeshift flamethrower when she fights.
- The Pursuit of Harimao's Treasure: Diana is and drawn with striking pale blue eyes, a tall, nubile figure, and has a pronounced British accent. So naturally, Lupin can't help himself when he sees her and spends almost as much of the film trying to win her affections as he does searching for the fabled treasure.
- Suzy and Angela in Genshiken are Americans, but only Angela fits this trope.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion:
- Asuka is a German version — predictably for that show, things go very bad very fast. The artbooks, on the other hand, had a field day with this.
- Mari from Rebuild 2.0. And she's not above shaming Asuka in the chest department either.
- Monica from Yakitate!! Japan, who wears an American flag bikini. It should be noted that she invoked this deliberately, so as to distract her opponent in the baking duel. Her opponent responded to this by stripping down to his loincloth.
- Jodie Starling and Sharon Vineyard from Detective Conan.
- Everyone in Grenadier assumes that Rushuna is foreigner based on her three most noticeable assets: her golden hair, her gun, and her massive pair of boobs. The hair actually winds up getting her into trouble on one occasion.
- Tina Foster of Ai Yori Aoshi exemplifies this, although Taeko is bigger. Helped by being an interesting character.
- Cathy McMahon in RahXephon: Tall, blonde, busty, freckled face, wears a cowboy hat with her uniform, boisterous personality. Wears a very skimpy bikini in the Beach Episode.
- Played with in Love Hina. Unlucky Everydude Keitaro returns from an academic trip abroad; Naru (after spending much of his trip worried about all the trope-fitting girls that he was bound to encounter) finds a blond hair on his clothes and takes him to task for philandering. Turns out, it was a hair from a mysteriously blonde gorilla.
- Based on this trope, it's not a surprise that Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's resident American, Alisa, officially got the second largest bust size amongst Nanoha, Fate, Hayate, Suzuka, and her after the Time Skip.
- Charlotte Yeager from Strike Witches, from Liberion.
- Chamoni, the French exchange student in the manga.
- Metara probably also applies, given how many allusions to her being a foreigner are made and her whole 'Western' look as a gunslinger.
- Wallace/Willis from the Digimon Adventure 02 movie, being American, naturally is blond with blue eyes (though they change to green during the course of the movie). Lampshaded in the dubbed version where Daisuke/Davis comments, "Yeah, yeah, back off there, blondie", after Wallace/Willis complements Miyako/Yolei.
- In the Di Gi Charat specials, the cast travels to the US and meets up with a full-blown 10-year-old Dejiko-fanboy, complete with blonde hair, Japanese with a weird accent ("De'jeeko'-chan!") and stars & stripes-colored Dejiko-cosplay.
- Keroro Gunsou gives us the American "celebrity" (and one-time personal trainer) Melody Honey, a character from the author's previous work, Arcade Gamer Fubuki.
- Lizlet L. Chelsie from Omamori Himari.
- Rachel "Castor" Stanley from Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. On top of being scantily clad and mightily endowed, she's also proven to be a gigantic Attention Whore who would do practically anything (especially strip) for a glance in her direction.
- Darker Than Black:
- November 11. Tall, blond, blue-eyed, and British, and was seen lounging around naked in one episode, and again in a manga omake.
- Brita, having the same Phenotype Stereotype and probably being American, and like November 11, lacks a concern for nudity, although in both cases, it's not culture that causes this behavior, it's sociopathy.
- The presumably American (she works for the CIA) Madame Oreille in the second season. She seems to spend an inordinate amount of time in swimsuits that show off her cleavage or getting a massage while covered in oil. Again, blond and blue-eyed.
- Lucy Mk II from the ecchi manga Yuria 100 Shiki. She's a blonde blue-eyed American sexbot, modeled after generations of playmates, who behaves like a nymphomaniac.
- Montana of Super Dreadnought Girl 4946 fits this. Her breasts are particularly huge, and she's rather hyperactive. Even Mana, a 50 meter tall girl with just as large body parts, is jealous of her body.
- Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service has the character Reina Gorn show up in one chapter. She's an American entomologist who is blond and busty and wears a cowboy hat.
- Axis Powers Hetalia parodies this with their Anthropomorphic Personification of America. His Phenotype Stereotype looks would have you think that this was how his character was meant to be, but he's actually a much better candidate for Adorkable than this trope.
- He is this in-universe; he's a Chick Magnet, especially in Europe.
- Japan Inc has a stripper in a cowgirl costume.
- Jackie Tristan from Bleach is an Aloof Dark-Haired Girl, Ambiguously Brown and with Absolute Cleavage, probably either American or British going by her name.
- Shared between Emma and Hugh from Kimi Wa Petto: Emma has the bust, but is red-haired instead of blonde and is the same height as her Japanese co-workers; meanwhile, Hugh is blond, extremely tall, and a Chick Magnet.
- Discussed in High School D×D. Rias' tall height, large chest, and brilliant scarlet hair lead people to assume she's Scandinavian. Her homeland is actually in her last name, Gremory. She's from Hell.
- Played completely straight, on the other hand, with Asia and Xenovia. They're both Italian.
- Los Guapos Internacional of CMLL, Toryumon Mexico and others are a shameless example, especially the rock hard ab displaying Marco Corleone, though smoothed skinned Alex Koslov aint too bad either.
- Tiffany Lords from Rival Schools is the epitome of this trope — a bouncy, large-breasted blonde American cheerleader/boxer with Jiggle Physics in full effect.
- English females represent this well, especially in fighting games, and are designed either around the classic Bond Girl archetype or Evil Is Sexy villainess. Examples include Cammy from Street Fighter, Ivy from the Soul Series, and Christie from Dead or Alive.
- It's worth noting that despite her role as Ms. Fanservice, Mai Shiranui is actually far from having the largest bust measurement in The King of Fighters (at least if you go by official 3-sizes); Shermie (French, 92 cm), Elizabeth (French, 90 cm), King (French and blonde, 86 cm), Angel (Mexican, 92 cm), and Blue Mary (American and blonde, 86 then 88 cm) all are (or were at one point) among those bigger than Mai (85 cm at first, 87 by KOF 2003). In KOF Maximum Impact 1, Lien Neville (British, blonde) is actually given a larger in-game chest than Mai's, but no official measurements are provided.
- Tina Armstrong from the Dead or Alive game series. To a lesser extent, Hitomi qualifies as well. Any girl that has a belt for a bra...
- Sarah Bryant from the Virtua Fighter games and anime.
- Rose (Italian) from the Street Fighter Alpha games probably fits as well. Rainbow Mika (Japanese) seems like a subversion, but she's actually just chubbier than Rose.
- And now we have Crimson Viper (American).
- Carrie from Bamboo Blade.
- Anna Lindhurst from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, the American, is the tallest of all six cheergirls, has blonde hair, and the largest breasts.
- Rumble Roses. Just check out the non-Asian characters in the game. Dixie (American) and Ms. Spencer (Canadian) especially scream the trope.
- Erina "Eririn" Goldsmith from Advanced Variable Geo, a blonde, buxom American expatriate who works in a bunny costume.
- Invoked and played dead straight by Vert in the Neptunia franchise. Being the CPU of the foreign nation Leanbox, she is of course tall, blue-eyed, blonde-haired, and openly proud of having the biggest rack of the cast.
- Lilly from Katawa Shoujo is half-Scottish and is the tallest of all the girls, along with having curly blonde hair.
- The ninjas from No Need for Bushido, for some reason.
- Leona from Ronin Galaxy is a good example of this trope. Interestingly enough, she fills the role from a Japanese viewpoint, though the comic is western.
- The appeal of many movie stars outside the USA is mostly based on their exotic eroticism. Even if they were born in the USA and speak fluently English they may still be cast as a primitive/savage foreigner from outside the modern Western world. Examples:
- Africa: Josephine Baker (despite being born in the USA she was often cast as a stereotypical wild black African from the jungle)
- Arabia: Rudolph Valentino, despite being Italian born, was cast twice as a romantic Arabian sheik.
- China: Bruce Lee (despite being born in the USA), Lucy Liu
- Egypt: Theda Bara, despite being born in the USA, was cast as a mysterious woman who presumably was born in Egypt.
- France: Brigitte Bardot
- Germany: Marlene Dietrich
- Greece: Melina Mercouri
- Italy: Sophia Loren, Anna Magnani, Rudolph Valentino
- Japan: Sessue Hayakawa
- The Netherlands: Sylvia Kristel, Famke Jansen
- Spain/Mexico/Cuba: Antonio Banderas, Benicio Del Toro, Penelope Cruz, Salma Hayek
- Sweden: Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Anita Ekberg
- United Kingdom: Hugh Grant, Cary Grant, Ewan McGregor, Sean Connery