A variant of Xtreme Kool Letterz
, seen used in both work titles and in names.
The letter X is already fascinating and cool
, so double the X, double the awesomeness! Right? Much like Xtreme Kool Letterz
, it's often meant to evoke badassery
, or lend the show an air of youthful hipness and coolness
How exactly are you supposed to pronounce this is usually unclear
- After War Gundam X has, of course, the Mid-Season Upgrade MS, the "Gundam Double X". However, this is justified in that it was designed to possess double the firepower of the Gundam X, as well as two Sattelite Cannons, essentially making it twice the Gundam the X was. It's also played with in that despite its pronunciation, "XX" appears nowhere in its name or designation.
- However, the designations of the Gundams in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing play this straight, with all of their alphanumerics beginning with "XXXG".
- The spaceship Lexx, from a series of the same name.
- German game show GoXX.
- The German show Reläxx.
- The main character (and host) of Double The Fist, Steve Foxx.
- In one episode of How I Met Your Mother, a fake magazine (featuring women bodybuilders) called Muscle Sexxy is mentioned.
- They Might Be Giants' "S~E~X~X~Y", which is always pronounced as the 5 letters. Not explained, except "because it's extra, baby".
- The xx named themselves after this.
- The xx is an indie band. The name fits.
- The company Blaxxun (originally spelled "Black Sun").
- Exxon Mobil Corporation.
- Minolta Maxxum cameras (now Sony Alpha).
- Redd Foxx (real name: John Elroy Sanford)
- As a tribute to Redd Foxx, actor/comedian/singer Jamie Foxx (real name Eric Marlon Bishop)
- XXX-rated movies. This is really just a marketing gimmick, implying "X" is dirty. (Even if a lot of legitimate films were rated X.) And that "XXX" is three times dirtier.