Wrestling: Maxx Payne
Daryl Peterson (b. 1961 in Salt Lake City, Utah) is a retired American Professional Wrestler and actor best known for his time in WCW in 1993-1994 as Maxx Payne. He started his career in 1987 after training with Red Bastien and went off to New Japan Pro Wrestling. He also competed in Jerry Lawler's CWA (Continental Wrestling Association) in Memphis and for the CWA (Catch Wrestling Association) in Austria/Germany. He made his PPV debut as a Heel in a losing effort against Dustin Rhodes at WCW SuperBrawl III. He also competed briefly for WWE in 1995 as Man Mountain Rock. He is a former 2x CWA (Memphis) Heavyweight Champion, a 2x CWA (Memphis) Tag Team Champion with Gary Young and a former CWA (Europe) Intercontinental Heavyweight Champion as Buffalo Patterson. He has also acted in movies and TV shows such as Touched by an Angel and The Substitute 3: Winner Take All.As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki.Has nothing to do with Max Payne.
"Man Mountain Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: Johnny B. Badd, The Nasty Boys
- Awesome McCool Name
- Ax-Crazy: At first in WCW.
- Bash Brothers: With Gary Young, Cactus Jack
- Big Applesauce: Billed for a time from Hell's Kitchen.
- The Blacksmith: Well, duh. It was only his ring name at one point.
- Dem Bones: On his "Fashion Victim" shirt that he wore for the Cactus/Maxx-Nasty Boys Chicago Street Fight at WCW Spring Stampede 94.
- Finishing Move:
- As Maxx Payne: The Payne Killer (Fujiwara armbar)
- As Man Mountain Rock: The Whammy Bar (Wakigatame armbar), the Wallapalooza (face-first suplex)
- Heel-Face Turn: In late 1993 and he never looked back.
- I Have Many Names: Maxx Payne, Man Mountain Rock, Buffalo Petersen, the Blacksmith.
- I Know Collegiate Wrestling: He was an All-American at Iowa State University. One of the very rare examples of acknowledging the person behind the gimmick, Vince McMahon often hyped "Man Mountain Rock's collegiate wrestling career as Daryl Peterson."
- Improbable Weapon User: "Scarred" Johnny B. Badd's face with his own "Badd Blaster" (confetti gun).
- Hit Jerry Sags over the head with an acoustic guitar at WCW Slamboree 94.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Averted. He originally considered calling himself "Lucifer Payne" but he thought it was too ominous.
- Parts Unknown: (as Maxx in WCW): "The State of Euphoria."
- Shout-Out: The name "Maxx" was taken from Max Headroom, with the extra "X" added because of a friend's suggestion.
- Unperson: Peterson has apparently been blackballed from WWE due to his (unreleased) behind-the-scenes tell-all documentary, alternately titled The Real Maxx Payne or The Thing That Should Not Be.
- Wrestling Doesn't Pay: His gimmick is of a wrestling Heavy Metal guitarist. Unlike Van Hammer, he could play and could wrestle.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz