open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Soul Eater this is how the fight between Sid and Mifune goes (while essentially snowboarding without the boards no less).
- In the Davy Back Fight arc of One Piece, Zoro and Sanji do this as they attempt to reach Tonjit so they can tag him.
- In Naruto, Pain and the Kyuubi engage in this. Both are near-godlike beings, and the anime uses deliberate Off Model animation to emphasise the speed and power of the chase.
- In Ranma ½, occasionally the fights turn into this, but a couple of them were explicitly this, because they were a race to the finish line while trying to take out the competition at the same time.
- Lupin III: Episode 0: First Contact: The duel between Lupin and Goemon. Lupin runs away as an increasingly frustrated Goemon tries to fight him. It begins with Goemon on foot, chasing Lupin in a car, then they're running on top of cars, as well as around Central Park. Lupin mostly just wants to escape.
- This is the premise of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, which is all about card games on motorcycles.
- Batman: Under the Red Hood has several. The Red Hood always runs from Batman until their final encounter, usually fighting the whole way.
Films — Animated
Films — Live-Action
- The fight between Jack, Will and Norrington from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which takes place concurrently to Elizabeth, Pintel and Ragetti chase-fighting the Flying Dutchman's landing party.
- Morpheus and Trinity's highway battle against The Twins in The Matrix Reloaded while trying to reach an exit so they can escape the Matrix.
- Star Wars:
- The Phantom Menace: Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul.
- Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan vs. Anakin, and also Obi-Wan vs. Grievous.
- The beginning of Episode IV: A New Hope. Princess Leia's starship is fighting with Darth Vader's Star Destroyer as she tries to escape so she can give technical data on the Death Star to the Rebel Alliance.
- G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. The scene where the Baroness and Storm Shadow are driving to the Eiffel Tower in order to attack it and fighting with the Joes as they do so.
- Raiders of the Lost Ark. The running battle between Indiana and the Nazi convoy that's trying to get the Ark to Cairo. Indiana chases after it on a horse, eventually boards the truck and fights everyone involved.
- The Blues Brothers. The title characters are trying to get to the Cook County Assessor's office to pay the tax on the orphanage. They're pursued by police officers, National Guard troops, Nazis and a country-western band, with much destruction along the way.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the two main female characters have one of these across the rooftops.
- Total Recall (1990) (1990). Benny drives Quaid and Melina to the Last Resort as Richter and his partner follow in their car, with both parties shooting at each other.
- Heat (1995) has the running firefight that takes place after a botched robbery.
- Midway through Ong Bak, Tony Jaa partakes in one of these. Naturally, he is trying to avoid confrontation, but as soon as he gets cornered, he lays a serious beat down on any of those dumb enough to attack him.
- Very common in Mad Max films. The vehicular chase fights through apocalyptic wastelands are probably the most iconic part of the franchise. The fourth film is about 65% Chase Fight.
- Bad Boys 2 has a car chase about half an hour in, with hordes of Mooks chasing after Marcus' undercover sister. With Mike and Marcus, as well as the rest of Miami's Finest chasing them, the resulting back-and-forth gunfire expends more ammo than most wars. The chase even comes to a halt partway through, replaced with a massive shootout before the chase resumes.
- Horatio Hornblower: The first-published book, The Happy Returnnote , featured a climactic chase between Captain Hornblower's frigate HMS Lydia against the much more powerful warship Natividad. Also, the Natividad's stern guns have a longer range than the Lydia's forward guns, which means that the Lydia has to soak several hits before she can get close enough to return fire. To pass the time, and to keep his men from realizing how nervous he is about the situation, he invites his officers to a game of cards, and orders the sailors to have a dancing competion, even as cannon shot from the Natividad lands all around them.
- Honor Harrington, of course, being Horatio Hornblower IN SPACE, features more than a few of these. The first book has a lone undergunned light cruiser doggedly chasing down a much more powerful merchant cruiser, later books have entire fleets engaging in chases when one fleet or the other is forced to disengage and retreat, with their enemies not wanting them to escape with their forces intact. One book has an outmatched force trick a much larger force into chasing them deeper into the system so that their reinforcements can trap the attacking fleet inside the system hyperlimit.
Live Action TV
- The 100 has an episode where Clarke and Lexa are being chased by a ferocious gorilla, but with Clarke occasionally forcing it back for a bit with gunfire.
- Destroy The Godmodder: When the godmodder left for the house of Villains in the tvtropes session, the players followed him, beginning a massive fight with Metal Sonic, and two of the five terror nether mobs.
- This tends to be a recurring element in Sonic the Hedgehog games:
- In Sonic Adventure 2, the final battle between Sonic and Shadow is a chase along an abandoned space station. The preceding levels are even called Final Chase and Final Rush.
- Sonic Advance 2 was almost exclusively this style of Boss Battle.
- In games with Super Sonic only final bosses, this tends to be the format they fall under.
- The cutscene after final fight between Travis and Henry in No More Heroes features this, as a visual metaphor for them trying to "find that exit they call paradise"
- In Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning, both fights against Cynder.
- You'll probably have these in the Assassin's Creed series.
- Mirror's Edge. AND HOW!
- Then again, the REAL chase fight scene is with Celeste and you guys end up fighting on top a ship crate with Le Parkour action.
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. During an Escort Mission of a coach from Kakariko Village to Hyrule Castle Town, Link has to fight off several Bokoblins. It's notably one of the most reviled moments in a Zelda game for, well, a few reasons.
- The climax of the second half of Bunnykill 5 involves Dust, in full-on Roaring Rampage of Revenge mode after the Psycho Serum incident that led to him killing Snowball, having an awesome one of these against Smoke, one of the two bad guys responsible for the incident, involving Dust leaping from vehicle to vehicle, mowing down or shanking mooks in his way, and battling Smoke in his damaged helicopter gunship with machine guns and rockets, and ultimately having a one-on-one duel atop a moving semi that gets destroyed during the battle.
- Red vs. Blue shows Maine, Carolina, and York trying to get a briefcase from Insurrectionist soldiers, while racing down a highway.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender. The climactic battle between Aang and Fire Lord Ozai is this on both sides, with each chasing the other at various times.
- Family Guy. This is half the fun of watching the fights between Peter and the giant chicken.
- Popeye. In "A Dream Walking," Popeye and Bluto chase after a sleepwalking Olive while fighting over who gets to save her.
- The final season of Star Wars: Clone Wars features a long scene with three Jedi and Chancellor Palpatine fleeing from General Grievous and occasionally stopping to fight him.
- In Thundercats 2011 Thundera's Gladiator Games in their thunderdome take this format: a race between two Catfolk competitors climbing, swinging, jumping and running up a giant tree to to ring a bell at its top, where violent kicking and punching in order to knock a competitor out of the tree are entirely acceptable methods of getting ahead. Young Prince Lion-O challenges Tygra to a match only to suffer a particularly humiliating Ring Out, landing in a pool of water below.
- Batman: The Animated Series. In "His Silicon Soul," the android Batman chases the real Batman around the Bat Cave as they fight.