Anthropomorphic Animal Adaptation
A lot of books that were written by famous authors have an entirely human cast. However, when the story is adapted (mostly as an Animated Adaptation
), some creators decide the best way to really jazz up the story is to replace the humans with Funny Animals
and Petting Zoo People
. This is known as an Anthropomorphic Animal Adaptation.
Compare Adaptation Species Change
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Sherlock Hound is Sherlock Holmes with an entirely canine cast.
- Animal Treasure Island is a partial example. There are a few human children (notably Jim, the main character), but all the pirates are portrayed as animals.
Film - Animated
- Disney's Robin Hood would be the Trope Codifier. For example, Robin Hood and Maid Marian are foxes, Little John is a bear, Prince John is a lion, the Sheriff of Nottingham is a wolf, etc.
- In Oliver & Company, being that it's an adaptation of Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist, Oliver is a kitten and Fagin's gang are dogs. However, in a rare case, the animals are non-anthropomorphic, and some characters (notably Fagin and Bill Sykes) remain humans.
- There was a very loose animated adaptation of David Copperfield in which the Copperfield family and Murstone were cats, Uriah Heep was a rat, Peggoty was a hedgehog, Steerforth was a dog and Mr Micawber was a monkey.
- The 2000 animated Tom Sawyer, in which Tom and Becky are cats, Huck is a fox, etc.
- Treasure Planet is Treasure Island Recycled In Space. Some of the key characters (like the main character Jim and his mother) are still human, but the rest of the cast are different kind of aliens, many of whom look considerably animal-like. For example, Long John Silver looks like a large anthropomorphic bear/dog, Billy Bones is reptilian, Captain Amelia (a Gender Flipped version of Captain Smollett) is a cat-lady, Dr. Delbert Doppler (a Composite Character based on Dr. Livesey and Squire Trelawney) has distinctly canine features, and Scroop, the pirate who attacks Jim (based on various pirate characters), looks like something between a Giant Spider and a lobster.
Live Action TV
- The Muppets films, since the characters are a Universal-Adaptor Cast:
- In The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, the witches are pigs, Scarecrow is a frog, the Tin Man is a ... whatever ..., the Munchkins are rats and the Soldier with Green Whiskers is an eagle.
- In A Muppet Christmas Carol Bob Cratchett and the Cratchett sons are frogs, Mrs Cratchett and the daughters are pigs, Fezziwig is a bear, and Scrooge's schoolmaster is an eagle.
- In Muppet Treasure Island Captain Smollett is a frog, Squire Trelawney is a bear, Mister Arrow is an eagle, Ben Gunn is a Gender Flipped pig and Morgan is a goat.
- The Adventures of Superpup, a pilot filmed on the old The Adventures of Superman sets. Superman et al. as dogs!
- Tales of the Rodent Sherlock Holmes was a CBBC Sherlock Holmes pastiche starring Roland Rat as Holmes and Kevin the Gerbil as Watson.
- M-U-S-H, a parody of M*A*S*H with animal characters during wartime. "MUSH" stands for Mangy, Unwanted, Shabby Heroes.
- In the original Bosko, The Talk-Ink Kid shorts Bosko and Honey were stereotypical African-American characters. In the Tiny Toon Adventures episode "Fields of Honey" they get changed into amorphous animal characters a la the Warner Brothers and their sister Dot.
- Mickey's Christmas Carol took many characters from previous Disney animated features and shorts and placed them as the characters in Charles Dickens' original story. For example, Scrooge McDuck is Ebenezer Scrooge, Mickey Mouse is Bob Cratchett, Donald Duck is Fred, Goofy is Jacob Marley, etc.
- In a similar way, Disney did an animated OAV based on The Three Musketeers starring the studio's characters, including Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy as the leads.
- Around the World with Willy Fog: A Spanish cartoon (La vuelta al mundo de Willy Fog) is an adaptation of Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days. Mr Fog is a lion, Rigadon (Passepartout in the novel) and Romy (Aouda) are cats, and Inspector Fix is a dog. There are also many original characters. Protagonists and sympathetic characters tend to be cats and Panthera Awesome, while antagonists are likely to be dogs, foxes or wolves.
The sequel, Willy Fog 2, adapts Journey to the Centre of the Earth and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, with Professor Lidenbrock as a mole, Professor Aronnax as an owl, and Captain Nemo as a cat.
- Saban's Adventures of Oliver Twist is a mid-1990s animated television series. The main cast is anthropomorphic animals, although humans also appear in the series.
- The Legends Of Treasure Island, while admittedly an In Name Only adaptation in most other areas as well, converts the novel's cast into Petting Zoo People.
- Animaniacs had one episode called Les Miseranimals which was an adaptation of the musical of Les MisÚrables starring Rita (cat) and Runt (dog).
- The Devil And Daniel Mouse, an animated television movie adaptation of The Devil and Daniel Webster
- Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds; an adaptation of the Alexandre Dumas Novel 'The Three Musketeers', produced by Spanish and Japanese studios BRB Internacional & Nippon Animation, who also created the Willy Fog series. The general story is pretty close to the original text, with the minor difference that most of the characters are dogs. Remembered for the crazy barking theme tune.