"Rainbow Dash is a huge fan of the Daring Do book series, but after the newest book comes out, she's not alone! Suddenly, every pony in Ponyville is reading the books! To prove she's the ultimate fan, Rainbow Dash decides to show her friends that she can be just as brave and "daring" as her hero. But Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow's other friends worry about how far she's willing to go. Just how daring should one pony be?"The third note officially licensed My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic chapter book of a series of books by G. M. Berrow, and part of the overall My Little Pony Generation 4 universe. Just like the previous two books, this also takes place some time after season threenote . This book focuses on Rainbow Dash's do-anything nature as well as the conflict between her go-it-alone nature and her friends' offers of support.
This book provides examples of:
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: After Rainbow Dash completes her dares, she becomes recognized as Daring Dash and her ego floats up again.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: The South Amareican chili pepper. A couple of them would be a valid pest control method for farmers, and one bite caused Rainbow Dash to hallucinate and spew rainbow-colored fire.
- Continuity Nod:
- The last time Rainbow Dash was particularly egotistical about her deeds was mentioned. The lesson appears to have worn off. Rainbow Danger Dash is brought up again as well.
- Also mentioned is the time when she saved Rarity in the Canterlot Best Young Flyers Competition. Apparently her feat has been upgraded to a Double Rainboom, a possible nod to a fan episode and Rainbow Dash's issue in the comic.
- When Rainbow Dash mentions that she wouldn't be surprised if Daring Do was a real pony, the rest of the Mane Six shoot her a stern look.
- Cosplay: Rainbow Dash wears a Daring Do costume during her quest.
- Does Not Like Spam: Rainbow Dash does not like chili peppers.
- Genre Shift: Slice of Life to adventure with the introduction of a villain near the end.
- It May Help You on Your Quest: The toolkit Rainbow Dash gets from the rest of the Mane Six for her quest to obtain the Half-Gilded Horseshoe.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: The book introduces colossa-gators, gigantic alligators about the size of an ursa minor with iridiscent, green scales and red, glowing eyes.
- Serious Business: Rainbow Dash regards a double dare from Wild Fire as particularly serious.