Literature: Forever Gate
ABOUT THE FOREVER GATE:3740 A.D. The ice age has immobilized the world. Colossal walls seal off the cities from the uninhabitable Outside. Humanlike entities called "gols" run society, and force the humans to wear collars that block the innate powers mankind has evolved.One man rises up...Forever Gate was written by Isaac Hooke and is the first part in a five part novel. They are named 'Forever Gate 1' 'Forever Gate 2' and so on. The complete series was released in April 2013.
THE TROPES OF THE FOREVER GATE
- Batman Gambit:
- The plot opens with one; Hoodwink's plan to save his daughter begins with convincing the judge and the crowd that he is the 'evil user' that committed the crime instead of her.
- Later on Seven insists that Hoodwink is the victim of one: The Users tell him to cross the Forever Gate by climbing the wall. Seven tells Hoodwink that they were expecting him to fall or freeze to death because that is only way to cross the true Forever Gate.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Invoked. When Hoodwink sees the Grim Reaper approaching, his first thought is "lighning blast!"
- Evil Plan: Someone is doing something to the gols that is causing them to dengenerate. Since the gols run everything, this puts the integrity of the entire human civilization at risk. It's the reason Hoodwink's daughter gets involved with the Users and thus the reason Hoodwink started this plot.
- Hero's Muse: Ari, his daughter, is the inspiration for all of Hoodwink's actions.
- In Medias Res: The book begins with Hoodwink awaiting execution. The reader finds out why he's there while he's on the run.
- My Greatest Failure: Hoodwink never forgave himself for allowing a rich guy to brainwash his daughter into the ideal House Wife. It led him to drinking and drove away his wife. Now he throws himself into harm way's way whenever Ari's in danger to make up for it.
- My Greatest Second Chance: Guilt ridden by allowing his daughter to be revised(i.e. brainwashed) Hoodwink takes the heat for a bombing to make up for it.
- Necessary Evil: This is Leader's opinion of the gols in a nutshell: we hate them but we need them.
- Only Known by Their Nickname:
- 'Hoodwink' is a nickname he earned as a teenage thief.
- 'Leader' is the name of The Leader of the Users. His real name is never given.
- Papa Wolf: The reason Hoodwink does anything is to keep his daughter out of harm's way.
- Power Nullifier: Bronze collars that suppress the humans' lightning powers. They also prevent premature aging caused by such powers.
- Shock and Awe: All humans develop lightning powers and gols put a Power Nullifier on them because of them.
- Your Terrorists Are Our Freedom Fighters: The Users are known as terrorists becuase they advocate a collar-free society. Their leader is proud of the fact that they've never killed a single human in their activities.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Hoodwink and the Users think little of Gols because they're artifical humans programed to do one thing and one thing only. They can't have more than a superficial conversation or they'll default to Welcome to Corneria.