open/close all folders
- In the first game's intro, the lyrics "Don't get me wrong I love you" play with Sora and Riku on screen with Riku reaching out a hand for Sora to take. Sora also runs out to Riku when he's holding out his hand to him as a big wave comes crashing down.
- Later, when the Heartless come to the island Sora comes across Riku. Sora was worried about him and looks on in concern when darkness threatens to envelop Riku. Riku again gestures at Sora to take his hand and choose to go with him but he disappears before their hands can touch.
- In the early part of the game, there's a scene in which Riku hands Sora a paopu fruit and explains to him that when two people share such a thing it entwines their destinies. He finishes this with: "Come on, I know you want to try it." Kairi's name is not mentioned at all in this scene, so if you take it out of context it comes across as Riku asking Sora to share a paopu fruit with him. Erm...
- Also in the first game, Riku gets pretty mad when he thinks Sora has "dumped" him for Donald and Goofy. Sure, it's technically a friendship thing, but there are some who look at it differently...
- When Sora feels like he's done for in the battle against a superpowered Ansem he imagines Riku speaking encouraging words to him and regains the resolve to fight again.
- Sora, Donald, and Goofy's friendship in general.
- Sora and Donald bicker Like an Old Married Couple a bit in the Deep Jungle world, going as far as giving each other the silent treatment.
- Ansem and Riku have this as well as Foe Yay. Something about Ansem constantly talking about Riku letting him into his heart...
Chain of Memories
- There's this exchange from Re:Chain of Memories which screams No Yay like a banshee.
Ansem: Riku... I can see your heart...
Riku: No...it's not. Darkness this foul could only...only be—
Ansem: That's it, remember me... Let me drift into your heart...
Ansem: You called out my name. You have been thinking about me... You're afraid of the darkness I command. Good... The more you think of me, the closer my return draws. And when I have awoken, I will take hold... Your heart will be mine!
- Probably the biggest amount of consistent Ho Yay, (throughout the Re: Chain Of Memories, and with the most questionable dialogue,) was between Sora and Replica Riku. Repliku kept acting like some sort of heart broken lover in regards to Sora, using phrases like, "You never cared about me!" and "You're only ever worried about her!" It's a big Flanderization of Riku's Foe Yay with Sora in the first game. The pinacle of this pure Yaoi Fodder was this little exchange.
Repliku: Sora... You're always trying to worm your way into my heart!
Sora: Hold on...When did I ever do that?
Repliku: Oh, so you forgot about THAT too?! You never cared...IT NEVER MATTERED TO YOU! (runs off, might as well be crying angry tears.)
- Implied in Chain of Memories and the only report made by Lexaeus that there's a hint of Ho Yay directed towards Zexion, his last words apologizing to Zexion for his failure and ultimate death, and the entry shows that, out of the entire Organization, Zexion is the only one Lexaeus trusts. Lexaeus and Zexion are even hanging around each other as Aeleus and Ienzo when returned back as their Somebodies.
Kingdom Hearts II
- Everything else seems to pale in comparison to Axel and Roxas' subtext-that-might-as-well-be-text in Kingdom Hearts II and 358/2 Days (very chiefly on Axel's part in both cases, as Roxas is shown to be too naive to fully grasp the idea of love). Then there's the hintings of Axel having some kind of deep relationship with Saix before they both become Nobodies. Axel will do anything to save Roxas in KH2, even going against the Organization and performing a suicide attack to save him.
- Not just that—Axel by all accounts goes completely bonkers when he realizes Roxas has become Sora and doesn't remember him.
- In the novels Axel was planning on burning down the mansion he and Roxas fought in so that they would die together rather than be separated again. He ultimately couldn't go through with it, but still.
- One of the bonus scenes in the Japanese-only Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix, in which Axel and Roxas' spirits meet up one last time on the clock tower after Axel's death, where Axel questions the fact that they're not supposed to have hearts, and seems absolutely heartbroken that this will be the last time he can ever see Roxas. When they say goodbye for the last time, Axel addresses Roxas by the Japanese word for partner, and a single tear falls from his eyes.
Sora: Axel? What were you trying to do?
Axel: I wanted to see Roxas. He was the only one I liked. He made me feel...like I had a heart.
- Or how about this one:
Roxas: No one would miss me.
Axel: That's not true! (quietly) I would...
- To say nothing of the fact that the first thing Axel does when he's realized that Roxas has become Sora is to track down Sora's girlfriend and kidnap her, complete with very loaded dialogue. It's strongly implied by Axel's last words that he was planning on using Kairi to transform Sora into a Heartless, and thus release Roxas again.
Axel: We've got something in common, Kairi. You and I both miss someone we care about.
- Like in the original film The Lion King, Timon and Pumbaa live together and even raise Simba together.
- Sora spends a lot of time during the game asking what seems to be every single character whether they've seen Riku or not, and once he does find Riku it culminates in Sora falling to his knees while holding Riku's hand and openly sobbing.
Sora: (while falling to his knees) Riku! It's Riku. Riku's here...I looked for you!
Riku: C'mon, Sora. You've got to pull it together.
Sora: I looked everywhere for you!
- The two exchange some pretty bubbly praise for each other while wandering around in the Realm of Darkness.
- When Riku is too weak to stand after defeating Xemnas, Sora supports him, with his hand much closer to Riku's rear than is necessary.
- The opening of Kingdom Hearts 2 has Sora holding hands with both Kairi and Riku.
- There's even some mild Ho Yay between Setzer and Roxas at the beginning of Kingdom Hearts II.
- Oh, and then there's Seifer's "Isn't this ROMANTIC!?" line, in battle against Roxas or Sora. Although the line could be a reference to his Final Fantasy VIII counterpart.
- Kairi and Namine hold hands while doing the Girly Run while escaping from The Castle That Never Was.
Birth By Sleep
- Terra and Ven also qualify here, especially from Ven's side. Ven spends the majority of his story chasing after Terra because he doesn't want to be left behind, and refuses to believe that Terra has done anything wrong until the last moment. When Terra discovers that Master Eraqus is about to kill Ven he absolutely loses it and attacks Eraqus with the intent to kill.
- Vanitas and Ven share some very intense Foe Yay, to say the least.
- Aqua in manages to have this with Cinderella, by taking the man's place in the scene where, in the movie, the Duke takes her hand and guides her to a chair. Then by shielding her with her body when they're attacked. Then by helping her up with a lingering hand on her ass. Watch 2:06, and from 4:03 to 4:25 if you don't believe me.
Dream Drop Distance
- The Ho Yay continues in Dream Drop Distance, as Riku subconsciously dives into Sora's dreams to protect him from darkness's influence. Doesn't help that the two constantly reference each other.
Riku: I'm going back to the real world, and then to Sora's side.
- Some of Mickey's comments add to this:
Mickey: Riku and Sora. The Sound Ideas you set free joined together. And when they did, they made a great and powerful harmony.Mickey: Itís like each of you is holding on to a little part of the other.
- Let's face it, 3D really played up Sora and Riku's "bromance" for all it was worth. Especially Riku's speech before he dives into Sora's dream the second time.
- In the very first world they visit, Riku reaches out to touch the hologram Sora's face. He could have touched anywhere else to see whether it was real, but he chose to try and touch Sora's cheek.
- Riku is a Dream Eater for Sora. How do you make Dream Eaters stronger? By petting and...ahem...rubbing them.
- Sora and Riku's joint attack is a merged Keyblade....with a heart at the tip of the blade and a paopu fruit as the handle's charm.
- Who does Sora call out to when YMX is telling him just how badly things have been screwed up? When he's fading into darkness and about to be used as the thirteenth dark vessel? Riku.
- When Riku wakes up, Sora is so overjoyed to see he's okay that he tackles Riku with a hug that lasts at least 10 seconds.
- Some of Mickey's comments add to this:
- Lea's first thought after he wakes up is understandably "Where...what happened to me?" His second thought, though, is "Roxas?" Priorities, everyone.
- Not to mention that before he woke up Lea was dreaming about Roxas. And that everything he's doing for the heroes is really for Roxas.
- YMX seems quite amused/pleased at the thought of Sora thinking he is part of Sora's dream, and right before Sora falls into a coma from submitting to the darkness he leans in rather suggestively... Heck, that scene has rape-y tones in general.
- Axel/Lea and Saïx tend to act like a divorced couple.
- Roxas and Sora hold hands and "merge".
- Joshua wastes no time in flirting with both Neku and Riku whenever he sees them.
- In the 358/2 days manga, after Roxas and Xigbar find out the impostor is really Demyx with his hood up and Xigbar starts scolding him, asking him if he's "firing blanks". In English this has a VERY different colloquial meaning than what Xigbar actually meant.
- Coded has plenty of questionable lines/moments between Data-Riku and Data-Sora, not least of which when Sora proclaims that he's "inside Riku" and has to find a way out.