is a 1993 film that is directed by Robert Altman
. This is a Hyperlink Story
following 23 "ordinary" people, including eight couples, a baker, and a little kid, who go through their ordinary lives but several end in death. Each story thread has loose connections with some of the others, and most are unresolved at the end
. The film was based off of nine short stories written by Raymond Carver.
The film was nominated for Academy Award
Best Director and won Golden Globe for Best Screenplay. The Film currently holds a 94% on RottenTomatoes.
Not to be confused with the manga Short Cuts
This film provides examples of:
- All-Star Cast
- Dirty Cop
- Divorce Assets Conflict: A husband, Stormy Weathers, facing an impending messy divorce saws every piece of the couple's furniture in two.
- Except for the TV and the clock. He also cuts her clothes, and EVERYTHING he finds within the house, with scissors.
- Disposing of a Body: It happens offscreen, but the body found by Stuart's group of fishermen.
- Driven to Suicide: Zoe Trainer.
- Harmful to Minors: Used, when the cop's daughter enters parents' room while..., and averted, with the sexual phone calls while feeding the kids.
- Infant Immortality: Subverted when Casey dies from his injuries.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Meddlesome Patrolman: Gene takes advantage of his uniform to pull over good-looking women and ask them for dates.
- He also uses it to get back his own dog.
- Not Cheating Unless You Get Caught: What Gene, the cop, goes by. His wife already knows, but finds it more amusing to watch him pointlessly try to cover it up.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Ralph twice deals with this, once when walking in on his wife Marian's friend posing for a nude portrait, and again when Marian berates him while ironing the skirt she just spilled a drink on.
- Punch Drunk Love: Earl
- Too Dumb to Live: Casey Finnigan, who runs out in front of a clearly visible car, then refuses the help of the driver Doreen after she hits him.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Claire calls Stuart out on continuing a fishing trip after discovering a dead body in the river.