Film: Red Sonja
Sonja: No man may have me, unless he's beaten me in a fair fight.
Kalidor: So, the only man that can have you, is one who's trying to kill you. That's logic.Red Sonja is a 1985 film based on the Marvel comic book series, starring Brigitte Nielsen and Arnold Schwarzenegger.After her family is slaughtered by the evil Queen Gedren and she is raped by Gedren's men, a young woman named Sonja is empowered by a mysterious being so that she can seek revenge. She gets her chance when the Queen steals a powerful object named the Talisman, and she is tasked to destroy it. She is joined in her journey by Lord Kalidor and Prince Tarn and his aide Falkon, the remnants of a fallen kingdom.
This film has the examples of:
- As You Know: The movie starts out with the title character laying barely conscious in a field as a mysterious spirit grants her the power to get her revenge, but first it explains Sonja's own backstory to her in great detail. It's especially awkward because it presumably all happened to her moments before the movie started, and involves her being raped and having her family killed off, which are things you'd think she wouldn't need (or want) to be reminded about.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Queen Gedren doesn't shy away from combat, as she takes on Sonja herself in the climax.
- Bad with the Bone: Falkon's weapon of choice is a bone club.
- Badass Boast:Brytag: I will tell the future in your entrails, Red Woman!Sonja: I know my future. You have none.
- Best Her to Bed Her: The character is the former Trope Namer. The film provides the page quote.
- Big Bad: Queen Gedren, who threatens various kingdoms with her powers, and is Sonja's personal enemy.
- Captain Ersatz: Kalidor to Conan, to the point where he's played by the same actor as Conan.
- Captain Obvious: Sonja is weeping over her sister, who's just died. Kalidor leans down, touches her lightly on the shoulder and says, "She's dead."
- Collapsing Lair: Gedren's castle
- Disney Villain Death: Gedren falls into a river of lava after she is stabbed by Sonja.
- '80s Hair: Sonja's waist-length mullet certainly qualifies.
- Enigmatic Empowering Entity: The spirit that grants Sonja's strength in the opening.
- Flynning: Subverted; Sonja shows the prince why this wouldn't really work in a real fight.
- Hands-On Approach: Sonja with young prince Tarn.
- Harmful to Touch: The Talisman can only be touched by women. If a man touches it, he will instantly disintegrate.
- Inventional Wisdom: The Trap Door through which Falkon falls leads to the Gedren's mooks' mess hall, for some reason.
- Large Ham: With this sort of film it's arguably inevitable, but Sonja and the boy prince in particular can get quite dramatic with their lines. It really says something when, in the famous scene with the page quote, Arnold Schwarzenegger seems quite subtle and nuanced compared to Brigitte Nielson.
- Mechanical Monster: Sonja and co. fight an aquatic one on their journey to Gedren's castle.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: When Sonja accuses Gedren of slaughtering her family, she dismisses the accusations as from her point of view, the victims' lives are nothing in comparison with a minor scar Sonja made on her cheek.
- Mook Lieutenant: Ikol is in chrage of Gedren's men.
- Ms. Fanservice: While Sonja's outfit in the film is not quite as revealing as her Chainmail Bikini in the comics...it's still quite Stripperific.
- Off with His Head!: Sonja decapitates Gedren's court wizard after he tries to kill her.
- Protagonist Title: Red Sonja is the protagonist.
- Psycho Lesbian: Gedren doesn't take rejection too well, as Sonja's dead family can attest to.
- Rape and Revenge: Half of Sonja's motivation. The other half is her dead family.
- Red-Headed Hero: Make that heroine.
- Ribcage Ridge: Used as a bridge over a river of lava.
- Shoot the Mage First: In the climax of the film, Sonja is fighting Queen Gedren. Every time she gets close enough to attack, a Mook teleports Gedren away and Sonja has to chase her down again, while the mage uses Voodoo-like magic to cut Sonja with a dagger. After this happens two or three times, Sonja has enough and chops the guy's head off.
- Spiritual Successor: To Arnold's Conan films. More exactly, it is a spiritual successor to Conan the Destroyer.
- Statuesque Stunner: Brigitte Nielsen, aside from being a looker, is 6'1 and it shows.
- Take Over the World: What Gedren plans to do with the Talisman.
- We Can Rule Together: Gedren's offer to Sonja...or would have been, if not for the whole "scar" thing.
- You're Insane!: Ikol reacts this way when Gedren rejects his plea to stop using the talisman before it's too late. Sonja shoots this at her, too.