A 2000 romantic comedy starring David Duchovny
and Minnie Driver
This film contains examples of the following tropes:
- Billy Needs An Organ: Grace, a twenty-something woman, needs a heart.
- Black Best Friend: Charlie is Bob's best friend, and the only prominent black character.
- Contrived Coincidence
- Excuse Plot: Romantic Comedies have been built on less but the central conflict is, "my girlfriend has an organ from my late wife" is weird but not exactly life-denying.
- Good Times Montage: A nice one set to Frank Sinatra's "At Long Last Love"
- Orphaned Punchline: "I told you, I don't want no brown bananas!"
- The Matchmaker: Boy howdy. Grace has an entire troop of them in her grandpa, her uncle, their friends, etc.
- Shipper on Deck: Nearly everyone in this movie is rooting for Bob and Grace to get together.
- The Promise: Elizabeth promises Bob that some day they'll go to Italy together
- Survivor Guilt: Grace has a version of this, since she knows that she's only alive because someone else is dead.