Blow is a Biopic about the life of George Jung, a cocaine dealer from the 1970's. Starring Johnny Depp, Franka Potente, PenÚlope Cruz, and Paul Reubens.This film portrays the main events in George Jung's life. The film begins in the early 1950's, where George's father goes into bankruptcy, and George vows to himself that he will never be poor like his father. Next we see George move to Southern California, where he and his friend Tuna discover the profitable business of dealing marijuana. George goes on to delve deeper and deeper into the business of drug dealing, which results in great wealth, but disastrous consequences.This film was written by David Mckenna, and directed by the late Ted Demme.
This film provides examples of:
- Based on a True Story: For the most part.
- Big Fancy House: George and Mirtha live in one of these... for a while.
- Briefcase Full of Money: Briefcases full of money, boxes full of money, bags full of money. There is lots and lots of money.
- Camp Gay: Paul Ruebens as Derek Foreal.
- Deadly Nosebleed
- Dysfunctional Family: Drug dealers aren't noted for being great parents.
- Gonna Need More X:George: (looking for place to put their money) Where do I put it?Diego: Uh.. Try the back bedroom.George: No room.Diego: Try the closet.
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Played With, as George was obviously quite happy with smuggling and dealing marijuana in California and New England... but it was only after he was sent to prison for it that he learned about cocaine and just how lucrative dealing that would be.
- How We Got Here: The film begin's with George's arrest at his final deal before going back to his childhood and following his drug career at the start proper.
- The Masochism Tango: George and Mirtha do spend an awful lot of time fighting. (And there's very brief flashes of S&M stuff.)
- Historical Beauty Update: The incredibly attractive Johnny Depp as George Jung◊ (The makeup people do uglify Depp for his final scene.)
- Ironic Echo: "It was perfect."
- I Have No Son: George's Mom is not happy about the way he makes a living.
- A Minor Kidroduction