Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Lucky Star
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by SpiriTsunami.
- Not too many fics, but the ones he has are nice and long. There's a completed Konami clocking in at 44 chapters, with an in-progress Ayano/Misao that spins off from it somewhere around Chapter 18. Also currently working on a Yutaka/Minami, so yay shipping!
- Be warned, though: The vocabulary can get a little repetitive. Read the Misano fic for too long, and you might find yourself saying the word "cute" a lot. Also adorable, to a lesser extent, but mostly cute. The sweetness contained in these fics may have a chaHNNNNNNNNNNNNGH
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
A Cluster of Stars
- Recommended by Sirkku Jää Keiju.
- His "Lucky Stars and Gitahs" series is a crossover with K-On!, and it's very enjoyable.
, by RobDaZombie
- Recommended by Sackett.
- Recommendation seconded by the All Powerful Archmage. Great story, and I follow it religiously.
- Recommendation thirded by SpiriTsunami, who had already been following the author after reading a Negima!/Love Hina crossover he did.
- Recommendation fourthed by Bunny Hopper, who came to this page solely to recommend this if it wasn't already up.
- Synopsis: A series of short stories focusing on the humor found in daily life for the cast. Original Flavor.
Into The Dark
- Recommended by Hanz.
- Synopsis: A crossover between Lucky Star and Fallout 3, with Konata in the role of The Lone Wanderer. Kagami and Tsukasa follow along, with other characters taking the place of other Fallout characters (the author provides a list of what character will represent who in his page). The story covers the game all the way up to Broken Steel, with some mentions to the DLC (notably, Tsukasa getting dragged off to Point Lookout).
- Comments: It's an interesting interpretation of the setting, with the author taking a few liberties (the culture is more 80-90s themed than 50s). It's also a rather spectacular Break the Cutie story, considering well... It's the goddamn Capital Wasteland.
Miyuki Thespian Extraordinaire
- Recommended by Pahn.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: It has been one year since Kagami and Konata accepted each other's love, but while celebrating their anniversary, something strange begins to occur.
- Comments: This Author seems to have a talent for downplaying the greatness of his stories with his summaries. This is a dark crossover of Lucky Star with Silent Hill. It includes a few well written OCs as well. There isn't much tie in with the Silent Hill video games outside of some mentions of the town, and the Wish House orphanage. It instead centers around Konata's mysterious connection to one of the OCs, as well as the dark backstory to how Konata and Kagami came to be a couple. Well worth a read as it does justice to both sides of the crossover.
Other Worlds Than These
- Recommended by andyjay729.
- Synopsis: A look at the series through Miyuki's eyes, told largely through Inner Monologue. But as per the title, Miyuki Takara here is not the Miyuki we know and love. She's actually a
borderline demented lunatic, an utter sociopath, guttermouthed, and hates the rest of the cast (with the exception of her longtime friend Minami) to the point where one wonders if Akira is a distant relative of hers (hey, they both have pink hair). And she and Minami are both expert gamers; perhaps rivaling Konata. Minami isn't as crass, but she apparently reads some doujins that even Squick out Miyuki...as well as the author.
- Comments: It's certainly an...interesting look at the show. And as you can see, this is also from the same screwed-up author as Falling Stars above (he gives you some glimpse as to what's going on in his head on his FF.net profile).
Standing Between Luck and Oblivion
- Recommended by Onmoraki.
- Reccomendation seconded by JonAxDrayda and Nightmare Syndrom. Great story, and a very intriguing plot.
- Synopsis: Massive Multiplayer Crossover centered in the Lucky Star universe. Starting out in the girls’ second year of high school, Konata is picked up by a secret organization from another universe, and with her new Mysterious Exchange Student friend, goes into other worlds of anime or video games to Fight Crime. Meanwhile, the rest of the main cast has absolutely no clue any of this is going on.
- Comments: The crossovers, of which there are plenty, are well done and easy to follow. Despite the fantasy aspect, everyone manages to stay in character, and in between crossovers it almost becomes OriginalFlavor. The universe-hopping aspect results in such diverse situations as turning into a vampire or stealing a giant robot that usually wouldn’t happen in the regular show, but the way Konata handles them fits her personality very well.
- The story has concluded, and this troper thinks it's one of the best endings of any story out there.
Tsukasa vs. Miyuki
- Recommended by MadderSky, sorathecrow.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami(?), Minami/Yutaka.
- Synopsis: A crossover fiction combining the characters of Lucky Star with the setting of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Kagami has failed to protect the Emperor as his bodyguard, and been sent to find his son and heir Martin. On the way she runs into a small, childish looking Elf girl who appears extremely interested in helping her, and even more interested in getting her alone somewhere...
- Comments: Starts off with chapters that are a little short, but soon improve into good lengths without any dip in the consistently good writing quality. The detail is excellent, with descriptions of the surroundings and clothing etc, and the characters are all completely spot on with one another. Fighting is handled very well, with genuine threats met with genuine injuries but it never gets over the top to the point where the story itself is forgotten. And though there is blood and obviously pain involved, tthe author never gets sadistic and it wont make you squeamish. Most importantly of all, its beyond fun to read. The fic puts the cast into a situation very different from anything youd usually see and its a joy to anyone who is bored with the same-old fictions. A unique, imaginative fiction well deserving of praise that is even accessible to people who have no knowledge of the Elder Scrolls universe at all.
- Like the other Troper said, chapters start short and the dialogue a little stale, but as he goes on the author seems to get more comfortable and the quality takes a leap in all areas. As of this writing, the story is already quite lengthy, weighing in at about 15 chapters, and probably not even half way through the "main" story. The casting choices, like Kagami as a warrior half-elf, Konata as a rogue, Miyuki as an archer/mage/alchemist, Akira as a assasin, etc are all perfect. While changes neccessarily have to be made to some aspects of characters to preserve the story (Konata's video game/anime references are mainly stripped away) the author does a remarkable job at keeping true to each character's "essence." As it is a "Konami" paring, the two character's relationships are naturally...expanded... but its only part of the bigger plot, so the fluff doesn't grate on the nerves too much, even coming off as funny and cute at times.
by tori (On Danbooru
, NSFW but still Danbooru
by Mushy Peaches
- Recommended by LetsPretend.
- Status: Ongoing
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: A genre mashup of medieval, steampunk, and magical elements infused into Lucky Star meets Demon's Souls. The tale itself is told from many points of view, namely Konata's, on her quest to locate her missing father who recently disappeared. She is joined initially on her journey by Kagami, Tsukasa and Miyuki. Her travels lead her to the forbidden apocalyptic kingdom of Boletaria, a land destroyed by demons. When she reaches the kingdom however, destiny seems to have plans in mind for her other than finding her missing father.
- Comments: The story is epic in the traditional sense of the word. The dialogue, settings, set pieces, the plot itself, the characters, everything feels larger than life. It's extremely detailed, very engrossing, and the vocabulary is extensive and almost always fresh, rarely is it repetitive. Humor is very prevalent and witty, the romance still finds time to warm your heart between the deep plot and battles with ferocious beasts. The Lucky Star characters are kept in-character despite the somewhat grim setting. Every single one of the girls, and every character period, has their own unique and fleshed out subplots and back story that is given care and attention to develop. And the constantly switching point of view gives a broader sense of everyone's thoughts on things, instead of the perceptions of a single character. Flashbacks are prevalent, but are always transitioned into well. Be warned that some chapters can get extremely long, and updates to the story seem to be somewhat sporadic. Despite this, high recommendation for this fic if you're a fan of swashbuckling adventure, romance, non-stop rapid fire jokes, or all of the above. Knowledge of the Demon's Souls universe is not required, as it seems the author is conveying their own perception of said universe rather than stripping it all directly from the lore.
, by FringeBenefits
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by hyperderpy
- Crossover with: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- Pairings: Kagami/Homura
- Synopsis: Homura crosses timelines to transfer into Kagami's class in Ryouou High, in order to protect the Hiiragi sisters from a multidimensional threat... one that's already destroyed one universe.
- Comments: Revising my earlier comments: This is much, much more than a mere shipping fic, though that is a significant part of it. What's being done in Stars Above is a real, honest-to-God epic crossover. The authors clearly understand the important themes of both series, and care deeply about both sets of characters. They're doing a great job of contrasting the two worlds, and playing the differences in interesting ways. Special mention also goes to the fight scenes, which are awesomely epic and creepy in the same way the Witch battles were in Madoka. Highly recommended!
Level Up! Love!
- Recommended by MugenKagemaru.
- Seconded by Jbstormburst. It is certainly more than what is left by the summary. Has the best characterization and progression that I've seen in any fanfic. Ever.
- Thirded by Thanotosomega. This the best fic i have ever read it feels so true to the show you would swear it was a script for some episodes you had missed
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: A powerful storm hits, but that won't stop Konata from trying to have some fun.
- Comments: Don't let the bare-bones summary fool you, there is more to this story than just Konata wanting to have fun (in either sense of the word) during a storm. I personally found it very interesting, so give it a read.
- Recommended by Extraintrovert.
- Recommendation seconded by Sirkku Jää Keiju. As far as I know this was the first really good Konami fic and it entertained and inspired so many of people.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami.
- Synopsis: Level Up! Love! is the comical and emotional story of Konata's attempts to woo Kagami, using a ridiculously circuitous plan highly appropriate for the obsessive Otaku.
- Comments: Even those who have an aversion to the pairing should still read it for the masterful translation of the series to text format, retaining each character's distinctive behaviors and mannerisms as well as the nature of the series' humour itself.
by uncredited author (doujinshi, Girls Love
Three Days, Five Steps
- Recommended by Koveras.
- Seconded by LORd. The Girls Love is kind of meh, but holy s, that's a soul-crushing depiction of loneliness if I've ever seen one.
- Thirded by BenAllen52. Dark Fic indeed, but unlike so many of them, with a rather uplifting, hopeful ending. Be forewarned though - the depths of despair Konata has fallen to could very well make her fans cry with sympathy.
- Fourthed by Videogamer07. It's worth a read, if only for the interpretation of Konata and Kagami after their high school years.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: After graduating from school, Kagami became a loner, wasting her days without interacting with anyone. Then Konata enters her life again...however, Kona-chan is now a suicidally depressed introvert who can barely remember the college she's attending.
- Comments: A Dark Fic recommended for its all-encompassing depressiveness. But don't worry, the ending is kinda happy.
- Your mileage may definitely vary. Some fans, including nukerjsr (really, just ask him), would call this a mess of soppy Wangst and Character Derailment.
- Regardless of your opinion on the doujin, it will most likely change your views on the series and the characters' relations, and behaviors, toward each other...dramatically.
- It doesn't help this caused a massive amounts of fanfics of similarly wangsty nature, much to the dismay of everyone who wanted some other kind of lucky star story.
- Note that there is an Epilogue! It's in a slightly different style, and is more fluffy than resolving, but it's apparently done by the same author and adds a little inner dialogue to it all.
and its sequel Lucky Leap
Lucky Star: I Never Really Thought About It
- Recommended by Dion Shmion.
- Recommendation seconded by Omegahugger. There just isn't enough non-mainstream pairings out there, so this is a nice breath of fresh air.
- Thirded by Sirkku Jää Keiju. The descriptiveness and detail is exceptional. I just wish there was a sequel...
- Sirkku Jää Keiju says: and now there IS a sequel - looking incredibly good already.
- Stamina Rose says: Its nice to be appreciated. Just wish i could work faster...
- Pairing(s): Tsukasa/Misao
- Synopsis: Misao comes to Hiiragi's for a study session. As Kagami is out at the moment, Misao meets Tsukasa instead. Fluff and an odd romance ensues.
- Comments: A breath of fresh air in the not-very-diverse Lucky Star fleet. Misao and Tsukasa work remarkably well together. Well written, aside from the occasional your/you're flub. Completed.
- There is a fair amount of Cerebus Syndrome in the sequel, though it's somewhat understandable.
- Unfortunately, the author suffered from a bad case of Creator Backlash, and decided to discontinue the sequel.
Lucky*Star: Truth or Dare!
- Recommended by kokopelli11
- Pairing(s): Kagami/Konata, implied Minami/Yutaka and Patty/Hiyori.
- Synopsis: Charming story where Kagami and Konata realize they have feelings for one another but neither of them knows how to display it.
- Comments: Much like the show, loves making references to anime and video games (chapter 2 has Konata talking about a certain Water Temple Boss with a moving eye). It's very fluffy at certain points, but turns into a bit of angst in later chapters. At 27 chapters (that's excluding the "I've dropped the fic" notice at "Chapter" 28), with some humorous author's notes and guest appearances by Lucky Channel, this is a story you don't want to pass up.
and its sequel, Lucky*Star: Dare!
- Recommended by Sirkku Jää Keiju.
- Pairing(s): Kagami/Konata, Patty/Hiyori, Minami/Yutaka, and a surprise one.
- Synopsis: The four main characters start playing truth or dare, and things escalate from that.
- Comments: A fireworks of twisted humor, obscure references, and - differing from the show - this story is kinky. The gags include things like comical nosebleeds, dressing into whipped cream (only!) and kinky cosplay, misunderstandings at a love hotel, a bout of nude judo, panty shots, and food play. However, all this happens without excplicit scenes. The girls also manage to have cute little romances along the way.
- Recommended by nukerjsr.
- Pairing(s): Patrica/Hiyori, Minami/Yutaka, slight Konata/Kagami.
- Synopsis: After the graduation of the third year students, this story focuses on the slice-of-life adventures and budding relationships of the first year students. The other girls have made apperances, but they are not the focus at all.
- Comments: Despite a shaky start that makes it seem like it's Konata/Kagami-centric, Lucky Legacy is a really great story that gives attention and new perspective to Hiyori, Patty, Yutaka, and Minami. It follows the style of the anime very well, and while it has some seriousness or fluff, it is a very light and enjoyable read filled with great laughs, references, and enjoyable moments all around. Really good if you enjoyed the later episodes of the anime, or if you want some nice Hiyori/Patty.
- Recommended by Pichu-kun.
- Pairing(s): Ayano/Misao.
- Synopsis: Don't worry, it's in English. A Misao/Ayano fanfic with a new writing style similar to a novel. Enjoy as the two slowly put away their masks and realize what the other means to them, and what they want the other to mean to them.
- Comments: It's at least a borderline Dark Fic, with gayngst and homophobia, but I highly recommend it if you like dark stories, deep stories, or Ayano/Misao. It revolves around a popular Alternate Character Interpretation of Ayano. As a Dead Fic, it hasn't been updated since September 2008, but it has plenty of chapters.
- Recommended by Omegahugger.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Nanako.
- Synopsis: Sometimes the best candy is the one behind your usual favorite. Konata realizes this, looking past even her age group and towards her teacher. With the realization of her new feelings, can she convinced her teacher to give her a chance? Can they match?
- Comments: It might be the crack'iest pairing out there, but RezleVettems actually makes it work. Like Mascara Sonreindo, it has some dark sides, but it is well-worth the read. Even if it stopped at the second-to-last chapter.
by Solarius Scorch
Someone Worth Fighting For
- Recommended by Sirkku Jää Keiju
- Pairing(s): Kagami/Tsukasa, and Kagami/someone not known yet.
- Synopsis: It's 2020 and Kagami Hiiragi is 30 years old. And alone. But then, things start to happen.
- Comments: Excellent lemon, but also an excellent story which takes more than one surprising turn. This is NSFW with its adult themes including twincest.
The Day Everything Changed
- Recommended by Osric.
- Pairing(s): Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: Kagami is in the hospital with Konata staying faithfully by her side. Through a gradual realisation of the past day's events, Konata realises how much her best friend means to her. But will Kagami ever wake up?
- Comments: This Troper doesn't usually like Dark Fics for a light-hearted series like Lucky Star, but this one makes it work, with excellent writing that really manages to tug at the heartstrings. Sadly hasn't been updated in quite a while now, but what's there is a good read.
by Mr. Fanfic Guy
- Recommended by CJO123.
- Pairing: Konata/Kagami
- Synopsis: The first story in a planned 3-story Konata/Kagami story arc. It is Friday July 1, 2005, and the girls are in their first year at Ryoyou High School. Konata is madly in love with Kagami, but she has never been able to explain her true feelings to her. At the same time, one of the school bullies both absolutely despises and is insanely jealous of Kagami, and is absolutely convinced that she must take action. And at one point, she does by attacking Kagami with a metal pipe and a pocket knife. Despite being badly injured, Kagami survives, thanks to Konata defeating her attacker despite being banged up herself. At the hospital, Konata finally confesses to Kagami, and despite initially being stunned, Kagami accepts Konata's confession towards the very end of the story.
- Comments: May not be suitable for readers under the age of 13. A bit of a Dark Fic, due to the violent attack scene and Konata correctly predicting the attack in a nightmare she had the previous night. Also one of the relatively few Lucky Star fanfics to have a villain. It's also hard not to feel bad for either Konata or Kagami at times each for specific reasons listed in the plot. Luckily though, they got their happy ending when they ended up becoming a couple at the very end of the story. Overall, despite being slightly Darker and Edgier than most Lucky Star fanfics, it is still an interesting read.
by Mr. Fanfic Guy
Lucky Star: After Story
- Recommended by CJO123.
- Pairings: Konata/Kagami, Yutaka/Minami, Tsukasa/Miyuki
- Synopsis: This story is the follow-up to The Day Everything Changed, and the second in the Konata/Kagami story arc. It is set during the girls' Christmas and New Year's vacation between December 21, 2007 and January 4, 2008. In this fanfic, Konata and Kagami are now dating, and by the middle of the story, Yutaka and Minami as well as Tsukasa and Miyuki become romantic couples themselves. What will happen to them along the way? You'll have to read to find out.
- Comments: Even though there are still a few tense moments in this story, it is generally a Lighter and Softer fanfic compared to the relative darkness of The Day Everything Changed. Also, in this story, we get plenty of new characters, most are background characters with only two or three lines, but some of them get their own mini-plotlines as well as personalities. Two of the secondary characters were background characters in the first installment. And the best part, we not only get to see Konata and Kagami go out on dates, but we also see Yutaka and Minami become a couple, and soon after that we see Tsukasa and Miyuki become a couple as well. The story lasts for 18 chapters and has a total of 30,752 words. It should be an entertaining and fun-filled read, more suitable for younger readers.
by Mr. Fanfic Guy
- Recommended by CJO123.
- Pairings: Konata/Kagami, Tsukasa/Miyuki, Yutaka/Minami
- Synopsis: This fanfic is the follow-up to Holiday Vacation, and the conclusion of the author's planned Konata/Kagami story trilogy. The story starts in February of 2010, a little more than 2 years after the events of Holiday Vacation. So much stuff happens during this story it's hard to put it all into words. In Chapter 2, Konata and Kagami finally tie the knot after more than 4 years of dating. In Chapter 11, Konata and Kagami decide to have a baby. In Chapter 13, Tsukasa and Miyuki get married, after getting engaged in Chapter 11. In Chapter 20, Konata goes into labor and she gives birth to a daughter named Kanata. And finally in Chapter 28, Yutaka and Minami get married, after their engagement at the end of Chapter 26.
- Comments: The first chapter was uploaded on November 14, 2011. As of January 28, 2013, there are 29 chapters and the story has a current total of over 76,154 words. Several more new characters are introduced, in addition to the rather huge cast of original characters introduced in either The Day Everything Changed or Holiday Vacation that made it into this story as well. A very well written fanfic, and so far looking like a fitting conclusion to an excellent trilogy of fanfics.
- Recommended by Elevown
- Status: Ongoing
- Trope Page:The Rabbit And The Puppy:
- Pairing(s): Kagami/Tsukasa, probably Minami/Yutaka, possibly more later.
- Synopsis: As the group of girls has a pleasant conversation about smells and "cooking", an offhanded comment is made about Tsukasa's prospects as a wife. However, when Kagami agrees a little too... vehemently, what does she mean? Could this be the start of something new?
- Comments: A very well written, funny and sweet ongoing romance /slice of life story, 5 chapters so far (15th March, 2015) by an Author of another ongoing story (Luckier star) with over 500k words, so this will probably be quite long too! Falls into the very rare Twincest category, but NOT an NC 17 story. Acsuperman is very good at keeping the lucky star girls in character.