Fan Fic: Smooth Operators
‘‘Opera for dummies, by dummies.’’
Essentially The Abridged Series
in written form, Smooth Operators
parodies gently poke fun at both specific operas and operatic tropes in general.
The Smooth Operators team have so far abridged:
This series provide examples of:
open/close all folders
Così fan tutte
The Marriage of Figaro
I think so, but really, why should it matter whether Idamante is played by a tenor
or a mezzo-soprano
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Antonio thinks Bartolo is spying on Susanna and Marcellina for this reason.
- Bilingual Bonus: Cherubino’s song to the Countess.
- Calling Your Attacks: Susanna. It later helps Figaro recognise her when she is in disguise.
- Cloudcuckoolander: The Countess borders on this, often lapsing into non sequitur and frequently getting distracted by her own trains of thought when speaking.
- Colourful Theme Naming: The names of the village girls are variations on different shades of red.
- Dirty, Snooping Old Man: Doctor Bartolo.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Cherubino, according to the audience:
“Between that voice and those hips, “he’s” not fooling anyone.”
- Early-Bird Cameo: Monsieur Fal, from the third story in the Figaro trilogy, appears briefly in the third act.
- Fan Character: Bavón, the baker’s apprentice.
- Fanservice: Barbarina claims disguising Cherubino as a girl serves only “to appease the silly audience members who like this ‘yoo-ree’ stuff”.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Cherubino certainly seems to think so:
“Sometimes I dream about Godmamma, and sometimes about Barbarina, and sometimes about [Susanna] too! And sometimes, I dream about the three of you together!”
- Girly Run: Susanna instructs Cherubino how to do this when disguising him as a girl.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Cherubino; possibly Bavón.
- I Want Grandkids: Antonio becomes like this after learning Barbarina intends to marry Cherubino.
- Love at First Sight: Bavón for Cherubino, whom he mistakenly believes will reciprocate; Cherubino promptly sets him straight.
- Medium Awareness: Several characters appear to possess this, most notably the Countess.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Bavón attempts to poison Barbarina after Cherubino agrees to marry her.
- All Periods Are PMS: Used as part of the Countess’ plot to fool her husband:
Susanna: Sir, someone in the kitchen told me you had some chocolate . . . I wondered if I might be able to have it.
The Count: Chocolate? At this hour? Whatever for?
Susanna: It’s for her ladyship – she’s become rather… emotional. It’s quite distressing, actually – when I asked her if she was feeling all right, she screamed that she hated me and threw a chair at my head.
The Count: Wretched woman! She does this every month!
"Right, and I’m the king of Barataria!"
- Safe Word: Figaro and Susanna’s is “Portugal”.
- Talks Like a Simile: WitchChao: “Our situation seems to be stickier than a melted caramel chew on a warm gingersnap . . . ”
- Unusual Euphemism: “Show you my snail collection” ultimately becomes this.
- Victoria’s Secret Compartment: The Countess stores pens and leaves of parchment down the front of her bodice.
- Waxing Lyrical: With Loch Lomond, Bohemian Rhapsody and Oh! Susanna.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Smoperators team member SuperMimbles360 may be a budding example of this, expressing a desire to wear a kodona outfit instead of the dress she’s in.
- Yandere: Bavón.
- Yaoi Fangirl: At least three of the village girls ship Bavón/Cherubino.