Western Animation: SuperTed
(1982-1986, 1989-1990) was a Welsh
animated series, about the adventures of a teddy bear brought to life by an alien called Spotty and given magic powers by Mother Nature. He becomes SuperTed and, along with Spotty as his sidekick, he must save the world from Texas Pete
and his henchmen, Bulk
. An American version was made by Hanna-Barbara as part of their Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbara block which also featured Fantastic Max
, another show from creator Mike Young.
A reboot is planned to air in 2016.
This show provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Superted once dreamed about what his life would be without Spotty. It wouldn't have ended pleasantly...
- Ambiguously Camp Gay: Skeleton, and to a slightly lesser extent Spotty.
- 30 years later, Mike Young confirms Skeleton is indeed gay.
- Animal Superheroes
- By the Power of Grayskull!: Played with, as the viewer never hears the word itself, just Ted telling them he's going to use it.
- It is in fact wholly possible that "I'll just say my secret magic word" is the word. Bulk repeats those words in another episode and it actually works.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Superted once saved a young ruler from his Evil Uncle.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Superted only has powers when he's in his hero outfit.
- Dem Bones: Skeleton, a less than threatening example.
- Eviler Than Thou: Texas Pete felt the trope when he became Public Enemy Number Two instead of One.
- Enemy Mine: In the episode where Texas Pete was declared Public Enemy Number One, he lost the title to an intergalactic villain and became Public Enemy Number Two. Wanting to get rid of competition, Pete helped Superted to capture him. As a Crowning Moment of Funny, that made Pete Public Enemy Number Thirty-Three.
- Expository Theme Tune: "This is the story of an ordinary teddy bear..."
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: He was given magic powers by Mother Nature, and his best friend is a space alien.
- Fat and Skinny: Bulk and Skeleton.
- Fur Is Clothing: Superted unzips his bear suit to reveal a superhero costume underneath. Well, he is a stuffed toy imbued with a consciousness.
- Idiot Hair: Bulk's cow lick.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Superted is always pitted against the woefully incompetent Texas Pete, Bulk and Skeleton (who is an actual skeleton woken from his sleep in the first episode). Only Pete is even remotely threatening; the other two appear to be along for the ride.
- Jet Pack: Spotty's favourite means of transport.
- Mother Nature
- Wa...what Series: It's a weird Welsh thing. The only reason why SuperTed was made was because Mike Young's son had a phobia of the dark.