"I suppose I'd better warn you that in my act there is a certain amount of bad language. I'm not talking about split infinitives. There will be some swearing and there is some material of a sexual nature. So, if you are offended by rude or crude material, for heaven's sake, don't be a cunt about it."Jimmy Carr (b. 1972) is an English comedian and television host/presenter known for his deadpan delivery and black humour. Almost nothing is off-limits, as he's tackled such light-hearted topics as rape, pedophilia, 9/11, abortion, and the Holocaust, often done in a posh, Sophisticated as Hell manner.He has been presenter of a number of TV series, including 8 Out of 10 Cats, Big Fat Quiz of the Year, 10 O'Clock Live, and Distraction, as well as a frequent guest on QI. He also presented the 2003 Channel 4 show The 100 Greatest Scary Moments.He was briefly the subject of scandal in June 2012 when the Times newspaper published an editorial investigation into the extent of tax avoidance (as opposed to the illegal practice of tax evasion) prevalent among people in the public eye in Great Britain.Heckle him at your own risk.His stand-up shows on DVD are:
— Jimmy Carr: Live - opening lines
- Live (2004)
- Stand Up (2005)
- Comedian (2007)
- In Concert (2008)
- Telling Jokes (2009)
- Making People Laugh (2010)
- Being Funny (2011)
- Laughing and Joking (2013)
- Funny Business (2016, streaming on Netflix)
Tropes associated with Jimmy Carr:
- Actually Pretty Funny:
- While the Moral Guardians were a little upset when he joked that the troops wounded in the War On Terror would be good for the Great Britain team at the Paralympics, the soldiers who were actually asked found it hilarious.
- Sometimes has this reaction to heckles from the crowd. It's funnier for the audience when he doesn't ask for the Audience Participation and he'll often laugh with them.Carr: And he came back with the epically-harsh: "No, but [my mum dying of cancer] was funnier than this!"
- He's said that the best heckle he's ever gotten was when he wasn't even on stage, but in the audience of a fellow comedian's show. When he was no longer able to contain his Annoying Laugh and burst out in hysterics, the comedian immediately stopped his set and said to him in a very offended tone, "Alright, Jimmy, knock it off. I don't laugh when I go see one of your shows!"
- All Men Are Perverts
- Animal Testing: One example, "Cats have nine lives, which makes them ideal for experimentation."
- Annoying Laugh: "I do realise that when I laugh, it sounds like a seal is being molested."
- Audience Participation: He invites the audience to ask him questions or give suggestions, which sometimes leads to heckling.
- In Being Funny, he encourages the audience to insult him, as he misses the actual heckling he used to get when he was less well known.
- He sometimes receives random put-downs in his live shows and answers them in a variety of ways. Sometimes he just tells them (merrily) to fuck off.
- Auto Erotica: Played with in his "Carr park" joke.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: One of his gags, when either talking to a sexually adventurous woman in the audience or as a reply to an audience member whistling at him."Have her washed and brought to my room. I'm joking; don't wash her."
- Belief Makes You Stupid: Has mocked Christianity on a number of occasions. One time, he singled out a Christian in the audience and pretended to offer to sell him magic beans because of the naivete he perceived in the audience member.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Questions this in one of his shows, calling women who think this is important "just shallow."
- Black Comedy
- Black Comedy Rape:
- "I don't like the word 'rape'. I prefer the term 'struggle snuggle'."
- His whole scenario based around a superhero called "Rape Boy".
- Bookends: His Telling Jokes special begins and ends with him cracking the same Alzheimer's joke."The worst part about being told you have Alzheimer's..is it doesn't just happen the once."
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In one gag, he questions how the English news discuss the weather, pollen count, and terrorist threat levels (in that order).
- Brick Joke:
"Who doesn't know what McDonald's do at this day and age? You'd have to be living underground for 25 fucking years."
- In his Telling Jokes special, he cracks a few jokes about Josef Fritzl, the Austrian man who imprisoned his daughter in a cellar for 24 years and sexually abused her. Fairly typical of his Black Comedy. Later on he talks about how McDonald's signs actually say 'restaurant':
- See Bookends above.
- Brother-Sister Incest: When describing a threesome he had with twins (brother and sister).
- But Liquor Is Quicker
- Butt Monkey: Became a constant butt of jokes after his tax avoidance scandal in 2012. The 8 Out of 10 Cats episode covering it is especially merciless and all the more hilarious to watch.
- Celebrity Resemblance: The fact that Jimmy looks like tennis star Roger Federer has been mentioned more than a few times. He has joked that he gets his likeness from the fact that Roger Federer is his mom.
- Comically Missing the Point: Subverted after his delayed reaction to the audience here:"People like to smoke a cigarette after sex, but you can't buy cigarettes until you're sixteen, so I have to buy them for both of us. [To audience] You think it's wrong I'm buying a 15 year old cigarettes? [Realizing] You think it's wrong I'm fucking her?"
"The other night my girlfriend sat me down for one of those serious 'relationship' talks, where she talked at me for about three hours. She said, 'Jimmy, we've reached a crossroads in our relationship. Down one road is hard work and sacrifice, but, ultimately, happiness. And down the other road....well, the other road is a dead end.' To which I replied, 'That's not a crossroad, it's a T-junction.'" (Beat, as audience howls.) "Well, I'm glad you laughed. She went fucking mental."
- Also in this joke:
- Corrupt Church: He's an anti-theist, and usually mentions his Catholic upbringing with a reference to pedophilia."Don't get me wrong I still respect the Pope. I like to think of him as king of the paedos."
- Country Matters: Uses the "C-word" at least a few times per show.
- Cringe Comedy
- A Date with Rosie Palms: When describing the results of a sexual dream he had about Angelina Jolie:"I'm not saying it was romantic; I had to get the sheets off with a toffee hammer."
- Dissimile: "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves I mean other people. And by laugh I mean invade."
- Domestic Abuse: When describing how stupid the idea is, he says "It's your wife. It's like keying your own car."
- Everyone Has Standards:
Jimmy: Unhappiest home life! Oh no! That is cold! I think that's cold and I'm me.
- On one episode of 8 Out of 10 Catsnote , Matthew Crosby (who used to work as a teacher) talked about invigilating exams. They would stand next to the kid they thought were definitely a virgin or had the unhappiest home life. Jimmy looks scandalised.
Topic: Worst gift someone's ever gottenJimmy: "You got a breadmaker instead of an engagement ring? You broke up with him, right?"
- During the Audience Participation segments on his live shows, some of the responses he gets will incur visually and audibly appalled reactions from him. This can be after some undoubtedly more offensive jokes that he made.
- During a live segment where Jimmy encourage the audience to heckle him, one of the things he's genuinely offended by is "Your crisps were rubbish!"note
- The Hyena: His appearances on QI often feature his loud, staccato laughter.
- I Banged Your Mom: A prime example in Fun T-Shirt form (near the end of the clip).
- I Love Nuclear Power: "Ten years after the Chernobyl accident, and am I the only one thatís disappointed? Still no superheroes."
- Imagine the Audience Naked: His usual answer to when people ask him how he stands up in front of people and tells jokes. He notes that you shouldn't tell the audience that's what you're doing (before eyeing out an attractive female in the audience and staring at her seductively, complete with self-caressing), and it's not wise to do at a kindergarten.
- I'm Going to Hell for This: After a shot at Christianity, he remarked "That seems to have split the room into two groups - one group thought that was hilarious, and the other is going to heaven."
- Insistent Terminology: It isn't "porn", it's "gentlemens' special interest literature".
- I Take Offense to That Last One:"I've got a friend that got into an argument with a barmaid from Sunderland. Long story short, he ended up calling her a 'fat, ugly Geordie cunt.' And she said, 'I'm no a Geordie.'"
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay:
- He read the word "chav" before hearing it, thinking it was pronounced "shav".
- One of his more memorable lines is, "I don't have an accent.note I'm English. This is just how things sound when they're pronounced properly."
- Lame Comeback: During an Audience Participation segment on Funny Business Jimmy unleashes a Your Mom joke on someone who uses a tame and overused heckle. The audience member's response is an unnecessarily complex insult about Jimmy's face being wide. Jimmy has to point out how nonsensical that is.
- One-Liner: He's said in interviews that he writes about 250 one-liners for each new show.
- Never Heard That One Before: He said on his 2013 DVD Laughing and Joking that he's heard audience members ask "Where's Alan?" more times than he cares to count.
- Nightmare Face: This painting of him.◊ Try to say that his smile doesn't creep you out at least a little bit. Perhaps you'd like a closer look.◊
- Parental Incest: One time, he showed the audience a greeting card that had a cover with a teenage girl having fun with the caption "You're sixteen!" On the inside, he wrote "But it's still our little secret. Lots of love, Dad".
- Pedophile Priest: One of his many recurring Acceptable Targets."The church always had us standing, sitting, kneeling. I wish the priest would just pick a position and fuck me."
- Porn Without Plot: Has stated that this trope is tailored towards men so well that he makes it sound shocking when he tells them that women watch porn with actual plot all the way through."Why do women watch porn until the very end? They want to see if they get married."
- Raised Catholic: He references his upbringing in his stand-up routine, though he is now an anti-theist.
- Redheads Are Uncool:"I just saw that Harry Potter film. A bit unrealistic if you ask me. I mean, a ginger kid with two friends?"
"In my defense, (beat) I've got nothing."
- He's not afraid to make jokes about his tax avoidance scandal. His first 8 Out of 10 Cats episode after the scandal broke was chock-full of this.
"You're an accountant? Where were you when I fucking needed you, mate?" [Beat] "If you're watching this on Netflix in America, don't Google that, I'm a good guy." [sketchy glance]
- And upon hearing that an accountant was in attendance in at one of his shows:
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Smoking Hot Sex: See Comically Missing the Point above.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Often informs his style, due to his usually posh speaking voice and the fact that he was educated at Cambridge University. See the opening lines from his first DVD at the top of the page.
- Three-Way Sex
- Un Entendre: He tries to make anything mundane said by his girlfriend during sex into one of these."The recycling's coming tomorrow."
"The recycling's not the only thing coming tomorrow. Yeah, I'll separate your paper and plastic..."
- Unishment: When he forgot his Phys. Ed. gear at home one day, his "punishment" was being made to watch the girls use trampolines that day.
- Unusual Euphemism: Has referred to women being lesbian as "preferring the flatter shoe", and subsequently referred to lesbians turning straight as "getting back on solids".
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: One time, when he asked the audience for a superpower, someone shouted out "Rape!" He then made up a scenario based around a superhero called Rape Boy, and genuinely questioned whether rape is really a good superpower.
- Your Mom"If you want my comeback, you'll have to scrape it off your mum's teeth."