"I suppose I'd better warn you that in my act there is a certain amount of bad language. I'm not talking about split infinitives. There will be some swearing and there is some material of a sexual nature. So, if you are offended by rude or crude material, for heaven's sake, don't be a cunt
— Jimmy Carr: Live - opening lines
Jimmy Carr is a comedian and television presenter in Britain known for his deadpan delivery and black humour. Almost nothing is off-limits, as he's tackled such light-hearted topics
as rape, pedophilia, 9/11, abortion, and the Holocaust, often done in a posh, Sophisticated as Hell
He has been presenter of a number of TV series, including 8 Out of 10 Cats
, Big Fat Quiz of the Year
, 10 O'Clock Live
, and Distraction
, as well as a frequent guest on QI
. He also presented the 2003 Channel Four
show The 100 Greatest Scary Moments
He was briefly the subject of scandal in June 2012 when the Times newspaper published an editorial investigation into the extent of tax avoidance (as opposed to the illegal practice of tax evasion) prevalent among people in the public eye in Great Britain.Heckle him at your own risk.
His stand-up shows on DVD are:
- Live (2004)
- Stand Up (2005)
- Comedian (2007)
- In Concert (2008)
- Telling Jokes (2009)
- Making People Laugh (2010)
- Being Funny (2011)
- Laughing and Joking (2013)
Tropes Associated with Jimmy Carr:
- Actually Pretty Funny: While the Moral Guardians were a little upset when he joked that the troops wounded in the War On Terror would be good for the Great Britain team at the Paralympics, the soldiers who were actually asked found it hilarious.
- All Men Are Perverts
- Animal Testing: One example, "Cats have nine lives, which makes them ideal for experimentation."
- Annoying Laugh: "I do realise that when I laugh, it sounds like a seal is being molested."
- Audience Participation: He invites the audience to ask him questions or give suggestions, which sometimes leads to heckling.
- In Being Funny, he encourages the audience to insult him, as he misses the actual heckling he used to get when he was less well known.
- He sometimes receives random put-downs in his live shows and answers them in a variety of ways. Sometimes he just tells them (merrily) to fuck off.
- Auto Erotica: Played with in his "Carr park" joke
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: One of his gags, when either talking to a sexually adventurous woman in the audience or as a reply to an audience member whistling at him.
"Have her washed and brought to my room. I'm joking; don't wash her."
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: Questions this in one of his shows, calling women who think this is important "just shallow."
- Black Comedy Rape
"I don't like the word 'rape'. I prefer the term, 'Struggle Snuggle'."
- Brick Joke: In his Telling Jokes special, he cracks a few jokes about Josef Fritzl, the Austrian man who imprisoned his daughter in a cellar for 24 years and sexually abused her. Fairly typical of his Black Comedy. Later on he talks about how Mc Donald's signs actually say 'restaurant':
"Who doesn't know what Mc Donald's do at this day and age. You'd have to be living underground for 25 fucking years."
- Brother-Sister Incest: When describing a threesome he had with twins (brother and sister)
- But Liquor Is Quicker
- Butt Monkey: Became a constant butt of jokes after his tax avoidance scandal in 2012. The 8 Out of 10 Cats episode covering it is especially merciless and all the more hilarious to watch.
- By "No", I Mean "Yes": "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves I mean other people. And by laugh I mean invade."
- Celebrity Resemblance: The fact that Jimmy looks like tennis star Roger Federer has been mentioned more than a few times.
- Comically Missing the Point: Subverted after his delayed reaction to the audience here:
"People like to smoke a cigarette after sex, but you can't buy cigarettes until you're sixteen, so I have to buy them for both of us. [To audience] You think it's wrong I'm buying a 15 year old cigarettes? [Realizing] You think it's wrong I'm fucking her?"
- Corrupt Church: He's an anti-theist, and usually mentions his Catholic upbringing with a reference to pedophilia.
- Country Matters: Uses the "C-word" at least a few times per show.
- Cringe Comedy
- Domestic Abuse: When describing how stupid the idea is, he says "It's your wife. It's like keying your own car."
- Even Evil Has Standards: On one episode of 8 Out of 10 Cats Matthew Crosby (who used to work as a teacher) talked about invigilating exams. They would stand next to the kid they thought were definitely a virgin or had the unhappiest home life. Jimmy looks scandalised.
Jimmy: Unhappiest home life! Oh no! That is cold! I think that's cold and I'm me.
- I Banged Your Mom: A prime example (near the end of the clip).
- I Love Nuclear Power: "Ten years after the Chernobyl accident, and am I the only one thatís disappointed? Still no superheroes."
- I'm Going to Hell for This: After a shot at Christianity, he remarked "That seems to have split the room into two groups - one group thought that was hilarious, and the other is going to heaven."
- Insistent Terminology: It isn't "porn", it's "gentlemens' special interest literature".
- I Take Offense to That Last One:
"I've got a friend that got into an argument with a barmaid from Sunderland. Long story short, he ended up calling her a 'fat, ugly Geordie cunt.' And she said, 'I'm no a Geordie.'"
- Its Pronounced Tro Pay:
- He read the word "chav" before hearing it, thinking it was pronounced "shav".
- One of his more memorable lines is, "I don't have an accent.note I'm English. This is just how things sound when they're pronounced properly."
- One-Liner: He's said in interviews that he writes about 250 one-liners for each new show.
- Never Heard That One Before: He said on his 2013 DVD "Laughing and Joking" that he's heard audience members ask "Where's Alan?" more times than he cares to count.
- Pedophile Priest: One of his many recurring Acceptable Targets.
- Raised Catholic: He references his upbringing in his stand-up routine, though he is now an anti-theist.
- Red-Headed Stepchild:
"I just saw that Harry Potter
film. A bit unrealistic if you ask me. I mean, a ginger kid with two
- Self-Deprecation: He's not afraid to make jokes about his tax avoidance scandal.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Sophisticated as Hell: Often informs his style, due to his usually posh speaking voice and the fact that he was educated at Cambridge University. See the opening lines from his first DVD at the top of the page.
- Take That, Scrappy!: The Go Compare advert character Gio Compario is so hated, that Jimmy decided to squish Gio's balls, as well as control his commercials (warning, NSFW), hijack a space-themed one and send Gio on a one-way trip.
- Three-Way Sex
- Un Entendre: He tries to make anything mundane said by his girlfriend during sex into one of these.
"The recycling's coming tomorrow"
"The recycling's not the only thing coming tomorrow. Yeah, I'll separate your paper and plastic..."