:Here's your question: "Best Way to Make Friends."
Jon Richardson: You tell a woman that you love her, and she says, "I think we're friends"
British Panel Game
show focusing on statistics, opinion polls, and surveys, hosted by Jimmy Carr
. The title of the program comes from the Whiskas cat food commercial, who's ad campaign claimed that "8 out of 10 cats love Whiskas." Team captains have included Sean Lock
(Series 1 - present), Dave Spikey (series 1–4), Jason Manford
(series 5–10), and Jon Richardson
There were four rounds in the game up to series 8, which was then reduced to three. Since series series 9, a longer version of the show called 8 Out of 10 Cats Uncut
is broadcast in the same week as the standard half-hour episode.Rounds (current):
Retired rounds (Featured in series 1 and the Big Brother specials)
- "What Are You Talking About?": The teams have to try to guess the top three talking points among members of the public that week.
- "Pick of the Polls": The teams are given four pictures to choose from and are given a poll based around that picture.
- "Believe It or Not": The teams are try to guess if a statistic is true or false.
- "And the Winner Is...": The teams try to guess what came #1 in a poll presented to the public.
- "The Poll with a Hole": Each team is given a statistic that is missing a piece of important information, and have to guess what that piece of information is.
- "Face Off": The teams have to guess which famous person came on top with respect to a particular topic.
- "Word Association": The teams view a video illustrating a word and have to guess the top three things people thought of when they heard that word.
- "What's the Poll?": The teams are presented with five famous personalities, picture by picture, and they have to guess what poll they appeared in.
This show contains examples of:
- Cooldown Hug: In the 2011 Christmas episode, after about twenty minutes of inane blathering from Jedward, Greg Davies breaks and starts mimicking Jedward's semi-surreal speech in frustration, descending into pure incoherent gibberish. He gets a consoling hug from team captain Jon Richardson.
- Frothy Mugs of Water: In one of the Christmas episodes, Jimmy gave away a extremely large bottle of whiskey to Sean. Jimmy mentions about replacing it with something fake and Shaun was really shocked it was real. However with Jedward in the studio, forcing any sane man to drink, predictable things happen and the whiskey was taken away.
- Ripped from the Headlines: The first round is a poll of the news stories that the public have been talking about over the last week- as this tends to be more populist than the more politics-orientated Have I Got News for You, if the week sees something that might be in bad taste to joke about (such as the earthquake in Haiti in 2010), then the episode is replaced with a themed special (in that particular case, movies).