Years ago, when great mammoths roamed the earth, and true civilization had yet to be born, a battle took place between the Stoneclaws, a clan of warlike saber-toothed cats
, and the peaceful, unprepared dire wolves
The Stoneclaws won by a landslide. The alpha and beta male wolves were killed, along with almost half of Inaria's forces.
Desperate, widowed and with her young in peril, alpha female Whitewind's only hope is the Blackbloods: Huge, powerful wolves who used to guard Inaria before they were exiled because of a misunderstanding.
It is currently under a reboot.Comic
Not to be confused with Black Blood
, a trope about censoring blood, or Blackblood Brothers
This comic provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Swiftkill and Bloodspill.
- All There in the Manual: There are some things in the character refs that have not been revealed in the comic yet, like Bloodspill will have a child with Blade, for example.
- Art Evolution: Just compare the old version with the new. (In French because I can't find it in English)
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Apparently, the wilds of prehistoric America were filled with bright red, yellow and orange dire wolves.
- Artistic License - Biology:
- Most of the wolves have body proportions that look too thin for gray wolves, let alone dire wolves.
- Also, a real Saber-toothed cat probably would of broken its sabers off if it tried to use them the way the ones in the comic do, but that's just Rule of Cool in action.
- The Blackbloods being able to survive on bats in a oasis in the desert may qualify as this.
- Big "NO!": Swiftkill, once she realizes what she's done.
- Black Blood: Averted, despite the name.
- Cameo: Some of the wolves in the background belong to other people, like the tan wolf with white legs and hair that appears in the background of this page and this page came from this comic
- Cartoony Tail: Of the common, taper off-to-a-point variety.
- Cats Are Mean
- Circling Monologue: Rapier does this to Swiftkill.
- Double Entendre: "Tseck out mer bats."
- Dumb Muscle: Bloodspill is a rare female example.
- Everyone Is Related: The Blackblood wolves are a result of inbreeding. Also, Rapier is the half-sister of Bloodspill and Swiftkill. Her son, Blade, has a child with Bloodspill.
- The Exile: All of the blackbloods.
- Facial Markings: Blackbloods have this. The amount indicates their rank.
- Follow the Leader:
- Some people have accused Kayfedewa of ripping off Balto because her style is similar.
- Some have noticed that the plot resembles The Lion King: Evil relative wants to take over,kills sibling(s) and tricks the hero's friends and family into thinking they are at fault. Hero leaves to lives in a oasis in the middle of a desert, surviving on small, unsustainable-in-real-life prey. The hero gets into a fight with one or more other characters from their home when he/she finds them and tells them their home is in danger. The character returns home without the hero. A different character tries to persuade main character to return.
- While there have been other animal comics before on and off of Deviantart, there has been a notable incline in their popularity and creation since Black-Blood Alliance started.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: The evil wolf is black and white with red eyes, however, this was supposed to be averted later with Bloodspill's son, a mostly black, somewhat evil looking wolf with red eyes.
- Glowing Eyes of Doom: Swiftkill during "the Fury", see below.
- Infant Immortality: Subverted.
- Just Between You and Me: Rapier does this to Swiftkill.
- Licensed Game: Currently in development.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Subtle example: The moth in issue 2 is a mix of several different moth species.
- Mook Chivalry: The wolves with Rapier take Swiftkill on one by one, instead of doing the sensible thing and ganging up on her.
- Obviously Evil: Rapier.
- Panthera Awesome: The saber-toothed cats.
- Parental Abandonment
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Rapier has these.
- Scenery Porn
- Take a Third Option: Played in a far darker way then usual. In an attempt to remove all her rivals for the Inarian throne, Rapier tries to kill her two younger siblings. They scatter in different directions, forcing Swiftkill to chose which pup to save. Swiftkill goes into "The Fury" and mauls Rapier, and for a moment it looks like she took a third option and saved both pups. In her rage, she unintentionally killed BOTH pups herself.
- Talking Animal
- Unfortunate Names: It's hard for some people to read Rapier's name as anything other than rape-er.
- Unstoppable Rage: "The Fury", an inherent flaw of the Blackbloods.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Rapier pulls one of these.
- You No Take Candle: The birds. Strangely, Bloodspill starts speaking like that, too, when she is hunting lizards with Swiftkill.