- Ax-Crazy: At his worst. He is willing to let the world burn to find his sister's killer.
- Bishounen: His usual expressions tends to detract from it, but he's quite obviously designed to be one.
- Brother–Sister Incest: Was in love with Aika, although he didn't realize it. To be fair, they weren't actually related.
- Childhood Friends: With Yoshino
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Towards Aika
- Decoy Protagonist: While Mahiro remains an important character through out the series, its Yoshino who takes center stage as The Protagonist. Which is funny since you realize that he's based of Hamlet and Yoshino's based on Horatio.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Again, with Yoshino.
- He Who Fights Monsters: To the point its Lampshaded. Mahiro makes it very clear as he holds Samon at gunpoint that he doesn't care about what happens to the world, he just want to get his revenge on Aika's killer. He even readily abandons Hakaze when it seems she's no longer of use to him.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Learning Aika was Yoshino´s girlfriend hit him quite hard mentally.
- Jerk Ass: Has no problem with abandoning Hakaze and joining Samon when it seems that she can't help find Aika's killer.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He´s very worried about Yoshino and even after claiming that he doesn't really care about him helping or not, he goes out of his way to "protect" (he wasn't really in danger) Yoshino from the army.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Was overly protective and possessive of Aika, even prohibiting her from dating.
- Likes Older Women: Self admitted. In a flashback, he introduces Yoshino to rich college girls and they have a double date.
- Nominal Hero: Even his best friend, who isn't exactly a role model himself, thinks he's a terrible human being. He does Pet the Dog occasionally, but his actions are far more suitable to a villain than the hero of the story.
- Pet the Dog: Saved a young girl off screen, because she reminded him of Aika.
- Slasher Smile: Tends to show up when referencing his unfettered status.
- Smarter Than You Look: Prefers to use force over cunning, but is more intelligent than he seems.
- The Unfettered: He will find Aika's killer, no matter the cost.
- Would Hit a Girl: Had no problem face stomping Evangeline when they first met.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Far more cunning, dangerous and ruthless than he seems. Aika claimed this to be the reason she didn't like him.
- Amateur Sleuth: In the filler fourth episode, he's able to figure out who, how, and why Mahiro was run over. This happens in grade school.
- Ambiguously Evil: From the Kusaribe clan's point of view, when they suspect him to be the Magician of Exodus.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He´s probably the nicest guy in the series, but nearly (he teleports away in the last second with a talisman) piledrives Evangeline into the ground from a school´s roof early on to show that he has absolutely no qualms about killing people if he´s in danger.
- Bishounen: Even more so than Mahiro, given his hair clips and earrings.
- Chess Master: Manages to get Mahiro and Hakaze back on the same side with intense debating.
- Chick Magnet: Dated Aika behind Mahiro's back and later Hakaze falls for him. In a flashback from Valentine´s Day, his entire schoolbag was filled to the brim with chocolates from girls at his school.
- Childhood Friends: With Mahiro.
- Death Glare / Dull Eyes of Unhappiness / Wide Eyes and Shrunken Irises Sweet mother of all that is holy...◊
- Despair Event Horizon: As it turns out, he crossed it even before the series began with Aika´s death and apparently went into an Acute Stress Reaction (commonly known as Shock) after he found out.
- Guile Hero: Prefers wits to violence. How he restores Hakaze's fighting spirit after she learns that she is already dead being a crowning example.
- Hair Decorations: Yoshino has his hair pinned up on the side with four hair clips, clipped on as a pair of X's. Flashbacks imply it was Aika who thought up this hairstyle for him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Again, with Mahiro.
- Lack of Empathy: Aika's death seems to have left him with a nice case of one, although it's unclear if he had always been that way. Anyhow, don't expect him to give a crap about you if you're not one of his close friends.
- Mangst: He grieves for Aika mainly through reminiscing with old pictures and text messages from her on his phone. He does a very good job of hiding what he's looking at from everyone around him.
- Manipulative Bastard: Only when he´s battling wits with Samon.
- Maybe Ever After: The anime ends with he and Hakaze seemingly taking a step towards each other.
- Nerves of Steel: Even when face to face with Samon, a powerful magician, he doesn't loose his cool.
- Oblivious to Love: Completely oblivious to Hakaze´s feelings for him until she has to spell it out for him.
- Justfied in that he still loves Aika even though she's dead. He's likely not focusing on what Hakaze says or does because he hasn't moved on from Aika's death.
- The Protagonist: It's he who takes it upon himself to ensure that the ending is not a tragedy in order to honor Aika's memory.
- Secret Relationship: With Aika.
- Stepford Smiler: Not as obvious as most examples, but under that easy going facade is a boy crying the loss of his girlfriend.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: After Hakaze confronts him about Aika's death. It's... scary.
Voiced by: Miyuki SawashiroThe leader of the Kusaribe Clan who was betrayed by her aide Samon and left on a deserted island in a barrel. Manages to contact Mahiro with the aid of her magic. Current Magician of Genesis.
- The Ace: There's a reason Samon had to strand her on a completely hidden deserted island where no significant magic could be used.
- Barrier Maiden: If the other Kusaribe family members are correct, then fully awakening the Tree of Beginnings will destroy the world.
- Barrier Warrior: Like all Kusaribe mages, she can create force fields, but she can shape and move them to a greater extent than others.
- Born Lucky: No matter what's thrown at her, the Tree of Genesis will protect her and work things to her favor. This is most blatant when a missile lands on the island when she was struggling to find the offering to travel through time.
- Brought Down to Normal: Loses her magic along with the rest of the Kusaribe clan after the destruction of the Tree of Genesis.
- The Chosen One: Of Tree of Genesis.
- Combat Tentacles: She can shape barriers into them.
- Dead All Along: She recovered.
- Despair Event Horizon: Came dangerously close to crossing it, when she realized that she was already dead.
- Expy: Of Prospero. She's a magician who was betrayed and stranded on an island by a relative.
- Fiery Red Head
- Friend to All Children: In the anime at least.
- Ms. Fanservice: Spends half the show in rags from being trapped on an island.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Casually destroyed 2/3rds of a mountain in a flashback. Her offering to make it work? A tooth filling.
- Physical God: Being the Princess of Genesis, she´s the most powerful mage in the world. If she thinks of something, it has a very high chance of happening, to the point where the world will bend logic to make it happen.
- Pride: Being the Magician of Genesis, she is used to having things go her way and rarely even considers that she might be wrong.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She is self-admittedly completely and totally in love with Yoshino.
- Smug Super: Nicer than most examples, but doesn't hesitate to remind people that she is the worlds most powerful magician and can be quite arrogant because of it.
- Tsundere: Extremely Dere towards Yoshino, Tsun to everyone else.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to resurrect the Tree of Genesis, to fix the worlds problems. After seeing what the Tree could do half awakened, she starts to have doubts.
- World's Strongest Woman: Being the Magician of Genesis, she is for all intents and purposes invincible.
Voiced by: Kana HanazawaMahiro's younger sister who was killed before the start of the series. We learn more about her during flashbacks.
- Actor Allusion: Aika turns out to have extremely sharp deductive skills and is able to come to a number of accurate conclusions based on a handful of evidence she overhears. She even muses if she should call herself a detective. At the same time this show was airing, Kana Hanazawa was voicing a detective in another anime.
- All of the Other Reindeer: The knowledge about the world she gained from being the Mage of Exodus made others wary of her, and only Mahiro and Yoshino treated her like a normal girl.
- Berserk Button: She's calm almost all the time but make Yoshino cry and she will snap.
- BFS: She creates a 6-meter long Flaming Sword from a toothpick to use against Hakaze
- Bookworm: Very fond of reading and quoting Shakespeare.
- The Chosen One: Turns out she was the former Mage of Exodus.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Considers the concept of "human shaved ice" when Yoshino says he might've become friends with a girl from Aika's class who wanted to meet him.
- Dual Wielding: Summons two blades for her fight with Hakaze.
- Face Death with Dignity: After learning the facts from Hakaze, willingly kills herself.
- Hime Cut: Mahiro remarks on her delicate appearance at least once.
- Irony: As the Mage of Exodus she is far more logical when it comes to what must be done than even Hakaze.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Her reason for killing herself. So that both Yoshino and Mahiro will have a future.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's got a Sugar-and-Ice Personality sure but she genuinely loved and cared for Yoshino and Mahiro.Her death was even for their sake.
- Kuudere: She appeared rather cold and harsh towards Yoshino but was secretly dating him.
- The Lost Lenore: To Yoshino and Mahiro (the latter on a subconscious level).
- Physical God: Even more powerful than Hakaze since she doesn't have to make offerings to the Tree of Genesis.
- Posthumous Character: Important to the plot, but died a year prior to the start of it.
- Purple Eyes
- Rebuilt Pedestal: While YMMW on whether she even had to do this, the reveal of how she died fixes any issue Mahiro and Yoshino would of had and allows them both to move on.
- The Reveal: She introduces herself to Hakaze as the true Mage of Exodus.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Played with. She's not above teasing to show her panties to Yoshino, or taking off her clothes as a special bonus for Mahiro and Yoshino in the video message she left for them after her death.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality
- Thanatos Gambit: After hearing about what will eventually happen from Hakaze she kills herself to ensure the Stable Time Loop happens.
Voiced by: Rikiya KoyamaHakaze's former aide who usurped her position as leader of the Kusaribe clan with the intention of awakening the Tree of Exodus to prevent the advent of the Tree of Genesis.
- Anti-Villain: While he's initially made out to be an antagonist, he was only doing what he and the other clan members felt was right.
- Biseinen: Especially after his Heel–Face Turn where his expressions are softer, and with his hair up.
- Character Tics: Slamming his sword into the ground.
- The Comically Serious
- Heel–Face Turn: After the Tree of Genesis wreaks havoc, he starts working with his former enemies. An interesting case, while he did pull the turn, the protagonists agree and later decided to join him in defeating the Tree of Genesis.
- Man in White: Always wears a white suit prior to the awakening of the Tree of Genesis.
- Manipulative Bastard: Samon later lampshades this when he says that he can't help but feel like the bad guy in their story. Then there's a panel depicting him as a SuperDeformed demon with his followers as his little minions.
- Necessarily Evil: Lets thousands to be infected with the Black Iron syndrome in order to save billions.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Despite his methods, he treats his underlings well, wants to avoid unnecessary death and even orders that Mahiro and Yoshino are to be captured alive.
- Rapunzel Hair: Possibly has the longest hair in the series.
- The Stoic: Always calm and dignified. Until he runs into Yoshino.
- Smug Snake
- Thinking Tic: That pink swirly background whenever he´s deep in thought.
- Trauma Conga Line: Episodes 9 to 12 shatter his eternal confidence completely.
- Villainous Breakdown: Gets repeatedly outwitted by Yoshino to the point where he looks like he´ll die of stress by the end of their talk.
- Villain Has a Point: After seeing what the Tree of Genesis would do when just partially awakened, it's hard to say, he wasn't completely wrong.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist
Voiced by: Nana MizukiA mercenary who is investigating Mahiro and his connection to Hakaze.
- Action Girl: She does quite well in a few fights, but sadly tends to be on the losing end a lot.
- Badass Normal: Evangeline may not be a magician, or have that much experience with magic, but her vastly superior battle experience means that with the help of just a few talismans, she can still fight on par with fully trained magicians.
- Boobs of Steel: She's a good fighter and naturally has the biggest breasts of the cast. Justfied in that shes the oldest female character in the show.
- Christmas Cake: Even announced it upon meeting Yoshino that's she's 28 and single. Unlike most examples, she seems a bit proud of the fact.
- In-Series Nickname: Tells people to call her Fraulein Yamamoto.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Multi-Ethnic Name
- Secret Keeper: The first person to figure out that Yoshino was dating Aika.
- Ship Tease: Her and Natsumura are, strangely enough, always together in their scenes, though she ends up marrying Samon in the distant future.
Voiced by: Junichi SuwabeSamon's right hand and one of the best fighters of the Kusaribe Clan.
- Barrier Warrior: He puts a force field around his trident to enhance its power.
- Blade on a Stick: Natsumura's Weapon of Choice.
- Boring, but Practical: Since the Kusaribe Clan doesn't have offense magic, he has to use the basic defensive magic and Flash Step to fight. Taken even further when he defeats the military army armed with tanks, by simply sacrificing them to the Tree.
- The Comically Serious
- The Dragon: To Samon.
- Nice Hat: Part of his attire is a classical fedora.
- One-Man Army: Takes on the whole military attack alone when the Tree of Exodus was in danger.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Uses a trident in combat.
- Ship Tease: Him and Evangeline are always strangely together in their scenes.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Weak, but Skilled: According to Hakaze, he isn't a very powerful magician, but manages to still be one of the most dangerous characters.
- The Worf Effect: Got his ass handed to him just to show how tough Junichirou is. This is justified since Junichirou's fighting style is meant to do this.
Voiced by: Hirofumi NojimaA member of the Kusaribe clan that can't use magic. He left to avoid conflict because he dislikes fighting. One of the few people Hakaze trusts.
- Badass Normal: Despite having no magical power, he can hold his own against skilled mages such as Natsumura.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Hakaze, he was the only person who treated her as a normal person.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Despite his fixation of big breasts, he's still a good friend to Hakaze and looks out for her well being.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Junichirou. He gives off the image of an easygoing, normal college student and claims to be a True Neutral, but also has his own agenda, seems to know a lot more about what's going on than the main characters, and is a potent Mage Killer.
- Curbstomp Battle: Basically how his fighting style works. To elaborate most mages need a second to make a offering to use magic. Junichirou fights by attacking as soon as they even attempt to do so.
- First Love: Might have been one to Hakaze.
- Fetish: Almost all of his jokes and punchlines involve boobs.
- I Know Kung-Fu: He specifies in the manga that he's a practitioner of both Judo and Aikido when dealing with Natsumura.
- Mage Killer: Because he has no magic, he trained specifically to defend himself against them.
- The Slacker: Despite his skill and knowledge, he wishes to have nothing to do with the whole Tree fiasco.
- Weak, but Skilled: Has no magic, just enough martial arts skills to trash Natsumura.
Voiced by: Yuuki KajiA wimpy construction worker and the current Magician of Exodus.
- Black Knight: His badass armor attire when hes going around destroying parts of the Tree of Genesis with his Exodus magic. Mostly a cover-up to hide his real identity from the public.
- Blue with Shock: He does this a lot.
- Boxing Lessons for Superman: Gets trained in close combat by Junichiro and Mahiro.
- Butt-Monkey: One of the most powerful people in the world and still treated as a complete joke.
- The Chosen One: He's the Magician of Exodus.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Deduced that Aika was Yoshino´s boyfriend in a matter of minutes.
- Classical Anti-Hero
- Foil: To Hakaze. She's the experienced and confident Mage of Genesis, he's the inexperienced and weak willed current Magician of Exodus.
- Nice Guy: Almost always polite and level headed, if somewhat timid.
- Shrinking Violet: Hes rather timid.
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head: Being the current Magician of Exodus and all.
- Straight Man: At times.
- Super Loser: Living proof that having super powers don't make you automatically cool.
- Took a Level in Badass: Starts off with no experience as a fighter and ends the series with the ability to fight Junichiro on equal footing.
- Walking Spoiler: Almost his entire role in the story is spoiler-y.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki YoshinoOne of Samon Kusaribe's subordinates. His task was to oversee the revival of the Tree of Exodus.
- Big "WHAT?!": His reaction to Evangeline's alien theory. Bonus effect to almost losing control of the car he was driving at the time.
- Butt-Monkey: Heavy implication that Hakaze constantly teased him when they were young. It makes you wonder why he sided with Samon in the first place...
- The Driver: What his status has been reduced to after the Tree of Genesis attack.
- Facial Markings: An arrow shaped tattoo down his right eye.
- High Priest: His role during the Exodus summoning.
- Satellite Character: Really is only charaterized by his loyalty to Samon.
Voiced by: Shintaro AsanumaA high-ranking government official and Evangeline's superior. He was appointed to dealing with the threat of the Tree of Exodus due to his knowledge of magic and ancestral background in the Kusaribe Clan.After billions of lives were lost at the hand of the Tree of Genesis, he forms an alliance with Samon to discover the true logic of the Trees.
- The Atoner
- Enemy Mine: After the Tree of Genesis has a partial awakening and kills billions, he teams up with Samon to find out the truth about the Trees.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: If the army had not attacked the Kusaribe clan, they might have been successful in sealing the Tree of Beginnings and saving billions.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Self explanatory.
Tree of Genesis
A giant tree that the Kusaribe clan worships and grants them magic. Samon is trying to seal it, believing its full awakening would destroy the world.
- Big Bad
- Blue and Orange Morality
- Eldritch Abomination
- Eternal Recurrence: Every time humans advance to a certain point the Tree of Genesis resets it all back to scratch.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Its branches are compared to dragons or serpents.
- Order Versus Chaos: The Order to Exodus Chaos.
- Utopia Justifies the Means: It creates a world without war or crime by killing billions of people.
Tree of Exodus
Another tree that opposes the Tree of Genesis.
- BFS: The form it takes to slay the Tree of Genesis.
- Blue and Orange Morality
- Eldritch Abomination
- Foreshadowing: Samon calls it the "Sword of Hope". In the Final Battle, it turns out to be exactly that.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Order Versus Chaos: The Chaos to Genesis Order.