Characters / Zetsuen no Tempest
A boy whose family was killed one year before the series' start, including his father, mother and step-sister Aika. In exchange for help to find the culprit behind the murder, Mahiro agrees with Hakaze's plan to stop the resurrection of the Tree of Exodus with Yoshino's help.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Again, with Yoshino.
- He Who Fights Monsters: To the point its Lampshaded. Mahiro makes it very clear as he holds Samon at gunpoint that he doesn't care about what happens to the world, he just want to get his revenge on Aika's killer. He even readily abandons Hakaze when it seems she's no longer of use to him.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Learning Aika was Yoshino´s girlfriend hit him quite hard mentally.
- Jerk Ass: Has no problem with abandoning Hakaze and joining Samon when it seems that she can't help find Aika's killer.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He´s very worried about Yoshino and even after claiming that he doesn't really care about him helping or not, he goes out of his way to "protect" (he wasn't really in danger) Yoshino from the army.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Was overly protective and possessive of Aika, even prohibiting her from dating.
- Likes Older Women: Self admitted. In a flashback, he introduces Yoshino to rich college girls and they have a double date.
- Nominal Hero: Even his best friend, who isn't exactly a role model himself, thinks he's a terrible human being. He does Pet the Dog occasionally, but his actions are far more suitable to a villain than the hero of the story.
- Pet the Dog: Saved a young girl off screen, because she reminded him of Aika.
- Slasher Smile: Tends to show up when referencing his unfettered status.
- Smarter Than You Look: Prefers to use force over cunning, but is more intelligent than he seems.
- The Unfettered: He will find Aika's killer, no matter the cost.
- Would Hit a Girl: Had no problem face stomping Evangeline when they first met.
Mahiro's best friend, who joins him on his quest.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Far more cunning, dangerous and ruthless than he seems. Aika claimed this to be the reason she didn't like him.
- Amateur Sleuth: In the filler fourth episode, he's able to figure out who, how, and why Mahiro was run over. This happens in grade school.
- Ambiguously Evil: From the Kusaribe clan's point of view, when they suspect him to be the Magician of Exodus.
- Badass: Maybe even more so than Mahiro, but in an intellectual way.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He´s probably the nicest guy in the series, but nearly (he teleports away in the last second with a talisman) piledrives Evangeline into the ground from a school´s roof early on to show that he has absolutely no qualms about killing people if he´s in danger.
- Bishounen: Even more so than Mahiro, given his hair clips and earrings.
- Chess Master: Manages to get Mahiro and Hakaze back on the same side with intense debating.
- Guile Hero: Prefers wits to violence. How he restores Hakaze's fighting spirit after she learns that she is already dead being a crowning example.
- Hair Decorations: Yoshino has his hair pinned up on the side with four hair clips, clipped on as a pair of X's. Flashbacks imply it was Aika who thought up this hairstyle for him.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Again, with Mahiro.
- Lack of Empathy: Aika's death seems to have left him with a nice case of one, although it's unclear if he had always been that way. Anyhow, don't expect him to give a crap about you if you're not one of his close friends.
- Mangst: He grieves for Aika mainly through reminiscing with old pictures and text messages from her on his phone. He does a very good job of hiding what he's looking at from everyone around him.
- Manipulative Bastard: Only when he´s battling wits with Samon.
- Maybe Ever After: The anime ends with he and Hakaze seemingly taking a step towards each other.
- Nerves of Steel: Even when face to face with Samon, a powerful magician, he doesn't loose his cool.
- Oblivious to Love: Completely oblivious to Hakaze´s feelings for him until she has to spell it out for him.
- Justfied in that he still loves Aika even though she's dead. He's likely not focusing on what Hakaze says or does because he hasn't moved on from Aika's death.
- The Protagonist: It's he who takes it upon himself to ensure that the ending is not a tragedy in order to honor Aika's memory.
- Secret Relationship: With Aika.
- Stepford Smiler: Not as obvious as most examples, but under that easy going facade is a boy crying the loss of his girlfriend.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: After Hakaze confronts him about Aika's death. It's... scary.
The leader of the Kusaribe Clan who was betrayed by her aide Samon and left on a deserted island in a barrel. Manages to contact Mahiro with the aid of her magic. Current Magician of Genesis.
- The Ace: There's a reason Samon had to strand her on a completely hidden deserted island where no significant magic could be used.
- Badass: Hakaze takes it to an extreme: When Samon ticked her off once, she casually took out a good 3/5ths of a mountain and scared him to tears.
- Barrier Maiden: If the other Kusaribe family members are correct, then fully awakening the Tree of Beginnings will destroy the world.
- Barrier Warrior: Like all Kusaribe mages, she can create force fields, but she can shape and move them to a greater extent than others.
- Born Lucky: No matter what's thrown at her, the Tree of Genesis will protect her and work things to her favor. This is most blatant when a missile lands on the island when she was struggling to find the offering to travel through time.
- Brought Down to Normal: Loses her magic along with the rest of the Kusaribe clan after the destruction of the Tree of Genesis.
- The Chosen One: Of Tree of Genesis.
- Combat Tentacles: She can shape barriers into them.
- Dead All Along: She recovered.
- Despair Event Horizon: Came dangerously close to crossing it, when she realized that she was already dead.
- Expy: Of Prospero. She's a magician who was betrayed and stranded on an island by a relative.
- Fiery Red Head
- Friend to All Children: In the anime at least.
- Ms. Fanservice: Spends half the show in rags from being trapped on an island.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Casually destroyed 2/3rds of a mountain in a flashback. Her offering to make it work? A tooth filling.
- Physical God: Being the Princess of Genesis, she´s the most powerful mage in the world. If she thinks of something, it has a very high chance of happening, to the point where the world will bend logic to make it happen.
- Pride: Being the Magician of Genesis, she is used to having things go her way and rarely even considers that she might be wrong.
- Smitten Teenage Girl: She is self-admittedly completely and totally in love with Yoshino.
- Smug Super: Nicer than most examples, but doesn't hesitate to remind people that she is the worlds most powerful magician and can be quite arrogant because of it.
- Tsundere: Extremely Dere towards Yoshino, Tsun to everyone else.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Wants to resurrect the Tree of Genesis, to fix the worlds problems. After seeing what the Tree could do half awakened, she starts to have doubts.
- World's Strongest Woman: Being the Magician of Genesis, she is for all intents and purposes invincible.
Mahiro's younger sister who was killed before the start of the series. We learn more about her during flashbacks
- Actor Allusion: Aika turns out to have extremely sharp deductive skills and is able to come to a number of accurate conclusions based on a handful of evidence she overhears. She even muses if she should call herself a detective. At the same time this show was airing, Kana Hanazawa was voicing a detective in another anime.
- All of the Other Reindeer: The knowledge about the world she gained from being the Mage of Exodus made others wary of her, and only Mahiro and Yoshino treated her like a normal girl.
- Berserk Button: She's calm almost all the time but make Yoshino cry and she will snap.
- BFS: She creates a 6-meter long Flaming Sword from a toothpick to use against Hakaze
- Bookworm: Very fond of reading and quoting Shakespeare.
- The Chosen One: Turns out she was the former Mage of Exodus.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Considers the concept of "human shaved ice" when Yoshino says he might've become friends with a girl from Aika's class who wanted to meet him.
- Dual Wielding: Summons two blades for her fight with Hakaze.
- Face Death with Dignity: After learning the facts from Hakaze, willingly kills herself.
- Hime Cut: Mahiro remarks on her delicate appearance at least once.
- Irony: As the Mage of Exodus she is far more logical when it comes to what must be done than even Hakaze.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Her reason for killing herself. So that both Yoshino and Mahiro will have a future.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She's got a Sugar and Ice Personality sure but she genuinely loved and cared for Yoshino and Mahiro.Her death was even for their sake.
- Kuudere: She appeared rather cold and harsh towards Yoshino but was secretly dating him.
- The Lost Lenore: To Yoshino and Mahiro (the latter on a subconscious level).
- Physical God: Even more powerful than Hakaze since she doesn't have to make offerings to the Tree of Genesis.
- Posthumous Character: Important to the plot, but died a year prior to the start of it.
- Purple Eyes
- Rebuilt Pedestal: While YMMW on whether she even had to do this, the reveal of how she died fixes any issue Mahiro and Yoshino would of had and allows them both to move on.
- The Reveal: She introduces herself to Hakaze as the true Mage of Exodus.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Played with. She's not above teasing to show her panties to Yoshino, or taking off her clothes as a special bonus for Mahiro and Yoshino in the video message she left for them after her death.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Thanatos Gambit: After hearing about what will eventually happen from Hakaze she kills herself to ensure the Stable Time Loop happens.
Hakaze's former aide who usurped her position as leader of the Kusaribe clan with the intention of awakening the Tree of Exodus to prevent the advent of the Tree of Genesis.
A mercenary who is investigating Mahiro and his connection to Hakaze.
- Action Girl: She does quite well in a few fights, but sadly tends to be on the losing end a lot.
- Badass Normal: Evangeline may not be a magician, or have that much experience with magic, but her vastly superior battle experience means that with the help of just a few talismans, she can still fight on par with fully trained magicians.
- Boobs of Steel: She's a good fighter and naturally has the biggest breasts of the cast. Justfied in that shes the oldest female character in the show.
- Christmas Cake: Even announced it upon meeting Yoshino that's she's 28 and single. Unlike most examples, she seems a bit proud of the fact.
- In-Series Nickname: Tells people to call her Fraulein Yamamoto.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Multi-Ethnic Name
- Secret Keeper: The first person to figure out that Yoshino was dating Aika.
- Ship Tease: Her and Natsumura are always strangely together in their scenes.
- Except she married Samon in the manga. Take that!
Samon's right hand and one of the best fighters of the Kusaribe Clan.
- Badass: Though he tends to get Worfed a lot, the fact that Natsumura nearly took out an entire military invasion force all on his own with his magic definitely qualifies him for this trope.
- Bad Ass Long Coat
- Barrier Warrior: He puts a force field around his trident to enhance its power.
- Blade on a Stick: Natsumura's Weapon of Choice.
- Boring but Practical: Since the Kusaribe Clan doesn't have offense magic, he has to use the basic defensive magic and Flash Step to fight. Taken even further when he defeats the military army armed with tanks, by simply sacrificing them to the Tree.
- The Comically Serious
- The Dragon: To Samon.
- Nice Hat: Part of his attire is a classical fedora.
- One-Man Army: Takes on the whole military attack alone when the Tree of Exodus was in danger.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Uses a trident in combat.
- Ship Tease: Him and Evangeline are always strangely together in their scenes.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Weak, but Skilled: According to Hakaze, he isn't a very powerful magician, but manages to still be one of the most dangerous characters.
- The Worf Effect: Got his ass handed to him just to show how tough Junichirou is. This is justified since Junichirou's fighting style is meant to do this.
A member of the Kusaribe clan that can't use magic. He left to avoid conflict because he dislikes fighting. One of the few people Hakaze trusts.
- Badass Normal: Despite having no magical power, he can hold his own against skilled mages such as Natsumura.
- Big Brother Mentor: To Hakaze, he was the only person who treated her as a normal person.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Despite his fixation of big breasts, he's still a good friend to Hakaze and looks out for her well being.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Junichirou. He gives off the image of an easygoing, normal college student and claims to be a True Neutral, but also has his own agenda, seems to know a lot more about what's going on than the main characters, and is a potent Mage Killer.
- Curbstomp Battle: Basically how his fighting style works. To elaborate most mages need a second to make a offering to use magic. Junichirou fights by attacking as soon as they even attempt to do so.
- First Love: Might have been one to Hakaze.
- Fetish: Almost all of his jokes and punchlines involve boobs.
- I Know Kung-Fu: He specifies in the manga that he's a practitioner of both Judo and Aikido when dealing with Natsumura.
- Mage Killer: Because he has no magic, he trained specifically to defend himself against them.
- The Slacker: Despite his skill and knowledge, he wishes to have nothing to do with the whole Tree fiasco.
- Weak, but Skilled: Has no magic, just enough martial arts skills to trash Natsumura.
A wimpy construction worker and the current Magician of Exodus.
One of Samon Kusaribe's subordinates. His task was to oversee the revival of the Tree of Exodus.
- Big "WHAT?!": His reaction to Evangeline's alien theory. Bonus effect to almost losing control of the car he was driving at the time.
- Butt Monkey: Heavy implication that Hakaze constantly teased him when they were young. It makes you wonder why he sided with Samon in the first place...
- The Driver: What his status has been reduced to after the Tree of Genesis attack.
- Facial Markings: An arrow shaped tattoo down his right eye.
- High Priest: His role during the Exodus summoning.
- Satellite Character: Really is only charaterized by his loyalty to Samon.
A high-ranking government official and Evangeline's superior. He was appointed to dealing with the threat of the Tree of Exodus due to his knowledge of magic and ancestral background in the Kusaribe Clan.After billions of lives were lost at the hand of the Tree of Genesis, he forms an alliance with Samon to discover the true logic of the Trees.
Tree of Genesis
A giant tree that the Kusaribe clan worships and grants them magic. Samon is trying to seal it, believing its full awakening would destroy the world.
Tree of Exodus
Another tree that opposes the Tree of Genesis.