open/close all folders
"Eight astronauts strapped to the back of a bomb. My bomb. Welcome to the Icarus Two."
- Alone with the Psycho: When he discovers that Pinbacker is alive (and thoroughly insane). He struggles against Pinbacker later in the film.
- Badass Bookworm: He is very smart and manages to last longer than any of the other characters, even surviving several encounters with Pinbacker.
- David Versus Goliath: Against Pinbacker.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments.
- Geek Physiques: He's quite toned and attractive for a scientist.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He delivers the Icarus 2's payload, restarts the sun, and saves humanity at the cost of his life.
- Hot Scientist: Come on, it's Cillian Murphy.
- Not So Stoic: Despite being one of the most calm and composed survivors, he starts to snap a little as shit hits the fan.
- Science Hero: Is a scientist and the protagonist of the film.
- Smart People Play Chess: Displaying his intelligence.
- Took a Level in Badass: By the end of the film he's gone up against Pinbacker and saved all of humanity.
"There is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story!"
"Only dream I ever have…is it the surface of the sun? Every time I shut my eyes…it's always the same."
"…total light envelops you. It becomes you. It's very strange...I recommend it."
Played By: Cliff Curtis
- Bald of Awesome: Is bald and very brave.
- Driven to Suicide: Commits suicide by overexposure to the sun.
- Heroic Sacrifice Stays behind on Icarus I (which has separated from the other ship) to make sure that Capa, Mace, and Harvey get back safely. After doing this he commits suicide.
- Face Death with Dignity: Faces his imminent demise with no fear.
- Not So Different: From Pinbacker. Both are enamored with intense sunlight.
- Opaque Lenses: What he wears.
- Sanity Slippage: At the start of the film, he's enamored with the sun and spends time basking in sunlight. As the movie progresses, his fixation on the sun leads him to spend more time bathing in sunlight, so much so that his face is badly sunburned.
- The Shrink: He serves as a mental health professional for the Icarus 2 crew.
- Space Madness: Albeit a mild version.
Played By: Troy Garity
- Asshole Victim: It's hard to feel sorry for such a cowardly prick.
- Butt Monkey: Doesn't get much respect from his men, though this is justified.
- Dirty Coward: Despite being the captain, he only cares about self-preservation and refuses to stay behind on Icarus I to get the others back safely.
- It's All About Me: Harvey only cares about himself, and he tries to act like he's the victim when his crew get justifiably disgusted by his behavior.
- Literally Shattered Lives: Gets frozen in space after missing the airlock, and his corpse is disintegrated.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Harvey misses the hole then freezes out there in seconds, his frozen corpse hitting an antenna, thus breaking his arm before flying outside the shield, reduced to dust in seconds by the Sun.
- You Are in Command Now: Previously the second in command, he becomes captain after Kaneda dies.
Played By: Benedict Wong
- Asian and Nerdy: He's of Asian ancestry, and knowledgeable enough about science to navigate the Icarus 2.
- Despair Event Horizon: After he unwittingly jeopardizes the mission, Trey succumbs to depression and is put on suicide watch.
- Driven to Suicide: His crewmates find him in the medical ward with his wrists cut. While his death appears to be a suicide, Word of God states that Pinbacker did it.
- It's All My Fault: When he resets Icarus 2's new course, he forgets to conduct calculations for the shields, which leaves the ship vulnerable to the sun's intense heat and jeopardizes the mission. He's horrified when he realizes his mistake.
- Good with Numbers: As stated by himself.
- Nice Guy: He is harmless and is consumed by self-loathing when his mistake gets Kaneda killed.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: See It's All My Fault.
- The Smart Guy: Although his one crucial mistake ends up screwing over the team.
- Teen Genius: In his backstory.
"For seven years I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven."
- Amoral Afrikaner: Hard to place because we don't really get a look at him, but Word of God says he's South African. It's easier to hear the accent in his recordings. Also an interesting example in that we have no idea what kind of person he was before he lost his marbles.
- Ax-Crazy: The Pinbacker that the Icarus 2 crew encounters is delusional and murderous.
- Bald of Evil: Likely burned off, as the man has been exposed to too much sunlight due to his madness.
- Big Bad: Sabotaged his mission, sabotaging the second Icarus as well.
- Body Horror: Because of his prolonged exposure to sunlight, he's covered in third degree burns. Also, during his fight with Capa and Cassie at the end of the film, Cassie grabs his arm, and his skin and flesh slough off in her hand.
- Egocentrically Religious
Capa: My God. Pinbacker.
Pinbacker: Not your God. Mine!
- Evil Sounds Deep: Baritone.
- The Fatalist: After his sanity slippage, he concludes that efforts to save humanity are futile.
Pinbacker: All our science, all our hopes, our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return. When he chooses for us to die, it is not our place to challenge God.
- Full-Frontal Assault: He doesn't wear clothing, showing off his burns and wounds.
- The Fundamentalist: Having lost his mind, Pinbacker believes that he can talk to God and that he's carrying out God's will by sabotaging efforts to restart the sun.
- Genre Shift: He represents the movie's shift from hard-ish Sci-Fi with No Antagonist to a borderline slasher flick.
- Implacable Man: He's convinced that God wants humanity to die so that they can ascend to heaven. He meets any attempt to thwart this with violence, and he cannot be reasoned with or cowed.
- Made of Iron: There's no reason he's pretty much completely indestructible. He just is. Despite already being covered in third-degree burns.
- Not Quite Dead: Pinbacker was believed to have died along with the crew of the Icarus 1. However, he's very much alive and determined to thwart the Icarus 2 mission.
- Religious Bruiser: He's a formidable opponent who believes that he's carrying out the will of God.
- Sanity Slippage: Pinbacker lost his sanity while leading the crew of the Icarus 1.
- Satanic Archetype: He acts as an adversary to humanity on God's behalf (or so he believes in his madness), bringing to mind Satan's traditional role in the Hebrew Bible as the Adversary. When Capa meets him face-to-face, he's bathed in light, evoking Lucifer as an angel of light.
- Space Madness: During Icarus 1's journey, he went insane, presumably from the stresses of the mission.
- Spanner in the Works: After he goes insane, he sabotages the Icarus 1 mission and creates enormous problems for the Icarus 2 mission.
- Straw Nihilist: In his lunacy, he concludes that humanity's efforts to restart the sun are in vain, and that humans are inconsequential "dust" before God.