open/close all folders
Played By: Cillian Murphy
- Alone with the Psycho: When he discovers that Pinbacker is alive (and thoroughly insane). He struggles against Pinbacker later in the film.
- Badass Bookworm: He is very smart and manages to last longer than any of the other characters, even surviving several encounters with Pinbacker.
- David Versus Goliath: Against Pinbacker.
- Deadpan Snarker: He has his moments.
- Geek Physiques: He's quite toned and attractive for a scientist.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He delivers the Icarus 2's payload, restarts the sun, and saves humanity at the cost of his life.
- Hot Scientist: Come on, it's Cillian Murphy.
- Not So Stoic: Despite being one of the most calm and composed survivors, he starts to snap a little as shit hits the fan.
- Science Hero: Is a scientist and the protagonist of the film.
- Smart People Play Chess: Displaying his intelligence.
- Took a Level in Badass: By the end of the film he's gone up against Pinbacker and saved all of humanity.
Played By: Chris Evans
- Badass Beard: Has a small beard and is one of the most Badass members of the crew.
- Badass Bookworm: With more emphasis on the Badass, but he's still very smart.
- Bald of Awesome: After his haircut.
- Beard of Sorrow: Isn't the most well-adjusted.
- The Big Guy: The most physically imposing of the team.
- Cassandra Truth: If everyone had just listened to him at the beginning about not taking the detour, none of the bad events in the film would have happened.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Repeatedly immersing yourself in freezing liquid is a horrible way to go. At least it was a Heroic Sacrifice.
- Deadpan Snarker: He kind of has to be as the blunt Only Sane Man.
- Decoy Protagonist: While he has all the characteristics of the traditional protagonist it becomes clear that the real main character is Capa and he ends up dying just before the climax.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Dies after repeatedly immersing himself in freezing liquid to fix the ship.
- Hot-Blooded: He's quick to anger.
- Important Haircut: Cuts his hair at the beginning of the film.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Yes, he's curt and rude, but he's not wrong. The fate of humanity rests on their shoulders.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He's a bit of a jerkass for putting the mission first, but he does care about his team.
- Knight Templar: Unusually, a completely justified example.
- Only Sane Man: While he's blunt his solutions to problems are usually the most logical; problem is, most of the time the crew goes against him.
Played By: Rose Byrne
- Break the Cutie: Over the course of the film.
- The Conscience: Is the only member of the crew who doesn't agree with the decision to kill Trey.
- Deadpan Snarker: Mildly.
- Famous Last Words: "Finish it".
- The Heart: She values human life and is reluctant to kill Trey to conserve the ship's oxygen.
- Kill the Cutie: Is mortally wounded during the final fight with Pinbacker.
- Perpetual Frowner: She rarely smiles.
- Stupid Good: She refuses to kill Trey (who's already suicidal) to save enough oxygen so the Icarus crew can complete the mission and save the human race because she considers it wrong.
- Took a Level in Badass: She and Capa take on a rampaging Pinbacker.
Played By: Michelle Yeoh
- Deadpan Snarker: Like many of her crewmates.
- Friend to All Living Things: She lovingly maintains the plants in the oxygen garden. When a fire devastates the garden, she's horrified.
- Heroic BSOD: When the oxygen garden is destroyed.
- In the Back: Pinbacker knifes her in the back with a scalpel.
- Team Mom: For the crew.
Played By: Cliff Curtis
- Bald of Awesome: Is bald and very brave.
- Driven to Suicide: Commits suicide by overexposure to the sun.
- Heroic Sacrifice Stays behind on Icarus I (which has separated from the other ship) to make sure that Capa, Mace, and Harvey get back safely. After doing this he commits suicide.
- Face Death with Dignity: Faces his imminent demise with no fear.
- Not So Different: From Pinbacker. Both are enamored with intense sunlight.
- Opaque Lenses: What he wears.
- Sanity Slippage: At the start of the film, he's enamored with the sun and spends time basking in sunlight. As the movie progresses, his fixation on the sun leads him to spend more time bathing in sunlight, so much so that his face is badly sunburned.
- The Shrink: He serves as a mental health professional for the Icarus 2 crew.
- Space Madness: Albeit a mild version.
Played By: Troy Garity
- Asshole Victim: It's hard to feel sorry for such a cowardly prick.
- Butt Monkey: Doesn't get much respect from his men, though this is justified.
- Dirty Coward: Despite being the captain, he only cares about self-preservation and refuses to stay behind on Icarus I to get the others back safely.
- It's All About Me: Harvey only cares about himself, and he tries to act like he's the victim when his crew get justifiably disgusted by his behavior.
- Literally Shattered Lives: Gets frozen in space after missing the airlock, and his corpse is disintegrated.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Harvey misses the hole then freezes out there in seconds, his frozen corpse hitting an antenna, thus breaking his arm before flying outside the shield, reduced to dust in seconds by the Sun.
- You Are in Command Now: Previously the second in command, he becomes captain after Kaneda dies.
Played By: Hiroyuki Sanada
- Badass Beard: Is bearded and a strong leader.
- Face Death with Dignity: He dies while conducting emergency repairs outside the ship. When he realizes that he cannot return to the interior in time, he accepts his death calmly.
- A Father to His Men: He's a fair and focus leader to the Icarus 2 crew.
- The Good Captain: His crew is his first priority.
- Heroic Sacrifice: He dies outside the ship while conducting emergency repairs.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He always tries to look out for the safety of his friends.
- Sacrificial Lion: He dies early in the film.
- Smart People Play Chess: Showing his intelligence.
- Team Dad: Everyone on the ship respects him.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Kaneda is the first member of the team to die.
Played By: Benedict Wong
- Asian and Nerdy: He's of Asian ancestry, and knowledgeable enough about science to navigate the Icarus 2.
- Despair Event Horizon: After he unwittingly jeopardizes the mission, Trey succumbs to depression and is put on suicide watch.
- Driven to Suicide: His crewmates find him in the medical ward with his wrists cut. While his death appears to be a suicide, Word of God states that Pinbacker did it.
- It's All My Fault: When he resets Icarus 2's new course, he forgets to conduct calculations for the shields, which leaves the ship vulnerable to the sun's intense heat and jeopardizes the mission. He's horrified when he realizes his mistake.
- Good with Numbers: As stated by himself.
- Nice Guy: He is harmless and is consumed by self-loathing when his mistake gets Kaneda killed.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: See It's All My Fault.
- The Smart Guy: Although his one crucial mistake ends up screwing over the team.
- Teen Genius: In his backstory.
Played By: Mark Strong
- Amoral Afrikaner: Hard to place because we don't really get a look at him, but Word of God says he's South African. It's easier to hear the accent in his recordings. Also an interesting example in that we have no idea what kind of person he was before he lost his marbles.
- Ax-Crazy: The Pinbacker that the Icarus 2 crew encounters is delusional and murderous.
- Bald of Evil: Likely burned off, as the man has been exposed to too much sunlight due to his madness.
- Big Bad: Sabotaged his mission, sabotaging the second Icarus as well.
- Body Horror: Because of his prolonged exposure to sunlight, he's covered in third degree burns. Also, during his fight with Capa and Cassie at the end of the film, Cassie grabs his arm, and his skin and flesh slough off in her hand.
- Egocentrically ReligiousCapa: My God. Pinbacker.Pinbacker: Not your God. Mine!
- Evil Sounds Deep: Baritone.
- The Fatalist: After his sanity slippage, he concludes that efforts to save humanity are futile.Pinbacker: All our science, all our hopes, our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return. When he chooses for us to die, it is not our place to challenge God.
- Full-Frontal Assault: He doesn't wear clothing, showing off his burns and wounds.
- The Fundamentalist: Having lost his mind, Pinbacker believes that he can talk to God and that he's carrying out God's will by sabotaging efforts to restart the sun.
- Genre Shift: He represents the movie's shift from hard-ish Sci-Fi with No Antagonist to a borderline slasher flick.
- Implacable Man: He's convinced that God wants humanity to die so that they can ascend to heaven. He meets any attempt to thwart this with violence, and he cannot be reasoned with or cowed.
- Made of Iron: There's no reason he's pretty much completely indestructible. He just is. Despite already being covered in third-degree burns.
- Not Quite Dead: Pinbacker was believed to have died along with the crew of the Icarus 1. However, he's very much alive and determined to thwart the Icarus 2 mission.
- Religious Bruiser: He's a formidable opponent who believes that he's carrying out the will of God.
- Sanity Slippage: Pinbacker lost his sanity while leading the crew of the Icarus 1.
- Satanic Archetype: He acts as an adversary to humanity on God's behalf (or so he believes in his madness), bringing to mind Satan's traditional role in the Hebrew Bible as the Adversary. When Capa meets him face-to-face, he's bathed in light, evoking Lucifer as an angel of light.
- Space Madness: During Icarus 1's journey, he went insane, presumably from the stresses of the mission.
- Spanner in the Works: After he goes insane, he sabotages the Icarus 1 mission and creates enormous problems for the Icarus 2 mission.
- Straw Nihilist: In his lunacy, he concludes that humanity's efforts to restart the sun are in vain, and that humans are inconsequential "dust" before God.