"Eight astronauts strapped to the back of a bomb. My bomb. Welcome to the Icarus Two."
"There is nothing, literally nothing, more important than completing our mission. End of story!"
"Only dream I ever have…is it the surface of the sun? Every time I shut my eyes…it's always the same."
Played By: Rose Byrne
"…total light envelops you. It becomes you. It's very strange...I recommend it."
Played By: Cliff Curtis
Played By: Troy Garity
Played By: Hiroyuki Sanada
Played By: Benedict Wong
- Asian and Nerdy
- Despair Event Horizon: After he unwittingly jeopardizes the mission, Trey succumbs to depression and is put on suicide watch.
- Driven to Suicide: His crewmates find him in the medical ward with his wrists cut. While his death appears to be a suicide, Word of God states that Pinbacker did it.
- It's All My Fault: When he resets Ikarus 2's new course, he forgets to conduct calculations for the shields, which leaves the ship vulnerable to the sun's intense heat and jeopardizes the mission. He's horrified when he realizes his mistake.
- Good with Numbers
- The Smart Guy
- Teen Genius: In his backstory.
"For seven years I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven."
- Bald of Evil
- Big Bad
- Body Horror: Because of his prolonged exposure to sunlight, he's covered in third degree burns. Also, during his fight with Capa and Cassie at the end of the film, Cassie grabs his arm, and his skin and flesh slough off in her hand.
- Egocentrically Religious
Capa: My God. Pinbacker.
Pinbacker: Not your God. Mine!
- Evil Sounds Deep
- The Fatalist: After his sanity slippage, he concludes that efforts to save humanity are futile.
Pinbacker: All our science, all our hopes, our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return. When he chooses for us to die, it is not our place to challenge God.
- Full-Frontal Assault
- The Fundamentalist: Having lost his mind, Pinbacker believes that he can talk to God and that he's carrying out God's will by sabotaging efforts to restart the sun.
- Implacable Man: He's convinced that God wants humanity to die so that they can ascend to heaven. He meets any attempt to thwart this with violence, and he cannot be reasoned with or cowed.
- Made of Iron
- Nietzsche Wannabe
- Not Quite Dead
- Religious Bruiser
- Sanity Slippage
- Satanic Archetype: He acts as an adversary to humanity on God's behalf (or so he believes in his madness), bringing to mind Satan's traditional role in the Hebrew Bible as the Adversary. When Capa meets him face-to-face, he's bathed in light, evoking Lucifer as an angel of light.
- Serial Killer
- Space Madness: During Ikarus 1's journey, he went insane, presumably from the stresses of the mission.
- Spanner in the Works: After he goes insane, he sabotages the Ikarus 1 mission and creates enormous problems for the Ikarus 2 mission.