Characters: Strategic Cyborg Evangelion
This page is for summarizing the characters in Strategic Cyborg Evangelion. Most of the original Eva characters were twisted and turned by the author beyond recognition, for better or worse. Spoilers are be present.
open/close all folders
Kaworu NagisaThe main protagonist of the story, Kaworu is a fourteen year old orphan who grew up on the streets of Vienna. Not having had a family to depend on, nor memories about his early childhood, he was essentially forced to raise himself; the result is a friendly but independent boy with a particular hatred for abuse of power of any kind.He became a pilot when Rei in Unit-00 was incapacitated by Sachiel; Kaworu commandeered the Eva and defeated the Angel. He was immediately detained by Section 2 and Yui basically blackmailed him into working for her.
- Action Survivor - Kaworu has no prior piloting experience like Rei or formal training like Asuka, nor is he miraculously competent. His Eva also gets seriously damaged in nearly every battle. Yet he still manages to get through those battles alive and victorious, even though he already came very close to dying in his first proper battle.
- Adaptational Badass - He's considerably more of a fighter than in canon.
- Amnesiac Hero - Has no memories beyond the age of six-and-a-half. Based on the lack of detectable physical damage on his brain, Sanada diagnoses it as psychogenic amnesia caused by a traumatic experience.
- The Alcoholic - He's a heavy drinker but somehow never gets drunk, no matter how much alcohol he consumes. He gets away with it only because Yui warned him not to even try Drinking On Duty.
- A-Team Firing - His aptitude with firearms is... not good.
- Badass Bystander - Against Sachiel.
- Bilingual Bonus - He's fluent in German.
- Bully Hunter - As revealed in the very first chapter, he got himself expelled from his previous school by beating up the principal's son for bullying a younger kid. And on his very first day in his new school, Kaworu ends up confronting a trio of upperclassmen bullying a younger boy but Hikari manages to defuse the situation before they come to blows.
- Chaste Hero - He outright states a lack of interest in relationships, much to Toji's shock. Later on, he also tells Rei to Please Put Some Clothes On without any hint of embarrassment or arousal.
- Combat Pragmatist - His hand-to-hand fighting style is rather brutal, ranging from full-powered kicks to the crotch that leave the victim in such excruciating pain as to need assistance to stand up, to bending his victim over and repeatedly kneeing them in the stomach until said victim throws up.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu - Even after witnessing Sachiel administering a beatdown to Rei and having only sat in Unit-00 for a few minutes, he relentlessly calls the Angel out on all the pain and destruction it caused. Sachiel is understandably pissed... before Kaworu starts backing his words with the Eva's fists, demonstrating that the Angel is actually much weaker than it looks.
- Gadgeteer Genius - He has small-current electronics as a hobby and even built a tripwire-controlled nailgun to keep intruders out of his room.
- Giving the Sword to a Noob - Unlike Rei, Kaworu has no piloting skill or experience at first but Yui still recruits him because He Knows Too Much and killing him to plug in a security leak would be a waste.
- Healing Factor - He completely recovers from life-threatening cranial bleeding in a week. Other instances of him healing abnormally fast are also mentioned.
- Heroic Albino - One of the bullies he confronts in chapter 2 even taunts him about it by calling him Snow White.
- I Shall Taunt You - To Sachiel. And it actually works; as it turns out, Angels are just as vulnerable to psychological warfare as humans.
- Knight Templar - He's not at all squeamish about getting his hands dirty, to the point where he gives Sachiel a brutal beating while calling out all the death and destruction it caused before killing it, all without being prompted to do so.
- Locked Out of the Loop - Yui, Lilith, Adam and Sanada all know something about him but keep it a secret.
- Messy Hair - As in canon, aided by the fact that he used to be a street kid until shortly before the story begins.
- Mind Rape - The Spear of Longinus inflicts this on him when he first uses it, by way of sensory overload. The resulting cerebral hemorrhage comes very close to killing him.
- Mysterious Past - Not only he doesn't have any family, he's suffering from amnesia and doesn't remember anything from his childhood.
- Never Gets Drunk - He can down an entire bottle of vodka in a single swig and suffer no ill effects. In fact, he uses alcohol in place of coffee to wake himself up.
- Never Hurt an Innocent - His Berserk Button.
- Not Quite Human - His DNA doesn't quite match up with that of a baseline human. Nor do his alcohol resistance, infection resistance, rapid healing and extremely dense skeleton.
- Parental Abandonment - He used to be an orphaned street kid before coming to Tokyo-2 and according to Yui, there are no records of his parents whatsoever.
- Scannable Man - Not a barcode but he has a serial number tattooed onto his arm.
- Screw Destiny - He's an atheist precisely because he hates the idea of not being in control of his own fate.
- Street Urchin - Used to be one.
- Super Toughness - Chapter 18 reveals that his bones are considerably denser than normal, to the point they are as hard as quartz. For comparison, normal human bones have hardness equivalent to apatite, which is a full two grades below quartz on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness.
- Time Abyss - Chapter 15 confirms that Kaworu is still very much alive in 3071, albeit weak and confined to a medical pod.
- Unskilled, but Strong - Unlike Rei and Asuka, Kaworu's fighting skills lean more towards experience and improvisation than training.
Rei IkariRei is Kaworu's classmate and Yui's adoptive daughter. People find her somewhat strange and that's not due to her author-induced Xenafication. The author's reasoning behind this is an experiment about how Rei would grow up if she would preserve her original personality without Gendo's influence. The result is a Rei who moves from team cannon fodder and walking fanservice to being a highly competent fighter of her own right but having serious trust issues due to not having had anyone to bond with. Just as her canon counterpart, she rarely interacts with others (though this time around, she does so by choice, not because she was told not to) and even admits being an existential nihilist.Another of her traits unique to the fandom is the large amount of weaponry she carries on her person, even firearms; she's a scarily good marksman. She's been working for the AEL for an unspecified length of time.
- Ace Pilot - Mostly Bushwhacker, forced upon her by Unit-00's faulty construction making it too fragile for close combat.
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero - Type 4: she has no moral qualms about killing and torturing people if the situation calls for it.
- Badass Biker - Has an electrically powered motorbike as her transportation of choice. She's good enough of a driver to take highly accurate sniper shots while riding.
- Badass Bookworm - She has an IQ of 164, higher than the city's entire high-school age population.
- Badass Longcoat - A black trenchcoat she wears at all times while not piloting. It is essentially her equivalent of her canon counterpart's school uniform. She wears it as a countermeasure to Dirty Mind-Reading, hiding her body so that boys won't think about it.
- Biker Babe - Her introduction in the first chapter has her almost running Kaworu down with her bike, getting an earful from Hikari as a result.
- Cold Sniper - Aside from her cold mannerisms, she's a crack shot and prefers single-shot long-range weapons over automatic ones.
- Crazy-Prepared - Her Extended Disarming scene in has her procuring an absurd amount of weaponry from her coat, including a grenade launcher.
- Creepy Child - According to some of her classmates.
- Cry Cute - Into Kaworu's chest when she finds out that he's her Long Lost Sibling.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Glare - She seemingly enjoys giving this.
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl - Aside from an early demonstration of Super Strength, she's also revealed to possess psychic powers.
- Fascinating Eyebrow - She takes this to almost Teal'c-levels.
- Fingerless Gloves - Black ones.
- Friendless Background - Mostly due to her unusual appearance, Rei is a social outcast in her class - in fact, an omake reveals she had no friends as far back as elementary school. She initially appears to not care about it until it's revealed that she has cripplingly low self-esteem and doesn't approach anyone because she thinks they'd never understand her.
- Improbable Aiming Skills - Sniping human-sized targets from across the street with an anti-material rifle held one-handed and while Fast Roping with the other hand probably counts as this. As do headshotting someone standing behind her with a machine pistol fired at full-auto from across the room without looking, using the target's reflection in someone else's eye to aim. Or accurately sniping from the seat of a moving motorbike.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl - Same as in canon.
- Knife Nut - She's got a lot of these in her coat.
- And her throwing skills are good enough to knife someone in the eye from beyond visual range in fog!
- Lady of War
- Murderous Thighs - She can snap necks with them.
- No Sense of Personal Space - Towards Kaworu later on, drawing a lot of attention. It is implied that it might have something to do with her telepathy.
- Not So Stoic - When Kaworu shows her his tattoo, the same one she has, Rei completely loses her composure, going from stumbling around in shock, to yelling at him to crying into his chest.
- One Woman Army - She brutally kills over a dozen people at one point with a mixture of sniping and ambushing.
- Parental Abandonment - The primary reason for her being emotionally withdrawn is Yui's attention being focused elsewhere. The complete lack of a father figure doesn't help either.
- The Power of Rock - She's a fan of death metal and metalcore, almost constantly listening to it in her earplugs.
- The Quiet One - With the exception of her brief conversations with Kaworu, she rarely speaks unless spoken to.
- Religious Bruiser - Despite excelling in the art of killing, she's shown to be praying for God's forgiveness at one point.
- Room Full of Crazy - The ceiling of her room is written full of Kabbalistic symbols, diagrams and biblical text including the Book of Genesis and the Book of Revelations.
- Shrinking Violet - Beneath the Mask of indifference, Rei very much wants to be left alone.
- Small Girl, Big Gun - And an anti-tank rifle at that.
- Spock Speak - Appears to be by choice, as she fully understands slang and everyday euphemisms when others use them. When she has her breakdown in front of Kaworu, her Japanese even slips into an impolite speech register.
- The Stoic - Appears to be at first, with her even priding herself on it. Later revealed to be very much Not So Stoic, with extensive internal conflicts that irritate her precisely because they disrupt her emotional self-control.
- Street Samurai
- Sugar and Ice Personality - Goes from holding Kaworu at gunpoint to crying into his chest in the space of a single scene.
- Super Reflexes - during the Ramiel battle, one of the Angel's drones shot an energy beam at her from behind. Rei's response was to spin her Eva around, go into Bullet Time and deflect the beam into another opponent with her sword, calculating the exact angle required to deflect the beam onto target without ruining her weapon.
- Super Speed - Appears to have some sort of it, judging by how she can cross a room in barely a second without making a single sound.
- Super Strength - At the age of nine, she was already able to kick down a door with enough force to send it flying, even knocking down someone who happened to be behind the door. The exact limit of her strength is unknown but she kicks Kaworu across her room without any effort.
- Unkempt Beauty - She doesn't care about her own appearance all that much, even though she's apparently attractive enough to have been asked out by several boys before.
- Walking Armory - A sword, a Barret M82A1, two Micro Uzis, two custom-modified Matebas, an AG36 grenade launcher, a collapsible Fuuma Shuriken and a shitload of knives.
- Woman in Black - Almost all of her clothing is black, except for her plugsuit.
Asuka Langley ShephardThe newest member of Kaworu's class, Asuka instantly develops animosity towards Kaworu, seeing him as a Wide-Eyed Idealist who needs to have his eyes opened before he falls flat on his face. She never spent much time in any of her previous schools due to following her commissioned officer single father from posting to posting. Unknown to everyone in the class, Asuka is a highly proficient battleframe pilot and hand-to-hand fighter with ambitions of following her father's footsteps and enlisting as she comes of age; her expertise is what got her recruited by Yui. Asuka is also the youngest of the pilots.Her backstory was revealed late in the first season: two year-old Asuka and her mother was on a business trip in Europe when they found themselves in the middle of a terrorist attack. In the confusion, Kyoko was shot right in front of Asuka and bled to death while clutching her daughter. This scarred Asuka's mind to the point that even after she stopped having nightmares, she's now hell-bent on tracking down the ones responsible and getting revenge no matter what.
- Ace Pilot - A mixture of Steamroller and Plugger. Her exact role in the team is to execute repeated flanking attacks from range.
- Badass Normal - So far she's the only pilot who appears completely ordinary, yet kicks ass just as much as the others.
- Bayonet Ya - She's pretty skilled with a bayonet.
- Bi the Way
- Child Soldier - Kinda. She started her combat training before she even began puberty but hasn't seen live combat until the story begins.
- Counterattack - Her favorite tactic if forced into close combat: invoke The Law of Diminishing Defensive Effort to cause the enemy to tire themselves out and make a mistake she can exploit, then hit back hard.
- Covert Pervert - When Rei and Kaworu go into the latter's room, Asuka thinks they're about to have sex and tries to listen in. Unfortunately for her, Rei can sense her presence.
- Confirmed in chapter 13 where she masturbates while fantasizing about Mari.
- Good Bad Girl - She dated several guys before but never went all the way. On the other hand, she's bisexual and is a Covert Pervert.
- I'll Be in My Bunk - Asuka is confirmed to be consciously invoking this on girls with breasts larger than hers.
- Lethal Chef - Outright stated by her father.
- Meganekko - Subverted: she has mild hyperopia and doesn't actually need corrective wear per se but wears them anyway to keep her eyesight from deteriorating further. She only wears glasses at home, using contact lenses instead while in public.
- Military Brat - Her dad is ex-USMC and currently a soldier. Asuka herself intends to enlist as well, once she comes of age.
- Missing Mom - Killed in front of Asuka.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
- Tragic Keepsake - The stone she wears as pendant is implied to be Kyoko's.
- Tsundere - Come on, Asuka isn't Asuka without this!
Yui IkariThe current chairman of the Artificial Evolution Laboratory and mother of one child. Due to differences in Evangelion technology, she didn't have to undergo a contact experiment to get the Evas operational. However, she got into a major disagreement with Gendo ten years before the story begins and they divorced, with Gendo leaving the AEL and taking most of the robotics experts with him to found Gehirn. Despite this setback, Yui took control of the AEL with an iron hand and built it up into the highly successful biotech firm some people call "the modern Black Mesa".As the chairman of a huge company, Yui never had the time to take care of Rei who, as a result, grew up as an independent and withdrawn girl. Instead, Yui poured all of her time and attention into creating the Evangelions and doing it so good that no one outside the AEL had any idea about their or the Geofront's existence.
- Arbitrary Skepticism - She works with Evas on a daily basis yet she has a hard time believing the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Badass Bureaucrat
- Brainy Brunette
- Hot Scientist - She has a degree in genetics.
- Iron Lady - Doesn't even hesitate to backtalk high-ranking military officers if that's what she needs to have her way.
- Married to the Job - Pretty much. Not pulling an all-nighter is the exception for her.
- My Greatest Failure - Something happened in the past that makes Yui want to atone to Kaworu.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist - Averted. She's explicitly stated to be a geneticist and defers to Sanada in medical matters.
- Power Hair
- Reasonable Authority Figure - Despite having basically threatened Kaworu into working for her, that was the only time she acted antagonistically towards him. She's not above giving him a pay bonus if he does his job well.
- Self-Made Woman - She was one of the founders of the AEL and was only a member of the executive board ten years ago. Now she's the head of the company with connections in the government.
- The Spock - Not emotionless by any means but she's still
- Woman Scorned - She had Gendo fired from the AEL when they divorced.
- On the other hand, she's not above Working with the Ex to get results with the Evangelion project.
Adrian ShephardBeing snatched from the G-Man by Vortigaunts shortly after the Uprising, Shephard joined the Confederate army to make sure something like Black Mesa never happens again. In a few years, he managed to climb to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel while carefully hiding his involvement with HECU. After Kyoko's death, he left Earth with the intention of not returning; the Sachiel incident however prompted the army to dispatch someone to snoop around and shed some light on what the AEL is up to. Due to Shephard being considered by his superiors as somewhat of a loose cannon, he was assigned to the task with Asuka accompanying him.He's a pretty fun guy despite the fact that he's technically in his sixties due to the G-Man's stasis putting him out of commission for 20 years.
- Colonel Badass - Lieutenant colonel.
- Cool Old Guy
- Expy - Of Jack O'Neill.
- The McCoy - He heatedly gives a piece of his mind to Yui when the latter scolds him for publicly humiliating her and usurping command to save Kaworu.
- Military Maverick - He ignores the rules whenever it's advantageous, which has gotten him in trouble before.
- OC Stand-in - There is absolutely no canon information available about him so the author took some liberties.
- Older Than They Look - He's 65.
- Passing the Torch - He allows Asuka to pursue her militaristic ambitions because he can't be her guardian forever; he even gave her Marine-grade CQC training.
- Reassigned to Antarctica - Has been on the receiving end of this numerous times, leaving him bitter and mistrustful of his superiors.
- Semper Fi - He's ex-USMC.
- Team Dad - Explicitly says that while Kaworu isn't his child, that doesn't mean Shephard doesn't care about him.
Yoshiro SanadaAn original character, Sanada is the AEL's chief medical doctor and an old colleague of Yui's. He also has something to do with Kaworu's past.
- My Greatest Failure - The same one as Yui's.
- Open Heart Dentistry - It's not stated what his exact field is, but we know it's not neurosurgery. He still performs a successful craniectomy on Kaworu.
- Original Character
- Super Doc - Performs emergency life-saving cranial surgery on Kaworu despite it explicitly not being related to his field. He dismisses it has having steady hands and access to extensive medical records and manuals.
- Think Nothing of It - His attitude about performing life-saving emergency surgery on Kaworu.
Unlike the canonverse, the SCE Evangelions don't need contact experiments to work. Using salvaged remains of the Overwatch Dispatcher, the Confederacy developed rudimentary AI technology for use on board larger spacecraft. For the Evangelions, AEL scientists write specially crafted AIs they convert into electric impulses and upload into the Evangelion's core, essentially acting as a crude substitute for a real soul.
LilithThe AI of Unit-00. Over time, Lilith bonded with Rei as a big sister and is the only person Rei ever considered to be her friend.
- Japanese Honorifics - Mostly uses san towards everyone except Yui, whom she calls Hakase-dono. According to author's notes, that's supposed to be Lilith's equivalent of Thank the Maker.
- Japanese Sibling Terminology - Used incorrectly. She calls Adam niisan even though she's the older one.
- Sliding Scale of Robot Intelligence - Level 4.
- Yamato Nadeshiko - Lilith shows some traits: wise, mature, humble, loyal to Rei but obedient to Yui.
AdamAdam is a more newer creation and barely interacted with humans before being put into cryofreeze. After his assignment to be Kaworu's partner, he rapidly starts forming his own personality which is quite similar to Lilith's.
- Evangelion Popsicle - At the beginning of the story, getting thawed out for Kaworu's use.
- Machine Monotone - At first.
- Robo Speak - Ditto.
- Sliding Scale of Robot Intelligence - Over the course of the story, upgrades himself from level 3 to level 4 by reading human literature.
- Warrior Poet - He picked up quite a vocabulary when he rewrote himself.
SekhmetSekhmet is Unit-02's AI. Unlike her fellow Evangelions, Sekhmet is completely, totally insane and not in a good way: she herself says that since she's a weapon made to kill and destroy, she might as well have fun while fulfilling her purpose. It certainly doesn't help that she's praising Khorne while working.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.