This page is for summarizing the characters in Strategic Cyborg Evangelion
. Most of the original Eva
characters were twisted and turned by the author beyond recognition, for better or worse. Spoilers are be present.
open/close all folders
Kaworu Nagisa"Yo, WAZZZZUUUUUP?!"
The main protagonist of the story, Kaworu's a fourteen year old orphan who grew up without family or emotional support of any kind; all leads he has from his past is a heavily damaged photo and a 19-character alphanumeric code tattooed onto his arm. As a result, he taught himself to be self-supportive and not hang onto anyone but unlike canon!Asuka, he doesn't shut himself off from everyone but simply avoids placing too much importance in his life on others. His personality was crafted by the author to be a hybrid between canon!Kaworu and Kamina
, to... interesting
results: he has a pessimistic worldview that the world is a crappy place powered by Asskicking Equals Authority
where everyone takes what they need from those who can't defend themselves and no one tries to change things because Status Quo Is God
. He wants to change this but seeing as most people simply think he's a Large Ham
nutjob, it isn't like he means it, right?
He became a pilot when Rei in Unit-00 was incapacitated by Sachiel; Kaworu commandeered the Eva and defeated the Angel. He was then taken into custody by Section 2 and introduced to Yui who basically blackmailed him into testing Unit-01 for her
- Action Survivor - as Asuka points it out, it's not competence or Plot Armor that makes him survive Angel battles but pure, sheer luck. And a heaping help of improvisation.
- Adaptational Badass
- The Alcoholic - he's a heavy drinker and gets away with it only because Yui told him not to even try Drinking On Duty.
- Badass Bystander - against Sachiel.
- Chaste Hero - he's essentially the Spear Counterpart to Innocent Fanservice Girl
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu - even after witnessing Sachiel administering a beatdown to Rei and having only sat in Unit-00 for a few minutes, he relentlessly calls the Angel out on all the pain and destruction it caused. Sachiel is understandably pissed... before Kaworu starts backing his words with the Eva's fists, demonstrating that the Angel is actually much weaker than it looks.
- Gadgeteer Genius - he has small-current electronics as a hobby.
- Giving the Sword to a Noob - unlike Rei, Kaworu has no skill with polearms but still gets the Lance of Longinus because also unlike Rei, he has no skill with firearms either.
- Heroic Albino
- I Shall Taunt You - to Sachiel. And it actually works as it turns out Angels are just as vulnerable to psychological warfare as humans.
- Knight Templar - he's not at all squeamish about getting his hands dirty, to the point where he gives Sachiel a brutal beating while calling out all the death and destruction it caused before killing it, all without being prompted to do so.
- In fact, the second chapter draws explicit parallels between him and Adolf Hitler.
- Lovecraftian Superpower - in a Shout-Out to Prototype, Kaworu can morph his arms into claws that can cut through most things including glass like paper
- Manly Tears - in the first season finale
- The McCoy
- Messy Hair
- Mysterious Past - not only he doesn't have any family, he's suffering from amnesia and doesn't remember anything from his childhood.
- Never Gets Drunk - confirmed. He's also shown doing a Misato-style Beergasm, downing an entire bottle of vodka in a single swig in place of coffee to wake himself up.
- Never Hurt an Innocent - his Berserk Button.
- Parental Abandonment - he used to be an orphaned street kid before coming to Tokyo-2 and according to Yui, there are no records of his parents whatsoever
- Scannable Man - not a barcode but he has a serial number tattooed onto his arm.
- Screw Destiny - he's an atheist precisely because he hates being controlled by a higher power. If only he knew about the G-Man...
- Stone Wall - his task in the team is keeping the enemy's attention on himself.
- Time Abyss - the intro of Part 2 confirms that Kaworu is still very much alive in 3672.
- Unskilled, but Strong - aside from some streetfighting experience, Kaworu is a complete amateur
Rei is Kaworu's classmate and Yui's adoptive
daughter. People find her somewhat strange and that's not due to her author-induced Xenafication
. The author's reasoning behind this is an experiment about how Rei would grow up if she would preserve her original personality without Gendo's influence. The result is a Rei who moves from team cannon fodder and walking fanservice to being a highly competent pilot but having serious abandonment issues due to Yui rarely spending any time with her outside work. Just as her canon counterpart, she rarely interacts with others (though this time around, she does so because she honestly doesn't give a damn, not because she was told not to) and even admits that she's an existential nihilist.
Another of her traits unique to the fandom is the lots of weaponry she carries on her person, even firearms; she's a scarily
good marksman. She's been working for the AEL for an unspecified length of time and it quickly becomes apparent that she's not your everyday schoolgirl even before Kaworu finds her in Unit-00's entry plug
. It becomes even more obvious when she starts performing superhuman feats of agility near the end of season 1.
- Ace Pilot - mostly Bushwhacker but force her into close combat and she'll go Steamroller with her sword
- Action Girl
- Anti-Hero - type 4: she has no moral qualms about killing and torturing people if the situation calls for it
- Badass Biker
- Badass Bookworm - she has an IQ of 164
- Badass Longcoat
- Biker Babe - her introduction in the first chapter has her busting through the school's gates with her bike
- Broken Bird - Beneath the Mask of her indifference, she has very low self-esteem which eventually resulted in a suicide attempt
- Cold Sniper
- Crazy-Prepared - her Extended Disarming scene in S1Ch22 has her procuring an absurd amount of weaponry from her trenchcoat including this
- Creepy Child - according to some of her classmates
- Deadpan Snarker
- Death Glare - she gets her kicks out of this
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness - when she's about to kill herself
- Extraordinarily Empowered Girl - so far she demonstrated Telepathy, Super Strength, Ceiling Cling on a vertical surface, Lovecraftian Superpower...
- Fascinating Eyebrow - she takes this to almost Teal'c-levels
- Fingerless Gloves - black ones, she takes them off prior to deploying her Lovecraftian Superpower
- Friendless Background - mostly due to her unusual appearance, Rei's pretty much a social outcast in her class - in fact, omake The present reveals that she had no friends as far back as elementary school. She initially appears to not care about it until it's revealed that she has cripplingly low self-esteem and doesn't approach anyone because they'd never understand her.
- Going Commando - implied in the first season
- Improbable Aiming Skills - sniping human-sized targets from across the street with an anti-material rifle held one-handed and while Fast Roping with the other hand probably counts as this. As do headshotting someone standing behind her with a machine pistolnote from across the room without looking, using the target's reflection in someone else's eye to aim.
- S2Ch9 reveals that Rei can dismember opponents with medium-range sniper shots. In fog so thick you can't see further than twenty meters.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl - Rei was already this in canon and the author saw it better not to change it. As a result, this Rei has no complaints about parading naked in front of Kaworu
- Keigo - when conversing in Japanese with Tabris in S1Ch23, she uses the ultra-polite watakushi first-person pronoun
- Knife Nut - see Crazy-Prepared above
- Knight Templar
- Lady of War
- Murderous Thighs - she can snap necks with them
- Nietzsche Wannabe - she's pretty pessimistic in general and goes on an extended rant when Kaworu stops her from committing suicide
- No Sense of Personal Space - towards Kaworu in Part 2, drawing lots of attention
- One Woman Army - she brutally kills over a dozen people in S2Ch9 with a mixture of sniping, ambushing and hit-and-run attacks
- Parental Abandonment - the primary reason for her being emotionally withdrawn is Yui's attention being focused elsewhere. The complete lack of a father figure doesn't help either.
- Le Parkour - assisted by telekinesis. She can scale walls and run vertically upwards pretty much indefinitely.
- The Power of Rock - she's a confirmed fan of death metal and metalcore
- The Quiet One - with the exception of her brief conversations with Kaworu, she never speaks unless spoken to
- Religious Bruiser
- Room Full of Crazy - the ceiling of her room is written full of Kabbalistic symbols, diagrams and biblical text including the Book of Genesis and the Book of Revelations
- Small Girl, Big Gun - and a tank rifle at that
- Spock Speak - implied that she uses it by choice as she fully understands slang and everyday euphemisms when others say them
- The Stoic
- Street Samurai - the author was aiming for this impression
- Sugar and Ice Personality - she only opens up to Kaworu
- Super Reflexes - during the Ramiel battle, one of the Angel's drones shot an energy beam at her from behind. Rei's response was to spin her Eva around, go into Bullet Time and deflect the beam into another opponent with her sword, calculating the exact angle required to deflect the beam onto target without ruining her weapon.
- Super Strength - in The present, she kicks down a door. And by kicking down, we mean blowing it clean off its hinges so hard it knocked the guy standing behind it to the ground. Oh, and did we mention she was nine at the time?
- Thousand-Yard Stare - when she's about to kill herself
- True Neutral
- Unkempt Beauty
- Walking Armory - a sword, a Barret M82A1, two Micro Uzis, two custom-modified Matebas, an AG36 grenade launcher and a shitload of knives.
- Woman in Black - her most distinctive feature
Asuka Langley Shephard"What an idiot..."
The newest member of Kaworu's class, Asuka instantly develops animosity with Kaworu, seeing him as a Wide-Eyed Idealist
who needs to have his eyes opened before he falls flat on his face. She never spent lots of time in any of her previous schools as she moved around a lot. Unknown to everyone in the class, Asuka is a highly proficient battleframe
pilot and hand-to-hand fighter with ambitions of following her father's footsteps and enlisting as she comes of age; her expertise is what got her recruited by Yui. Also, Asuka is the youngest of the pilots.
Her backstory was revealed late in the first season: two year-old Asuka and her mother was on a business trip in Europe when they found themselves in the middle of a terrorist attack. In the confusion, Kyoko was shot right in front of Asuka and bled to death while clutching her daughter. This scarred Asuka's mind to the point that even after she stopped having nightmares, she's now hell-bent on tracking down the ones responsible and getting revenge no matter what.
Yui Ikari"I have work to do so if you'd be so kind..."
The current chairman of the Artificial Evolution Laboratory and mother of one child. Due to differences in Evangelion technology, she didn't have to undergo a contact experiment to get the Evas operational. However, she got into a major disagreement with Gendo ten years before the story begins and they divorced, with Gendo leaving the AEL and taking most of the robotics experts with him to found Gehirn
. Despite this setback, Yui took control of the AEL with an iron hand and built it up into the highly successful biotech firm some people call "the modern Black Mesa".
As the chairman of a huge company, Yui never had the time to take care of Rei who, as a result, grew up as an independent and withdrawn girl. Instead, Yui poured all of her time and attention into creating the Evangelions and doing it so good that no one outside the AEL had any idea about their or the Geofront's existence.
Being snatched from the G-Man by Vortigaunts shortly after the Uprising, Shephard joined the Confederate army to make sure something like Black Mesa never happens again. In a few years, he managed to climb to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel while carefully hiding his involvement with HECU. After Kyoko's death
, he left Earth with the intention of not returning; the Sachiel incident however prompted the army to dispatch someone to snoop around and shed some light on what the AEL is up to. Due to Shephard being considered by his superiors as somewhat of a loose cannon, he was assigned to the task with Asuka accompanying him.
He's a pretty fun guy despite the fact that he's technically in his sixties due to the G-Man's stasis putting him out of commission for 20 years.
Unlike the canonverse, the Ascensionverse's Evangelions don't need contact experiments to work. Using salvaged remains of the Overwatch Dispatcher, the Confederacy developed rudimentary AI technology for use on board larger spacecraft. For the Evangelions, AEL scientists write specially crafted AIs
they convert into electric impulses and upload into the Evangelion's core, essentially acting as a crude substitute for a real soul.
Lilith"We have not had many opportunities for communicating in the past; now we have an opportunity to rectify that."
The AI of Unit-00. Over time, Lilith bonded with Rei as a big sister and is the only person Rei ever considered to be her friend.
Adam"Questions flow like water from the depths of the curious mind. [...] I was searching for ways to better serve the purpose which I was created for; for without purpose, our existence is nil. Purpose is that which creates us and binds us to existence, that which guides us in life, that which defines the part of us that makes us."
Adam is a more newer creation and barely interacted with humans before being put into cryofreeze
. After his assignment to be Kaworu's partner, he rapidly starts forming his own personality which is quite similar to Lilith's.
Sekhmet"I MUST HAVE BLOOD!!!"
Sekhmet is Unit-02's AI. Unlike her fellow Evangelions, Sekhmet is completely, totally insane
and not in a good way: she herself says that since she's a weapon made to kill and destroy, she might as well have fun while fulfilling her purpose. It certainly doesn't help that she's praising Khorne