This is a list of all the many, many characters
on Persona: Project Rebirth
. Most of them are insane.
Try not to drown in them.
open/close all folders
Year 1 Students
Tsukasa is violent. Fighting is her favorite pastime, and she will get mad at anyone that doesn't agree with her point of view, which tends to change from time to time. There aren't that many people that can bare her because of this. Due to the fact that she cares almost nothing of others' opinions, Tsukasa often finds herself in rather awkward situations that confuse everyone around her except herself. For example, it made perfect sense to her to grope Kaede to determine her gender. Everyone else didn't think so.
She's the daughter of a famous Kendoka and as such has taken the sport up herself. Amongst the few girls in the Kendo club, Tsukasa is one of the strongest, and frequently makes it a point through her words and in combat. Her Persona had been encouraging her to fight more and more, leading the already violent girl into more fighting situations than ever before. After her accidental murder of two thugs, Tsukasa decides to start fighting to defeat bad guys, and resolves into Ashling the Pilgrim.
Miyuki didn't really have a fantastic childhood. She was left alone with her mom and brother after her father died in a car crash, and had a really close relationship with her brother, (hahahahahahahano.)
who then disappeared. Since then, Miyuki has been attempting to regain that close relationship with someone else, but hasn't found anyone yet. She operated as a normal high school student for a while, a girl that seemed a bit too nice to hang out with the ditzy crowds she usually hung out with.
Eventually, she arrived in the ruins along with Akiko, Kaede, and Manabu. After finding out that she could summon a giant castle from her head that was apparently her,
Miyuki was almost raped by Manabu, and then attempted to kill him in response when her persona took over her mind and body. She's been somewhat
reluctant to go back to the ruins since then.
Manabu is the one and only member of the Occult Club at Taiyoutono, a club dedicated to seeking out the strange, mystical things in everyday life. At the start of the story, he was well known for being a stalker and was rumored to have followed several girls home and around school. His initial Persona was Cyeggha
of the Moon Arcana.
After awakening to his Persona, Manabu began to suffer from rather noticable Sanity Slippage
thanks to its murmurings, starting with it goading him into trying to rape Miyuki, followed by an attempt to live in the ruins, then by Manabu pulling out one of his own eyes.
It was after being saved from imminent death following the eye removal and befriending Kira that Manabu began to try to change himself, eventually resulting in him apologizing to Miyuki and ascending to Kuranes
. Since his ascension, he's primarily concerned himself with studying the Shadows within the ruins and trying to discover the truth of their abilities.
- Abusive Parents: Manabu's parents got divorced when he was in middle school, leaving him to live with his alcoholic father. Since then, he's been regularly beaten for the slightest infractions, including at least one attempted strangling and Manabu being shoved into a glass case when he was younger, which then shattered and left scars across his back.
- Attempted Rapist: Tried it twice on the same girl. The first time he was possessed by his Persona. The second time... not so much.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Manabu never actually says "kero" (the Japanese onomatopoeia for a frog's croak) at any point. Cyeggha was actually the one to say that, and it was in a long stream of taunts forcued on Manabu.
- Blind Seer: Believes himself to be this after ascending to Nyarlathotep in an Alternate Universe thread.
- Blond Guys Are Evil: Manabu has blond hair, though it's acknowledged it's dyed. He actually becomes more evil as his hair starts returning back to its natural black. The fact that he's stopped dying his hair is one of the first signs of his Sanity Slippage.
- Characterization Marches On: Initially, Manabu was a rather creepy stalker with major self esteem issues and a slave to his Persona, and a rather obviously villainous figure. Since then, he's realized he was in the wrong, tried to apologize to Miyuki, run away from his father's home, and vowed to make up for what he's done in the past, though he knows he never will be able to.
- Cheshire Cat Grin
- Despair Event Horizon: Hits his after Haruka stabs him, which causes him to run off to the ruins.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Manabu used guns right up until he accidentally killed someone in the ruins with one. Now he gets jumpy if one's used around him.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: He's usually drawn with these, though there's been rare exceptions.
- Freudian Excuse: Manabu was constantly abused by his parents (and still is abused by his father, now that his parents have divorced) as a child, and frequently bullied in grade school for his froglike appearance, leading to his extreme self-esteem issues and cowardice, which in turn have led to all of his problems with his Persona.
- Gonk: His slightly out of proportion features, plus the large shadows under his eyes and the large grin give him an almost froglike look.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Attempts to eat Ayane during one topic after living in the ruins. In an Alternate Universe topic, he eats Miyuki alive as he rapes her after going completely insane.
- In-Series Nickname: If someone doesn't know Manabu's name, then they certainly know his nickname, Frogface. He's not very fond of it, though.
- Kill the God: Intends to do this to the Butterfly.
- Laughing Mad: Spent almost an entire thread laughing at one point.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Part of the reason Manabu almost went mad was his crush on Miyuki. His Persona forced him to try to reciprocate his feelings by trying to rape her.
- Meaningful Name: Manabu means "study; learn", which is certainly something he spends a lot of time doing, particularly in regards to other people in his school. Kaerunuma means "frog pond", alluding to his froglike appearance.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Played with. While he does turn out to be a nice enough guy if you can befriend him, he did blackmail Haruka into dating him and attempted to rape Miyuki.
- Power Born of Madness/With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Manabu has the potential to ascend to Nyarlathotep, but the only way for him to do so is to lose his mind completely. It happened in an Alternate Universe thread after he ate Miyuki alive.
- Sanity Slippage: After awakening to Cyeggha. Eventualy gets better.
- Stalker with a Crush: Was this toward Miyuki, and if the rumors are to believed, did the same with several other girls in the past.
"Pepper spray is a good medium... fairly cheap..."
Michi is your average (for Nagashima) insane child. She talks to her three dolls, a teddy bear, a bunny rabbit, and a Shisa doll, and thinks that they talk to her. The Shisa doll is the only doll that "talks" to her; it is actually her Persona speaking to her, rather than the doll actually doing the talking. She's not mentally unstable, but she's mentally damamged enough to be unable to recognize the difference between reality and her own little world. She's extremely nice, but frequently freaks other students out.
- I Reject Your Reality: The girl doesn't like society and its reality at all.
- Pyro Maniac: She likes fire. A lot. To the point of having a homemade flamethrower.
The socially awkward
nephew of Shin Imoto, and a former friend of Toru Watanabe. Naoya has difficulty communicating, and tends to feel out of place. At least part of this is due to his recent stay in a hospital, which lasted almost a year. While he wants to help people, and his persona, Krishna of the Judgment Arcanum, wants him to act more heroically, he's having difficulty.
- The Blacksmith: Has started producing weaponry for other persona users.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Toru's Cain.
- Covered with Scars: His scalp. He always keeps it covered, and his hair is taking a long time to grow in.
- Distressed Dude: Has a habit of ending up in unpleasant situations.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies: Has been shown starting a rooftop garden, forging weaponry, cooking, and making video-journals; allusions have been made to journaling, cryptography (for said journals; he lost the key,) playing bass, and aikido.
- Hindu Mythology: His persona is Krishna of the Judgment Arcanum.
- Guy With A Psycho Weapon: Recently made an Urumi.
- Jumped at the Call: Found information Shin was given on the ruins and proceeded to "jump."
- Leave the Camera Running: Commonly carries a small flip camera which he uses to record everything.
- Lotus Position: a meditation enthusiast.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: His persona, Krishna.
- Nephewism: lives with his uncle, Shin Imoto.
- Never Bare Headed
- Playing with Fire
- Realistic Diction Is Unrealistic: Taken past realistic and into incomprehensible circuitousness sometimes.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Charlie's Red, the Red to Shin's Blue.
- The Quiet One: Effectively — he is the opposite of eloquent.
- Speech Impediment: As a result of the brain damage he suffered in his past.
- Those Two Guys: With Charlie
- The Unintelligible: Sometimes descends into this.
- Warrior Prince: Krishna is this, as well as...
- The Wise Prince
Charles "Charlie" Oliviera
A young man who loves a fight, and cooking a good meal even more, he transferred from Canada after his mother got a job as a foreign idol, after living a strange childhood full of fights, traveling, and fluency in 6 languages. A former delinquent, he tries to change his ways, but trouble always seems to find a way to follow him. His persona, Sun Wukong, is a monkey who ran around beating up and stealing from as many people as he could, until he had been imprisoned and sent to work as a heavenly stable worker, until he was recruited to escort a monk to India.
He may be one of the more normal characters, at least, if a little quirky...
- Ambiguously Brown: He's been mistaken for Japanese, Latino, American, all sorts of things. He speaks Japanese, Korean, Filipino, and Spanish, on top of that. All that's really known is that he's not white.
- Blow You Away: His starting spells were Garu and Bufu, but out of the two, Charles tends to use Garu the most, either making himself run faster, throwing knives hard enough to stick into walls without breaking, cutting things, throwing bears off of his face, or just plain knocking down innocent bystanders with it.
- Bruce Lee: Not only does he paraphrase the water quote, but he also gets a pair of nunchucks, too.
- Chef of Iron: The ability to cook came to Charles as his mother was burning some pasties, and he decided to take over right before the house set on fire, surprising his mother, who immidiately told him to take up cooking instead of being a delinquent. The Iron part, comes from his fighting nature
- Japanese Delinquents: Yes and no. Not actually Japanese, but more or less acts like one. He even does the trademark squat sometimes. However, he's far from anti-social
- Gratuitous Spanish: Used to always be in his speech, but he dropped it with time.
- Groin Attack: Toru's counter after Charles powerbombed him.
- Improbable Weapon User: His character profile even states that he played too much Yakuza and Dead Rising.
- Jerkass Gods: His persona, Sun Wukong, was more or less a delinquent. Complete with the youthful brashness and rowdyness, until someone in a postion of power told him to knock it the hell off. For Wukong, it was a council of gods. For Charles, it was his mother.
- Knife Nut: Even if he has one of his combo weapons, or whatever else, he never leaves home without a balisong.
- Le Parkour: Charles' first appearance; he vaults over another boy, spins around in the air, and punches him right in the face. Not to mention that he tends to make entrances by jumping off of nearby rooftops.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to pretty everyone's Blue. He's not exactly the chill type. And his favorite color is red, too.
- Trickster Archetype: Both Charles and his persona. Wukong in his story pretty much existed only to harass people and escort a monk to India. Charles pretty much exists to fight and break things, and subtly troll others.
- Wrestler in All of Us: In one of his earlier threads, he vertical suplexed Toru into a fountain, followed by a powerbomb, after Toru had attempted to put him into a guard. Later after that, he missile dropkicks a dog off of Eiji.
- Ms. Fanservice: A lesbian tsundere with a great body. She once got turned to a Cat Girl, which had pink hair and a sailor suit. There have been various other occurrences, and more to come.
- Tsundere: Type A.
"I am a monster, Hikaru! A filthy, hateful creature! I want nothing but your death, our sister's death, our father's and our mother's! The whole would will be torn apart by these hands!"
Kyomu Monto is a year one girl, who throughout most of her life was fairly ignored next to her overactive younger brother and overacheiving older sister. As such, she was very lonely
. Not that she cared. In fact she spent most of her time actively avoiding attention, not having many friends and spending her time reading or watching anime or playing videogames. Throughout her time she decided that life had no meaning, so there wasn't any point trying.
Then she got her Persona, Exdea-
She decided that she would use this power and the shadows to destroy the world
, and set out to manipulate others into helping her do so. She has so far managed to only be able to fully manipulate one person, Isoroku, but has since been feeling rather guilty about some of the stuff she did to the other girl...After certain events where she was (temporailry any way) put in a wheelchair she was given Artificial Limbs by a certain Russain. She used these to try and kill Isoroku's boyfriend (Kakeru), who put her in the wheelchair, but ended up making Isoroku do it with one of her Persona's skills. When Isoroku went monster form she let her almost kill her, till Kakeru calmed the other girl down. She believes Isoroku hates her since then, and doesn't speak to her at all (though still likes to watch over her secretly)
Soon after she brought a boy named Kouji
to the ruins, and made a bet with him over whether or not her nihilism was well placed. If Kouji could stick by his beliefs then she would admit she was wrong, but if Kouji lost them he would beg for forgiveness for his lies. Soon after they hooked up
, though Kyomu hasn't addmitted she was wrong yet.
Things were getting better, with Kouji's help. She went to go live with him for a while, though still Exodus said he did not like how things were turning out. Though other then one 'nightmare' where he attacked her, nothing happened. Kyomu decided that she was going to apologise to Isoroku, with Kouji there. The meeting together went well, and Kyomu was happy to find that Isoroku truly didn't hate her. And then Exodus took over, and attempted to kill both Kouji and Isoroku. Kouji was forced to initiate command Alpha Beta, and Kyomu's cyborg limbs fell off. She then went monster form, and attacked everyone in the park. Kouji and Isoroku both went Monster, causing chaos. Kyomu started killing everyone in the park, ignoring Isoroku and Kouji, till other persona users came and stopped her. Aleksandria then came in a helicopter and took her away.During the trip in the helicopter Kyomu expressed her pure hatred for Exodus, and how she realized that she was an monster. Exodus disappeared and was replaced by AM, representing how she views herself. She now has new, better, cybernetic limbs and intends to use them and her new persona to kill everyone, deciding to start with those who were close to her...
- Character Development: Definetely showing the starting signs of it, starting to think of Isoroku to be more of a friend then a tool at least. And then she Descended.
- Creepy Monotone: Sometimes speaks in a monotone, but she usually isn't malicious when doing so. You should be more worried when she she stops... Unless you're Kouji. It has completely gone now due to her Descension.
- Cyborg: Of the Artificial Limbs variety, given to her by a Russian she met in the ruins for free. After losing her first set she got new, better ones. In return for this she is working with Aleksandria.
- Determinator: Strangely for someone like her, she shows this trait at times. She even says she believes strength to be "... The will to push on forwards, always standing by the view that you think is right.". It just so happens that right to her is that the world is pointless, and should be destroyed for it.
- Large Ham: What do you expect, with Exdea- I MEAN EXODUS as her Persona?. And then AM.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Her family is fairly wealthy, and she was rather lonely as a child. She never really cared.
- Nietzsche Wannabe: Her main goal is destroy the world, as life is pointless.
- Ice Queen->Defrosting Ice Queen: She is one, or at least wants to become one. Despite how much she wants to rid of them, emotions exist inside her. She sees them as her flaws. Acts less icy to Kouji and Isoroku, who seem to be the only people she cares about. Now she is no Ice Queen, but she wants to kill everyone close to her. Including Kouji and Isoroku.
- Yandere: To Isoroku at one point. Word of God states that she was confusing platonic love and lust love, as opposed to actually being in love with her. Becomes less so after Isoroku went monster form because of Kyomu, though there's still some traces. And now She wants to kill Isoroku AND Kouji because she wants to cut all ties to her past life, but is finding it incredibly hard to do so.
- Tsundere: Unwittingly acts like this to Kouji, until she realized she was being one to him and asked him to be her boyfriend.
- Opposites Attract: Her and Kouji.
A sixteen-year old boy in his first year of high school who had a very happy childhood and grew up more or less on fairy tales. His most defining characteristic is that he loves everyone. Everyone
His Persona is Cupid
, represented here by a cute
, winged boy
, who is a little snarky
for some reason.
Kinzaki 'Charlotte' Kirihara
Gentle, polite and calm, Kinzaki is an epitome of the ideal Japanese lady
despite being half-French. It's a pity that she doesn't like being touched by men
Takeo is a somewhat rigid person who tries his hardest to follow his code of manners. After his parents died when he was seven, he moved to his grandfather's house just outside of Nagashima.
An affable and friendly
first year student with an inconditional love for math and sciencey stuff. His childhood was quite happy until his father died when he was 12 years old, a loss he never really coped with. Aside from that, he is a pretty normal guy. His Persona is Icarus
of the Magician arcana.
Akira "Aleph" Serizawa
Akira is not exactly what you would call a smart guy. Nor would you call him a nice guy either. A first-year student who dubs himself "Aleph", he doesn't exactly know much about the world around him, and has a extremely bad habit of getting onto peoples' bad sides. Whenever there's trouble, Aleph never hesitates to jump into the fray and try to solve it. If he hasn't messed up your life yet, he'll likely be there to (hopefully) pick up the pieces.
His Persona is Adonis of the Lovers Arcana.
- Adorkable: It's possible that Aleph may be considered this. He isn't very socialized, after all.
- Big Brother Worship: Tries to get just about everyone to like and admire him, sometimes up to the point where they have to practically worship him. Though, it never works. The only person to actually respect him this much is his younger sister, Yuki.
- Buffy Speak: How Aleph talks most of the time. When a conversation's not particularly serious, one can expect him to add a lot of "-y"'s, "-ish"'s, and "-ness"'s to some words. He does this when he tries to express himself in ways that normal words wouldn't achieve the desired effect.
- Insane Troll Logic: Aleph's concept of thought prior to meeting people and making a few friends. Is used to thinking that he's always right, even if he is wrong.
- Socially Inept: Definitely Aleph. This is probably how he manages to get on peoples' bad sides, which is why he tends to walk on eggshells when meeting new people.
A first-year student whose creepiness
, social awkardness
and workaholics parents
have led him to live a lonely life, which almost drove him over the edge when he got his Persona and his parents got assaulted in their home, killing his father and putting his mother into a coma
. While he has his violent impulses and often talks to himself, underneath the hard-to-approach exterior hides a pretty sweet guy and an absolutely massive dork. He's part of the Archangels, under the codename "Oriphiel".
His current Persona is Artorias
of the Moon Arcana.His previous Persona was Hrist, of the same Arcana.
- Abusive Parents: His mother's alright, but his father's quite severe, cold and uncaring towards him. Subverted after the latter's death - Iemoto begins to reconsider his relationship with the man, and starts to think that, maybe, this coldness might have not been pure dickishness for the sake of it.
- Adorkable: Absolutely.
- The Atoner: For some of the pretty unsavory stuff he's done in his life. Joining the Archangels was one of the ways to achieve what he considers as a necessary change in his personalitty.
- Badass Baritone: Has been said to have a pretty deep voice for a boy his age, which adds to his intimidating exterior.
- Black Knight: Thinks of himself as this. Goes hand-in-hand with Dark Is Not Evil.
- Creepy Child: Was one when he was younger.
- Dark Is Not Evil: While he's done some quite nasty stuff for less-than-perfectly-righteous reason and has allied himself (though unknowingly) to Masquerade, he's a decent guy at heart who's joined the Archangels in a genuine attempt to make up for it and help people. His moveset's also based around Ice, Darkness and negative status effects, which are oftentimes linked to evil.
- Knife Nut: Along with Good Old Fisticuffs.
- Megaton Punch: A naturally mean right hook plus an imbuing of Fatal End equals teeth flying.
- Nice Guy: Iemoto's a pretty sweet, upstanding and generous dude deep down once you get to know him.
- Nightmare Fetishist: To an absolutely staggering degree - it's one of the things that make him creepy.
- No Social Skills: Has absolutely no idea of how one's supposed to strike up a conversation aside from absolutely necessary ones. Being a Nice Guy at heart and trying to atone for some of his past sins has helped him bond with some people as of late, however.
- Red Right Hand: Or rather, Black Left Arm after he turns into Monster form.
- The Unsmile: He's gotten better at it, though.
A ginger-haired young butler with aloof demeanor. Currently serves as a butler-in-training of Kirihara family, and Kinzaki Kirihara's
childhood friend. Is actually a girl.
A hard working but very insecure student suffering from low self esteem stemming from a variety of causes but mostly from being overweight. Her motherly caring habits are usually diminished compared to her self-sabotaging or withdrawn tendencies in social situations although she is rather friendly. She spends most of her time trying to fade into the background.
And then she gets a Persona known as the Phooka
(of the Moon Arcana) a giant horselike rabbit inspired from Celtic Mythology
that looks very much like a monstrous Jackalope
because of the antlers. It seems fit to ensure her life is more surreal. Even for the standards of a world with a hidden battle between the manifestations of peoples' psyches and the shadows of humanity's worst traits.
Sayuri provides examples of:
Her Persona provides examples of:
First year at Taiyotono, his homeroom is class 1-5. He bleaches his hair blond wears outrageous colored contacts and has torn the sleeves off his uniform. He has a bombastic and often grating personality and little respect for established authority. Scratch a bit deeper beyond this and you may find he's a bit more sensitive and conscientious than you were lead to believe. Ever since his older brother was gunned down in a convenience store robbery by the father of Daichi Nakamura.
His Persona is Kamina of the Chariot Arcana.
Year 2 Students
I WILL END YOU
Kaede Susaki is a sailor-mouthed, asocial artist who is best known for causing problems among the student populace, being an all-around Jerkass
, and also for formerly leading a large group of Persona users in Nagashima. She prefers to dress androgynously and is often mistaken as a man as a result. Her initial Persona is Skuld
of the Fortune Arcana, while her ascended Persona is Skadi
Though Kaede initially scoffed at the Butterfly rumors, she found herself caught up in them when a Butterfly appeared to her and Akiko and pulled them to the Ruins along with Manabu and Miyuki, which caused her to get directly involved in the incidents revolving around Manabu's awakening. Though she initially had no plans of returning to the ruins after awakening, she ended up becoming the unofficial leader of the first major Persona-user group after Sora and his own group stood behind a more chaotic idea of what their powers should be used for.
As time went on, Kaede's focus was less on combating Sora and more on maintaining the mental health of her comrades and Sora's team as both sides began to feel the strain of their Personae. Her attempts to help Sora led to her encountering him in the ruins after his ascension, leading to a fight between them. The mental strain caused by the fight caused Kaede to awaken to an ability of her Persona's she'd previously been ignorant to: the ability to see the future.
After the Ruwashi Park incident, Kaede decided to relinquish her position of leader and left the community only to start posting cryptic messages of the future on the forum instead.
She eventually chose to return to the Persona community, but no longer makes treks into the ruins, preferring to work on the sidelines as a healer.
Kaji is the local teenage vigilante. Those are in every fictional Japanese town, right? He's cool and collected, but has an undeniable thirst to punish criminals and an odd hero complex. The only person to, so far, find out about his vigilante antics is Kaede Susaki, and she's not telling anyone, so it's possible it'll remain a secret forever.
His persona is Bucephalus
of the Tower arcana.
He started his life in another town, that was filled with Yakuza. He and his friend, Ryoma, were sick of all the violence happening all around them, and decided to dress up in ridiculous costumes and fight crime. Initially, they were rather successful. And then they were actually recognized as a minor threat, and were nearly silenced. One night, they were ambushed by a ridiculous number of men. Kaji let his friend escape and took most of the beating himself. His mom found out the next morning when he was hanging, half dead, from a light post by his cape. She was not really pleased, and sent him to Nagashima to live with his relative.
After an uneventful period of time, going around beating up criminals, Kaji found himself, along with three others, in the ruins. He awakened his persona, and has currently resolved to join Kaede's team, condemning the member of Sora's team as criminals.
Second year goth girl, insomniac and music junkie. Dressed in all black and can usually be found making jokes toward everything and everyone around her when she isn't maintaining her part time job at the Maid Café. She can often be viewed as aloof and uncanny, but with a very good intuition. Her Arcana is Fortune (which might as well be an oxymoron) and her persona is Albus.
Witty. Always witty. If this girl doesn't have a response or…twelve prepared, that’s when you know something is wrong. Though, it would be out of character if she didn't cover up what exactly was the problem. Her public façade can be quite deceiving. She is a very caring individual, but you will see approximately two percent of that. She will instead come off as sadistic, egocentric, and careless…differing from person to person of course. Sakuya is the type that you will often find really caring if you take the time to form a friendship with her however.
This façade is of course a cover-up for a bad past and lots of unhealed scars. None of which Sakuya will persist to fix, what matters to her is at the end of the day she can put her headphones on and drown out the world.
- Ambiguous Disorder: She spends a lot of time covering up any strong emotions she may be feeling, or at least doesn't want you to see them.
- Berserk Button: Just don't bring up her past in general.
- Big Ego, Hidden Depths: She constantly jokes around about other people and flirts, making herself feel above them as well as making herself feel important. This is mostly a cover up for past scars and emotional issues. Otherwise? She just finds it fun, and the reactions make it worth it.
- Character Tic: Taking off one of her headphones to listen to the said person, who had been talking to her beforehand, even though her volume is typically not loud enough to over shadow the person's voice (and she probably clearly heard what they said before) she will sarcastically respond. "Eh...?"
- Deadpan Snarker
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Music is a quick relief for her. It’s cathartic and almost a drug.
- Iconic Item: Her Headphones. She is always wearing those, even at unnecessary and unreasonable times.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
- Kansai Regional Accent: Sakuya is very guilty of this.
- Stepford Snarker
- The Insomniac
- Tsundere: Type A is debatable. This is especially noticeable when people actually return her constant joking and flirting.
One of the school's resident playboys, Satosu Hasha is a suave, charming young man who happens to have the attention of damn near every girl in the school. Including those who already have boyfriends. And some of the guys.
His charming face is just a facade, however: he enjoys stringing people around as though they were his playthings, never really intending to get into a relationship with them. He constantly teases girls, while never actually getting into a relationship. That would just hurt their feelings when they realized he was just screwing with them all along. And that could hurt his reputation. His persona is Narcissus
of the Judgement Arcana.
He awakened to his persona along with a few others, going ahead and fighting some bird monsters with sword hands while he was at it. He didn't really do much with his powers until Kaede's group was formed, which he joined if only to keep up his reputation. Nowadays, he's mostly checking up on Sora's team, to see if any of them are as evil as they seem. He's also been busy helping out Miyuki get over here fear of close contact after Manabu attempted to park his car in her garage.
Ryouta is rather infamously known as the unluckiest boy at Taiyoutono high. His track record of unlucky escapades range from simply tripping over his shoelaces, to making anvils fall from the sky when there was no clear high point nearby for them to be dropped off of.
Still, despite all of his life's shortcomings, Ryouta generally retains an attitude of relentless optimism, holding out for the day when his luck finally turns around. At this point, it still seems to be a long ways away. His Persona, Guan Ping
, is currently on a mission to make Ryouta stronger and more self sufficient.
- Born Unlucky: And how.
- The Pollyanna: Despite all the awful stuff he goes through, Ryouta almost always tries to keep a positive attitude, though there have been occasions where he's had small breakdowns.
- Yank the Dog's Chain
"Oh yes, certainly— er, what were we talking about again?"
Ryoichi is one of the more normal students at the school, despite being a member of the infamous "Ryotrio". He's ridiculously forgetful, but manages to ace tests due to his ridiculous luck. When he was younger, his cousin Yuzuki lived with him, and they were both friends with Ayane. His Persona is Ebisu of the Sun Arcana, which manifests itself as a leech-bodied fisherman.When he was younger, he watched Ayane's family be murdered from his bedroom window. The shock of the incident caused him to violently repress his memories of it, leading to his present memory issues. His memories become unrepressed during an encounter with Yuzuki, causing him to take his monster form and nearly kill Yuzuki. Though she lived, he's convinced himself that he actually killed her, and thanks to Sora, has begun a policy of killing new Persona users before they can become involved to save them.
Later, he's one of the many Persona users to catch Hoculus. After Sora visits him, he has an epiphany and decides that he wants to dedicate himself to protecting his friends, prompting his Persona's ascension into Okuninushi.
Sora is one of Taiyoutono's many attractive males. Unfortunately for the entire student body however, he is also a complete douche bag. Sora makes it seem like he almost goes out of his way to be a terrible person. He's been caught selling drugs before, stealing, and is most infamous for leaving a trail of broken hearts throughout the school.
There is little justification that he gives for his actions other than the standard "The world is a terrible place"
, and that he's just playing his part. A look into his history reveals he's from a very long line of criminals, traceable back to the feudal era. His parents, being a part of this bloodline, were less than stellar role models. Due to the events of his childhood and the genetic code he carries, Sora believes that he literally has no other choice than to be evil. It's been implied that that may not be entirely true.
He's one of the wild cards on the forum, and as such, has more than one Persona. He has a strange Egyptian like reptile named Nu, and what is essentially a European sex fairy named Gancanagh. He also has Amatsu-Mikaboshi, a persona with powerful almighty skills, and resolved into Lucifer.
As of now, after a brief period of flirting with insanity and succumbing to his evil side, even resolving to Lucifer, Sora's decided to try being nice for a change after some people try to talk sense into him.
- An Axe to Grind: An Axe is his weapon of choice. The weapon in question just so happens to be the same axe his uncle murdered a bunch of people with.
- Bishōnen: Sora uses this to his advantage to manipulate women.
- Break Them by Talking: A favorite tactic of White Text Sora.
- Friends with Benefits: It would seem that Sora often had a relationship like this with his past girlfriends. Chances are likely that he's never been in a real romantic relationship before.
- In the Blood: One of the reasons Sora is (or pretends to be) evil.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: It's either that or he's secretly a nice guy. This issue hasn't been resolved yet.
Kumori Yatsu in a rare moment of consciousness.
Most of Kumori's classmates don't realize that he exists, and they do, then they probably only remember him by face or by rumours. After all, it's rather hard to get to know someone who sleeps through nearly all of his classes. Though completely unmotivated, he is at the top of his class
on account of his sheer intelligence alone. Behind his facade, he is a kind and considerate individual and overall one of the more normal students, almost to an unnatural degree
. His Persona is the mythological hero Achilles
, who he gets along fairly well with. He tends to explore the ruins on his own, not choosing to take a side
in the Sora versus Kaede conflict due to his unwillingness
to get into direct conflict with his fellow classmates. In fact, when he does bump into people in the ruins, he tends to help them as best he can regardless of faction.
Haruka Rin would seem to be the example of the perfect student. Her grades are excellent, her parents are both wealthy lawyers, she takes care of her appearance, and she often excels in the activities she participates in. The problem? Haruka is a schizophrenic. As a result the girl has little sense of identity left, only grasping onto fragments of her old self. It's unclear whether or not her voices reflect what she is personally feeling, or if they are independent of her real thoughts.
She currently has not aligned herself with either faction, though she tends to explore more with members of Kaede's team. Haruka finds the whole situation to be rather foolish. A certain awkward care has been shown for Manabu, whom she now has shown a desire to protect. This is likely due to the incident that happened between the two earlier.
Her Persona is a rather literal interpretation of her schizophrenia, taking the form of a group of corpse like humans.
- Driven to Suicide: It's heavily implied, if not outright stated, that Haruka has tried to kill herself before. Likely a result of her voices twisting her perception on reality.
- Hearing Voices: Quite often really. Represented by smaller, colored text interspersed between the actual narration.
- Ice Queen: She often can act rather coldly to people, which can likely be blamed on her fragmented personality. It also helps that she is predominately aligned with Ice type spells.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: It's been implied that her voices have compelled her to attack people before, though the most recent example came when she tried to kill Manabu with a broken beer bottle. The ringer? She did it because they convinced her it was helping him.
- The Schizophrenia Conspiracy: Mostly averted. The Role Player is doing her best to portray Haruka as a realistic Schizophrenic. Of course, not being a doctor or expert on the disease, some slips are bound to be made.
Seemingly a straight-laced young man who doesn't have a family, doesn't bother anyone, and participates in a variety of school activities. He also happens to be living on autopilot until he gets irritated, or notices that he has feelings of any variety — at which point, he tends to become rather violent.
- Aztec Mythology: His original persona was Tezcatlipoca, the Smoking Mirror.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: practices Xingyiquan.
- Blow You Away
- Brown Note: The Voice of Tezcatlipoca, which only Toru can hear.
- Body Horror: So much.
- Cain and Abel: Towards Naoya; not actually brothers, but the two were once very close.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Eldritch Abomination: His persona, both before and after decension.
- Enemy to All Living Things
- Enemy Within: Zig-Zagged. Was not outright malicious, though maybe a bit of a jerkass before Awakening, but has insisted that he is not under anything's control.
- Evil Smells Bad: Has moved into the ruins, where there are no showers or working bathrooms.
- Evil Mentor: Is trading information for provisions with a newer persona user.
- Expy: A villainous version of Meursault, from The Stranger.
- Fallen Hero: Originally protected Naoya from a group of bullies. Then something went wrong.
- For the Evulz: Admittedly doesn't understand his own motivations. Seems to be mainly a result of simply a very bad case of Lack of Empathy.
- God of Evil: His new Persona, Ahriman the De-Creator
- I'm Having Soul Pains: Almost all the characters hear their personae speaking at some point. Toru's persona causes him immense pain when it speaks.
- Life Drain
- Man Bites Man
- Mind Rape
- Obviously Evil
- Omnicidal Maniac: Attempting to destroy the city by destroying the ruins beneath it.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Shout-Out: Named for the main character of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
- The Soulless: Essentially Empty Shell with an extra helping of violence.
- The Unfettered
- Would Hurt a Child
- Zoroastrianism: His new persona is Ahriman, the supreme evil in Zoroastrian mythology.
Yuuto "Yuu" Hayashi
A half-Japanese, half-British boy with eccentric habits, Yuuto was raised by his parents in a rather unconventional manner, encouraging him to just be himself
. This ended up making him a social pariah when he entered school, giving him a desire for friendship and approval even as he became an introvert. When Yuuto's father was offered a higher-paying job at Roketto University in Nagashima, his family moved there and enrolled him in Taiyoutono High, where he became the only male member of Taiyoutono's Cooking Club. His Persona is Eros, of the Lovers Arcana.
Yuuto's initial experience with Personae has not been very positive. He nearly got mauled by a Shadow in the Ruins, and saw the aftermath of the violent altercation in the park.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Only when he's not focused on cooking or art.
- Bi the Way: Implied in his profile. (Another equally plausible answer to the implications is that Yuu is a Hermaphrodite, but the former is a far more likely and obvious explanation.)
- Blow You Away
- Break the Cutie: Yuuto's experiences from the time after he got his Persona have not been very fun for him.
- But Not Too Foreign: Yuuto is half-Japanese, half-British. This made him the target of discrimination in primary school.
- Classical Mythology: His Persona is Eros, god of love and desire.
- Cloudcuckoolander: His profile describes him as having his head eternally in the clouds and the subtitle for his profile outright calls him one by name.
- Combat Medic: Eros has both healing spells and damaging spells in his arsenal.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: To the degree that he's inflicted Stupid Sexy Flanders syndrome upon four people at once.
- Expy: Of Severin from Fragile.
- Glass Cannon: Eros has good attack skills, magic and debuffs, nullifies Water and resists Wind. However, he is weak to three elements at once, including Darkness.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: But his fear of rejection makes it hard for him.
- The Klutz
- Making a Splash: His main elemental specialization is Water, which gives him an extra-strong spell in this element: Blue Impact.
- Squishy Wizard: Has no actual combat skill, forcing him to rely on his Persona for offense. This comes back to bite him in the ass when he gets attacked by a zombie-like Shadow: he is unable to fend it off until he hits it with magic, and it nearly ends up strangling him.
- Supreme Chef
- Thinking Out Loud: Common for him.
The only introduced member of Taiyoutono's school newspaper, Rio has a penchant for drug use, zero tact, and more money than she should.
Just a simple country boy. Eiji lived an uneventful life with his extended family out in the country, but eventually grew weary of it, wanting to experience the excitement that is going to school in the city. Naturally, the closest city was Nagashima.
Toma is a relatively normal 17 year old who lives with his mother after she and his father broke up. When he was younger Toma was violent boy who often got into trouble because of it, but later became less so when his teacher taught him to calm himself via the chewing of toothpicks
. He vowed not to fight another person again to his teacher when he left for High School, a vow he has kept so far. He still, however, can be easily angered by most things, an anger which he sometimes struggles to contain.
His Persona is Daigoro
, a dog-like creature who is seemingly incapable of talking. It constantly growls at him, except when he is fighting or in the ruins, and is the personification of his supressed violent tendencies. It is starting to drive him crazy, causing him to become even more angrier then before, and he wishes to find a way that he could get rid of it and all the Personae forever.
- Badass Bookworm: There's not much a guy with one arm can do, but his books have never failed him in the past.
- Brutal Honesty: Even if it comes out wrong, Matro will never hide the truth.
Seiichi is not a very nice guy. Anti-social, sarcastic, and rude, Seiichi is very unlikely to get along with you. His Persona is Erlang Sheng
of the Moon Arcana.
One of the local delinquents at Taiyoutono, Itsuki is rude, loudmouthed and loves to fight. However, beneath the asshole exterior lies a man with a troubled past and a heap of issues. His persona is Garm
, of the Chariot Arcana.
- An Ice Person
- Armored Closet Gay
- Blood Knight: Fighting makes him feel more alive.
- But Not Too Foreign: Itsuki is part-Russian, part-Japanese.
- Casanova Wannabe: He hits on girls to prove he's straight.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Cutlass Between the Teeth: Garm fights with a sword between his teeth.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He lost his mother to childbirth, and when word of his sexuality got out he was beaten up for being gay.
- Expy: Itsuki is an expy of Kanji, while Garm is an expy of Great Gray Wolf Sif.
- Freak Out: After getting hit by a Fear spell, he experiences a flashback to his traumatic past and curls up on the ground, terrified, before snapping and ordering Garm to kill everyone. Garm charges into battle, wildly swinging his blade and foaming at the mouth.
- Glass Ninja: Garm is great on the offensive and is very fast, but his defense is a bit lacking.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?
- Japanese Delinquents
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Despite being a quarrelsome delinquent, he is capable of being a decent person, such as when he offers to help Kaya and her mother with the motorcycle they were fixing before delinquents smashed it up.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: He says "fuck" and "shit" quite often.
- Shout-Out: Garm has an ultimate attack called "Howling Hazard", the name of an attack used by Valkyrie Profile boss Fenrir.
- Straight Gay
An exchange student and former a member of a criminal family, Harkens is not known to be a paragon of either normality or morality. A young man with a rather unusual sense of humor and an at times contradictory nature. His persona is Gaius Caligula of the Justice Arcana.
- Affably Evil: Generally tries to be reasonable and friendly towards others, despite being relatively amoral.
- Catchphrase: "You get to call me Harkens."
- Deadpan Snarker: Is quick to talk back to to others and try to make a joke out of almost any situation.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Once a member of a family involved in the criminal underworld of Reno who made money off of drug dealing.
- Only Known By His Nickname: Generally has others address him as Harkens, only occasionally making mentions of his real name.
- Stepford Snarker: Generally prefers to suppress most of his emotions in favor of humor.
A painfully shy bespectacled
girl who loves to read and has a Photographic Memory
. After taking a level in badass
, she becomes more confident and starts working as a part-time model. Now in relationship with Kakeru.
Sukeban from Osaka
Nana is an infamous former sukeban
, and student of Taiyoutono. Once one of the most feared delinquents in the school, she went straight after her father was killed in a car accident. After receiving her Persona, she starts acting the mentor to Ryuunosuke and helps him both rescue Hotaru and gain a new confidence in himself.After the incident in the park, she took control of her old gang once more and began attacking stray Persona users in hope of gaining information. Her death was predicted by the Oracle, and she was narrowly saved from being lynched by her own gang.When her right hand woman from her old gang awakens to a Persona and is subsequently killed, Nana goes into monster form and has to be knocked out of it by Ryuunosuke and Kira. This incident leads her to decide to forcibly take over her old gang once more and then secretly begin uniting all of the other gangs of Nagashima in an attempt to keep the peace. Her tactics have not been particularly well received thus far.
Her Persona is Izanami
of the Death Arcana.
- Affably Evil: Keeps up her jovial manner even after decapitating a man in broad daylight and deciding to unite the warring gangs of Nagashima into one large one.
- Big Brother Mentor: Takes it upon herself to be this for Ryuunosuke.
- Japanese Delinquents: Formerly, anyways. She's still known as both "Wooden Sword" Nana and Lady Banchou among delinquent circles.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Sincerely believes this, but lacks the funds to actually buy one, which leads to...
- Kansai Regional Accent
- Killed Off for Real
- Otaku: Self admitted Samurai Otaku, though it may be more accurate to describe her as a samurai wannabe.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Tends to come off as this to her classmates, due to her insistence on using a Kansai dialect despite living in Nagashima.
- The Lad-ette
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: In Viewing at Dawn, she reveals that she intends to unite the warring gangs of Nagashima in order to keep the city safe... even if it means killing people.
- The Extremist Was Right: She argues that her methods, while unpleasant, have kept the city safe. Tsukasa, Kira and Ayane disagree: surprisingly, Kuzuki sides with her.
Nana: "It's impossible to stop all the crime and all that back here. I ain't aimin' for that. What I'm bringin' is control. And I've brought it. Look around. Because of me, this place has gone from the most dangerous place in the city to one of the safest. There's been no muggin' people as they go t' work, no vandalism, no drugs bein' sold, not without our approval."
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Though it's easy to believe her green hair is dyed due to her delinquent nature, it's actually completely natural.
The younger of a set of identical twins, Yu is an uptight enforcer of school rules and a member of the Student Council. He and his brother are orphans and have moved through foster homes for years, until finally ending up in Nagashima. His Persona is Romulus.
- Big Brother Instinct: He may be the younger of the twins, but that doesn't stop him from doing anything he can to try and protect Makoto. He doesn't realize that this tendency of his has essentially turned Makoto against him.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Makoto's Cain.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Freudian Excuse: Grew up in the foster system and went through a lot of abusive households before moving into the Taiyoutono dorms. Also killed one of his adoptive fathers and framed his adoptive mother for it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Considered a complete douchebag by just about everyone, but genuinely cares for his brother and tends to soften up a bit when around Miyuki (who's probably his only friend).
- Sibling Yin-Yang: His outward personality is the complete opposite of Makoto's, being rather cold and unconforming, whereas Makoto is warm and friendly. When their true selves come though, though, they tend to match up more than you'd think.
- Twin Switch: Does this frequently with Makoto. Honestly can't remember which twin he actually is.
The older of a set of identical twins, Makoto is the complete opposite of his brother and rather casual about life in general. He's a bit of a charmer and rather popular with the students, as well as a member of the student council. Despite all of the success he's had in comparison to Yu, he feels like no one takes him seriously and is rather jealous of his much more serious brother. His Persona was Remus but later ascended to Brutus
after he recovered from Hoculus.
- Cain and Abel: The Cain to Yu's Abel.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Freudian Excuse: Grew up in the foster system and went through a lot of abusive households before moving into the Taiyoutono dorms. Also killed one of his adoptive fathers and framed his adoptive mother for it.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: His outward personality is the complete opposite of Yu's, being rather warm and friendly, whereas Yu is cold and unconforming. When their true selves come though, though, they tend to match up more than you'd think.
- Twin Switch: Does this frequently with Yu. He's actually the real Yu, but he holds up the Makoto personality as a benefit for Yu.
A rather brash and snarky
girl of 17 who is relatively sane and balanced despite her attitude. While her behavior is cold and aloof most of the time, her kinder, gentler side shows from time to time, especially around her friends. She is also an indie electronic music artist, releasing tracks under the alias of Indigo Summer.
Her Persona is Pele of the Lovers Arcana.
- Action Fashionista: She uses practical outfits when she goes Ruins-diving, though.
- Blood Knight: Finds the slaying of Shadows actually quite enjoyable.
- Cool Big Sis: Slightly, towards Chika.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Since she is most associated with the elements of fire and lightning, it would be more Defrosting Fire Queen, but the effect is the same.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She takes off her shoes and socks whenever she can get away with it (and when it isn't impractical, of course). Leads to a bit of Foot Focus.
- Girly Bruiser: Has a pronounced love for clothes and make-up, but she's a competent at using her Persona in battle nonetheless.
- Headphones Equal Isolation
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Somewhat grumpy and aloof, especially towards strangers, and she has a pretty sharp tongue. Still, she's got a very strong sense of right and wrong and cares a great deal about her loved ones.
- Official Couple: With Shane.
- Parents as People: A big part of her character arc.
- Playing with Fire
- Reclusive Artist: She REALLY doesn't want people to learn about her work as Indigo Summer.
- Shock and Awe
- Smoking Is Cool: Well, smoking is not necessarily cool per se, but she is a smoker.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Strangers'll get the ice. Friends will get the sugar (with some ice on top).
- Teen Pregnancy: The offspring of one. She doesn't care all that much.
A girl with a tragic past involving prostitution, sadism, and every member of her family dying a really unpleasant death, the result being that she's more or less scarred for life. While a fundamentally good person, the resentment she feels toward the world and her aimless, suppressed desire to make others understand the pain she feels has manifested as an unusually repugnant, and very much malevolent, Persona.
Chika's initial Persona, of the Hanged Man Arcana, is Tisiphone—one of the Greek "Erinyas," or "Furies."
- Blood Knight: The need to fight things, or more specifically to cause pain to things, is rather like a drug addiction for Chika. She channels this desire into fighting Shadows so as not to hurt actual people if she can help it.
- Broken Bird: To the point where she consciously considers herself "broken."
- Dark and Troubled Past: Boy oh boy is it dark and troubled to the nth.
- Dark-Skinned Redhead: She has red hair and dark skin, but she doesn't really show any of the personality traits usually shared by characters fitting this trope... mostly all it means is "she has dark skin and red hair."
- Demonic Possession: At one point, Chika's Persona took control of her and dragged her to the Mysterious Ruins despite her confinement to a wheelchair. What transpired that night was very much not pretty.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Pretty much Chika's reaction to anyone who asks if she's alright because of how not-alright she generally seems to be, although if she perceives a person as understanding some part of what she feels, she might actually react with some level of civility instead.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Let's see you sell your body to a sadist for months on end and not come out of the experience as a complete cynic. Go on. Try it. I DARE YOU.
"I~ see~ a~ poser~" - Kefka Palazzo
An immigrant from the United States with a love of dressing up like a videogame character, his style unabashedly similar to that seen in the Devil May Cry
series. Though there's a somewhat decent dude buried in there somewhere, he's largely just a guy who loves doing things and saying things that make him feel cool, from wisecracking to vigilantism.
Shane's initial Persona, of the Star Arcana, is Yamato... that ghostly blue thing that appears behind Nero in Devil May Cry 4 when he enters Devil Trigger form.
- Agent Peacock: Not quite a pretty-boy character, but fits the trope in pretty much every other way.
- Bond One-Liner: He makes a lot of these, even if there's no one around but himself to hear them.
- Expy: Shane is a deliberate expy of Dante... from DmC: Devil May Cry, specifically.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: There's a decent human being in there somewhere, drowning in hairdye. Probably.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: Almost every vaguely nice thing Shane does is for an utterly vain or sometimes even assholish reason.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: His is dyed, though. He sometimes feels jealous of those with naturally blue/white/green/etc. colored hair.
The almost perpetually grumpy but socially intelligent Year 2 student that rarely gets close to others. However he's fascinated with behavior and usually adopts peoples habits to mock others. Before awakening to the ruins he already had a persona
: his Secret Identity
feminine alter ego that eventually became known as Iseya Inari. At the core of Yuuki's aloofness is bad experiences from family and other schools from being intersex, an ambiguously gendered person. Thus his cold and stiff masculine half contrasts with the more impulsive and outlandish Inari personality he takes to when wandering the town at night.
Being an inverted take on the Fool Arcana, Yuuki's first persona is Shyster.
- Generic Graffiti: Picked it up during the 'nightly romps' but isn't very artistic.
- The Insomniac: Claims to be the reason for wandering around Nagashima at night.
- Jerkass Façade: Before high school determined that keeping a jerkish personality would keep others from discovering his secrets.
- Lost in Character: When adopting another identity.
- The Napoleon: More of his aggressive masculinity (even as Inari) stems from being rather short and scrawny for a boy.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: Was raised as a girl before being a boy, the shift bringing trouble in some of Yuuki's earlier school years.
- Secret Chaser: Began bugging Seiji about his weapons before finding out about the Persona battles.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Shaping up to be drinks with ginger. Notably via ginger tea as his 'default' self and ginger soda as Inari
- Weak, but Skilled: Physically weaker than average but very shrewd and clever.
- Wig, Dress, Accent: How Inari differs from Yuuki; different hair and clothes combined with a voice lighter in pitch.
- Working Through The Cold: Frequently prone to being sick from a lower immunity and hormone imbalance from his intersex condition.
- Wrong Genetic Sex: Being intersex, both male and female.
Shyster provides examples of:
A transfer student who is actually a young, aspiring novelist. Often talks in shorthand
and always keeps a stoic and deadpan expression
. Despite being a novelist, she's rather forgetful
and has a strange mental process
. But beneath her Cloudcuckoolander
tendency and stoic demeanor
, she's genuinely a Nice Girl
who is willing to help others. Her Persona is Mnemosyne, the Titaness of Memories
- Beauty Mark
- The Fashionista: Downplayed. She's quite a fashionable girl, but not excessively.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Named after Haruki Murakami, a contemporary Japanese author. Also a case of Prophetic Names due to her being a novelist herself.
- Nice Girl: Despite her eccentricity, she's genuinely a Nice Girl who is willing to help others and also wishes the best for everyone around her.
- Pen Name: Due to her age, she uses Pen Name for her written works. Her most preferred one is Sion Schindler, which actually sounds rather ridiculous for a Japanese writer.
- Power Incontinence: Suffers a mild case of this. Due to her power, her body regularly releases static shock, causing electronic devices to malfunction whenever she's around them. Seems to lessen over time, but the incontinence still shows up once in a while.
- Simple Staff: She used to wield a wooden bo, which was damaged while encountering Shadows in the ruins. She replaced it with a metal staff, which is sturdier than the wooden one.
- Shock and Awe: Her main element.
- Squishy Wizard: She spends most of her time indoor and her body is skinny and rather small for a girl her age. Very unathletic. But being a Persona-user who can unleash electric discharge, she qualifies.
- The Stoic: Actually invoked. She's a normal girl who can express herself properly, but she thinks that being The Stoic makes her look cooler. She sometimes slips up, occasionally acting like The Tease or a Genki Girl.
- Terse Talker: Invoked again. She can actually speak normally, but she likes talking in shorthand because she wants to appear mysterious and different compared to other people around her.
- True Blue Femininity: Sio is definitely a Girly Girl, and her clothes are mostly (dark) blue in color.
Year 3 Students
Probably one of the least insane characters in the city. Beyond a strange preference for wearing boxers, she's got very normal hobbies and reasons for having those hobbies. The strangeness around her HAS played its part in her development as a person, and she's a bit of a coward, but she is definitely one of the more stable personalities and friendly when not going through a rough patch.
She was one of the first few Persona users that discovered groups of users other then their own existed. Her attempts to put out a fire and break up a fight by using her control of water was caught by several others, including Kaji and Manabu, and she later confessed and apologized (she unintentionally burned Tsukasa's hand with her water magic, unaware of the redhead's vulnerability). Recently, she learned of a 'Miss Yellow' from Kyousuke, and intends on informing the rest of the "good guy" group.
Her Persona is Otohime of the Strength Arcana, a goddess from Japanese folklore. She fights using a sword, but is also prone to breaking out a fire ax when the fight gets too heated.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Normally calm, friendly, and the sanest of the bunch. She also has problems caused by repressing her anger, which really shows when hit with a Charm spell or other mental status ailment. Just ask Sora. It got worse when she thought Chouko killed Tsukasa, causing her to transform into her monster form and rampage after her. It was only Ryouta's attempts to talk her down and the discovery Tsukasa was going to be alright that she finally cooled down.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's the daughter of an American couple, but otherwise is a Japanese native. She's spent every summer in the north west with her grandparents, and considers it her second home.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: The reason she got into this mess, and likely why she'll stay.
- Combat Medic: Her Skill set makes her an excellent healer/buffer, but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.
- Cowardly Lion: First person to want to run, but always last to leave the fight.
- Cute Monster Girl/Half-Human Hybrid: Her attempt to forcibly regain control of herself during her monster transformation left her with a pair of wings and a tail, along with long, wire-like black hair. Until she accepts her shadow, she won't be able to get rid of them, either.
- Deadpan Snarker: Though she's usually polite enough to keep it to herself, she has little tolerance for idiocy or craziness.
- Even the Girls Want Her: For no immediately apparent reason, she gets more female valentines then male. Girls seem to have trouble telling she's not a boy, despite her appearance not being remotely masculine outside her state of dress and demeanor/height. It's to the point she genuinely worries she looks like a dude.
- Expy: Kira herself is not one, but her monster form is blatantly based on the Wild Force Batalizer and Grieger Mode Megaman in appearance, and the Raincoat Killer in personality.
- Fragile Speedster: Lacks physical strength, but is noted as being one of the fastest members of the Track and Field club.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Secretly resents the people she helps for getting in trouble in the first place, forcing her to risk her neck or put up with a snowball of wacky hijinks by pulling them out. Hates herself for feeling this way.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Subverted. She's not very good with a sword, and doesn't even like it. She only sticks with swords because it's easier to carry a kendo stick in public than concealing her preferred weapon.
- Meaningful Name/Punny Name: Kira means light, sun, and glittering depending on language, but also bares a resemblance to the Gaelic name for 'Lady of Dark Beauty', hinting at her conflicting personality traits. More directly, Kameko is the Japanese word for tortoise, a symbol for long life ("He who fights and runs away...").
- Memetic Sex Goddess: Her popularity in the shipping summary topic has earned her the nickname 'Kargo' amongst the forum goers.
- Ordinary Highschool Student: One of the few non-crazies/weirdos in Taiyoutono High. If you don't count her occasional preference for Boxers over panties.
- Parental Abandonment: Not as bad as most cases. Her parents are workaholics with long hours to support their lifestyles, so she doesn't see them often. Her older sister tried to step in to fulfill that role, with mixed results, and her 'family' in the US helped substitute. She still spends time with them, and doesn't entirely mind the gap.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Straddles the line. She's normally Blue Oni, thinking logically and letting people who say "it's not what it looks like" try to explain. When it comes to helping people or something sets off her fight/flight response, however, she acts distinctly Red Oni.
- Technical Pacifist: She won't start a fight, but she'll sure as hell end one. More directly, she has a strong aversion to killing someone, but not beating them up.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Her life was getting pretty crappy when Chouko started stalking her, but even with all that she was able to start a steady relationship with Ryouta. The fact he has a girlfriend who is willing to go through all his bad luck to be with him means this can apply to him too.
The town's local cowboy, as if Nagashima wasn't odd enough. Has a habit of calling people nicknames they don't want, has a ton of guns, and is fucking his cousin
- Embarrassing First Name: Akiko is actually male, despite his girly name. However, he doesn't seem to mind being called by it.
The current President of Taiyoutono High's Student Council. Generally presenting herself as an energetic and bubbly individual, Yuzuki tends to inspire either frustration or cheer depending on her audience. While some might doubt her competence, she is definitely up to the job of representing her fellow students. Along with childhood friends Ayane and Ryoichi,
she suffered a traumatic experience in her youth when the Hitomi family was senselessly murdered by the yakuza. As such, her boundless energy is just a cover for a more malevolent and savvy personality.
A wallflower by habit, Sotare is an intelligent, sarcastic student who would sooner have everyone run from him like the plague then carry an hour-long conversation.
- Bookworm: The walls of his room might as well just be bookshelves.
- Creature of Habit: Although new developments are giving him reason to change that.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: To the point that he doesn't even bother to remember other people's names unless he's aware that he'll have to use it later.
- Refusal of the Call: When he first gained his powers, his new magical side conflicted so much with his scientific norms that his mind locked up for three days.
- Surrounded by Idiots: At the moment, he firmly believes this. Some characters aren't making it any better. Subverted in him not being an antagonist.
- The Grim Reaper: Yep, Sotare's persona is in fact, Death.
- The Quiet One
"I... I don't want anyone else to die because of me. I killed mommy... And daddy... I don't want to kill you too, Kira. You're like my sister... I love you. So p-please... run..."
Kyousuke is not exactly the sanest person in Nagashima. Spoiled from a young age by rich parents, they didn't notice that their child appeared to have some severe mental problems. Once they hit hard times, they began to notice, but have only been passing it off as a phase. Kyousuke does everything and anything he thinks is fun, and barely even achknowledges the fact that other things exist if something's grabbed his attention. He's almost childlike, and has been described as a hyperactive puppy. A hyperactive puppy that happens to be able to control monsters and has nuclear powers.
After awakening to his persona, Kyousuke was contacted by Ms. Yellow, along with Sora, and ordered to keep people out of the ruins. Kyousuke didn't really know what to make of it, other than that he got to fight people, which was always fun. He's been hanging around with Sora's group and fighting people in the ruins, along with random shadows. He also has his own pet shadow, an enormous snake that he calls Niggles. Niggles can shoot eye lasers.It is eventually revealed that his persona, Gilgamesh, is prompting him to play a "game" in which he kills people he finds in the ruins. Kyousuke does not truly know what it means to die or kill someone, so he goes ahead with it, not knowing the consequences of his actions. Eventually, his persona tells him to play this game with his parents, which he does. Kyousuke is then on the run from the police, confused and scared as to what is going on. During all this, Ms. Yellow gives him strange new abilities that are immensely powerful, but hurt horribly to use. Soon enough, he goes back to her, and she seemingly fixes the problem. Eventually, it gets through to him that he has killed his own parents and they are never coming back. He goes monster form, but is restrained.That's when Ms. Yellow walks in. She reveals that Kyousuke is not fully fixed, and that the damage done to him from his spells is now internal. The effect is now even worse, because energy is building up in his body that will eventually cause him to explode. Kyousuke goes into hiding, but comes back when Kira is about to be killed by the Gunman. He ascends and kills the Gunman, but pleads with Kira to flee before he explodes so she won't die in the crossfire. Kyousuke dies, and leaves all his possessions in Kira's hands.However, later Kyousuke reappears in the ruins, having been revived by Ms. Yellow for reasons unknown.
- Back from the Dead
- Big Eater: Not Kyousuke himself, but his persona is shown eating a whole pineapple.
- Blood Knight
- Cool Bike: Its first appearance was Kyousuke crashing it through a window... and then falling off it.
- Duct Tape for Everything: He attempted to reattach his hand with the stuff. Also, he tried to tie up Kira with it.
- I Love Nuclear Power: Kyousuke's main weapon of choice, when he's not using his BFS, are nuclear spells.
- Laughing Mad
- Monster from Beyond the Veil
- Parental Abandonment: Subverted, Kyousuke's parents coddled him way too much, which somehow helped him go crazy.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Redemption Equals Death
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Kyousuke's family was rich, and tended to spoil him like crazy. That was one of the factors, along with his already in place mental problems, that turned him into who he is today.
- White Hair, Black Heart: White haired, insane and psycho
Chouko is a third year student at Taiyoutono. Though she appears normal, she has experienced a fair amount of trauma over her life, culminating in a rather obsessive personality, in which she has a tendency to attach herself to others in order to "protect" them.
Her Persona is Arachne
of the Devil Arcana.
When Chouko was younger, she had a haughtier personality, which led to her and her sister being attacked over some comments she made. Though her attackers hadn't meant to hurt them as badly as they did, the end result of the fight led to Chouko's sister dying, and Chouko having to go through therapy in order to regain use of her legs. A few years later, she entered a relationship with a boy from school. A few months after they'd been dating, the boyfriend was stabbed to death in front of Chouko's eyes in a mugging. This caused her to undergo a complete psychotic break, causing her to gain her new obsessive personality.
She recently began dating Sora Mori after they awakened to their Personas together in the ruins. She seems oblivious to the fact that she obviously terrifies him, despite the fact that she dismembered a woman Sora had been ogling so that he would know not to cheat on her. She views anyone who acts too familiar with Sora a threat, man or woman, and would gladly give her life to protect him... or give his life so that he would be "protected" as well.After Sora breaks up with her to protect her, Chouko follows him to the ruins and gets involved in a fight between Sora and Ryouta. During the fight, Ryouta stabs Chouko and accidentally kills her.
- Break the Haughty: Occurred in her backstory, turning her into the Chouko we know and love today.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Uses one of the meat cleavers from Cooking Club as a weapon.
- Go Out with a Smile
- Killed Off for Real
- Lethal Chef: Despite being in the Cooking Club, she's completely incapable of cooking anything edible.
- Small Role, Big Impact: She was only around for a few threads before she died, but her death set into motion several major plot arcs, including Sora's fall to his darker self and Suzume's revenge quest.
- Speech Impediment: Chouko speaks with a rather noticeable (and grating) stutter. Sometimes it gets so bad she can't even finish her sentences. It disappears when she goes into full-on Yandere mode.
- Stepford Smiler: Hides her mental issues under a stutter and a smile.
- Trauma Conga Line: Sister and her get beaten nearly to death, escape, get hit by a car, Chouko goes into therapy, sister becomes a vegetable and later dies, Chouko recovers, Chouko dates boy, boy gets mugged to death...
- Yandere: Acts crazy-possessive towards Sora to the point of dismembering a woman Sora had his eyes on.
Katsurou is the school's Mad Scientist
. He may not act like a mad scientist, but he certainly has no problem blowing the crap out of the school's science lab...repeatedly
. As such with the intelligence that he carries in his brain, Katsurou finds everyone around him to be a band of idiots that are beneath him and are not worth his time. The arrogance that he graces with everyone he meets, stems from his 'I'm better than you' attitude that has gotten him into many situations that involved violence. That violence spurred him into learning martial arts, though only recently he's begun to use it against threats other than the monsters that tries to kill him underneath the city.
His Persona is the sadistic Yoshitsugu Otani
of the Hermit Arcana, whom constantly whispers actions of malice to the scientist that occasionally get through to him, but mostly is ignored. Yoshitsugu is a Dark-aligned Persona that allows Katsurou to create purple auras around his fists to allow him to rot anything he touches. His has yet to test this power on humans however.
- Actual Pacifist: Before his curb stomp battle (see below), Katsurou would never raise a finger to protect himself. His reason? He figured that the idiots that he beat would only come back to avenge their humiliation or more idiots would come because they've heard about his fights and that he would waste less energy if he let them beat him up. He realized how stupid that was.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy
- Berserk Button: Although he maintains a normally disinterested out look on life, he has several confrontations with Tsukasa in which he lets his anger get the better of him.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: After a heated argument with Tsukasa about his pacifistic approach to his bullying, Katsurou decided that indeed was a bunch of bull crap and proceed to beat the living hell out of his tormentors in a complete one-sided fight.
- Mad Scientist: Katsurou has blown up the science lab on more than one occasion, almost getting sued one time, during experiments that no one even knows what they are about. He is also a little too interested in his Persona abilities and the mysteries that surrounds the Mysterious Ruins
- Surrounded by Idiots: Katsurou firmly believes that everyone around him is an idiot one way or another.
- Walking Wasteland: His Persona ability allows him to rot anything he touches with his black aura fists.
A young woman with a love for B-films, mechanics and cutting up criminals with a chainsaw. Growing up in the crime-filled city of Saejima, Kaya lost her father to criminals at a young age. From that point on, she led a life as a vigilante who uses a customized chainsaw as her tool of choice. She eventually moved to Nagashima with her mother, continuing her work as a Butcher of Retribution. Often soft-spoken and nervous with a general inability to emote properly, she nonetheless revels in bloodshed, particularly those of the wicked. Her Persona is Callahan
of the Emperor Arcana.
- Blood Knight: She absolutely loves killing, especially in as painful as possible. While she'll happily kill Shadows, she much prefers humans as they tend to express pain much more vividly.
- Chainsaw Good: Her primary weapon, capable of letting out a concussive blast from an exhaust pipe.
- Cool Helmet: As a vigilante, she always wears a motorcycle helmet with dragon teeth painted upon it. It also has a built-in voice modulator to further disguise her identity.
- Dissonant Serenity: She generally speaks in a somewhat monotone fashion while having a blank expression by default.
- Enemy Mine: In the eyes of her Persona, she is just as much of a monster as the ones they hunt down.
- Shrinking Violet: Very uncomfortable in most social situations. Especially ones that involve the opposite sex.
A young man who strives to be the best at whatever he sets his mind to, Kuzuki transferred to Taiyoutono a year after his father's death. Two years later, he's part of the kendo team and is vice-president of the Student Council. There's a reason why he's an overachiever: it's all a way of earning his father's love and approval by trying to live up to the expectations he thinks his father had for him. His Persona is Grani
, of the Emperor Arcana.
Ever since gaining access to his Persona, Kuzuki has ceaselessly worked to help Nagashima in any way he can as a member of the Student Council and a Persona user. Using his powers, he worked with several other Users in exploring the ruins. Hist most prominent deed was joining Kakeru on a daring raid on one of Aleksandria Fyodor's compounds with the purpose of rescuing Isoroku: though they were able to save her, Alek managed to escape. Since that day, Kuzuki intends to stop Aleksandria's machinations and whatever else may come up, even going so far as to create a SEES
-style organization called the Student Extracurricular Defense Response Initiative (or SEDRI
- The Ace: He is a member of the kendo team, vice-president of the Student Council, and a volunteer worker at a local hospital.
- Broken Ace: He tends to run a very real risk of burning himself out.
- Aloof Big Brother: To his sister Kyoko.
- Brutal Honesty: He'll still try to be polite about telling you the awful truth though.
- Grani, just like his master.
Grani: "Listen to me. That thing out there is not your friend. It does not want to help you, it will not listen to you, and nobody is coming to save you. If you do not take action now, you will die."
- Comes Great Responsibility: His entire reason for taking up the Call to Adventure.
- Disappeared Dad: His father, a policeman, died while trying to arrest a Serial Killer.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Played as a negative character trait, as Kuzuki's pride drives him to refuse help even when he needs it the most. For example, against a powerful Shadow, he refuses to let the more durable members of his party take the hit, even though those party members completely nullify that Shadow's element. Maria calls him out on this physically.
- Education Mama: Inverted— Kuzuki's mother is the one trying to persuade him to slow down and stop being such a workaholic. Kuzuki doesn't heed her advice.
- He Who Fights Monsters: In a speculative AU, he ends up becoming so obsessed with justice and order that he becomes a bloodthirsty vigilante.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: He does the majority of the grunt-work for Student Council President Yuzuki, although she isn't so much incompetent as really easy-going.
- I Did What I Had to Do: He argues the rightness of Nana's plan to unite the warring gangs by invoking this.
"You heard what Uncle Lono said on Bedlam," he [Kuzuki] continued. "Not one step back! Either we save Nagashima or we die with it! When the world is burning to cinders around us, there is no room for compromise!"
- Jack of All Stats: Grani has physical attack skills, magic spells and buffs, allowing him to have a skill for any situation. He also has only two weaknesses, invulnerablity to Thunder, and decent (but not good) stats in all categories.
- Knight Templar: He starts to show his uncompromising views on justice shortly after becoming part of the war against Shadows and rogue Persona users. Even Kaji chews him out for being unforgiving in his pursuit of justice.
Kuzuki (on Bedlam): "Mercy is wasted on those who threaten people's lives."
- Light 'em Up: Grani's second elemental specialty.
- Norse Mythology: His Persona is Grani, scion of Odin's horse Sleipnir and steed of Siegfried the hero.
- Only Sane Man: Before getting his Persona, he served as one to all of Taiyoutono High.
- Ordinary High-School Student: One of the few in Taiyoutono before he, too, got sucked into the Ruins.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: Grani is a armored robotic centaur spirit.
- Pillars of Moral Character: Much of Kuzuki's character is defined by the concept of giri. As Grani told him upon his awakening, he has a task to use his powers to defend Nagashima— and it is something he cannot simply refuse. Kuzuki is also driven by a sense of on, in the sense that since he has been given great power, he must exercise responsibility in its use by wielding the power of Persona to benefit society and rein in those who go against it.
- Responsible Sibling: As The Ace, this is only expected.
- Resigned to the Call: Kuzuki still doesn't know why he of all people was "chosen". He fights on anyway, because he believes it's what's right.
- Shock and Awe: Grani has all the spells in the Zio (electric) branch of magic, right up to Thunder Reign.
- Status Buff: Grani's specialty.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Kuzuki feels this way about his position as Vice President of the Student Council because he feels he has to pick up after everyone else.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Deconstructed, as Kuzuki's attempts to be a part-time hero alienate him from his family and leaves him little time for socialization.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Deconstructed in that Kuzuki's relentless drive to please his father is his most obvious motivation for becoming The Ace: the only problem with this is that his father is dead.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Played with. While Kuzuki decides to have a sword forged from a Shadow's talon for Shadow fighting, he still wields the wooden sword when dealing with mundane enemies. The one time he wields his actual sword against a human is when he encounters a group of thugs along the way to the Ruins.
- You Are Grounded: His mother grounds him after the events of Viewing at Dawn. In fairness, he did come home at 6 in the morning, ragged and covered in puke.
An extremely effeminate New Transfer Student
, Oliver is unique among "his" demographic in two ways. For one, "he" identifies as a she
. For two, her Japanese sucks. Horribly.
She used to live in an abusive household, but has seemingly become quite well adjusted in her uncle's family. Sort of.
Her Persona is Pang Tong
, the brilliant strategist who was shunned for his looks and attitude.
- Abusive Dad: In her backstory, played straight at first only to get denied later on.
- Badass Adorable: Awoke and proceeded to absolutely destroy an example of the resident Savage variety of Shadow for the upper levels. In one blow. Which was simultaneously a Barrier-Busting Blow. This was all done while wearing silky pink girl pajamas.
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Berserk Button: Sabotage her cooking at your own peril.
- Blow You Away: Her Persona appearantly learns every single offensive wind element spell. Including Panta Rhei.
- Chef of Iron: Established as a black belt that managed to break the arm of a certain attacker that was undoubtedly much, much bigger than her. Her very first appearance, however, involved some excellent Food Porn.
- Contractual Genre Blindness: See Unusually Uninteresting Sight below.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Described by Charles as looking like "a little Shibuya idol" when in her (female) uniform.
- The Dandy
- Agent Peacock: Promoted to this upon awakening. See Badass Adorable above.
- Eloquent In My Native Tongue
- Engrish: Inverted. Oliver can speak English just fine. Her Japanese, on the other hand takes constant forays into Intentional Engrish Forfunny, Department of Redundancy Department and even My Hovercraft Is Full of Eels territory.
- Amusingly inverted again once where a case of Angrish causes Oliver to declare that she will "KNOCK THEM ALL DOWN!" in English despite being eloquent in it.
- Every Male To Female Transsexual Is Cuter With Hair Decs: Seemingly favors barrettes.
- Everyone Can See It: Oliver started crushing on Yuuto almost immediately. Both other RPers and characters picked up on it just as quickly.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Reacts to a souffle imploding as if somebody just ate her pet bunny alive in front of her and then ran around wearing its head like a hat.
- Frying Pan of Doom: Her weapon of choice.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Informed Ability: Described in her profile as being able to dart about in conversation and essentially trick people into not learning a single thing about her. However, in her second thread she wound up being rather panicky and unintentionally blurted out more about herself than she'd ever care to reveal. In her defense...
- Nephewism/Self-Made Orphan: Considerably Lighter and Softer than most cases. Oliver just broke her father's arm. The end result, however, is largely the same.
- New Transfer Student: Simultaneously parodied and deconstructed.
- Playing with Fire: Oliver is capable of using fire magic, but not as extensively as wind magic.
- Refusal of the Call: Elected to walk away from the Persona community and even allegedly threw away her mask after learning about the park incident.
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Her Persona is Pang Tong, the Fledgeling Pheonix.
- Shout-Out: Oliver's mask is a direct copy of Jagi's helmet from Fist of the North Star. (May even be a Mythology Gag, as both Jagi and Pang Tong have been characters in Koei's various hack and slash game series. On a more subtle scale, Oliver's RPer named all of Oliver's attacks after songs on the Dynasty Warriors 7 soundtrack when describing what she'd be like in a fighting game.)
- Stealth Pun: She's Cousin Oliver!
- Squishy Wizard: Learns no attack skills whatsoever, clearly is focused on magic power, and is weak against physical attacks.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: If fighting normal human beings rather than shadows or fellow persona users. It's entirely possible that this aspect will actually overtake the Squishy Wizard one with time.
- Supreme Chef: Everything she's made (and tried to keep wholly to herself) has been very promptly devoured. Ironically shares this title with fellow androgynite Yuuto Hayashi, who she totally doesn't have a crush on.
- Throw It In: While trying to come up with a legitimate reason for why a girl would be named Oliver, one of her "speculated" answers was "Did I say Oliver? I meant Olivia.". Despite the idea's dismissal (Oliver thought the concept of just trading out Oliver for its female equivalent was overdone and corny), the name has nonetheless been picked up to refer to her both in and out of character at times. This is partly because - as Oliver has pointed out herself - she really ought to have a female name by now, and also partly because the statement - as well as a confession to her crossdressing and transsexuality - weren't quite as "speculated" as she thought.
- Underestimating Badassery: You're not really taken all that seriously when you're a teeny tiny girly-looking boy that can't even speak the language that you're using to make threats of violence.
- Unlimited Wardrobe: Has had a different outfit on in every single thread she's appeared in. She's even been described in her profile as always changing her style and hair on a whim.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Doesn't actually realise that as a Wholesome Crossdresser, she is one. They're fairly common at Taiyoutono. Really, Oliver could probably save herself a lot of trouble and stress if she just realised that, even if she decided to be open about her Transsexuality AND ran around dressed like Lady Gaga while juggling chocolate bowling pins, she'd still be one.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Of course, it doesn't necessarily come with the transsexual territory... it just does this time.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has purportedly dyed her hair many different colours on a whim. Thus far she's been seen with blue, green and blonde hair.
Oliver's high class cousin. She had the misfortune of defending her father's less than savoury practices at an earlier age, with her final retort against a protestor reaching a viral state
. The whole affair eventually led to her closing herself off from the world
, reserving her true nature
for close friends, family, and the ever wonderful Internet. Her persona is Spartacus.
- Animal Wrongs Group: Much of her reputation and her world view comes from her family pissing one (that appears to be an Expy of PETA, given their methods) off.
- Anything That Moves: A lot of the narration and inner monologues about Maria hint that she has some... interesting tastes.
- Bi the Way
- Closet Geek
- Cool Big Sis: Tries to act like and think of herself as one to Oliver, which sort of makes her implied perverseness towards her even Squick-ier.
- Covert Pervert: Her train of thought about a joke she made eventually leaped to "Khal Drogo is hot..." once. And if we're going to take some of the implications placed about how she feels about Oliver, then it seems nobody is safe from her.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Distressed Damsel: Nah. While her general appearance and mannerisms ought to give off this vibe, Maria actually puts effort into getting herself out of trouble when she finds herself in it. This is established in her awakening thread, where her immediate reaction to a perceived kidnapping attempt is to grab whatever closest resembles a weapon and start kicking down doors in search of an escape.
- Gamer Girl: Something that she's managed to apply to dungeon crawling, as shown in her use of the "always go left" philosophy of dungeon crawling and her immediate acceptance that while physical damage does nothing to her, elemental magic might. (Bear in mind she had no genuine proof that elemental magic even existed at this point.) It actually makes her something of an effective strategist when fighting Shadows with others.
- Genre Savvy: To an extent. She's familiar enough with RPG tropes that, when she's suddenly dumped into the ruins and awakens to her persona, she adapts rather quickly for a sheltered Ojou. Not to mention, she picks up on the possibility of having elemental weaknesses immediately. Of course...
- Glass Cannon: Of a sort. She's actually completely immune to physical attacks, so her staying power is impressive in that respect. However, her persona currently only has one skill: Kill Rush. It's a far greater power than most beginning techniques, but its cost is also higher as well. Being a physical technique, Casting From Hit Points is required. Big stamina cost + low threshhold due to inexperience = one short-lived Disc One Nuke.
- Lady of War
- Motor Mouth: She has the habit of letting herself ramble at times, often changing subjects multiple times before letting anyone get a word in edgewise. Presumably only an aspect of her Sugar side.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Or So I Heard: Used (poorly) to try and cover up her RPG genre savvy.
- Precision F-Strike: Used aloud after she catches a screaming hot bullet and held in any sort of reaction until the shooter was gone.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: Definitely a milder case than most, but Maria has appearantly never seen the inside of a supermarket before. She just speculates about what they might be like.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Sibling Rivalry: One sided with her cousin Oliver (No, not that one. The character directly above this one.). Maria adores Oliver, but Oliver hates Maria's guts.
- Spoiled Sweet
- Sugar And Ice Girl: Curiously, despite the Ice part being her everyday mask, many of the earlier threads she was in involed her Sugar side instead. However, this can be justified in the fact that she's only seen talking to Oliver (her cousin who is now technically her sibling) and Conan (who she was stuck in the ruins with. As she points out to herself, this is not exactly a good time to act icy and bitchy.)
- Take That: She's not the least bit fond of the Resident Evil movies or their protagonist.
- Ultimate Gamer 386
Kaburagi "Joe" Jounichi
Kaburagi Jounichi lived as a quiet boy who sat in the back of class for the first couple years of his life. Then, he found the music of a certain rock legend
and his personality completely changed. His full attention became devoted to The Metal
that he loved so much and the attitude that went along with it. He is a raucous, headstrong, and determined individual. He will also do anything for someone he considers a friend. He'll also monologue a lot.
He is Joe, the self-styled greatest rocker in the world.
- Casanova Wannabe: Has allegedly professed his undying love to at least half of the Cooking Club.
- Education Mama: Has a whole family of them, particularily his father.
- Fearless Fool: Almost to a "T." He doesn't seem to have many things that can really shake him except for his father for some indeterminable reason.
- First Name Basis: Or so he thinks. Calls everyone by their given name, or by a nickname if he likes them.
- Large Ham: The fact that he monologues (in public) on a day-to-day basis should be enough, but he also has a personal philosophy of heading into anything worth doing with all of your passion. This leads to a lot of shouting and inspiring speeches from him, regardless of whether or not they are wanted.
- No Indoor Voice: Naturally.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The only person to call him "Jounichi" so far, both in and out of character, has been his father.
- The Power of Rock: Joe is the personification of this trope. He walks around with his guitar almost everywhere and will usually end his monologues with a solo. When fighting shadows, he uses his guitar as a weapon and will often cast his spells (all lightning-based, of course) via a quick riff. One could even make the argument that his persona might have something to do with rock.
- Shock and Awe: his main skills are all electricity (and sound) based.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Considers himself to be the absolute greatest guitar player in the world... He isn't.
- Unconventional Formatting: His persona's name is kind of hard to pronounce. (Whenever he is mentioned in threads, his name is written in a different font and with a link to the song responsible for its creation.)
- Waxing Lyrical: Joe's monologues, and even his casual conversation frequently break out into song accompanied by guitar riffs.
- Most prevalent when he's speaking English, the language that most of the music he listens to is written in.
Calm, usually quiet and polite, Kakeru is quite a functional member of society. He will gladly help those who are in need and always keeps a nice front. In reality, Kakeru is a boy who believes that he can't feel anything like sadness and happiness. He doesn't feel joy while helping others, but he doesn't feel grief while doing something bad either. The only thing that keeps him from doing bad things is his conscience and his surrogate father's last words.
Currently a third-year student of Taiyoutono High School, Kakeru obtained his Persona, Tsukuyomi shortly after being transferred into the school.
- Ambiguously Brown: Due to his Vietnamese heritage.
- An Ice Person
- Blood Knight: Despite his inability to feel emotions, he can be quite enthusiastic during a battle. He later admits that he can only truly feel alive in a battlefield due to the possibility of him being killed by his opponents.
- Chaste Hero: Even after his first sexual encounter, he still has vague idea how sex works, much to Isoroku's dismay.
- Cool Sword: Wields a nodachi, Hanamatsuri. Also an Ancestral Weapon.
- Cool, but Inefficient: His Megidola spell. It is his strongest spell, and can be amplified with Mind Charge, but it's so energy consuming and he will be severely drained after casting it once.
- Deadpan Snarker: At times. He's snarkier after his ascension.
- Disappeared Dad: Lost his father figures twice. First when his biological father was assassinated by his future surrogate father, Takeru Kagami and second when his surrogate father was killed during a mob war. Both happened in front of his eyes.
- Doesn't Like Guns: He considers them to be cowardly weapons.
- He is proficient in using firearms, though, due to him being a former hitman. He occasionally brings a revolver with him (he still hates using it, though).
- Expy: Of Vergil.
- Guile Hero
- Happily Adopted
- Iaijutsu Practitioner
- Innocently Insensitive
- Japanese Mythology: His Persona is Tsukuyomi, the Shinto God of the Moon. Wields a pair of katanas which are made of ice and wears a samurai armor, also made of ice.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Means well most of the time, but his insensitivity and snarky mouth tend to drive most people away from him.
- Magic Knight
- Mind Rape: His signature move.
- Nerves of Steel
- No Sense of Direction: Is completely helpless without a map.
- Our Vampires Are Different
- Professional Killer: Was one as a child. After his surrogate father's death, he managed to live a normal life with his surrogate grandmother.
- Protectorate: For Isoroku.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: His preferred ranged weapon. But he hates using it.
- The Rival: Edward is this to him.
- Arch-Enemy: Will try to kill each other every time they meet.
- Stepford Smiler: He smiles so he can be accepted by society. He believes himself to be empty and unable to feel, or so he thought.
- Tin Man: He claims that he's incapable of emotions and love, doesn't feel grief, anger, happiness and fear. And yet he's one of the nicest guys you can find in Nagashima. Quite a snarker, though.
- Tranquil Fury
A delinquent who was once a polite and kind child
until he got bullied in junior high to the point where he snapped and beat the ever-lovin' crap out of three bullies at once.
He now has a single goal in life: to be the ultimate banchou in Nagashima.
An aspiring stand-up comedian who comes from a family with a very long history of mental illness. He was traumatized at an early age when his aunt, the only relative who showed him actual kindness, had an episode linked to her manic-depressive schizophrenia and attempted to strangle Hiroko. Hiroko turned to alcoholism at age 13 as a result and is very timid. Hiroko blamed himself for Kyo's descension to Nevan The Lightning Witch, and his Persona, Kitsune, did too, threatening to take control of Hiroko if he didn't get Kyo to stop hating herself. However, Hiroko managed to come to terms with his problems and ascended to Susano-O.
- An Ice Person
- Light 'em Up
- Bloody Murder: Hiroko's 'Sanguine Attack' gave him the 'blood weapon' variety of this trope- his blood crystallized and then pierced through his skin.
- Dead Baby Comedy: His jokes often fall into this category...scary, considering they're usually about his life...
- Demonic Possession: Courtesy of Kitsune.
- Driven to Suicide: Contemplates jumping off the roof of the school after Kitsune's influence pretty much ruins his life. Kyo Charinko manages to convince him to stay alive.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Troll: Hiroko has a manic episode and sends Chika private messages with two fake accounts asking why she thought letting Himura abuse her for money was a good idea.
The Other Idiot From Osaka
Originally the sort of girl who dressed like a boy purely to spite gender roles, slept around (often with boys who had girlfriends), and spent her days doing anything and everything she could to have a good time, Kyo became a Persona-user far too late to participate in any of the big-time incidents that shaped Nagashima as it is today... and yet still wound up in various related messes left behind by the drama of yestermonth: from fretting over Isoroku Mayoi's quest for revenge to joining Aleksandria Fyodor's newly-formed team of masked heroes to playing double-agent for that one girl who wants to to murder Chouko Yaguruma's killer, the most frequent descriptor used to describe Kyo's activities is "busybody." She just can't seem to stop getting all up in other peoples' business. She also seems to make friends with literally everyone
, regardless of any recent attempts to kill her in a fit of jealousy
Kyo's initial Persona, of the Devil Arcana, takes the form of Morrigan Aensland from the fighting game franchise Darkstalkers
. Her ascended Persona, also of the Devil Arcana, takes the form of Nevan the Lightning Witch, a boss demon from Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
- An Ice Person: One of her offensive elements is ice, which she uses not only offensively, but in a few unorthodox ways—coating her shoes in ice so she can slide or skate across the ground, for instance.
- This trope ceases to apply after Kyo ascends to Nevan—all of her ice spells become lightning spells, effectively swapping this trope out for Shock and Awe.
- Casting a Shadow: Both Kyo's initial Persona and her ascended one make use of Mudo spells... darkness spells, in other words.
- Cool Big Sis: Sort of tries to act like one for everyone, but particularly so for Isoroku Mayoi.
- Considers Ayane Hitomi her own Cool Big Sis.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kyo's sense of humor can be pretty black at times and this often leads to her making bland, dry comments, or thinking in bland, dry terms.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Basically what happened when her boyfriend's crazy ex-girlfriend tried to kill her.
- The Dulcinea Effect: A rare case of Gender Flip. Kyo has been known to dive headfirst into life-threatening situations for people she literally only just met ten minutes ago, like Natsumi Aizawa, for example.
- Ethical Slut
- Expy: Has been stated to have been loosely based on Yukino Mayuzumi, a character in the first two Persona games, a dedication which is later lampshaded by her joining Photography Club at school—as Yukino later went on to become an apprentice photographer in the Persona 2 dualogy.
- First Name Basis: Refers to everyone under the sun by their first name with no honorifics, regardless of closeness or propriety.
- Friendless Background: Prior to meeting her first boyfriend and his little sister, Kyo didn't have any real friends, although she did have a lot of sex, and break a lot of hearts.
- Gamer Girl: Plays quite a few games, with a particular preference for Western games and Western media in general. Often sees videogame references in the world around her. And of course, her Persona itself is from a videogame.
- Good Bad Girl
- Identical Stranger: Kyo bears a striking (and entirely coincidental) resemblance to Nana Samurakami, in that both are from Osaka, both have natural green peek-a-bank hair and green eyes, and both freely speak in Kansai dialect. Kyo is mildly concerned that this likeness will get her jumped in an alley someday.
- In Harm's Way: Kyo just always seems to get into trouble, but even when she's not, she fights Shadows in the ruins on an almost nightly basis purely for the adrenaline rush fighting brings.
- Lampshade Hanging: Kyo has a habit of pointing out the silly things about a situation, such as how much Nagashima's Persona/Shadow trouble is like a videogame RPG, or how blatant and overplayed the symbolism her Shadow and Persona use are.
- Love Redeems: Kyo was a callous, manipulative, self-absorbed excuse for a human being... until, that is, she fell in love with her first boyfriend and reformed. Too bad he was later murdered.
- Motor Mouth: When she talks, boy oh boy does she talk. It doesn't matter if she's talking about something whimsical or something serious-business... she always, always runs her mouth for far too long.
- Ms. Fanservice: Kyo herself might not be terribly blatant at this outside of a few isolated incidence, but her Persona, Morrigan? Dohohoho...
- Peek-a-Bangs: Her hairstyle is explicitly based on that of the Persona 3 male protagonist, except that it's mirrored and colored green instead of blue.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: While she received this quite often from her personal Shadow, she was also blindsided by one from another player character who looks just like her, leading Kyo to sarcastically think that said character could have passed for her own Shadow.
- Rescue Romance: With Hiroko. Please note it was the damsel who rescued the handsome prince in this case, not the other way around.
- Speech Impediment: Because her parents wanted her to speak Tokyo dialect and she grew up surrounded by people who spoke Kansai-ben, she wound up speaking neither. Rather, her voice came out as a half-and-half combination of the two that succeeded only in making actual Kansai-ben speakers think she was mocking them.
- The Idiot from Osaka: While she initially hid it, she now speaks her half-baked semi-Kansai accent freely, so everyone knows just how gloriously Osakan she is! It's not like non-Kansai speakers can even tell the accent is bad, anyway.
- The Lad-ette
- True Companions: She's more or less this for everyone she makes friends with, unless she's meddling in their revenge schemes or something.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair: Her parents used to force her to dye it blonde, but she's not putting up with that anymore!
A tall, quiet girl who mainly keeps to herself, Suzume's been Chouko Yaguruma's best friend since middle school, even though they shared very few interests outside of cooking. She's a natural archery prodigy and is admired by a fair amount of the underclassmen. She stayed out of the Persona business for a very long time, not knowing anything about it aside from the odd rumors about butterflies and the ruins.
All of this changed when Chouko Yaguruma died. The unusual circumstances of her death left Suzume wanting answers, but without any way to find them. When she finally did awaken to her Persona, she decided to use her new-found power to find whoever was responsible for Chouko's death so she could make them pay.
Her Persona is Rhamnousia
of the Justice Arcana. Because her Persona's rather weak, she doesn't use it very often, instead preferring to rely on her weapons.
A girl from Osaka responsible for a number of murders, including that of Kenshin Nakadachi (brother of Chika, and boyfriend of Kyo Charinko), Nishiyo was raised by her Yakuza parents to be ruthless and controlling, and most importantly, to never let anyone "f*ck with her" and get away with it—the result being an utterly sociopathic killer for whom the concept of remorse might as well be a fairy tale.
Her Persona is Diabound, of the Moon Arcana, based on the creature summoned in the closing story arc of Yu-Gi-Oh!
by the Thief King Bakura.
- Affably Evil: Even when she's doing something utterly loathsome, she's pretty chipper about it.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Combine the above and the below and this is what you get. It's like a trope chemical reaction!
- Stepford Smiler: She'll plot murder and think horrible things about you, but she'll do it with a smile on her face!
- The Sociopath: Although she lacks somewhat in the "Consummate Deception Skills" department... as evidenced by the sheer number of other characters plotting her downfall at this point.
A student in homeroom 3-5, a member of the Kendo Club, waiter at the local maid cafe, and all-around upstanding young man with aspirations to one day become a policeman. His life was changed forever when he witnessed his father murder an attendant in a gas station hold up. With his sole parent incarcerated Daichi was granted emancipation at age 17. To say he has very idealized views of right and wrong is a bit of an understatement. His Persona is Michael
of the Hierophant Arcana.
Hanako is a third year student at Taiyoutono. She may appear normal to you, but like most denizens of Nagashima, she's not as normal as you initially thought. She tends to take things to the extreme and out of proportion, but ultimately, she is a good person at heart. Her Persona used to be Clytie of the Devil Arcana, before changing into Medusa of the Death Arcana after ascension.
Rokketto University Staff and Students
Natsuki teaches History at Roketto University and is known for her ice-cold demeanor. She also happens to be Yuuto Hayashi's aunt— although she dislikes the young man's family because of an old grudge.
The sole-surviving heir of the Tsukuda branch of the Yakuza, Shiori would much rather have nothing to do with the Yakuza. On the other hand, she doesn't want to be a disappointment to her family. Her Persona is Rapunzel of the Priestess Arcana.
"Judgement comes after Justice, don't you know? But I'm not really Justice, I'm Zero... I'm empty yet full all at once, everywhere yet nowhere... positive and negative, Alpha and Omega. I've always BEEN Zero. Hell, that's the kanji for my name, after all..."
Overly dramatic (yet apathetic) teacher of Criminal Law at Rokketo, also goes by the alias of "Kyuu/Zero" and frequently wears his mask in the real world. Contrary to his theatrics, he feels life has little-no meaning and is a cynic. Also a criminal prosecutor on the side, he takes it upon himself to "mentor" Seiichi. At least, that's how he describes it. His Persona was Yamatano-Orochi but he later Ascended to Samael, moving from Moon to Justice.Eventually becomes the second Masquerade after Seichi is unable to continue due to Mad Cow Disease. Upon comitting his second murder he CLAIMS to have realized that the people were just as oppressed as Persona users, and later sets out to free the world from boundaries. Later stopped by Kyo and a random Yakuza member, and made to return to a life of apathy.
- An Ice Person
- Arc Number: Zero and its Japanese equivalent, Kyuu.
- Arc Words: "A Cipher is ever-changing."
- Badass Longcoat
- Bishōnen: Openly described as being frail looking, and having feminine features.
- The Chessmaster: Literally and figuratively.
- Cool Mask: His Persona/"Kyuu" Mask, it's basically a black visor. Leads to...
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Smirks or grins frequently to the point where it is a reflex for him.
- Deadly Dodging: Prefers this style of fighting due to frailty.
- Expy: Of Lelouch. To the point where he even refers to himself as Zero BECAUSE someone called him Lelouch in high school.
- Fragile Speedster
- Hot-Blooded[/]Large Ham: Rei loves his theatrics as Zero; ordinarily, he's a yawning, apathetic teacher/prosecutor.
- Ill Boy: Downplayed. He cannot take as much damage as anyone else and was this as a child. Now, it's pretty much a facade.
- Knife Nut: After his gun is confiscated he uses throwing knives and a switchblade for a while.
- Large Ham: As every last one of his alter-egos...
- Laughing Mad: In "Self-Exposition" and "So-Called Justice's" climaxes.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Meaningful Name: An accidental one. Apparently "Rei" is one of the alternate ways to say "Zero" in Japanese. It also means "Law, Strive, and Rule."
- Shout-Out: One of Rei's class topics was 'Objection! This class is objectionable."
- His "World With No Boundaries" quotes are all based on Ace Combat
- Smart People Play Chess
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Seiichi in "Pale Moonlight."
- The Reveal: To Benkei and Takeo. His Persona intervenes and allows them to try and talk him out of it.
- The Stoic/Nerves of Steel: Very few things actually surprise him, though he does seem to fear The Reaper.
- The Sociopath: Rei's bio states that he's not capable of understanding others, and he himself views people as pawns.
- The Strategist
- The Unfettered
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Intends to save the "oppressed" by eliminating all need for nations. Or at least, he wanted to do this, then he was stopped.
Sorry, thought we were in a different game
for a moment there. Mai Inami's a student at Rokketto University, one of the first two to appear in the RP. A passionate law student seeking to make a difference in the world, she more often encounters the poverty that plagues single university students and assignment deadlines rather than Amoral Attorneys
and criminals for now. She shares a powerful rapport with her dormmate
Nezumi. Her persona is Athena
The second of the first two Rokketto University students in the RP. A rather quiet, stubbornly optimistic girl that's seemingly searching for a purpose in life. Tries to support herself and her dormmate Mai
using her experience as a health spa assistant. Unfortunately, most of her pay goes towards potato chips
. Contrasting Mai's penchant for men's suits, Nezumi dolls herself up into a pretty little lolita with a pretty parasol
. For some reason this scares RPers.
Her Persona is definitely an example of how a pretty face can hide some real darn scary thoughts, even though we're not told what they are.
Specifically, her persona is Jubilex
, a bloated, slimy, many-eyed, many-tentacled spider... thing.
...Did we mention Nezumi's kinda scary?
- Big Brother Worship: Or, well, until he died.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Jubilex
- Big Eater
- Cain: If one is to take her Kamen Rider AU (which feels much much more like Silent Hill with sentai in it than anything else) into account... yes, it's quite likely.
- Dissonant Serenity: Arguably the most off-putting feature about Nezumi is her complete and utter relaxation in the face of whatever is thrown her way. The only time she's broken her demeanour is when she first saw Jubilex.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita
- Eldritch Abomination: Jubilex is considered one of the most powerful demon lords in Dungeons & Dragons. In it, it appears as a ginormous slime ridden with assorted body parts. Here however, he looks like Cthulhu got a fifty foot spider pregnant.
- Expy: At first, she doesn't readily appear to be one. But then upon closer inspection, you realise that, if Mai is Pheonix Wright, then Nezumi is Dahlia Hawthorne.
- Hypocrite: Assured a rather Cool and Unusual Punishment upon Mai if she stole her potato chips again. The next post she appears in has her stealing a high school student's steamed bun. While he watched.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Shaping up to be one.
- Parasol of Prettiness
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Mai's red.
- The Unintelligible: Jubilex speaks in a cipher that makes him sound suitably lovecraftian.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fried octopus flavoured potato chips. However, it seems clear that she'll grab just about anything. Even if it doesn't belong to her.
Karin is a student of science at Rokketto university. She is actually a little younger
than her classmates, owed in part to her brilliant mind and dogged determination to prove herself as better than everyone else. In fact, it's incredibly seldom that Karin ever stops
telling people how much better she is than them. Her superiority complex and unhealthy obsession with proving herself is owed in no small part to the systematic neglect and abandonment of her stage parents
, who constantly ignored her in favor of her twin sister because they figured they could make more money off of her charm than Karin's mind. Her persona is the murderer and rapist Ixion of Classical Mythology
- Ambition Is Evil: Or at the very least, ambition makes you a Jerkass.
- Casting a Shadow: One of Ixion's elemental specialties.
- Gadgeteer Genius
- GIFT: Just about every single post from her in Bedlam is practically radiating sheer jerkassery, and most every post there winds up getting her banned. Oddly, Karin herself views this as her voice of reason being constantly swatted aside instead of a reasonable reaction to her being a Troll.
- Hand Cannon: Has fashioned a very primitive one out of a hair dryer.
- Heel Face Door Slam: Not necessarily a full transition from heel to face (as while she's certainly a Jerkass, she's not really a villain yet), but when she tried to set her insufferable arrogance aside and contribute to the greater good by investigating the rumours of Persona User's being kidnapped, she wound up making herself a target for abduction herself.
- She Knows Too Much: See Heel Face Door Slam above.
- Insufferable Genius
- Improvised Weapon User/Improbable Weapon User/MacGyvering: How she plans to survive in combat.
- Limited Wardrobe: Subverted in that Karin actually has a great variety of clothes, but she chooses to wear the same thing anyways.
- Nuke 'em: Ixion's other elemental specialty.
- Obviously Evil: Maybe not Karin herself, but Ixion couldn't look more like bad news if he tried.
- Parental Abandonment/Parental Neglect: They always favored Karin's sister, and eventually they just scooped her up and left Karin in the dust.
- Stage Parents: Played for Drama
- Teen Genius: Not as flagrant of an example as it normally is, but Karin is stated to be an expert at MacGyvering and is a bit younger than her classmates.
- The Resenter: Of her family.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Deconstructed. Karin's desire was originally to gain her parents' approval, but it has since warped and twisted so much that she instead has an unshakable need to prove that she's better than them. Or anyone else, for that matter...
Urara 'Laura' Uehara
A forensic sciences student at Rokketto with albinism. Her international cosmopolitan flair and love for all things others find disturbing stem from the time her grandfather figure raised her in Sweden in an antiquated fashion as part of a psychology experiment. Since then she's come to discover her real family in Japan but they have yet to be close, so she independently manages her school and work/internship.
Her Persona (of the Star Arcana) is Hecate of Greek/Chthonian
Her persona provides examples of:
- The Hecate Sisters: Though Hecate manifests as a singular figure, Laura's three masks fused into one represents the three women aspect.
- Talking to the Dead: As part of her mythology Hecate was said to have vision through all the domains past present and future, including the land of the dead.
- Woman in White: A ghostly woman and although technically in black, she is an albinistic double of Laura.
Taiyoutono Teachers and Staff
- Badass Teacher: Carries a concealed sword in his cane, and fights by mixing chemicals to create explosives and acids.
- Cool Old Guy: Though he'll object to the old, he spent a lot of his life traveling the world over and loves to share his findings.
- Cool Teacher: In contrast to many of the school's NPC staff, the Player Characters on the staff tend to fall under this. Albert is no exception, being one of the few that can hold the attention of his students.
- Karmic Trickster: One of his main inspirations, other than the 7th Doctor (who he is an expy of in appearance only), is Bugs Bunny. It hasn't been shown yet, but pity the poor sod that first gets targeted by this side of him.
- Papa Wolf: Try and attack one of his students. Watch how well that works out for you.
- Rambling Old Man Monologue: His major flaw as a speaker is his tendency to go overboard. He will often mix up his stories when trying to speak socially (I.E. not giving a lecture), which sometimes falls under this. He finds it rather embarrassing, since he's not TOO old.
Heiress to Kawabata Heavy Industries and the principal of Taiyoutono High School.
Takayuki "Taka" Yasuri
Takashi is a teacher at Taiyoutono High and one of the damn best teachers there are at the school. Which is not saying much since all of them are asleep, stoned out of their brains on coffee or both.
He is a reformed yakuza, so he tends to be grumpy and isn't necessarily the best role model out there.
The teacher was pretty content with his life until shit happened.
He gathered the adult persona users and is occasionally in correspondence with the WMG squad
. His persona is Hephaestus the talking, flaming, seven-armed urn.
Conan's a pitiable
man. Nearly two metres tall and with a build to reflect that, he's quite used to being perceived as dumb muscle. His lethargy and clumsiness certainly doesn't help with that. However, he's actually very well read and nobody's fool. Conan has been drifting from job to job aimlessly for years after the death of his fiance, trying to put the pieces of his life back together. His Persona is Goliath of the Chariot arcana.
- And I Must Scream: Conan is immune to physical damage, but is afraid of cave-ins in the ruins. He figures that he would either suffocate or be stuck forever.
- Badass Bookworm
- Barrier-Busting Blow: Has been called upon to do this.
- The Berserker: By virtue of his brute strength, Conan doesn't NEED a weapon to fight. He also becomes rather violent when drunk, which isn't exactly a trait that one would like to see paired with someone of his size. Goliath also reeks of this trope.
- Blood Knight: Shows signs of developing into this.
- Crusading Widower: Failed.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Has taken to drink on occasion to deal with his depression.
- Everything Breaks: Has a habit of twisting doorknobs off because he thinks they're stuck. Given his immunity to physical damage and innate strength, he can destroy most physical barriers in the ruins.
- Fish out of Water: Generally how Conan feels wherever he is. It's especially true now.
- Genius Bruiser: Has a university degree and is a qualified librarian. The bruiser part goes without saying.
- Gentle Giant: When he's sober, at least. He's really just a nice, quiet guy...
- Groin Attack: On a shadow that resembles Wexter.
- Mighty Glacier
- My Greatest Failure: Both the death of his fiance and the failure to find her killer in time.
- Never Heard That One Before: No, he really hasn't been compared to a certain Cimmerian before. But thanks for asking.
- The Power of Blood: Goliath appears to be made entirely out of the stuff.
- Scary Librarian: He's a giant of a man with anger management problems and immunity to the most common sources of damage.
- Stone Wall: He is immune to damage caused by most non-magical attacks.
- The Unintelligible: Goliath doesn't speak to Conan at all. He described it best by saying that "he points, he laughs, but no words".
- Unskilled, but Strong: Conan and Goliath don't need fancy things like finesse or weapons. Not when you can just reduce a shadow to fine paste with a single swat.
- Wandering the Earth
- Wooden Ships and Iron Men: In his backstory, Conan was a sailor for a time.
Soichiro Sugawara (alias Masahiro Tatsumi)
Soichiro— or Masahiro as he calls himself— is the teacher of philosophy at Taiyoutono. Behind his genial attitude, however, hides a wanted criminal with a taste for illegal fighting and Social Darwinist
Other Adults and Muggles
A detective that floats through various departments in the Nagashima Police Department, Shin had struck a fine balance in his life between his Burakumin heritage and his life as an officer of the law. Then he became a persona user, and now his life is composed of three half-lives — as a Burakumin subject to the system, as a police officer who is part of the system, and a persona user who is outside of society — and he is slowly succumbing to the stress. He dedicates much of his free time to taking care of his nephew and trying to ensure the ruins are safe, but there is a part of him that simply wants to run away, and this part has given rise to his persona, Orestes. However, he has more recently decided to face things more head-on, and now is supported by Solomon
of the Temperance Arcanum.
- Agent Mulder: Evolving into this.
- Berserk Button: Call him "Eta," and find out.
- Beleaguered Bureaucrat: He is a detective...in the missing person capital of the prefecture.
- Blindfolded Vision: His mask.
- By-the-Book Cop
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Solomon, extends to Shin when in Armored Form.
- Clothing Damage: His suits get ruined every time he enters combat.
- Expy: of Richard Fell.
- For Great Justice
- I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That: His response to high school students possessing firearms — but only as long as they're in the ruins.
- Internal Affairs: Implied to have had a few run-ins with them.
- Long-Range Fighter: Knows hand-to-hand maneuvers to subdue someone, but obviously prefers to fight from a distance.
- No Punctuation Period: How Orestes, his persona usually speaks, with the exception of the occasional comma or question mark.
- Nuke 'em: His persona uses nuclear attacks.
- Officer and a Gentleman: Reading "Officer" as "police officer" instead of "military officer." Shin is usually very polite.
- The Oresteia: His persona is Orestes.
- Prepare to Die: His (unheard) threat to Toru, after one of Toru's attempts to kill Naoya.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Will tolerate less-egregious breaches of the law.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Justified, as he's a police officer, and revolvers are standard issue for Japanese police.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Has appeared in two threads in which he isn't wearing a suit.
- Sink or Swim Fatherhood: Takes care of his nephew, Naoya, who promptly dove into the ruins and became a persona user. Shin is not happy about this.
- Stoic Spectacles
- The Summation: Loves to give dramatic speeches.
- Unknown Rival: To the Wandering Gunman, a former police officer.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: When intoxicated, he does not capitalize (despite Japanese not having capitalization to begin with.)
Younger sister of Kuzuki Harada, and one of the few completely normal characters in the RP.
Kuzuki's father, who died four years before the events of the RP.
, Proper Lady
that killed her own mother
. She is searching for her father
, who she believes is ruling his own kingdom and waiting for her. She does not react well when people tell her otherwise
. Her persona is Titania
of the Empress Arcana.
A laid back stoner who wants to enjoy life.
Sanjuro's older brother.
A high-school dropout who feels a lot of shame for not being able to be the man of his family. 'Adopts' a girl being kidnapped as his way of atoning for his irresponsibility.
A nervous young scientist that has a fear of people, a caffeine addiction, and a love of music. He once worked for an unnamed company that researches the occult, but quit and instead got a job at Kirihara Corp. Tried to kill himself before, and has been diagnosed with depression. His current Persona is Shinigami.
- Berserk Button: Do not bring up his childhood or make a joke about depression/suicide around him. Ever.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He doesn't like to talk about his childhood at all.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Driven to Suicide: At least once as a teenager. He obviously survived.
- For Science!: Pretty much why he continues going into the ruins and using his Persona, even when the latter tries to get him to off himself. Repeatedly.
- Emo: Averted. Shu is a representation of people who really do have depression, people who experience days of normality and days of extreme lows.
- Expy: In the CB, his creator was once asked if he was a reference to Agnus.
- Long-Range Fighter: Uses a Desert Eagle and throwing knives.
- Knife Nut: See above.
- Mad Scientist: Is shaping up to be one, especially since his new catch phrase might be "Data collection complete."
- No Social Skills
- Parental Abandonment: Inverted, Shu abandoned his mother.
- Shout-Out: To a lot of bands, anime, and manga.
- Shrinking Violet: Male example.
- Squishy Wizard: He's weak to Phys, and excels in attack spells.
- Teen Genius: He's twenty, has a science degree, and is the head researcher at the company he works for. All because he used to fit this trope.
- The Smart Guy
- Trademark Favorite Food: Anything with caffeine or anything sweet.
- Verbal Tic: Shu stutters all the time unless he's had his caffeine fix, and even then he still stutters around women.
A corrupt, lazy, and borderline sociopathic Ad Vice detective. Saki doesn't understand love due to past experiences, and killed her own partner.
Her Persona is Eligor.
A kind, cheerful and friendly kindergarten teacher. Is secretly a ninja.
Kakeru's surrogate father and a former hitman. Unlike his surrogate son, he's not a Persona-user.
Natsumi's oldest and best friend. Energetic
is perhaps the best way to describe her.
Kinzaki's Aunt and younger sister to her father, Hajime. Reina is a well-dressed woman in her late thirties. She works for the Kirihara Group as a Persona researcher despite lacking a Persona herself. She is vicious, spiteful, power-hungry and looks down upon generally everyone she meets. Her main ambition is to gain control of the Kirihara Group, but that pesky older brother and his daughter are the biggest obstacles in the way of her goals…
The Black Hoods
A group of non-empowered Ngashima citizens, who have recently started to plan and coordinate attacks against both high- and low-profile Persona Users, with the clear goal to kill them. While they claim to be protecting their loved ones
, their murderous and ruthless methods hasn't bought them much sympathy within the community...
- Badass Normal: A whole group of them !They don't possess any powers, but manage to be quite dangerous in their own right.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: They're aware of the elemental strenghts and weaknesses of the Users they attack, and know how to use non-magical means to exploit them.
- Dark Is Evil: They're called the "Black Hoods", and generally attack at night. They'd claim otherwise, though.
- Fantastic Racism: Seems to be the main motivation behind their attacks - the truth, however, might be more complicated than that.
- Malevolent Masked Men: They always hide their faces during their attacks - justified by the highly illegal nature of them.
- Muggle Power: A pretty violent example. They might have some Persona Users within their ranks, however, given their ability to know their elemental weaknesses.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: What they claim to be, at the very least.
A humanoid shadow. Sponsors Sora's team, but other than that nothing much is known about her. Supposedly was the lead scientist for the lab before it became a Shadow nest.
A humanoid Shadow. Sponsors Kaede's team through Treo. A former test subject. She has the ability to control fire.
Wandering Gunman/Eiji Hachirou
A humanoid Shadow. A rather skilled marksman, his Shadow form allows him to shoot bullets from his fingers. Later revealed to be a former police officer who quit to work security for the lab before it was put into its current condition. Killed by Kyousuke. Too bad he didn't stay down.
Enigmatic Clown/Takumi Kageyama
A teacher at Taiyoutono who was well known for giving out sexual favors to students. Shortly after awakening to his Persona, he was kidnapped by Miss Yellow and the Gunman and transformed into a clown-like Shadow through some unknown process. He uses his new abilities to attack lone female students in the ruins and to force them to have sex with him. Later disintegrated by Miss Gold.
A strange young man wearing a big coat, holding a sword. Like the other humanoid shadows, he appears to have golden eyes, but has not actually shown the ability to turn into a shadow. He hasn't attacked anyone who didn't want him to, as of yet, and appears to be hostile against those working for Ms. Yellow.
An especially powerful Shadow. Little else is known about it other than that it is nearly invincible.
The Golden Butterfly
The being that led every Persona user to the ruins to awaken to their Persona.
"Hidden in darkness and fighting in darkness... Master of Wind and Lightning, the shadow of Nagashima: Mask Furai has arrived!"
Mask Furai is not so much a person as an enigmatic urban legend. For as long as anyone can remember, including the oldest residents of Nagashima, Mask Furai has inhabited the town. He is the shadow of Nagashima: a mythical warrior of the night that defends the innocent using his ninja prowess. He is, and seemingly forever has been, a rumor: he has only appeared to small groups of people or just one person at a time, all of whom swear that they saw him, even if no one else believes them.
For the residents of Nagashima, he has achieved inside joke status: whenever something inexplicably good happens, the citizens will thank Mask Furai jokingly. Whenever something bad happens, they'll wonder where Mask Furai went. Among the more juvenile members of town, Mask Furai is also jokingly implied to be absolutely amazing in bed.
Recently, after an absence of a couple years, Furai has re-emerged. He's made his presence no secret, fighting in broad daylight and speaking closely with many persona users, as well as forming a vague partnership with police officer Hideki Sanda. The Tanaka clan, the historic rivals of Mask Furai, also appear to have re-emerged in Nagashima as well, and he has been attempting to investigate the reasons behind their return, as well as dealing with the other rising threats within the town, all while still protecting the town from petty thieves and the like.
- Bifurcated Weapon: A Jousting Lance that can unfurl into a metal umbrella thing. Also seems to have the ability to pull tons of swords, usually katanas, out of Hammer Space.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: This Mask Furai's incredibly easy going, even in the middle of combat. Occasionally even engages in Flirting Under Fire, although he never actually seems serious about it.
- Cool Mask
- Dark and Troubled Past: Implied, with occasional mentions of a girl named Hitomi. Good luck finding out more, though.
- Eccentric Mentor: Becoming this to Hoshiko, somewhat.
- Elemental Powers: Confirmed to have a persona in universe, although what his persona actually is still has yet to be discovered. So far, he's got wind and electricity at his disposal.
- Gratuitous English: Furai actually knows some english... but not nearly enough to be useful.
- Incurable Cough of Death: At the end of one topic where Hoshiko expressed concern for his well being, Furai assured her that he was fine before leaving... and proceeding to cough up blood immediately after he left her home.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique
- Large Ham: See the character quote.
- Lightning Bruiser: Also somewhat literally.
- Master of Disguise: Seems to have a habit of disguising himself as random civilians, occasionally even other persona users he's not fully aware of. Tends to lead to funny moments.
- Ninja: Could be a McNinja, but no one's completely sure if he's from Japan or not, even if he does wear green.
- Rule of Cool: Seems to run off of this, as well as Rule of Funny.
- Stealth Expert:
- The Faceless: Even Hoshiko has only managed to see a bit of his chin.