open/close all folders
Only Sane Man of his group of childhood friends, Kaname is a studious person, being both Class Representative and Student Council President, and is often the joke of his friends.
- Almost Kiss: With Hisako in Chapter 61.
- Childhood Friends: With Shun, Yuki, Yuta, and Hisako.
- In-Series Nickname: "Kaname-chi".
- Likes Older Women: So far, he's only had crushes on two older women - his preschool teacher and his neighbor's sister. This is subverted with his recent Ship Tease and Almost Kiss with Hisako, who is a few years younger than him.
- Love Triangle: Is in a Sibling Triangle and a Triang Relations Type 5 with Hisako as (A), himself as (B), and Shizuna as (C), which may have changed to Type 1, given his Ship Tease with Hisako.
- Memento MacGuffin: A photo of Hisako, Hisako's sister Shizuna, and himself. This hints at his feelings for Shizuna.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't notice Hisako too much. At first.
- The Reliable One: Which leads to a very stressful cultural festival for him.
- Precocious Crush: Had a crush on his preschool teacher when he was a child.
- Ship Tease: With Hisako in Chapter 60 and Chapter 61.
- Sibling Triangle: Is in the middle of one as he is the oblivious object of Hisako's affections while the object of his affections is Hisako's older sister Shizuna.
- Sick Episode: In Chapter 7/Episode 4.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: It's stated that he has the highest grades in his class.
- Spoiled Sweet: A rare male example. Though Yuki and Yuta often make it look like he's really a Spoiled Brat.
Voiced by: Toshiyuki Toyonaga, Mari Hino (young)An effeminate young man and fellow childhood friend to Kaname, Yuki, and Yuta. He is kindhearted and is sometimes mistaken for a girl.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: An interesting case in that colored pages in the manga show him either with pink hair, like the anime, or light brown hair.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Even after he cuts his hair, he still gets mistaken for a girl.
- The Chick: Often gets stuck with female roles if the situation calls for it.
- Childhood Friends: To Kaname, Yuki, and Yuta.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Usually because they mistake him for a cute girl.
- In-Series Nickname: "Shun-chan".
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Shun is more girly than most girls.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: At first.
- Love Triangle: Is in a Triang Relations Type 5 with Chizuru as (A), Masaki as (B), and himself as (C).
- Morality Pet: Whenever the boys start playing rough with each other, they usually leave Shun out.
- Nice Guy: The nicest of the bunch.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't notice Masaki too much and only regards her as a friend.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Has pink hair and is nicest guy in the cast.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With his younger brother, Fuyuki. Chizuru is appalled by the stark difference in their personalities.
- Twice Shy: With Hinako, the maiko him and his friends encounter in Kyoto.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Unintentionally to Chizuru.
- Wrong Guy First: Likely in Masaki's case as her feelings for him are unrequited and she's slowly beginning to notice Chizuru.
Voiced by: Ryohei Kimura, Akane Ueda (young)One of the twins. Yuki has poor social skills but has great athleticism. He only does things if he gains something in return.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He develops some interest akin to a crush on the pretty school cafeteria worker Kayo, but she seems oblivious to his feelings and ends up leaving the school and moving away in order to pursue her career as a hair stylist.
- Big Brother Worship: He has quite the brother complex when it comes to Yuta.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: VERY LAZY.
- Childhood Friends: To Kaname, Shun, and Yuta.
- Genius Ditz: Is surprisingly good with sports when he actually puts some effort into it.
- Idiot Savant: See Genius Ditz.
- In-Series Nickname: "Yukki".
- Likes Older Women: Seemed awfully interested in the cafeteria worker Kayo.
- Momma's Boy: Vastly prefers his mother over his father.
- Not Good with People: He's not good at conversing with others beyond his group of friends and has to be forced into joining a school club. When he becomes interested in Kayo, he denies the idea of her being "pretty/beautiful" in his head and initially ignores her when he learns she is leaving the school.
- Otaku: People are always surprised that he's such an anime and manga geek considering he's not your stereotypical weird and unpopular anime-nerd.
- Single-Minded Twins: Subverted. Yuta is the more responsible one.
Voiced by: Kouki Uchiyama, Yuuko Mori (young)One of the twins. Yuta is the older twin, apparently the leader of the two and seemingly more mature than the rest of his friends.
- Chick Magnet: Shun mentions that Yuta's been popular since they were in elementary school.
- Childhood Friends: To Kaname, Shun, and Yuki.
- Dance of Romance: With Takahashi during the sports festival.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Although he can fool around just as well as Yuuki, he acts the responsible part when he feels it necessary.
- Like Brother and Sister: To Mary. He's always the one to first notice when she's feeling down.
- Nice Guy: If not for his occasional trolling of Kaname, his niceness would probably rival Shun.
- Momma's Boy: Though he gets along with his Dad better than Yuuki, the author has stated that both boys prefer their mother.
- Secret Relationship: Was in one with Takahashi in Chapter 9/Episode 7. He continues to have some Ship Tease with her in later chapters, though.
- Sick Episode: Had one in a flashback in Chapter 4/Episode 3.
- Single-Minded Twins: Subverted since Yuki is the lazy one.
Voiced by: Miyu Irino, Mana Hirata (young)A New Transfer Student who briefly played with Yuki when they were children. He joins the boys' group.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Masaki is oblivious to his feelings. Not so much after he confesses to her.
- Amusing Injuries: Is often the victim of this.
- Beauty Mark: He has one below his right eye and considers it his most "attractive" feature.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Masaki.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's half-German.
- Butt Monkey: He is often the brunt of many physical attacks from Kaname or Masaki.
- Cannot Spit It Out: His feelings for Masaki.
- Dance of Romance: With Masaki during the sports festival.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: It takes a while for Yuki to remember him.
- The Glomp: Is prone to doing this to Shun.
- The Nicknamer: Calls Yuki "Yukki", Yuta "Yutan", Shun "Shun-chan", Kaname "Kaname-chi", and Masaki "Mary".
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Only starts realizing his feelings for Masaki when he notices that she's in love with someone else.
- Green-Eyed Monster: See Green-Eyed Epiphany.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: He helps Masaki with her affections for Shun several times in order to make her happy (e.g. retrieving her bear key chain and cheering her up when she gets upset over Shun). Subverted in that that doesn't mean he won't stop pursuing her romantically.
- In-Series Nickname: His nickname is "Monkey Boy".
- Older Than They Look: Due to his height, he gets mistaken for a middle schooler.
- Sick Episode: In Chapter 44.
Voiced by: Miyuki SatouA first year high school student who is initially prideful and dislikes Shun. She soon develops a crush on him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Shun is oblivious to her feelings.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: The reason why she falls for Shun. And Chizuru.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Chizuru.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her feelings for Shun.
- Dance of Romance: With Chizuru during the sports festival.
- Dogged Nice Guy: A female example.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Her initial attitude, noted in her reaction to Shun giving her a bandage for her knee injury.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Next to both of her love interests. Or any of the guys. She's just really short.
- In-Series Nickname: "Mary".
- Love Interest: She is this to Chizuru. Her own love interest Shun, on the other hand, is oblivious of her affections.
- Love Triangle: Is in a Triang Relations Type 5 with Chizuru as (A), herself as (B), and Shun as (C).
- Memento MacGuffin: A bear key chain that she received from Shun.
- Oblivious to Love: Doesn't notice Chizuru too much. She starts to notice him more after he confesses to her and openly displays his affection to her.
- Older Than They Look: She's very short.
Voiced by: Kosuke ToriumiThe boys' teacher at Hamare High School. Koichi is cool and is a role model to others. He was an alumni at the school alongside his best friend Akira.
- The Ace: He's smart, attractive, kind, and athletic.
- Affectionate Nickname: Akira calls him "Kou-chan".
- Big Brother Instinct: Possibly because he already has a younger brother, the way he treats Akira can be seen as this.
- Childhood Friends: With Akira.
- Demoted to Extra: Appears less prominently in the anime due to almost all of his flashbacks with Akira not being shown in the first season.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Akira.
- Mistaken for Aliens: Unknowingly by Akira when they first met.
- New Transfer Student: When he transfers into Akira's class in elementary school.
Voiced by: Yuuki KajiKoichi's best friend.
- Affectionate Nickname: Taichi, Koichi's younger brother, calls him "Kirarin".
- Bishōnen: As an adult.
- Childhood Friends: With Koichi.
- Deliberately Cute Child: He manages to move on to the next grade despite his bad grades because he wouldn't stop crying in front of his teacher.
- Demoted to Extra: In the anime, anyway. He appears less prominently (though more so than Koichi) due to the first season not showing the flashbacks of his younger years with Koichi (aside from the minor preschool-visiting one) and decreasing his screen time in the episode he properly debuts in.
- First-Name Basis: Despite being far older, Shun and co address him by his first name. Likewise, Akira also addresses all of the boys by their first name.
- He Is All Grown Up: Compare and contrast how he looks now compared to his high school self.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Koichi.
- Hypocritical Humor: Akira's teasing towards Chizuru's height as the "Chocobanana" guy comes off as this given how much shorter he was in high school.
- Odd Friendship: With Koichi.
- Older Than They Look: In high school, he was short and resembled a child. Present day and nearing his thirties, he looks like a teenager.
- He still looks fairly young as an adult. Chizuru and co initially mistake him for a high schooler.
- No Indoor Voice: His default mode of speaking.
Voiced by: Sayuri YahagiKaname's neighbor and childhood friend.
- All Love Is Unrequited: She likes Kaname, but he's in love with her sister. He starts to notice her in Chapter 60, though.
- Childhood Friends: With Kaname.
- Girl Next Door: To Kaname.
- Love Triangle: Is in a Sibling Triangle and a Triang Relations Type 5 with herself as (A), Kaname as (B), and Shizuna as (C), which may have changed to Type 1, given Kaname's Ship Tease with her.
- Ship Tease: With Kaname in Chapter 60 and Chapter 61.
Voiced by: Mamiko NotoHisako's older sister.
- Love Triangle: Is in a Sibling Triangle and a Triang Relations Type 5 with Hisako as (A), Kaname as (B), and herself as (C), which may have changed to Type 1, given Kaname's Ship Tease with Hisako.
- No Name Given: In the manga, she only goes by the name "Oneesan" on her character bio. The anime gives her a name.
- Oblivious to Love: In regards to Kaname's feelings for her.
Kaori-senseiThe gang's (minus Chizuru) kindergarten teacher. Kaname had a Precocious Crush on her.
- Ship Tease: A bit with Koichi.
Rina TakahashiA girl who confesses to Yuta. They briefly go out together.
- Dance of Romance: With Yuta during the sports festival.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Decides to break up with Yuta because she felt it was wrong to force him to continue dating her when he doesn't feel the same way (though he was beginning to).
- Love Interest: To Yuta.
Youko TsukaharaKaname's mother.
- Oedipus Complex: The gang likes to tease that Kaname's relationship with her resembles this.
KayoA cafeteria worker at the gang's high school. Kayo used to be a hairstylist and becomes Yuki's love interest.
- Love Interest: To Yuki.
- Oblivious to Love: Of Yuki's feelings for her. Whether or not she realizes it or not by the time she decides to go back to beauty school (as she recalls Yuki trying to touch her hair while she was napping) is left to debate.
- Selective Obliviousness: See Oblivious to Love.
Ryounosuke MatsushitaA freshman student in Masaki's class and a member of the Manga Society. He is a big fan of Yuki.
- Shrinking Violet: Gender-flipped version.