open/close all folders
Kotaro Minami/Kamen Rider Black
Tropes that apply to him in general
- Abel And Cain: Abel to Nobuhiko's Cain.
- Anti Anti Christ: See Phlebotinum Rebel as seen below.
- Back from the Dead: After his death at the hands of Shadow Moon, the Whale Mutant manages to retrieved his corpse and revived him with a special potion.
- Came Back Strong: As a result of being revived by the Whale Mutant through a special potion, he manages to destroy Grand Mutant Darom with ease.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Hope Bringer
- Messianic Archetype
- Phlebotinum Rebel: Is one of Gorgom's Chosen Ones, but escaped brainwashing and turned on them.
- The Hero: The titular character of the series.
- The Hero Dies: Was killed off by Shadow Moon during their first match.
- Training from Hell
Tropes exclusive to him as Kamen Rider Black
- Bare-Fisted Monk
- Calling Your Attacks/Finishing Move: The signature Rider Punch and Rider Kick.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Twice. First when insects corrupt him and make him go berserk, and again when Shadow Moon overrides Black's control of him.
- Cool Bike
- Crazy Jealous Guy
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Non Human Side Kick
- Big Bad: In the final two episodes.
- Evil Is Visceral: He's a giant floating heart.
- Greater-Scope Villain: If it wasn't for him, not only would Kotaro and Nobuhiko have grown up leading normal lives, but Gorgom would not have been created, and Kotaro's adoptive father/Nobuhiko's father would still be alive
- Really 700 Years Old
- Satanic Archetype
- Walking Spoiler: It's really hard to talk about him without talking about spoiling the end of Black.
Nobuhiko Akizuki/Shadow Moon
- Abel And Cain: Cain to Kotaro's Abel.
- Anti Christ: Unlike Kotaro, Nobuhiko ended up become this figure thanks to the brainwashing he received from Gorgom.
- Big Bad: Once he's revived he assumes leadership of Gorgom.
- The Dragon: To the Creation King.
- Evil Counterpart: To Black.
- Hero Killer: With the help from the Creation King, he has managed to kill Black during their first match.
- Light Is Not Good
- Lightning Bruiser: Compared to Black's sleeker appearance, Shadow Moon has more armor-looking in appearance, yet his overall stats are equal to Black.
- Satanic Archetype: The Century Kings and the Creation King are essentially equivalent to the role of a demon king. This is lampshaded even futher in the manga adaptation by Shotaro Ishinomori where Black and Shadow Moon are addressed as "demon kings" instead of century kings.
- Shock and Awe: Comes in green, yellow, and red variants.
- Tragic Villain
- Unskilled, but Strong: A case could be made, since in their duel Black's winning for most of it despite them supposedly being equally powerful and Shadow Moon actually being armed. The tide only turns when the Creation King makes it seem like the spell's been broken over him, letting Shadow Moon get in a devastating surprise attack. Makes sense when you consider that Shadow Moon spends most of the show in a coma while Black's been sharpening his fighting skills on monster after monster.
High Priest/Grand Mutant Darom
- Big Creepy-Crawlies
- Evil Genius
- The Heavy: Default leader of the High Priests until Shadow Moon's revival.
- In the Hood
- Light Is Not Good
- Psychic Powers