Characters: H.I.V.E. Series
This page is a work in progress. Feel free to help if you can.
open/close all folders
- Always Save the Girl
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: He and Laura in Deadlock.
- Berserk Button: Harming any of his friends. The biggest immediately following Lucy's death.
- Black Eyesof Crazy: in Rogue.
- Blessed with Suck: Believes he is this because- get this- his photographic memory keeps him from having to study. He feels distant from the group because they have to worry about the tests and he doesn't.
- Cannot Spit It Out: in Aftershock, he spends half of a page trying to confess his love to Laura.
- Childhood Friends: Tom and Penny.
- Child Prodigy: He was one in flashbacks.
- Teen Genius: The series starts on his thirteenth birthday, just pushing him into this territory.
- Cloning Blues
- Clueless Chick Magnet: until Zero Hour.
- Doorstop Baby
- Dying Declaration of Love: Averted with a Not Quite Dead in Rogue, but he still confesses his love to Laura immediately before falling unconscious.
- Electronic Telepathy
- Evil Albino: Not quite evil, but certainly not all that pure either.
- Evil Genius: Sometimes, though like most of the good guys he's more Affably Evil.
- Fatal Attractor: His first girlfriend dies 36 hours after getting together with him, his second girlfriend is kidnapped and taken to the Glasshouse seven minutes after their first kiss..... poor guy.
- Grand Theft Me: Not only does Overlord/Number One want to do this to Otto, but he does get taken over by the Animus at the end of Dreadnought.
- Heroes Want Redheads: He hasn't stopped talking about how pretty Laura's eyes are since book one.
- Heroic Albino: Well, he is.
- I Uh You Too
- Love Makes You Dumb: basically the entire point of book seven.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Sort of. He's actually Number One's clone.
- Meaningful Name: People try to kill, stop or derail Malpense, but he keeps turning up. Like a bad penny.
- Pair the Smart Ones: with Laura.
- Psychic Nosebleed
- Sister Ship: A mere one book after Shelby and Wing begin dating, he confesses his love (again) to Laura. He and Wing are roommates, as are Shelby and Laura.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: His social awkwardness is directly proportional to the attractiveness of the girl he is talking to.
- Undying Loyalty: At the end of Aftershock, he takes the majority of the blame for the massacre of the Alpha stream, so that the last three members can stay at the H.I.V.E. after his expulsion.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In Book one:
'There are twenty-three ways of combatting an assailant armed with a blunt object from this position. Four of them will kill you, twelve of them will permanently disable you and the remaining seven will cause injuries that, while being extremely painful, you will at least recover from. In all of them I take that pipe from you and use it on you.'
- Beta Couple: with Shelby
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Shelby from book two onward.
- The Big Guy - Shelby even calls him this, although he's actually very intelligent.
- Dating Catwoman
- No Sense of Humor: Shelby calls him out on this on multiple occasions.
- Official Couple: With Shelby in book six.
- The Stoic
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Just ask Shelby.
- Token Good Teammate: None of the main characters are evil, but Wing certainly seems to have more of a conscience than the others. He's the only one of the main four who didn't break the law before coming to HIVE.
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving: she and Otto in Deadlock.
- Badass Pacifist
- Beauty Brainsand Brawn: the brains of the three-girl team consisting of her, Shelby(Brawn) and Lucy(Brains).
- Break the Cutie: Very much so in Aftershock, when she is forced to betray the H.I.V.E. and cause the death of almost all of the Alpha stream.
- Challenge Seeker: She and Otto compete to steal the exam answers so often that she uses this excuse in Aftershock to get the location of the Hunt grounds.
- Claustrophobia: First demonstrates this in Escape Velocity.
- The Commies Made Me Do It: Played straight. Pretty much the whole point of Aftershock. They use her brother.
- Cute Bookworm: How many times does Otto find her in the library?
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Monster: After she finds out about Otto and Lucy's relationship in Zero Hour.
- Green Eyes: With Otto as a narrator, it's impossible to forget how pretty he thinks they are.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: The location for the Hunt in exchange for the life of her family.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The Contessa is her favorite teacher.
- Pair the Smart Ones: with Otto.
- Odd Friendship: With Shelby.
- Scotland: She is Scottish, and it shows in her speech.
- Significant Green-Eyed Redhead
- Teen Genius
- Temporarily a Villain: In book seven.
- Tsundere: More 'dere' than 'tsun', but she has her moments.
- Women Are Wiser: States multiple times that she is always right. In Aftershock, Otto tells her everything will be all right, and she should believe her because "I'm always right, remember?" This disregard for her previous statements proves Otto wrong, as less than ten minutes later all hell breaks loose.
Block and Tackle
The Headmaster of HIVE.
- Affably Evil: He's very nice for a high ranking member of the world's largest criminal organisation.
- Bait-and-Switch Tyrant: He's technically a villain in book one, but that's just because Otto, our narrator, has not yet gotten to know him.
- Berserk Button: Do NOT harm any of the students of H.I.V.E, or "there will be consequences"
- Dragon Ascendant: If he could have been considered The Dragon to Number One, then his promotion counts as this.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: Not afraid to toss people in at the deep end as deemed necessary.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: In Zero Hour, after surviving all sorts for the last five books, he is killed early on by an animus controlled Raven.
Contessa Maria Sinistre
Not technically 'staff' but he does exist for the sole purpose of serving HIVE.
Also not technically staff, but she works for Nero rather than GLOVE.
- Affably Evil: To be fair to him, Number One was seemingly a good enough guy for the head of a global league of villainy, and saved Dr. Nero's life. The really evil stuff was all done really by Overlord.
- No Name Given: Although it's implied to be Otto Malpense.