Characters: GL Orange Lantern Corps
Back to the Green Lantern character sheet
Leader: Agent Orange
Base of Operations: Earth (formerly Okaara)
Powered by the Orange Light of Avarice, the Orange Lanterns are a legion of gibbering phantoms emanated from the mind of Agent Orange, the keeper of the Orange Light. They are constructs created in the image of Agent Orange's victims, whose very identities he has stolen.
- And I Must Scream: Glomulus's actions in New Guardians lends credence to the theory that all of the Orange Lanterns Larfleeze created are indeed the actual souls of the people he killed and "stole" and not just replicas. Further supported by Invictus, who claims the reason Larfleeze couldn't create a copy of one of Invictus' people is because when they die their soul passes on to other members of their race, so Larfleeze can't copy it.
- Confirmed in Larfleeze's comic book series.
- Back from the Dead: Once during Blackest Night, and again thanks to The Wanderer.
- Fighting Spirit
- Good Thing You Can Heal: As constructs, if an Orange Lantern is wiped out, Agent Orange can just make another.
- Hive Mind: To a point, anyway. After working with the New Guardians, Glomulus defied Larfleeze to help "Lanternkyle".
- Klingon Promotion: Whoever kills Agent Orange gets to be the new Agent Orange.
- Large Ham: MINE!
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Every one of the Lantern Oaths rhyme, even the Black Lantern Corps. Larfleeze, as shown in Wrath Of The First Lantern and its Grand Finale... doesn't follow that rule.
- Oddly Small Organization: Agent Orange is the first, last, and only true member of the Orange Lanterns; all other members are orange light constructs. And Lex Luthor was deputized that one time, but that really didn't go well. Justified as the orange light embodies extreme greed, so of course the lantern-holder wouldn't want to share the power with anyone else.
- One-Man Army: Agent Orange himself.
- Sealed Good in a Can/Sealed Evil in a Can: Both, given the vagueness on the backstories of most of the Orange Lanterns.
- Shapeshifter: The Lanterns are capable of this as they're only constructs.
- Shrug of God: Many fans have been asking when the Orange Lantern oath would be revealed. The response was basically "soon" (back in 2010). It's actually taken so long it was made fun of by Lex in Action Comics. It hasn't stopped fans from inventing their own versions and attempting to pass them off as official on Wikipedia.
- There Can Be Only One: Unlike the other colors, the orange light is at its strongest when channeled through a single user.
- Turned Against Their Masters: Larfleeze thinks he did this to the people who enslaved him. His Corps pull this on him several times.
- We Are Struggling Together: Once they are freed from Larfleeze's ring, they proceed to argue with one another constantly after they defeat their captor.
- Your Soul Is Mine: In New 52 continuity, at least, the Orange Lantern can capture the souls of those killed by the bearer, and these are used to create the "Orange Lantern Constructs".
Notable Orange Lanterns
AKA: Agent Orange (also, "Larfleeze" is stated to be an alias; his real name is unknown)
Homeworld: Earth (originally Ogatoo, then Okaara)
The only true member of the Orange Lantern Corps. Billions of years ago, Larfleeze was part of a band of theives that stole Parallax from the Guardians. While hiding out in the Vega System (and following a map they also stole), Larfleeze and his remaining men found the Orange Central Power Battery (unlike the others, it's small and handheld). While they began to fight over it, the Guardians and the Manhunters showed up and demanded Parallax. In return, they gave them the Vega System and the power of the Orange Light of Avarice; however because of its nature, the Corps can have only one member (as greed is inimical to sharing) and so Larfleeze killed them all. He makes up for the lack of numbers by making legions of constructs of all the people he has killed (and eaten) over the long, long time of being Agent Orange.
- A God Am I: After becoming a living Orange Power Battery.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Because of his overwhelming greed, his attention is quickly diverted when something pops up that he decides he wants.
- Big Eater
- Horror Hunger: The orange light fills its host with constant, ravenous, endless hunger. When Hal first encountered Larfleeze, Agent Orange was happily devouring a big table of disgusting, rotten food.
- Blessed with Suck: Before becoming Agent Orange, Larfleeze was one of five thieves who successfully pulled a heist on the Guardians of the Universe. Afterwards, he has enough power to intimidate the Guardians themselves, but the greed inherent in the orange light cripples his mind to the point that he can rarely think of anything more than food and immediate possessions. When separated from the ring for a short while, the last thing he says before it lands on his finger again is "Keep it away from me!"
- Body Snatcher: Though his constructs are not intended to fool anyone, they're capable of everything their stolen identities could do in life.
- Born Into Slavery - A small glimpse into his past shown in the Book of Black shows that he was a mining slave as a child. Being forced to compete with the other kids for who gets to eat is implied to have fostered his hatred of sharing.
- Collector of the Strange
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: You do not want to be the one to tell him he can't have something. New Guardians shows that he's not only powerful, he can be quite cunning when he wants to be.
- In an alternate reality, Larfleeze succeeded in getting a Blue Lantern ring for himself. With his insanity cured and a limitless supply of energy, he proceeded to murder all the Guardians and plunder all in his wake.
- Delusions of Eloquence
- Disposable Woman: His incredibly abusive wife that he was paired up with by his masters. It's implied that she either died during a cave-in or by Larfleeze's own hand.
- Driven to Suicide: After Sayd hypnotized him into destroying his treasure horde, he puts himself and Stargrave on meteor headed toward the Creation Point to be incinerated.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Families: At his core, he does still harbour a deep sorrow at the absence of the family he loves and hasn't seen for eons. He does eventually reunite with them in the epilogue of the Johns run, but old habits die hard and he ruins everything with his greed.
- Oddly enough, they were highly abusive, demanding, and the only reason they didn't sell him off was because they had all ready sold too many of their children to legally do that.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He is absolutely horrified by the possiblity that he might have actually been a jailer who helped the invaders that conquered his people instead of a slave.
- Evil All Along: Fears that he was this even before his criminal career.
- Evil Is Petty: He has the power to rival most demi-gods, and yet all he does is want (and take) things.
- Faux Affably Evil: He could challenge the Joker in being DC's Trope Codifier for this.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets really angry when he doesn't get his way.
- Hive Queen
- It Must Be Mine
- Living Weapon: His personal ring might be this. It has a tendency to pointedly avoid conversation with him for months on end. There's the implication that he might be imagining that it can think, but its own stated reason for its inconsistent speech is that it doesn't like talking with Larfleeze that much.
- Made a Slave: Maybe.
- Mind Rape: Those that try to attack his mind are subjected to this and can potentially have their psyches "eaten" in return. However, attempts to give him a Mind Hug are not met with any resistance.
- Multiple Choice Past: Due to his immense age, many of his memories have been forgotten or distorted. He also has a tendency to lie or omit information when he talks about his past. At one point he questions why a vision of his mother would have a different version of what planet he comes from, and is told it's because he doesn't really have the slightest idea.
- Pig Man: When first meeting him, Hal thought he looked like a wild boar crossed with Gonzo.
- Though fans tend to say that Larfleeze looks more like a horse or a baboon.
- In his ongoing, he looks like a cross between that and a dog. This resemblance is noted by several characters in the book.
- Psychopathic Manchild: At his core Larfleeze is a greedy child with too much power.
- Really 700 Years Old: Larfleeze is one of the oldest beings in the Universe. This also makes the Orange Lanterns the oldest Corps.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Larfleeze's ring is more sane, but greedier. Larfleeze is crazier, but less greedy.
- Shout-Out: During a story framing sequence, Larfleeze is seen hoarding the 7200 rings of the potential Corps, and swimming through them.
- Further hammered in when Hal Jordan refers to him as being like "Uncle Scrooge if he had a power ring."
- Start My Own: An appropriately bizarre example. After his original Orange Lantern Corps declare that they will fight him from within his ring, even if he does consume them again, Larfleeze ditches them and flies off to create a NEW version of the organization.
- Strapped To A Rocket: How he gets rid of L'aord when he finds out that the demigod is too powerful to be killed.
- Treasure Room: Larfleeze owns one filled with all the things he's collected over the eons, and is constantly looking to add to it. In the past, he tried to steal the Blue Lantern Corps power battery. He's recently acquired the petrified remains of Invictus, and is also full of orange power rings from all the beings he's converted into constructs.
- Villainous Glutton
- Wrestler in All of Us: Threatens to dropkick Stargrave into the Big Crunch if he keeps on interrupting him.
Glomulus was originally the resident pet in an Okaaran tavern, purchased to keep the place clean by eating scraps off the floor. Then he got some blood on him during a Bar Brawl
- and decided it was tasty. After eating everyone in the bar, he wandered into the forest, where he encountered and was consumed by Larfleeze.
He's now a part of the New Guardians, as Larfleeze sent him out to find who's trying to take rings from each corps, including (especially) his own. Or at least, that's the cover story, as Larfleeze manipulated the group into fighting another of his enemies.
- Beware the Silly Ones: He looks like a roughly spherical head with seven spindly little limbs sticking out of it. Before becoming an Orange Lantern, a single taste of blood prompted him to kill and eat an entire bar full of super-powered toughs.
- Big Eater: What ultimately caused him to become an Orange Lantern.
- The Quisling: Immediately turns on the other Orange Lanterns once their rebellion against Larfleeze fails.
- Team Pet
- Verbal Tic: Hee!
- You No Take Candle
Ophidian the Tempter
The Avarice Entity—the living embodiment of the Orange Light, given life and strength from the envy, gluttony, and greed of every sentient being. Ophidian inhabits the Orange Power Battery and speaks directly to Agent Orange's mind, inflaming his avarice. Because of its supreme greed, Ophidian hates its servitude to Agent Orange.
Orange Lantern Constructs
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gave back one planet's entire infant population when its people revealed they do not have any valuables except for their own children. Although he wasn't doing it to be nice. Blume just felt that the babies had no material value.
- A God Am I: Combined with Jerkass Gods, he demanded people give him their valuables. Although, he wasn't ALL bad. See above.
- Dark Action Girl: Perhaps the most violent and irritable of the group after her resurrection
- No Accounting for Taste: She's had a longtime crush on Glomulus for years. He does not reciprocate due to not being all that interested and being unable to reproduce that way.
- Wreathed in Flames
- Sound Dancer
- All Love Is Unrequited: Was in love with Clypta, who was actually in love with Glomulus
- The Leader: Becomes the de facto leader of the ressurected Orange Lanterns by virtue of being the most diplomatic and intelligent among them.
- Sayd (See "Green Lantern Corps"; in the "Guardians of the Universe" folder) - Guardian of the Orange Lantern Corps, ever since she promised her servitude to Larfleeze to get his help during the Blackest Night.
- Pulsar Stargrave - Snarky Coluan butler and Only Sane Man to Larfleeze, introduced in the backup strips in Threshold.