Characters: GL Blue Lantern Corps
Back to the Green Lantern character sheet
Leaders: formerly Ganthet and Sayd; currently Saint Walker
Base of Operations: Formerly Odym and Elpis; currently none
The second of the new colors to be harnessed. The Oans Ganthet and Sayd left the Guardians of the Universe due to disagreement over what to do about the coming war of colors and the Blackest Night
prophecy. Blue Lanterns are few in number as the selection process goes slowly, and they have a symbiotic relationship with the Green Lanterns. The Blue Light of hope is of little use on its own, allowing only flight and personal forcefields (and sometimes
healing) but in the presence of a Green Lantern, the will of the Green gives hope tremendous power, and the Blue Lanterns can in turn supercharge the Green Lanterns.
- Good Hurts Evil: The power of hope generated by the Blue Lantern rings negatively affects all of the emotional powers on the negative end of the emotional spectrum. to wit:
- Blue light drains the energy from Sinestro Corps rings because hope dispels fear.
- The orange power of avarice cannot absorb or consume the blue light of hope because hope is selfless by nature
- The blue light of hope is the only power that can purge the red energy of rage from red lantern and remove a red ring without killing the host for the red ring.
- Hope Bringers: Only those who can inspire great hope are inducted into the Blue Lanterns.
- Hope Springs Eternal: All Blue Lanterns are powered by hope. If they lose hope they cease as a Blue Lantern.
- Imagination-Based Superpower: Blue power rings have the same powers as green ones, plus healing, the power to soothe emotions, and the power to instill hope in masses of people. However, most of their powers only function in the presence of a Green Lantern.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: To the point that Blue Lanterns are immune to the power of Sinestro Corpsmen and Orange Lanterns, and can purge a Red Lantern of his/her rage.
- Kryptonite Factor: When the green light of willpower is nearby, the blue light becomes the strongest of all seven. But by itself, the blue light is the weakest of all seven. Also, the rings can only work depending on the sincerity of their wielders. If the Despair Event Horizon has been crossed, the rings stop functioning properly and leave their current owner.
- The Medic: Healing is one the Blue Light's powers.
- The Pollyannas: They are always hoping for the best.
- Saintly Church: They are monastic order of Hope Bringers.
- Survival Mantra: "All will be well."
Notable Blue Lanterns
The Hope Entity—the living embodiment of the Blue Light, born from the first prayer and given strength from the hope and faith of every sentient being. The symbol of the Blue Lantern Corps is based heavily on Adara's winged figure. Much like Ion, Adara seems to be a passive influence on its host, merely lending them its great power as opposed to outright possession like Parallax.
Saint Bro'Dee Walker
The living saint of the Blue Lantern Corps, Walker of planet Astonia was the very first member inducted into the Corps by Ganthet and Sayd. His planet doomed by its dying sun, Walker and his family set out on a pilgrimage to a mountain summit where, it was prophesied, a messiah would appear. Due to a series of tragic accidents, all of Walker's family died, and when he finally reached the summit, Walker called out in anger that no messiah was to be found. It was then that he looked into a reflective stone on the mountain summit and realized that he
was the messiah. He returned to his distraught people and preached to them until they became peaceful in their final moments before a Blue Lantern Ring found him. Restoring his dying sun and saving his world, Saint Walker traveled to Odym to serve the Blue Lantern Corps.
Hand-picked by Saint Walker, Brother Warth is the second Blue Lantern. This serene alien resembles a humanoid elephant bedecked in gold jewelry. Warth aided the Green Lanterns against the Red Lanterns on planet Ysmault. He serves as the primary trainer for Blue Lantern recruits.
Other Blue Lanterns
- Brother Hynn
- Sister Sercy
- Brother Phräm: An unseen blue lantern who was among several lanterns from each Corps to have their rings become drawn to Kyle Rayner for unknown reasons.
- Brother Shon: A novice Blue Lantern who succumbs to despair when the Reach attacks Odym, causing him to lose hope and his ring to abandon him, leaving him to fall to his death.
- Barry Allen was temporarily deputized in Blackest Night.