open/close all folders
Introduced in Black★Rock Shooter OVA
HumansMain human characters who attend Mato's school.
Mato KuroiA happy-go-lucky girl who's very excitable and hyper. She's very naïve, however, and very closed-minded; she likes to marvel at things, and enjoys playing the guitar. She's also very skilled at basketball and is a bit of a Tomboy (although not quite as much as one would expect from her appearance).In the 2012 anime, she seems to be fond of philosophical musings or just "zoning out" and staring at stuff. Saya notes that she is innocent, and that she has never hated anyone nor has, up until now, anyone hated her.Has a younger brother, Hiro, and a mother who shows up a bit onscreen. Her dad is never shown, however the 2012 anime says he is often on business trips.Her "other self" is Black★Rock Shooter. In both incarnations, she ends up merging with her at some point.
- Voiced by: Kana Hanazawa.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Doesn't wear black clothes, but a lot of her clothing has a blue/star motif.
- Genki Girl: To a certain extent.
- Girlish Pigtails: Very short ones.
- Meaningful Name: "Kuroi" means "black clothes"; "Mato" with the proper kanji means "target" (as in target shooting). Her other self is Black★Rock Shooter, who certainly wears black clothes and works a lot with target shooting, her target being the Dead Master.
- The aforementioned kanji for "mato" also is used to form adjectives, so together "Kuroi Mato" could just mean "black-clothed."
- In basketball, one "shoots" baskets.
- Ordinary Junior High School Student: Well, until the end of the OVA.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Yomi.
- Tomboy: Not quite a Bokukko, but according to the OVA, she evidently gained her basketball skills from practicing with boys in the park.
2012 Anime Tropes
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: She goes even deeper to fight Insane Black★Rock Shooter.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted, in contrast to the Otherselves, because she heals slower than them. When she, in form of Black★Rock Shooter, faces Insane Black★Rock Shooter and refuses to attack her, Insane Black★Rock Shooter ruthlessly beats the shit out of her and specifically attacks her face and limbs. Not even a minute later, Mato is down with an extremely bruised and bleeding face and a horribly twisted leg.
- BFG: During her fight with Insane Black★Rock Shooter, she pulls out one so big the muzzle itself is as tall as Insane Black★Rock Shooter.
- Combined Energy Attack: Her ultimate attack, also counts as a Wave Motion Gun. She fires it at Insane Black★Rock Shooter point blank.
- Disappeared Dad: Specifically stated to be on a business trip here.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Starts off a brand new friendship with Yomi, Kagari, and the real Yuu in the finale.
- Freak Out: After merging with Black★Rock Shooter, she finds that she killed Yomi/Dead Master. The result turns them into Insane Black★Rock Shooter.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Falls into one after merging with Black★Rock Shooter and becoming Insane Black★Rock Shooter. Strength brings her back to reality to some degree, but she's still confused about what's going on.
- In the End, You Are on Your Own: Defeats Insane Black★Rock Shooter herself - though with help from a Combined Energy Attack.
- The Philosopher: She sometimes lapses into internal monologue about "the color of things" and "birds". She even sees herself as "black".
- Pure Is Not Good: It's implied that Black★Rock Shooter is born of her desire to help people, and the reason why Black★Rock Shooter is so strong is because Mato is such a good girl with no worries... and she wants other people to not suffer just like her. Ignoring her own worries ends up turning B★RS into The Juggernaut in the Otherworld. And from what it looks like, that mentality had existed and was rooted in her since she was a toddler!
- Psychic Dreams for Everyone: Dreams about the Otherworld.
- Stepford Smiler: She's just better at it than the other girls. She hides her pain well, and instead tries to solve other people's problems - putting her in denial that her problems exist and eventually making her think she's running away from them.
- Synchronization: After merging with Black Rock Shooter, she feels all her pain instead of the other way around.
- Unflinching Walk: In the finale, she just keeps walking into Insane Black★Rock Shooter's attack, so she can fire a rainbow colored Spirit Bomb laser at point-blank range.
Yomi TakanashiA girl who catches Mato's eye due to her Friendless Background and her having been dropped off by a car on her first day. As fate would have it, she lives in the same neighborhood as Mato. She takes the train with Mato from then on, and also joins the volleyball team (which she shows skill in) after watching Mato in the basketball team. Her parents are very rich.She starts to drift away from Mato after she is separated from her class-wise in their second year, and her disappearance by possession/merging fuels the main plot. Her "other self" is the Dead Master.The 2012 anime plays her a little differently, not only giving her glasses but changing her personality a bit. Unlike before, she is unwilling to make friends both due to the fear she will hurt them and because Kagari seems to have her on a leash. Again, she seems to not like Yuu, although this is rationalized a bit better than it was in the OVA.
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro.
- Green-Eyed Monster: A source of conflict in both the OVA and broadcast anime is the jealousy she feels regarding Yuu and Mato's friendship. It gets worse in the TV anime, where she also has to contend with Kagari's new friends.
- Meaningful Name: Her name, written with different kanji, means "underworld", which is fitting when you realize her "other self" is the Dead Master.
- Ojou: In the OVA, she apparently lived in Germany for a period of time (but is not very good at German). She was dropped off at school by her dad in a car on her first day (which is rare in Japan), and her parents hired a detective when she goes missing - she even has the first kind of Ojou personality; kind and gentle. In the 2012 anime, she also lives in a huge mansion.
- Ojou Ringlets: An odd variation, as the curls appear on the front part of her hair, but behind her shoulders, her hair is cropped closely to her head. The 2012 anime does this a little differently, as at one point she lets her hair down and it looks normal, albeit a little long, implying she wears pigtails of some sort.
- Ordinary Junior High School Student: It's what she tries her earnest to look like in front of others, including Mato.
- Punny Name / Alternate Character Reading: Her family name, "Takanashi". (It's written "kotori-asobi", "little birds playing", but pronounced as "no hawks" - because there are no hawks where little birds play.)
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: With Mato.
- Huge Schoolgirl: Not all that tall, but in the OVA, Mato seems to point it out constantly. (It is to be noted, however, that by normal human proportions, she is significantly taller than Mato.) Yomi also admits to having a complex about her height.
- New Transfer Student: In the OVA, her backstory is that she lived in Germany for a while. Her name, "Takanashi", is also not very common in Mato's area.
2012 Anime Tropes
- Creator Breakdown: In-Universe; her paintings get a lot creepier as her loneliness worsens.
- Fragile Flower: She cries a lot. Though this is probably more a by-product of her very, very parasitic relationship with Kagari.
- Freak Out: In Episode 4, after Kagari innocently tells Yomi that they're done being friends, the latter snaps.
- Ironic Echo:
- At the hospital, when Kagari and Yomi hear Mato (who has been a thorn in Kagari's skin) behind their door, Kagari snaps. In Episode 4, when Kagari tells Yomi that they're done being long-time friends, Yomi snaps instead.
- Also has one of sorts to the original OVA; in the OVA, Mato was the one who looked for Yomi when she went missing; in the anime, it's the complete opposite.
- It's All My Fault: The reason for her current relationship with Kagari, given the latter got caught in a car accident while trying to reach out to Yomi and became chair-ridden.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The death of Dead Master causes her to lose her memories of how her hair was cut, and she loses her feelings for Mato to the point where she deletes Mato's mail from her phone. At least until Episode 7, when she actually manages to get said memories back by thinking about it hard enough once Mato's disappearance affects her badly.
- Meganekko: Wears glasses in this version.
- Yandere: Acts like one to both Mato and Kagari, if Episode 4 is anything to go by. When she gets a text from Yuu with her claim of being "Mato's friend", Yomi snaps and almost destroys her phone! It gets really, really worse at the end of the episode when Kagari tells her that their friendship is over! Basically, Yomi has a psychological need to have someone need her more than anyone else.
Yuu KoutariThe manager of the basketball team at Mato and Yomi's junior high school.In the OVA, Mato only respects her in her first year, but becomes close friends with Yuu in her second year (as they are in the same class together, and Mato and Yomi are not). Her "other self" is implied to be Strength.In the 2012 anime, she is a childhood friend of Mato who often skips classes. She is also fond of coffee. She is in fact Strength, having switched places with the real Yuu years before the beginning of the show. As such she is not entirely real, though she can still interact with the physical world.Tropes related to the original Yuu Koutari go in the Strength section below.Voiced by Kana Asumi.
- Genki Girl: Hardly anything upsets her, and she's always there to cheer up Mato.
- Only One Name: She was only given a last name in the 2012 Anime.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: Did not appear in the pilot or the trailer, and her existence was unknown before a magazine and the website revealed her existence.
2012 Anime Tropes
- A Darker Me: Inverts this trope. The actual Yuu is more savage than Strength, once Strength gains emotions and begins to interact with the real world.
- Ascended Extra: In the OVA, she was simply a girl who seemed to be awkward around Yomi, generally acting as an annoyance to Yomi and being extremely pissed off about being left out from Mato and Yomi's friendship. The anime? :Not only is she much nicer and assertive, she's actually Strength. Quite a departure.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Has a strong attachment to Mato because she was her only friend when she was younger and all alone.
- Casts No Shadow: Strength-as-Yuu has no shadow in any of the scenes she's in when everyone else very clearly has one. This sets up Episode 5's big reveal.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Last episode. She gets better in The Stinger.
- Driven to Suicide / Heroic Sacrifice: Originally tries to kill herself to stop the real Yuu's pain. She eventually goes through with it in the final episode, literally breaking into pieces and forcing Yuu to enter the real world. However, she is seen restored as Strength in The Stinger.
- Dying Declaration of Love: To the real Yuu, before crumbling away.
- Humanity Ensues: She develops human emotions because of Yuu's pain, and then takes her place in the real world.
- Invisible to Normals: Invisible to Those Who Don't Have An Otherself
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero / Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Her intention was to help the Otherworld and Saya and she felt like she could fix the situation by merging Mato with Black★Rock Shooter. Instead, it trapped Mato within her and made everything worse.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: She only manifests as Yuu to a certain degree in the real world, as she has no shadow and only under certain circumstances is her existence acknowledged by other people.
- Spirit Advisor: Is this for Saya to some degree.
- Straight Man: To Mato.
- Undead Tax Exemption: As far as the public real world is concerned, Yuu disappeared several years ago (when Saya was a High School Student) and switched with Strength, and Strength is not acknowledged as existing by anyone. That original Yuu can be a New Transfer Student in the last episode would require quite a bit of paperwork.
- Walking Spoiler: She's introduced as Mato's childhood friend and one who seems to have no connection with the plot of Black Rock Shooter whatsoever. Then she's revealed to have an Other Self known as Strength, and on top of that, Yuu and Strength actually swapped bodies.
Black★Rock Shooter (Anime) / Insane Black★Rock ShooterA mysterious girl in the Otherworld who seems to be a good fighter, but does not give any reason for her fighting. Seems to be a silent hero.In the OVA, she loses her katana, the "black blade", and, according to some interpretations, her life in a battle with Black★Gold Saw and fights with the ★rock cannon, which can fire 20 bullets per second.In the 2012 anime, she represents Mato's desire to solve other people's problems and ignore her own, and thus goes on a rampage to kill "other selves" throughout the Otherworld. This causes Saya to panic and quickly traumatize the other girls in the hopes of awakening "other selves" to stop her progress and protect the Otherworld for the original Yuu. Mato ends up merging with her in Episode 5, but the shock of seeing Dead Master die transforms them into Insane Black★Rock Shooter (see below).Since she is the "other self" of Mato, she is also voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
- Badass Longcoat: With a star on the back.
- BFG: The ★rock cannon.
- Black Swords Are Better: Generally has such a sword.
- Girlish Pigtails: Doesn't define her personality at all, however; they're also extremely long, and one of them is shorter than the other.
- In the Hood: Her Badass Longcoat always featured one, but she has always kept it down until the 2012 Anime.
- Morph Weapon: Rock Shooter's "★rock cannon", which can transform into a small katana "black blade" and also into a 30mm Gatling Cannon.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: The ★rock cannon is almost as big as her.
- Stripperiffic: Bikini top, booty shorts, thigh-high boots, and a hoodie.
- Super Strength: May or may not have this, as in the OVA, she breaks the Dead Master's chains with her bare hands; however, this could just be from being a Determinator.
- There's also the fact that she can even lift her cannon, let alone wield it as both a ranged and melee weapon.
- Sword and Gun: She loses the sword in the first scene of the OVA, however; instead, her gun gets to become some sword-like blunt object.
- The Rival: Can be interpreted as this to Dead Master.
- The Voiceless / The Speechless: Does not speak at all; whether she does so because she is The Stoic or because she cannot is unknown. She finally talks to Mato at the end of the OVA, although this may be because Mato is her human counterpart.
- At the end of the first anime episode it seems she's incapable of making any sound as she gets impaled by Chariot and opens her mouth in a scream but there's no sound at all, although this could be just stylistic.
- In the end of the 2012 anime, she does speak, albeit telepathically.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a scar on her hip and another on her leg; it's likely from the impact of Black★Gold Saw's final stroke.
2012 Anime Tropes applying to normal Black★Rock Shooter
- Atop a Mountain of Corpses: B★RS in the third episode.
- Anti-Hero: Seems to be completely fine with massacring "other selves" without restraint. This bothers Saya very much, but it concurs with Mato's belief that the Otherworld is wrong.
- Big Bad: Technically.
- Cartridges in Flight: B★RS's minigun appears to eject entire bullets instead of spent casings.
- Dark Action Girl: Sort of. She's shown as an Anti-Villain Protagonist in this continuity.]]
- Defeat Means Friendship: Mato pretty much brings B★RS under control after defeating her.
- Disney Death / Unexplained Recovery: Or something like that. She's destroyed as Insane Black★Rock Shooter but is seen unharmed as Black★Rock Shooter shortly thereafter.
- The ending hints that as long as their real-life counterparts are alive, the girls' Otherselves will also continue to exist, to help shoulder their grief and sorrows as the girls continue living.
- Gatling Good: Her response to getting a giant waterfall of macaroons thrown at her is to upgrade her gun into a minigun and fire so many bullets that they scatter everywhere. She later uses a stationary double minigun for a brief moment.
- Heel–Face Turn: The end of the final episode.
- (Non-) Human Pincushion
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: It's just the first episode and B★RS is already ran through by Chariot's wedge-like form, which is as big as a bus.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Decapitating/killing "other selves" causes people to lose their grief. It also causes them to lose the attachments that caused said grief.
- Her unchecked progress in destroying the Otherworld is what is getting Saya to try to stress out the girls in the hopes of getting "other selves" to stop her.
- Offhand Backhand: Chariot tries to rush at her with a sword when her back is turned, but instead B★RS ignites her eye-fire and beheads her, barely even turning at all.
- Made of Iron: She takes enough damage to kill a human several times over in the first episode alone.
- More Dakka: See Gatling Good.
- Nineties Anti-Hero: Badass Longcoat, Stripperiffic, talks with her humongous gun and katana, vague ill-defined powers revolving about being Made of Iron and Good Thing You Can Heal and she's not afraid in the least to use lethal force.
- Perpetual-Motion Monster: All otherselves doesn't need sustenance other than justification for their existence — the continual suffering of their humanselves for them to shoulder. But B★RS is especially notable in this regard, because she invades the realm of other otherselves to kill them.
- Sword and Gun: Wields both her sword and cannon at the same time in episode 5.
- Villain Protagonist: In a sense.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Sort of. Technically she has no emotions and only acts by instinct - however she was born of a desire to help people.
2012 Anime Tropes applying to Insane Black★Rock Shooter
- An Arm and a Leg: Arm with your main weapon on it injured? Rip the dang thing off.
- Ax-Crazy: There's a reason she's referred to as ''Insane.''
- BFS Below The Shoulder
- Gunblade: Also can be used to shoot a MASSIVE amount of shots.
- Creepy Monotone: When communicating with Mato.
- Dark Action Girl: Same as Black★Rock Shooter but a lot more open about it.
- Dissonant Serenity / Tranquil Fury: Despite her rage-filled expression her telepathic communication with Mato is utterly emotionless. Justified since she doesn't actually have emotion.
- Detachment Combat/Rocket Punch: In the first few minutes, BGS severely injures the arm IBRS has her BFS/BFG, IBRS's response is to RIP that arm off and throw it.
- Dual Wielding: Has her BFS/BFG on her right arm, holds a much smaller blade in the other. Later, she uses the chains attached to her back to use BGS's sword. After she shoots off the arm holding said blade of course.
- Enemy Without: To Mato in the last episode.
- Epic Flail: After ripping her arm off, she uses the chain attached to her back to turn the weapon attached to said arm into this. She then uses BGS's sword in the same way.
- Feel No Pain: Mato takes it.
- Fusion Dance: One fan story has her be a fusion of Black★Rock Shooter and Black★Gold Saw. In the 2012 anime, she appears after Mato and Black★Rock Shooter fuse...but with a twist
- Painful Transformation: All that new armor plating bloodily burst out from beneath her skin.
- Purple Is Powerful: BRS is strong normally, but as Insane Black★Rock Shooter with a purple motif (red mixed with the blue), she's nearly unstoppable.
- Power Born of Madness: As Insane B★RS.
- Superpowered Evil Side: To BRS and Mato.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Her toy was advertised on the website before she appeared in the anime.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Same as Black★Rock Shooter.
Dead MasterA girl with two horns and the "Dead Scythe". Seems to be followed around by two telepathic skulls, which she uses as weapons. She also has powers over chains.May be a Yandere. Her human counterpart is Yomi. As such she is also voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.She receives a noticeable redesign in the 2012 Anime, including glasses and a wedding veil.
- Dark Magical Girl: In the OVA, she's merged with, or possessing, Yomi. Still counts for the Anime too.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: It covers up a lot of skin, but adds to her evil-ness. It gets even frillier in the 2012 anime.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: She has bat wings sticking out of her back.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Signifies jealousy; in the OVA, Yomi has them too...
- Horned Humanoid: Generally has vertebrae-like horns on her head.
- Ojou Ringlets: Identical to Yomi's, of course.
- Psychotic Smirk / Slasher Smile: She is almost always portrayed sporting this on, as opposed to her human counterpart. She occasionally does this too in the OVA. And really, her Scythe being broken didn't prevent her from licking her fingers, and then giving this to Black★Rock Shooter as if nothing happened.
- Sickly Green Glow: As part of her color motif and general nature as an antagonist.
- Sinister Scythe: Hers seems to dual-function as her Magic Wand.
- The Rival: Can be interpreted as this to Black★Rock Shooter.
- Yandere: Hinted at in the OVA, made more blatant in the 2012 Anime where she's wearing a wedding veil.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Does this to Black★Rock Shooter; whether this is feeding off Yomi's instincts or if it's entirely the Dead Master's volition is up to debate.
- Load-Bearing Boss: Her lair starts crumbling after she escapes Yomi's body and dissolves.
- Oh Crap!: Her reaction in the near-end of the OVA when Black★Rock Shooter broke the chains holding her in place, marches forwards towards her, and then embraced her. She resisted to no avail, resulting in her falling off the ledge and then dissolving afterwards, leaving the body of Yomi aside.
- Orcus On Her Throne: In the OVA, after "taking" Yomi, she did absolutely nothing except apparently sit in her throne room waiting. Though it's likely she was waiting for B★RS anyway.
2012 Anime Tropes
- Adaptational Wimp: In the OVA, Dead Master was a perfectly capable fighter. In the anime, B★RS quickly unravels the chain, and she gets carried away helplessly by Chariot's spider minions. After struggling for a ridiculously long time against the chains binding her, it seems like she might join the fight...but then she gets dragged into a fissure created by Black★Gold Saw. Though it may be justified in a sense since Yomi was in a pretty weak state...
- This no longer applies after episode 4.
- Back from the Dead For The Finale]]
- Big Boo's Haunt: Her zone of the otherworld.
- Chained by Fashion: Sealed by Chariot with her own chains as a symbolism of Kagari's control over Yomi's guilt. When Yomi's Freak Out reaches its apex, her chains warp around her into a giant mountain and explode into her army of countless zombies.
- Composite Character: She uses the name and general look of Dead Master, but shares aspects with "Black★Devil Girl", such as the glasses and green theme color.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Episode 5.
- Meganekko: In the 2012 series, and also counts as Four Eyes, Zero Soul.
- Natural Weapon: Has huge claws.
- Night of the Living Mooks: Episode 4.
StrengthA mysterious "other self" that is approaching the Dead Master and Black★Rock Shooter throughout the OVA.She is implied to be the "other self" of the OVA's Yuu.In the 2012 anime, she is eventually revealed to be the actual Yuu Koutari, who Saya had tried to befriend while they were in high school. She suffered from many familial issues and bullying, but was aware of the Otherworld's existence and related it to Saya when she talked to her. It's implied that the abuse she suffered allowed Strength to become self-aware. After a misunderstanding, Saya offered to do anything for Yuu. Yuu revealed the existences of Strength and Black★Gold Saw, and had Saya promise to protect her and the Otherworld. Afterwards, she contacted Strength and decided to switch places with her, allowing Strength to deal with reality while she deals with the comparative simplicity of the other world.Voiced, obviously, by Kana Asumi.
- Artificial Limbs: Both arms.
- Cute Bruiser: Implied since we never see her straining under the weight of her giant arms.
- Four-Fingered Hands: Her Ogre Arms have these.
- Giant Hands of Doom: Her metallic Ogre Arms.
- Hades Shaded: Unlike other Others, she has brown skin instead of Undeathly Pallor.
- Prophet Eyes: In huke's artwork and in the 2012 anime before she gained emotion, after which they turned red.
- Small Girl, Big Gun: Her arms are made up of two huge mechanical guns.
- Ascended Extra: Compared to the OVA. She is in fact central to the plot.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: As Yuu, she wanted to switch places with Strength, believing that if she were in a world where all she had to do was fight without thinking, she could take the physical pain and she would be happier. By the time the events of Episode 7 transpire, she is clearly unhinged by this decision.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves Black★Gold Saw from certain death by the hands of Insane Black★Rock Shooter, to Saya's shock.
- Dark and Troubled Past: With divorced parents and a mother and stepfather who don't care about her, and a ton of bullies at school who torment her (including dumping their eraser shavings into her rice), she has a lot of this to deal with.
- Defeat Means Friendship / Heel–Face Turn: Final episode. She returns to the real world and is promptly befriended by the others.
- Emotionless Girl: Until she goes crazy.
- Finger Firearms/Gatling Good: Can fire bullets out of her mechanical arms.
- Lethal Lava Land: Her zone of the otherworld.
- Lightning Bruiser: She's small, strong, fast and CRAZY, as she would need to be, considering she manages to surprise Insane Black★Rock Shooter.]]
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: She can unfold another pair of arms out of her first set.
- This is a Buddhism/Hindu-ism reference, by becoming a spirit that only exists for violence; Yuu is becoming an Asura; possibly literally. The multi-arms only exist for Yuu as Strength.
- Parental Neglect: Her parents divorced, and her mother married another man; neither seem to care about her, leaving her in the corner. In fact, they don't seem to care about anything, given the dilapidated state of the house and how it eventually burns down from a neglected cigarette.
- Psycho Smirk: Shows one in the 2012 series.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: She gets them in the 2012 anime, making her an albino of sorts.
- Split Personality Takeover: Of sorts. She's basically Yuu's mind in Strength's body.
- Suddenly Voiced: The only other self capable of non-telepathic speech...since she's actually a human.
- Super Strength: It's a given.
- Swiss Army Weapon: Her fists are incredibly versatile. Outside of the obvious punches, she can shoot bullets from the fingertips, transform and combine her fists into a minigun, take out an extra pair of arms, and even form some kind of railed apparatus that uses one fist to propel the other.
- Undead Tax Exemption: The original Yuu in the ending gets introduced to the rest of the class. Considering she's been missing for 10 years, that's quite a bit of paperwork. She even says she doesn't have a home to go to before she returns to the real world. Granted, Saya might have helped ease the transition in this regard.
- Villainous Breakdown: Last episode.
Black★Gold SawAn "other self" who was seen fighting Black★Rock Shooter at the beginning of the OVA. She caused some of her scars; according to some interpretations, she was also responsible for taking Black★Rock Shooter's life.In the 2012 anime, her eye is seen opening in various locations of the "Otherworld", implying that she's watching. It appears that she has a great deal of power over the Otherworld, and is cultivating the Other Selves. She is in fact trying to stop Black★Rock Shooter from destroying the Otherworld.
- BFS: She has a large sword, possibly as big as her in some drawings.
- Horned Humanoid: Generally has red horns on her head.
- Non-Indicative Name: She does not, in fact, wear gold in any of the artwork. There is one figure that gives her a bit of gold on her armor and sword, however.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her entire scheme is red, however, so it doesn't look quite evil - just like an enemy.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Generally wears them.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What was B★GS even doing in the OVA? And what did she do after she won the battle? Did she even win?
2012 Anime Tropes
- Adaptational Badass: Her powers go from hand-to-hand combat to reality-warping.
- Adaptational Wimp: As well. In the OVA she appears to actually beat B★RS, but in the anime she puts up the least impressive fight of any character. Though note that when she was fighting with B★RS Saya was intentionally trying to take the diplomatic route with Mato, so she did comparatively little fighting - it doesn't excuse her inability to defend herself though.
- An Arm and a Leg: She's partially responsible for IBRS losing an arm. IBRS then gets revenge.
- Ascended Extra: Compared to the OVA.
- Diabolus ex Machina: When it looks like Chariot's Mental World is breaking apart, B★GS suddenly appears, stops the breakdown by pausing time, and sends Dead Master into a fissure. Then she vanishes, giving Chariot the opportunity to hit B★RS from behind. This culminates in Chariot losing her head. It's all sort of subverted when we learn that B★GS was trying to kill B★RS, and B★RS would have killed Chariot anyway.
- Evil Redhead: Of sorts - the 2012 anime makes her hair a very dark red...
- Multicolored Hair: ...to the point where it looks pure black at the top of her head.
- Irony: She is made to look like a devil and clearly represents the devil arcana yet her Leitmotif Heaven is designed like it would belong in a church.
- Lightning Bruiser: The fact that she wields a BFS might not justify it alone as the other characters are also able to wield lofty weapons. She is however the fastest in combination with her strength. It takes both DM and BRS a few seconds to notice her, or rather where she was just standing. In addition, She sends Dead Master down a fissure she created with a single swing of her sword.
- Glass Cannon: Her ability to hack off limbs with her speed and strength against Insane Black★Rock Shooter is Amazing. Taking dammage, not so amazing.
- Making a Splash: Seems to have a lot of water related powers.
- Mook Maker: In episode 6, she shows the ability to create a massive amount of soldiers by throwing water from her watering can onto the ground.
- Mysterious Watcher: She can watch any area of the otherworld she desires by opening a gigantic eye in the sky.
- Older Than They Look: Mato says she resembles a middle-aged lady.
- It can be justified by the fact that Saya is B★GS.
- Red Herring: Initially played out to be the main antagonist of the story, only later is it clear that the real main antagonist is Black Rock Shooter.
- Teleporters and Transporters: Moves between different parts of the otherworld by sinking into the ground.
- The Worf Effect: After her display of power in Episode 2, B★GS is (literally) single-handedly dispatched by Insane Black Rock Shooter in episode 6. See her entry on Adaptational Wimp for more detail.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She's basically Saya's vehicle to protect the Otherworld.
Introduced in Black★Rock Shooter TV (2012 Anime)
Saya IrinoThe middle school counselor of "Dawn Counseling" at Mato's school. She is often the one to go to when talking about personal problems, and will do it while offering them lots of coffee.She is the other self of Black★Gold Saw, and can consciously channel herself into her. She is awakening other selves through less than moral means to prevent Black★Rock Shooter from destroying the Otherworld - or more specifically the original Yuu Koutari, who now resides there. She was friends with the original Yuu Koutari in high school and later made a promise to protect her. Yuu revealed Black★Gold Saw to Saya before switching places with Strength.Voiced by Mamiko Noto
- Anti-Villain: In an attempt to fulfill a promise to the original Yuu to protect her - and by extension, protect the Otherworld - she tries to mess up her charges to incite their "other selves" to awaken, purely for the purpose of stopping Black★Rock Shooter's rampage. She also contemplates killing Mato to stop Black★Rock Shooter, but can't do it because she knows it's wrong and that Mato did nothing to deserve it.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: She turns out to be a lot less nice than she initially appeared to be.
- Declaration of Protection: Her entire motivation is to protect Yuu, and by extension, the Otherworld.
- Misplaced Kindergarten Teacher: Only visually. She wears a strange kiddish armband.
- My Greatest Failure / My Greatest Second Chance: She promised to protect Yuu because she had, for a moment, suspected Yuu of burning down her house. In order to make it up to Yuu, she promised to do anything.
- Psychologist Teacher: Well, she is a counselor after all...
- Psycho Psychologist: ...but not the good kind.
- Sensei-chan: They actually call her Saya-chan-sensei.
- The Promise: Her motivation is to keep one.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Coffee.
- Though she reveals that she actually hates coffee when it doesn't have milk in episode 5.
- Treacherous Advisor: Does the opposite of what a school counselor is supposed to, all for the sake of the Otheworld.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Her reasons for breaking the girls is that the original Yuu was her friend when she was in high school, and in a desperate attempt to help her, she made a promise to protect her, and, by extension, the Otherworld. She believes that Black★Rock Shooter will destroy the Otherworld if unchecked, so she puts stress on the girls in the hopes of awakening "other selves" to curb her.
Kagari Izuriha]]A girl who lives close to Yomi. She is a childhood friend of hers, and is bound to a wheelchair; thus, she does not attend their school. She lives next door to Yomi and seems to be controlling her via a Tin-Can Telephone, constantly telling her that she "must not make friends" and claiming Yomi to be "hers"; according to her Yomi must "take responsibility". It turns out that when Yomi was moving away with her family Kagari tried to run after her and was hit by a car.Fond of pastries and dolls, but is very, very blatant about her hatred for anyone. After Black★Rock Shooter beheads Chariot, she suddenly and rather unnervingly becomes calmer and starts to get over her trauma. She eventually returns to school in Episode 4.She is the human counterpart of Chariot. Chariot's death in Episode 2 causes her to lose all of her grief - and also her attachment to Yomi.Voiced by Eri Kitamura
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: A (probably) non-romantic version. After seeing Yomi coming back to school, her memories of Yomi begin to come back slowly. She is also disoriented by Mato's disappearance.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Kagari has this. She gets better....mostly, see No Social Skills
- Bastard Girlfriend: She doesn't have one. She is one. When she stops being a bastard and becomes capable of normal relationships with other people, Yomi snaps. That's an eerily familiar development...
- Unsexy Sadist: She's definitely portrayed as repulsive.
- Creepy Child: Early in the 2012 series.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: At least before the accident.
- Creepy Doll: Heavily associated with one. Its name is Mary. She also "talks through" it, claiming that anything she says while acting as Mary is not something that she is saying. YMMV whether the doll or her owner is creepier."Go away! Go away! Go away!"
- Curtains Match The Windows: Blonde hair and creepy, creepy gold eyes.
- Cute and Psycho: Mostly psycho, though. Never has a cute lil' blonde girl saying "Kaere (Go away)!" been so creepy.
- Yandere: For Yomi.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Metaphorically, at any rate.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She instantly becomes a nice person and is friends with Mato. Not only that, but she gets instantly popular in the class just by saying "shut up!"
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Says this almost word for word.
- Epiphany Therapy: Gets over her years-long psychosis rather easily.
- She is, however, still a bit psychotic - she likes to make strange remarks from time to time that are a little disturbing.
- Evil Cripple: Subverted. She's not actually crippled. Pretending like she is - or convincing herself that she is - is part of her evilness.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Upon attending school again, she ties her hair into a side-ponytail.
- Expy: Some fans think of her as one to Taiga.
- Glurge Addict: Loves dolls and macarons and is almost always seen with one or the other. This does not make her any less creepy.
- Heel–Face Turn: She and Mato become friends in Episode 4.
- Jerk Ass: It's one thing to not like someone, but it's another thing to tell them to their face to GTFO.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Still as crude as before but at least she's genuinely TRYING to be nice now.
- Knight of Cerebus: Her first appearance made the show dark.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: After Chariot, her other self, gets her head chopped off, she loses her attachment to Yomi. She remembers that she loved her once, but she can't invoke those feelings anymore.
- She regains at least some of her memories in episode 8.
- Look Both Ways: Her accident.
- No Social Skills: Ridiculously blunt in her psychoticness toward Mato. Even after she is healed, she's comically blunt and foul-mouthed, which earns her popularity at school. She also badly, badly words her gratitude to Yomi for taking care of her all those years.
- Pseudo Crisis: At the end of Episode 2 it seems like something bad happened to Kagari...but then in the next episode we learn she just fell asleep.
- Self-Inflicted Hell: A mundane example. She's not actually crippled physically. However, her mental state has been driven so badly that she believes herself to be crippled, to the point where a twisted wrist makes her think that she is completely incapable of doing this. Debatable as to whether this is "hell", however, as she seems to take pleasure in forcing herself to be dependent on her.
Arata KohataA member of Mato and Yuu's basketball team. Seems to always wear her jersey.Voiced by Manami Numakura
- A-Cup Angst: Claims to Saya that the only reason she can't confess to a boy she likes is because she doesn't have "big boobs".
- Earn Your Happy Ending: She and Taku are now a couple, and Mato teases her about it.
- Genki Girl: All Mato wanted to do was show interest in the basketball club. Instead, Arata made her run sprints.
- In-Series Nickname: Kohacchi.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Black Rock Shooter killing her fledging other self caused her to lose her love for Taku, an attachment that gave her grief.
- She regains these feelings in the last episode.
- Love Confession: She likes a boy in her class named Taku and gives him a love letter. It ends very badly when his Jerkass friends decide to mock her in front of the entire school.
- It eventually ends in an Earn Your Happy Ending for the two.
- Out of Focus: She actually doesn't become important in any way.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: She does appear on the website, however.
- Stepford Smiler: This is who she really is, though no one is fooled. It's a source of stress for Mato knowing that Arata is hurting inside but shrugs it all off.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Unlike the OVA, the TV anime plays this fairly straight with Arata, whose red hair is quite implausible.
ChariotThe other self of Kagari. A wheel-legged Otherself that Black Rock Shooter provokes into fighting for holding Dead Master a hostage.
- Back from the Dead For The Finale: She comes back to help Mato defeat IBRS. And of course, her head is intact.
- Black Swords Are Better: Unclear if it's actually better, but it does look cool.
- Canon Foreigner/Expy: She doesn't appear to be any of huke's previously created characters, but she bears a noticeable resemblance to the Apostle SZZU from the video game.
- Cool Crown: Has a huge black spiked crown that wraps around her head.
- Disc One Final Boss: The trailers make her seem more important than she actually is.
- Dynamic Entry: Her preferable method of saying hello to a guest is to run them over with her overly giant spider and cart.
- Edible Ammunition: Her vehicle has cannons that fire giant explosive macaroons.
- Evil Gloating: Of sorts. When Chariot first runs over Black★Rock Shooter with her Spider Tank, she gets out and begins dropping gooey regular-sized macaroons on Black★Rock Shooter's face while she's still buried under the rubble. Veeery slowly.
- Giant Spider: Drives a giant robot spider as a sort of chariot.
- Mythology Gag: It resembles an enemy from the PSP game.
- Level Ate: Her zone of the otherworld.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Huge, wheel-like shield.
- Off With Her Head!: In Episode 2. The effect seems to have erased Kagari's attachment to Yomi, allowing her to get over her trauma...but also causing Yomi's Freak Out.]]
- Rollerblade Good: Except the wheels are actually her feet.
- Spiked Wheels: There are spikes on the sides of her leg wheels.
Characters of Black★Rock Shooter: The Game
Black★Rock ShooterA mysterious Super Soldier who was awakened by the last surviving humans as their final trump card against the alien invasion. She awakens as a blank slate, being extremely naive and lacking direction. As time passes, she recovers her lost memories and discovers her motivation to fight. Her true name is "Stella", a clone of the alien being called "Sing Love". She was deliberately designed to be an imperfect clone, ironically giving her the ability to retain her memories and making her the grand culmination of White Rock Shooter's plot.Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.
- Cool Bike: It even has swords attached to it!
- Expy: In her flashbacks, her younger self looks exactly like a younger version of Kuroi Mato.
- Last Of Their Kind: She lives in a world after almost everyone else is dead.
Nana Grey/Gray (RPG)A lonely girl who acts as BRS' counterpart and main ally in the latter half of the game. She is a "Grey", a mass-production clone of "Sing Love" designed to fight the alien invasion. Like all Greys, her memories degenerate over time, which causes her a great deal of distress.Voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Her relationship to Black★Rock Shooter.
- The Mole: She struck a deal with the aliens to deliver BRS to them in exchange for her freedom.
ApostlesThe Apostles are the leaders of the alien invasion on Earth, with each one being classified as "Class A" aliens. There were once fifteen of them, but by the events of The Game only seven remain. They are ranked in ascending order of power (with "first" being the weakest).
Voiced by Mai NakaharaRanked first. A vain and capricious girl, she is obsessed with the ideal of beauty.
- An Axe to Grind: Her apparent weapon of choice
- Blood Lust: Apparently, she likes drinking people's blood.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Uses it constantly.
Voiced by Yoshimitsu ShimoyamaRanked fourth. A muscular berserker. His obsession with "neblading" animals has transformed him into an sub-human brute who communicates in growls.
- The Berserker: Seems to be this.
Voiced by Asami ShimodaRanked fifth. A cute young girl who embodies the most selfish and dangerous desires of a child. Having gorged herself on mass-media, she has developed a love of game shows and reality television. Her ultimate ambition is to usurp White Rock Shooter as the leader of the alien forces.
- Animal Motifs: Rabbits.
Voiced by Hiroshi KamiyaRanked sixth. A brash young man who loves to hone his skills in combat. He has unrequited feelings for MEFE which pain him greatly. He "neblades" MEFE after her defeat, absorbing her body and memories, possibly against her will.
SAHA (Zaha)Ranked seventh. The leader of the Apostles, he resembles an old man but is actually the master of a martial art the aliens call "Universal Karate". His role is to "train" any possible Whites to their maximum potential before handing them over to WRS.
- Badass Grandpa: Oldest and strongest of the Apostles.
White★Rock Shooter (RPG)
White★Rock Shooter (RPG)A mysterious young woman who appears as an "inverted" version of B★RS, trading black for white and blue eyes for red. She is an alien being who became known as "Sing Love" on Earth. She engineered "The Game" so that she could consume/assimilate a perfect clone of herself. To do this, she staged the alien invasion and then convinced the Earth forces to use her as the base for a clone army to fight against them. However, the resulting clone army lacked the ability to retain their memories over time, delaying her plan until "BRS" (who could retain memories) appeared.Voiced by Maaya Sakamoto.
- Ascended Extra: Before the RPG came out, White Rock Shooter was just a "negative" version of BRS that appeared in artwork. In the RPG, she's the villain.
- Big Bad: Apparently.
- Evil Counterpart/Evil Twin: Highly likely to be this.
Characters of Black★Rock Shooter (Manga)
Black★Rock ShooterA girl who watches over Hazama.
- Berserk Button: Flips out when she hears the word "Disappear". The reason? Some bullies burnt her shoulder and leg with cigarettes while chanted the word in her Dark and Troubled Past, only starting to appear as flashes of memories after being in contact with a corrupted soul who died in fire. Before that, she has no reason other than instinct why she hates the word.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Eventually.
- Emotionless Girl: Has difficulty recognizing what "fun" is, and utterly confused why she has tears leaking from her eyes after seeing her previous life. She's not quite content with this, however.
- Gender-Blender Name: Here, BRS is called "Rock". She is also the legendary "Black Star".
- Good Is Not Nice: She knows what her mission is, and she offers no consolation to Reto, who just realized that he's a dead guy all along. Time will tell whether she's a full-blown Anti-Hero.
- She becomes nice through Character Development, to the point that she consoles a fading Dead by acting as her fiance
- Ill Girl: Her dying self after being pushed by her bullies.
- Shinigami: Her role is fairly close to one, in that she makes sure souls aren't trapped in Hazama.
- Rage Against the Mentor / Broken Pedestal: To Ram after forced to kill Dead.
- You Are Number 6: It's revealed that she isn't the only Black Shooter. To be exact, she's number 01451.
RonA sort of snake-like being, he forms a sort of partnership as a sort of physical manifestation of Rock's powers.
- A-Cup Angst: Not him, but he loves teasing Rock for being flat-chested.
- Bishounen: In Rock's pseudo-Stagnant Soul's barrier, He's this. He says that the form is Rock's idealized vision of him.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: With Rock.
Dead MasterA mysterious, ominous person who approaches Rock at the end of the first chapter.
- Cute and Psycho: Pretty much adorable. Eats souls.
- Despair Event Horizon: After chapter 10's Wham Line
- Extreme Omnivore: Her soul-devouring aside, she also ate her teddy bear in her sleep and proceed to eat Rock's hair next. And people are asking why Rock's pig-tails are in an uneven length... After dying, Rock takse up this trait and eats Dead's soul to keep her memory from being burnt off.
- Happily Married: Her motivation for eating souls is to be strong enough to be revived and reunited with her husband. Turns out, she's been lied to.
- Les Yay: Pretty much explicitly in love/lust with Rock. She invoked it as she needs Rock's soul to be devoured, she tries to provoke some reaction.
- Let Them Die Happy: Rock lets Dead seeing her as her husband, spending her last seconds in embrace of her beloved.
RamA girl that seems to be very interested with Rock's development of character.
- Big Damn Hero: Her usual entrances.
- Cool Big Sis / The Watcher: An odd combination of both. When it reveals that she's Evil All Along, Rock pulls a Rage Against the Mentor.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Apparently, when she was alive she was a firefly who did not glow like the others.
Jack OlieA mass murderer who feeds on souls who have drifted to Hazama.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Even after he was executed in life, after he dies, he creates a loop to continue killing his victims over and over again.
LetA boy who encounters Rock.
- Big Brother Instinct: Towards Io. When he was alive, he died protecting her.
IoLet's little sister.
- A-Cup Angst: So much, that Let convinces her to eat the carrots or she would be flat-chested forever.
- Dead All Along: Unlike Let, she always knew they were dead, but did not care and continued to smile for Let (and later Rock)'s sake.
Hanako NakamuraA student who lives in a big empty school in Hazama. The school is made entirely of trapped souls.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Her headphones
- Driven to Suicide: Almost. She was killed first by a bus crash.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Her last words.
- Freudian Excuse: She was bullied by the other students, and when she died no-one remembered her.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: Invoked, as she wore her headphones to block of the voices of her bullies and only her voice she could hear.
- Traumatic Haircut: She used to have her hair in twin braids. The bullies who tormented her cut her hair with a razor, giving it the dishevelled appearance it has now.
ActaAnother Black Shooter.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Dies at the end of the chapter she's introduced.
CecilA young girl who is frequently abused by her old mother. She and her mother are caught in a loop created by her, because she wants her mother to become kind again like in the old times before her father died.
- Abusive Parents: Her old mother. It was not out of evil. She was just very stressed.
- Cooldown Hug: To her mother, before both reconcile and fade away.
- Genki Girl: She even teaches Rock to smile more.
KaedeA girl who has a crush on Dead. When she was alive, she had a crush on her best friend Sakurako (who vaguely resembles Dead) and confessed to her, only to be horribly turned down.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When talking about love, suggestive mushrooms grow around her feet. Then you find out that she has serious gender issues and wants to become a guy....
- Kiss of Death: Dead gives her one before eating her soul.
- Psycho Lesbian: The psycho part is debatable.