Manga / Black★Rock Shooter
of Black★Rock Shooter
has been announced titled Black★Rock Shooter ~Innocent Soul~.
Given description: "The story follows a girl in Hazama (Threshold), a world between Heaven and Earth. "Impure souls" — those that could not ascend to Heaven with the burden of their own weight — have drifted to this world of constant warfare."
There is also a separate published 4koma
series. Titled Black★Rock-chan
, it's really just an Affectionate Parody
of the characters and setting; it stars a Pint-Sized Kid
version of B★RS with a full-sized Dead Master acting like her mom.
Not to be confused with Black★Rock Shooter – Innocent Souls
: a fanmade
play-by-post roleplay set in the universe of the manga.
Tropes found in this manga:
- Abusive Parents: The mother in Ch 6 to Cecil. She took the death of her husband hard.
- And I Must Scream: How Hanako traps the souls inside her illusory high-school.
- Breather Episode: Chapter 7 is basically a Troperiffic Romantic Comedy.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The Black Shooters that were sent to destroy Dead's Stagnant Soul end up crushed by her wing-arms into a giant ball of flesh and gore.
- Darker and Edgier: The first chapter alone has a little girl brutally impaled by the grotesquely mutated soul of a legendary serial killer.
- Dead All Along: Reto and Io. OK, every Stagnated Soul ever. In fact, scratch that, there's no living people in the setting just yet.
- Eldritch Location: The Stagnant Soul's dimension. The one in chapter 8 is an outright Genius Loci. A very demented pervert Genius Loci.
- Good Is Not Nice: The purpose of the Black Shooters is to keep the number of Stagnated Souls in Hazama under control, and nothing else.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Io and Reto, Hanako in the second chapter. Also Dead in chapter 11.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: In the final chapter, Rock uses the power of Stagnant Souls to turn Ron into a massive wall of ★rock Cannons in order to finish off Ram. When she pulls the trigger, they shoot lasers. It makes War Machine on the trope image look downright tame.
- Oh, Crap!, This Cannot Be!: Jack's reaction to realizing that he's fighting the Black Star.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The name of the organization Rock, Dead, and others work for. In the original Japanese, it is written as "ブラックスター". A logical translation would be "Black Star", as evidenced by a panel from Chapter 9, yet some translation groups, and consequently other sources, use "Black Shooter"
- Unfinished Business: The reason why the Stagnant Souls exist.
- We Have Reserves: The rulers of Hazama's attitude to Black Shooters.
- What Is This Feeling?: Rock is somewhat lacking in emotions at the start of the manga. When they start kicking in, so does this trope.
- Woobie of the Week