Anime: Brave Series
The Brave Series (or Yuusha Series) is a toy and animation franchise formed after toy company Takara had ended the animated "Generation 1" storyline of Transformers in Japan. Following a decline in the series' popularity that led to the cancellation of the OVA series Transformers Zone, Takara struck a cooperative deal with the animation studio Sunrise (known for the Gundam series) to develop a new franchise and set of toy lines. This would lead to the development of the Brave Series, a landmark Super Robot series in the 1990s.The Brave Series includes:
- Brave Exkaiser circa 1990, first part of the series.
- The Brave Fighter of Sun Fighbird - 1991
- The Brave Figher of Legend Da Garn - 1992
- The Brave Express Might Gaine - 1993
- Brave Police J-Decker - 1994
- The Brave of Gold Goldran - 1995
- Brave Command Dagwon - 1996
- The King of Braves GaoGaiGar - Circa 1997, and is the final part of the series.
Common tropes that are seen throughout the franchise are the following:
- Big Brother Instinct
- Combining Mecha
- Humongous Mecha
- Kid Hero
- Monster of the Week
- Stock Footage: Traditionally present, given the nature of the shows. This gets used so often that GaoGaiGar actually takes advantage of it.
- Strictly Formula
- Super Robot
- Tagalong Kid