And The Fandom Rejoiced: Transformers
fans tend to rejoice
almost as much as they cry Ruined Forever
. Hasbro's comic-con conference got this.
Arranged by continuity family:
Transformers Generation 1
- The Classics line, when it premiered in 2006, was a big hit. Then it went on hiatus for the first movie. Then it came back (as Universe) in 2008. Then another hiatus. Then another rebirth in 2010 (as Generations and Reveal the Shield). Basically, the fans are ecstatic every time the Classics style comes back, and once we figured out that we're getting them every other year...
- John Barber has been announced as the new editor for IDW's ongoing Transformers comics. Barber is known for his insane use of plotting and Arc Welding in the Transformers film comics.
Transformers Film Series
- In 1986, the Transformers animated movie came out, with the planet-eating Unicron as the main villain. However, given that he was the size of a planet, a respectably-sized toy could never be made. Until finally they released quite a few that did the character justice, about 15+ years later!
- Three words: Primus. Action. Figure.
- Peter Cullen was the voice actor for Optimus Prime in The Transformers. When it was announced that he would play Optimus Prime in the 2007 film, the Transformers Wiki put it best: "And there was much rejoicing. (One person started complaining. He was torn limb from limb, skewered and eaten.)" It didn't silence all of them — we're talking about fanboys here — but it did get the fandom to rally behind the movie and arguably make it the success that it was. Another big rally cry here was the very impressive trailers that showcased brief images of the actual robots, including Optimus Prime transforming with the classic sound effect. Considering Cullen's Optimus was described as "a surrogate father to a generation of latchkey kids", it's hardly surprising. The final trailer before its premiere ended with Bonecrusher tackling Optimus and revealing just what kind of special effects this movie would have.
- The studio tried to pull this off again with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, when they cast Frank Welker to reprise his role as Soundwave, whose super-processed, artificial-sounding voice was one of the most distinctive in the old cartoon. Although the voice is unmistakably Dr. Claw because they left out all the processing in the finished film, it could double as a Mythology Gag since it was always the Dr. Claw voice, heavily modulated.
- Welker was originally casted as Megatron too, but the producers decided his voice wasn't right for the part and replaced him.
- However, he got to heft Megs's Fusion Cannon again for the video game adaptations of the first two movies.
- This official announcement about Transformers III hits the trope with a HSQ to anyone tired of the GM brands in the films.
- Then, with Transformers 3, the fanbase was split, as usual, on whether the third film would be like ROTF. First, came the announcement (probably faked) that The Twins wouldn't return. Then, Bay said that they would get rid of the "humor" that overruled the second film. The big announcement was the reveal of the villain... Shockwave. Cue massive rejoicing. (even if Soundwave ended up being one of the villains, not the Big Bad)
- On the toy front, the toys for the third movie have been... underwhelming so far. Cue Sentinel Prime
- Leonard Nimoy as Sentinel Prime (Optimus' predecessor) was near universally praised. Nimoy has Transformers history voicing Galvatron from Transformers: The Movie.
- More importantly, for years, Nimoy didn't want to talk about playing Galvatron (it was part of his I Am Not Spock) phase. He's definitely done a 180 about that.
- "Oh hey, more Mechtech figures, god how reta- HUMAN ALLIANCE SOUNDWAVE!? Niiiice."
- With Megan Fox gone, I wonder who Rosie Huntington-Whatever's gonna be playi...Carly? G. 1. Carly?!!
- And then came the announcement that the Twins were indeed cut out of the film in the editing room. And There Was Much Rejoicing.
- So, Corey Burton isn't reprising his role as Shockwave. Bummer. I wonder who they're considering as a replacement... wait, David Warner?! And once he didn't go, Frank Welker came instead, but it wasn't too bad.
- The revelation of a new group of Autobots calling themselves The Wreckers was quite exciting, since they have never had a real presence in any TF media except for the comics. In addition, Michael Bay stated that they "Don't really hide who they are." and we see NASCAR vehicles outfitted with lots of guns. They're also Nascar fans, mechanics, and, to a certain extent, engineers.
- High Moon Studios announced as the developers of the Dark of the Moon console game (appropriately enough), as well as the fact it would be a "midquel" to the events of the films, not a straight-up adaptation.
- They're making a fourth movie? Is that really necess— is that Optimus Prime riding Grimlock!?◊
- The trailer's out and...HOLY CRAP!! CAB-OVER OPTIMUS?!!
- Okay let's look over the Dinobots. Okay we've got Grimlock (duh), Slash, Scorn, Slug, Strafe (AKA Swoop). Okay, that's sounds nice but it's not the same without... wait... SLUDGE AND SNARL?
- Frank Welker as Galvatron. Let me repeat that... Frank. Welker. As. GALVATRON.
- Fans of Lockdown were incredibly happy to hear that he was to be included.
- Those who are sick of Michael Bay should be happy to know he's officially not directing Transformers 5
- Transformers Animated? Looks rather half-assed if you ask me and— wait, David Kaye as OPTIMUS PRIME?! Yeeessss...
- First Arcee toy that's a car? YEAH!!
- Hmmm, all the humans are suffering Chuck Cunningham Syndrome in season 3, and it would kill to see Sari agai.....she's staring in a two parter!? YES!
- After years of waiting, Shout! Factory announces they will release not only season 3 on DVD, but all three seasons in the originaly intended widescreen format!
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
- Well, it looks kind of dumb. Huh? Steve Blum is Starscream? That's cool but no one can replace Chri- Jeffrey Combs is Ratchet?! Still neat but... Dwayne Johnson is Cliffjumper! Cool! Maybe I'll give it a shot if it comes on, but... OH MY LORD!!! FRANK WELKER AND PETER CULLEN ARE BACK AS MEGATRON AND OPTIMUS PRIME!!! I AM SO WATCHING THIS!!!
- And for those who didn't like Megatron's G1 voice, Frank has a new, menacing voice for the character that some consider to be one of the best Megatron voices of all time.
- Dwayne Johnson voicing Cliffjumper caused a great number of fans to jump in excitement... too bad he died only five minutes in, but damn if it wasn't a Badass five minutes.
- To a lesser extent, fans still hurt by the premature death of Transformers Animated were happy to hear Bulkhead's back.
- Also, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper not sharing the same mold for the first time since the original series.
- Arcee's badassitude in the prequel comic pleased female fans, especially after the fembots' treatment or victimization by the Smurfette Principle in previous TF installments. Or lack thereof.
- Prowl's hopeful appearance◊ in the series.
- His only scheduled appearance so far is in the Transformers Universe MMO game and there's already fanart of him. Also, his appearance and character are apparently based on a mixture of his G1 and Transformers Animated incarnations.
- And to go along with Prowl's possible appearance, based off the character's appearance in the live action films, as well as fitting the Evil Counterpart theme the series has going in regards to the character match-ups: Barricade◊. Psycho Cops FTW
- And then, of course, you have the toys. Even non-fans of the series like Rob Bricken think they look great.
- This was inverted later on when they held back the release and shortly thereafter canceled the line, in order to replace the figures with new Prime toys marketed towards a younger demographic.
- Two Words: Unicron. Figure. That isn't sixty dollars.
- Oh, and perennial Transformers cast member David Kaye has also been announced to voice a character. Autobot or Decepticon, he's sure to be AWESOME.
- His role has been revealed in "Toxicity": the Insecticon Hardshell.
- When asked at Comic-Con whether or not the Dinobots would show... they commented they are part of the long term plan. Don't believe it? Click here and read.
- And then the cherry on top: that same post confirmed Combiners *squee*
- The Insecticons make their return in season 2.
- The return of Nemesis Prime.
- Wheeljack is back!
- At the end of Shockwave's induction into the Transformers Hall of Fame, there was a brief clip of him in Transformers Prime, alongside Arcee, Cliffjumper, and Starscream. The fandom exploded with delight.
- Then he finally appeared in "Out of the Past". It might've only been a Whole Episode Flashback appearance (for now), but he was still pretty damn Badass!
- Inverted, and then played straight, when Jeffrey Combs talked about the future. His statement that Season 3 would be only 16 episodes was lukewarm but not explosive (in other words, meh), but then he seemed to imply the series would be ending soon. BOO-OO-OO-OO!! The "played straight" part came hardly a day later, when he confirmed that there would indeed be a Season 4. In other words - this will be the longest series in the main franchise since G1! HALLELUYAH!!
- A sneak preview of Season 3 reveals Shockwave's back. And he's bringing Predaking.
- They're bringing in a combiner for Transformers Prime? Finally! Who is it? Wait? ABOMINUS!?
- Sadly, this is only for the toyline.
- The Dinobots are in the Beast Hunters arc. Let me repeat that... the DINOBOTS are in Beast Hunters!
- You were saying?
- They're in the IDW comic series of the same name, which is apparently meant to tie in with the season, so... yeah, the subversion is subverted again.
- It gets better, they're bringing in Ultra Magnus!
- Soundwave breaks his voicelessness and says the classic "Soundwave Superior. Autobots Inferior." line. Also, the fact that it's Frank Welker back in the role.
- Bumblebee actually gets to speak!
- The Trailer for Predacons Rising is her-HOLY SHIT, IS THAT GALVATRON?! Not exactly, but close enough that it might as well be.
- Transformers Prime is over, so what's next for the Aligned continuity? Huh? The new series will be a continuation of Prime!? And the old voice cast will come back if they agree!!? Including Peter Cullen and Frank Welker!!? OH FRABJOUS DAY!
- A Decepticon leader that is not Megatron. In a not-Japanese series.
- Hasbro will never ever make a combiner aga- wait is that Deluxe Brawl? Well that's cool but-DELUXE SWINDLE? OK that's cool too- THE REST OF THE COMBATICONS ARE GETTING DELUXE TOYS? AND THEY'LL COMBINE INTO BRUTICUS? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
- On that note: Hasbro's making new Transformers: Fall of Cybertron figure?! Including SHOCKWAVE?! AND BRUTICUS?! SLAG YEAH!
- Also, New Kickback, and possibly other Insecticons, but in truth there is a voyager Soundwave coming out (FOC), and it has an updated version of the tapes he ejects. Rumble, Ratbat, Ravage, Frenzy, and Laserbeak are now disks that can fit inside him, just like in G1.
- Voyager Grimlock. Voyager Blaster (a Soundwave retool, but with his own minions!). Retools of the Combaticons into THE WRECKERS. WHICH COMBINE INTO RUINATION. AND RUINATION HAS EMIRATE XAARON'S HEAD.
- METROPLEX HEEDS THE CALL OF THE LAST PRIME!
- The new biggest Transformers toy ever!
- Deluxe Orion Pax, Bumblebee, Megatron and Trailbreaker. WITH THEIR IDW DESIGNS.
- Coming 2014, Deluxe Skids (in his IDW design), Armada Starscream, and WASPINATOR. As the Transformers Wiki puts it: This is indeed proof that there is a God, and He loves Beast Wars.
- Also coming 2014, Voyager Whirl and RHINOX, WITH HIS CHAIN GUNS OF DOOM.
- And don't forget Legends Swerve and Tailgate!
- 2015 is the year of COMBINERS. To start it, we have SUPERION AND MENASOR. ALL DELUXE FIGURES CAN COMBINE WITH ALL VOYAGERS. Remember that Voyager Optimus Prime from BotCon 2014? HE CAN COMBINE WITH ANY DELUXE FIGURES. YES.
- Superion deserves special mention. The original toy was notoriously flawed due to its fragile design in spite of its awesome concept. This new Superion manages to retain the feel of the original while eliminating the flaws of the original and making it in scale with the existing Classics and Generations line. Menasor promises to be just as good, with both teams getting lovingly show-and-comic-accurate designs.
- Among a veritable landslide of other fantastic Generations figures comes one particular gem hidden amongst the gold... Deluxe. Generations. Arcee!
- 2015 will see the release of Generations Combiner Wars Leader class ULTRA MAGNUS. And he's NOT an Optimus Prime retool or anything, he's based on how he appears in the IDW comics! It gets better, his two guns and missle pods can combine to form a HAMMER. And it gets even better. He comes with MINIMUS AMBUS. And he has his own vehicle mode! YES.
- Do you like combiners? Because we are also getting Defensor!
- And TITAN CLASS DEVASTATOR! Six Voyager-sized Constructicons combining into the biggest combiner ever! Basically, each Constructicon is the size of the G1 Devastator toy.
- Apparently, the Fan-Built Character voting is returning...for an entire combiner team!