- Base-Breaking Character: Kabuki Jo, either you like him for his backstory (atoning for the slaughter of his own men) or hate him due to him for being a ridiculous satire to the kabuki.
- Creepy Awesome: Voodoo.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Voodoo, while belonging to a lesser known game like this, he gained a lot of a solid fanbase.
- Anubis counts too!
- Evil Is Cool: Ahau Kin and Voodoo.
- Evil Is Sexy: Pagan.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Pagan's Medusa Fatality would be seen again, but this time in Mortal Kombat 9, by Kratos (as an added bonus, consider the fact that it's wielded by a character who kills Gods, which is exactly what the original did since all of the characters are Gods!)
- Speaking of Mortal Kombat 9, it seems that Jax finally gained Tak's Football Kick Fatality too.
- And now, with Kotal Kahn's reveal in Mortal Kombat X, we have a moment as one of his styles is called "War God".
- Narm: From its kitchen-sink character designs to its odd combination of digitized sprites in a 3D game (making the characters resemble paper cutouts when the camera shifts) to its desperation to be a dark game (the announcer goes more over the top with "FATALITY!" than any MK game).
- So Bad, It's Good: Because of its Narm Charm and Awesome Music, which are the good points of the game.
YMMV / War Gods