- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: The premise alone is beyond beliveability in it's concept, that parents all across the US and Europe would be perfectly ok with signing away their children to be used as organ donations to the point that it was literally signed into law. The sheer darkness and horror of this world is only outdone by it's implausibility.
- Jerkass Woobie: Roland is a manipulator, a bully, and all-around bad news. He's also a kid whose mother consigned him to unwinding for beating up the stepfather who was abusing her. And it's impossible not to feel for him in his last scene, as he's unwound.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- In Undivided, it's agreed that Nelson crosses it when he either betrays Argent and takes half of his face or when he tries to burn down a store filed with AWOL children.
- Starkey saving the escape jet in the Graveyard for the storks, leaving the Whollies and wards to distract the Juvie cops.
- Any parent who sends their child to be Unwound probably crosses it by default. No matter what you call it, it's sending a teenager to their death. Especially Hayden's parents.
- Narm: Connor being unwound in Undivided is an absolutely brutal scene...with the brief exception of "Funkytown" being played. Hopefully that particular nit of Soundtrack Dissonance doesn't make it into the movie... if it gets made, that is.
- Paranoia Fuel: Clappers. They could be anyone, anywhere, and the only difference is that their blood is volatile, so they explode if they clap hard enough. (Hence their name)
YMMV / Unwind