- Complete Monster: Brainiac is an alien android who desires to conquer Earth and drive humanity back to the dark ages. After failing to kill Superman and having his entire body, aside from one chip, destroyed, Brainiac uses Lex Luthor to rebuild himself in a new more powerful body. Tracking down Superman on his date with Lois Lane, Brainiac attacks him in the middle of Metropolis, endangering countless numbers of innocent people in his quest to destroy his hated nemesis. After Superman's apparent death, Brainiac takes over Metropolis, causing more death and destruction. When Superman was revealed to be alive and starts to fight him, Brainiac deliberately targets hundreds of innocent bystanders to gain the edge over Superman in a fight. When the fight started taking too long, a frustrated Brainiac attempts to overload a nuclear reactor near the city to cause a giant explosion. When Superman defeats him, Brainiac follows him to the hospital and smashes the cure for the deathly sick Lois, simply out of spite.
- Heartwarming Moments: Issues with this movie aside, perhaps one of the better scenes in the movie is when Lois wakes up and mistakes Superman for Clark, and Superman tells her that she isn't wrong.
- Hollywood Homely: Bizarrely, there's an animated version with Sara, who Jimmy dismisses as not being anywhere near as hot as Mercy solely on the basis of her wearing glasses, despite her being drawn just as attractively as most of the other female characters in the movie.
- Took the Bad Film Seriously: Despite how horrible it is Tim Daly still gives a sincere effort as Superman, as do David Kaufman as Jimmy Olsen and George Dzundza as Perry White. With Dana Delany as Lois Lane it's hard to tell...
- WTH, Casting Agency?: Powers Boothe, Lance Henriksen, and Tara Strong weren't well received in the respective roles of Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and Mercy. Part of this is due to them replacing Clancy Brown, Corey Burton, and Lisa Edelstein in the roles and part of it is due to many fans feeling they didn't fit the characters like their DCAU voice actors did. Especially glaring in Luthor's case, since Powers Boothe is most well known in the DCAU for playing Gorilla Grodd back in Justice League.
YMMV / Superman: Brainiac Attacks