Powers Allen Boothe (June 1, 1948 May 14, 2017) was an American television and film actor, instantly recognizable for his gravelly voice, piercing eyes and seriously badass name. He also wielded a Badass Moustache when he felt like it.
He won an Emmy in 1980 for his chilling portrayal of cult leader Jim Jones in Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones. As successful as he was in film, it's his television career that he's perhaps best known for, particularly on the much-loved Deadwood as the unstable, ruthless Cy Tolliver, wildly successful action series 24 as ambitious Vice President Noah Daniels and as controlling patriarch Lamar Wayatt in the musical drama Nashville.
He passed away of natural causes on May 14, 2017 at the age of 68.
- Southern Comfort (1981) as Pvt. Hardin
- Red Dawn (1984) as Lt. Col. Andrew 'Andy' Tanner
- The Emerald Forest (1985) as Bill
- Extreme Prejudice (1987) as Cash Bailey
- Stalingrad (1989) as General Cuikov
- By Dawn's Early Light (1990) as Major Cassidy
- Rapid Fire (1992) as Mace Ryan
- Tombstone (1993) as Curly Bill Brocius
- Blue Sky (1994) as Vince Johnson
- Sudden Death (1995) as Joshua Foss
- Nixon (1995) as Alexander Haig
- U Turn (1997) as Sheriff Potter
- Men of Honor (2000) as Captain Pullman
- Frailty (2001) as FBI Agent Wesley Doyle
- Sin City (2005) as Senator Roark
- Superman: Brainiac Attacks (2006) as Lex Luthor
- MacGruber (2010) as Col. Jim Faith
- Marvel Cinematic Universe (2012; 20152016) as World Security Councilman Gideon Malick
- Sin City: A Dame to Kill For as Senator Roark (2014)
- Philip Marlowe, Private Eye (198386) as Philip Marlowe
- Attila (2001) as Flavius Aetius
- Justice League (20022006) as Gorilla Grodd and Red Tornado
- Deadwood (20042006) as Cy Tolliver
- 24 (2007) as Vice President Noah Daniels
- Hatfields & McCoys (2012) as Judge Valentine 'Wall' Hatfield
- Nashville (20122014) as Lamar Wyatt
- Area 51 (2005) as Major Bridges
- Turok Continuity Reboot (2008) as Roland Kane
- Hitman: Absolution (2012) as Benjamin Travis
Tropes associated with his works or mentions in media:
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Obviously. Every time Boothe is mentioned in media, chances are that how seriously badass his name is will be brought up.
- Chronically Killed Actor: Inevitably, given the number of villains he played.
- Memetic Mutation: Curly Bill saying "Well...bye" as a final dismissal of someone not well-liked ending association with them. Almost as memetic as "Bye, Felicia".