Superman: Brainiac Attacks is a Direct-to-Video movie, created to cash in on the mild-success of Superman Returns, that on aired a part of the Toonami block on Saturday June 17, 2006 and was released on DVD Tuesday June 20, 2006. It also aired on Toon Disney on June 16, 2008, being the first Superman film to air on the channel. The film features Superman battling the forces of Lex Luthor and Brainiac. It also focuses on the relationship between Superman and Lois Lane and stands as the first Superman solo animated film. Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Provides Examples Of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Mercy is a lot less morally ambiguous. She is fully supportive of Lex's secret pact with Brainiac.
- Hopeless Suitor: Jimmy has a massive crush on Mercy Graves, which Lois doesn't approve of. Not only is she older than him, Mercy is Lex's bodyguard.
- Lotus-Eater Machine: Superman has to go fetch some Applied Phlebotinum from the Phantom Zone to save Lois Lane and defeat Brainiac. It seems like he's done it and got back, and cured Lois and revealed his secret identity, and they're officially together now. When she starts talking about forgetting about defeating Brainiac, he realises it's all just an illusion that the Phantom Zone is using to keep him from escaping, and breaks free of the illusion.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: There is something weirdly funny seeing Brainiac smacking Superman around with Lex Luthor in his battle suit...
- Large Ham: Lex Luthor.
- Lighter and Softer: Then Superman: The Animated Series which the film's art style was based on. However, in this case it only decreases the quality.
- Ms. Fanservice: Mercy spends a great deal of her screentime doing little more than showing off her long toned yet shapely legs.
- The same goes for Lois Lane, who also shows off her long shapely legs through her skirt and wears a sexy black dress that looks great on her.
- Mythology Gag: Lois mentions "That Green Lantern guy" would stop Brainiac if Superman doesn't do it first.
- "Look! Up in the sky! It is Superman!"
- Oh, Crap!: Lex Luthor shouldn't have expected to be able to plant a self-destruct mechanism on a kryptonian supercomputer without it noticing...Lex Luthor: Oh boy.
Inform my attorneys. All of Them.
- Lex Luthor is practically doing this for the whole movie.
- Out-of-Character Alert: Superman realizes he's trapped inside an illusion when "Lois" suggests he should forget about Brainiac.
- Same Character, but Different: It was not written to be part of the DCAU, but the Superman: The Animated Series art style was used, so it was quite jarring when some characters acted nothing like you expected, with Brainiac himself a powerful but standard-issue bad guy, and Lex Luthor being basically his old-school-film-series self.
- Shipper on Deck:
- John and Martha are very supportive of Clark telling Lois his secret, as well as his feelings for her.
- Though mostly to dissuade his crush on Mercy, Lois tries to encourage Jimmy to spend time with Sara.
- Smug Snake: This Lex Luthor only thinks he's very clever.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Clark considers quitting his job at the Daily Planet until he realizes Lois will rush into danger with or without him around.
- True Love's Kiss: How Superman wake Lois from her coma, and really look like this, even if it is actually the residue of the serum in him that cured her.