- Awesome Music: The soundtrack. Yes, there is a soundtrack to a doujinshi manga. However, special mention goes to "Girl" and "Holy Day". These can be heard either here for just the soundtrack, or here for select scenes included (all ages friendly, no adult content included). One is a playlist, the other is 4 part youtube clips.
- Better Than Canon: The fans of this series will argue it is.
- Catharsis Factor: SEELE's Adaptational Karma. There is a massive OH Crap as they realize that unlike in canon, their plans have been thwarted.
- Ending Fatigue: One of the "strikes" against the series. There are a few moments of, "Aw, that's a good ending... oh, wait, there's more."
- Fanon Discontinuity: Fans of the work usually like to pretend that 1.5 (which was made after the main story was completed) doesn't exist since it's out-of-character smut. Skipping it won't affect the flow of the main story at all, except for the reveal of Asuka's pregnancy which is handled much more gracefully in 2.
- Fight Scene Failure: One of not when Rei is using the positron rifle against the MP Evas. In one panel the shot she fires is clearly about to hit an Eva in the head, but the next panel has the shot hitting it in the stomach.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: RE-TAKE kind of prefigured/predicted Rebuild in terms of being a retelling that changed up stuff, and the names are even similar. And now it's gone full circle with RE-TAKE Kai which uses stuff from Rebuild.
- "Holy Shit!" Quotient: In addition to anything from the Awesome page, we also have Rei hanging herself and the appearance of Ghost-Asuka.
- Iron Woobie: While Shinji was debatably this in the original series, he certainly fills out this role in this story. This is best exemplified when he goes off to fight the MP-Evas to save Tokyo-3, even though he knows it's essentially a suicide mission.
- Jerkass Woobie: Ghost-Asuka is far more cruel and mean-spirited than she ever was in the main series, but that's hardly surprising considering what she went through.
- Moral Event Horizon: SEELE's actions during the series take on the events of end, where like in the normal series, the virtually destroy Tokyo-3 and fully intend to murder everyone in NERV. Thankfully they don't get away with it this time.
- In later issues of the uncensored doujin, the Fanservice scenes are increasingly shoehorned into single pages of the story in ways that make it clear that they were trying to fill a quota in what was becoming a character-driven story instead of Porn with Plot. This is part of the reason why there are fans who prefer the All-Ages version.
- "Love might be an illusion, but our hearts aren't lying." Complete with an Attack on Titan heart-thump to emphasize the seriousness of his love.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Shinji becoming a Determinator to extreme levels as well as becoming much more heroic puts him in a much more favorable light in the fans view than in the main series.
YMMV / RE-TAKE