- Ho Yay: The camaraderie between Mei Changsu/Lin Shu and Xiao Jingyan is a very integral part of the story and it overshadows even the romance between Mei Changsu/Lin Shu and the female lead Mu Nihuang. It is without a doubt the most popular ship in the fandom.
- In the original novel, it was even more apparent as Mu Nihuang had another romantic interest.
- Though unconfirmed, the original novel apparently started off as a BL novel but as it became more popular, the author stripped away the more explicitly BL elements.
- Xiao Jingyan promised to bring back a pearl the size of a pigeon's egg for Lin Shu. One of the most heartwarming scenes around the end of the series was Xiao Jingyan revealing he had kept that pearl for thirteen years. In many ways, that pearl can be seen as a token of love.
- Official behind the scenes materials featured Xiao Jingyan holding the box with the pearl on one knee and Mei Changsu extending his hand and Xiao Jingyan holding the box and Mei Changsu standing next to him, the pearl between his middle and ring finger as if it was a ring.
- That's nice and all but I'm gonna sink it - Lin Shu and Xiao Jingyan are blood relatives. You see, Lin Shu is a son of Emperor's sister what makes him his nephew. Xiao Jingyan is Emperor's son. Thus they are cousins. No, sure there are people who are into this but for most people it's a huge no-no. Here is a helpful character guide.
YMMV / Nirvana in Fire