- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Lani is a whiny brat and Gillian beating her in the shower was quite extreme. Not that she didn't deserve it though, but it's evident that this is the first time she's had somebody's hand laid upon her judging how she recoiled in total fear. It doesn't stop Gillian's moment of awesome however.
- Jerkass Woobie: Patria. The woman beats the girl mercilessly and has a big mouth but her anger is somewhat justified due to her husband's absurd plan for their son to have a chance of a better future under the care of the Velasco's. She clearly has a lot of deep-seated problems and wants nothing but to have her son back. She had to stomach those feelings for twenty years.
- Bernardo also tries his best to stop Mr. Velasco from beating his son too much. But because the Velasco's haven't a clue about him not really belonging to them, they force Bernardo to not interfere with their family matters.
- Narm: Due to Special Effect Failure (see below), The Reveal at the end about Andrew's true birthright by revealing the birthmark he inherited from Bernardo feels so clumsy.
- Special Effect Failure: The birthmark on both Bernardo and Andrew's feet (which shows that they are undeniably related) failed to look convincing. It looks as if they just stepped on a patch of grease and didn't bother to clean their feet.
- Values Dissonance: Like many films back then, especially when it starred a female character who is shown to be miserable for most of the film's run, she too gets her happy ending by getting married to her love interest.
- The Woobie: Gillian. Her "mother" treats her like shit and later, she is forced to marry Andrew in order to inherit the Velasco's money either way, as their real son becoming the Velasco's in-law. Luckily, she gets better.
YMMV / Natutulog Pa Ang Diyos