- Catharsis Factor: Baymax calls the Gorg a coward and Oh pulling a Break Them by Talking on Smek, turning the Boov against the Gorg.
- Character Rerailment: One could make this argument for the Gorg, seeing as their personality is more in line with how it was in the book than the movie (loosely) based on it.
- Crossover Ship: Hiro and Riley's relationship, the main cornerstone of the fic. Also classifies as a Toy Ship considering they are both still minors.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Tadashi telling Hiro that there was a fire to get him out of bed becomes less funny after the fire that killed Tadashi occurs.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Riley's line at the beginning of the fic about being careful about talking to herself takes on another silly dimension when she becomes The Empath and begins hearing her emotions.
- Wasabi's van becoming this story's version of Slushious becomes this after the episode in the cartoon where said van is fished out of the harbor and similarly upgraded.
- Moral Event Horizon: The Gorg crosses this a few times: kidnapping Abigail and holding her hostage, threatening to kill her if Callaghan doesn't comply with its wishes, starting an alien invasion on the Earth. All because its egg came to Earth.
- Nightmare Fuel: Riley being electrocuted by the neurotransmitter after Oh adjusts it. And then her powers kicking in and she struggles with controlling them at first.
- The Woobie:
- Hiro, per canon. He loses his brother to a fire and pushes away Riley in his grief.
- Honey Lemon, she lost her first boyfriend to their mentor, indirectly albeit. She has a hard time sleeping afterwards. Someone give her a hug.
- Oh. He's terrified of Smek and the Gorg.
YMMV / Empathy