Followed by Marvel Rising: Playing with Fire.
Contains examples of:
- Absentee Actor: The special takes place over a few days, yet there's no sign of the other half of the Secret Warriors.
- The Ace: Shuri is good at everything she tries, to the growing frustration of America, Kamala, Doreen, and Gwen.
- Big Anime Eyes: Squirrel Girl and Tippy-Toe get big shiny eyes of awe, complete with sparkles, as they watch Shuri disable the training machine.
- Blunt Metaphors Trauma: Squirrel Girl promises Shuri that the training machine will knock her socks off; Shuri replies in confusion that she's not wearing socks.
- Brick Joke: When the training machine finally knocks Squirrel Girl out, her socks come off.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Shuri's tech is stored in her bracelet, so when it's broken while she's on the oil tanker, she's left helpless until the Secret Warriors rescue her.
- Deflector Shields: Squirrel Girl shows Shuri the ideas she's had for a personal force field; the wind is taken out of her sails when Shuri tells her that such such force fields are common in Wakanda to keep children from getting hurt when they fall down.
- Didn't Think This Through: Shuri runs off to stop the oil tanker from sinking without informing the Secret Warriors. When they notice the accident and can't find her, they think nothing of leaving her alone because she can handle herself. As a result, Shuri is pinned by falling debris and nearly drowns, only being saved because her initial efforts to clean up the spill make it obvious to the Secret Warriors that she went to the tanker without their knowledge.
- Hypocritical Humor: Kamala telling the others (who are perfectly calm) to remain calm when they see Captain Marvel; meanwhile, she's the one fangirling out.Kamala: Ooh-ooh-ooh! It's Captain Marvel! Remain calm, everybody. Remain. Calm.
- Insert Song:
- "Side by Side" plays in the beginning as Shuri calls her brother.
- "Natural Disaster" plays during the montage of Kamala and Shuri going through a day at high school.
- "Team" plays as the team works to save the people on the boat.
- No Antagonist: There's no villain. The main conflict is in the Secret Warriors' growing frustrations at being outperformed by Shuri. Likewise, the boat accident is simply an accident, not caused by an external party.
- Visual Pun: Squirrel Girl promises that the training machine will knock Shuri's socks off. After Shuri manages to disable the out-of-control machine, Squirrel Girl falls back and a pair of purple socks fly off from her.