Granny O'Grady's Sleeping Beauty is a 2008 animated short film (six minutes) directed by Nicky Phelan.
A child huddles under her covers as thunder and lightning rage outside. Her grandma, the amazingly creepy Granny O'Grady, enters her room and screeches "Are you asleep?" Granny decides that what the little girl needs is a bedtime story, and despite the little girl frantically shaking her head "no", Granny busts out the storybook and reads "Sleeping Beauty". But in Granny's version of "Sleeping Beauty", the old crone fairy gives a very different curse.
- Art Shift: The parts where Granny is reading a story are animated in 3-D CGI. But the version of "Sleeping Beauty" Granny reads is animated in 2-D in a sort of South Park Clip-Art Animation style.
- Black Comedy: Comedic horror. The old fairy didn't get an invitation to the party because she smells like old sheets, or because she talks about her bad knee all the time, or because everyone assumed she was dead. For her part the old fairy hates young people "who still have muscle tone". So she casts a deadly curse.
- Buxom Is Better: One of the fairies flying to the castle for the christening of the princess is fussing with an ill-fitting bustier. Another one flicks her magic wand and gives the first one bigger breasts, which makes the bustier fit.
- Curse: Unlike the original "Sleeping Beauty" story, in Granny's version the evil old fairy curses all the partygoers, with a curse that they'll die when they fall asleep.
- Dramatic Thunder: The mood is set with thunder and lightning throughout the cartoon, as Granny reads to a terrified child.
- Evil Old Folks: In the "Sleeping Beauty" story, the old fairy, who hates young people, casts a curse on them that they'll die when they sleep. Granny for her part is basically the same way, clearly having fun terrorizing her granddaughter.
- Fairy Devilmother: The old fairy, enraged that she didn't get an invitation to the christening, casts a deadly curse on everyone at the party.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: In Granny's "Sleeping Beauty" the fairy is a stooped old crone less than half the height of the other fairies.
- Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep: The old fairy in the story casts a curse in which everyone at the party will die if they go to sleep. The cartoon ends with Granny crooning "Die if you go to sleep" as the little girl cowers in the bed.
- RevengeSVP: Granny doesn't get an invitation to the party, so she casts a deadly curse on the guests.